What the hell is Gordig doing now?

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,247
    edited May 2023

Tried a different approach to the foam. The geometry doesn't look as good, but at least the normals are correct. I need to declare this part of the project officially done so I can move on to something else.

CaseWhole3.png
    1280 x 720 - 576K
    Post edited by Gordig on
    edited May 2023

Got latches and a thumbprint scanner. Just the straps left, and then I can start actually doing something with all this. I also need to check these textures under proper lighting at some point, to see if I've actually wasted all this time trying to build procedural textures.

CaseWhole4.png
    1280 x 720 - 289K
    Post edited by Gordig on
    edited May 2023

The problem with being me is that I absolutely know that I'm doing this the hard way, but I am powerless to stop myself from continuing to pursue this path.

CaseStraps.png
    1280 x 720 - 371K
    Post edited by Gordig on
    edited May 2023

Textures aren't 100% there, but it's done enough that I can start setting it up for dynamics, and then finally actually animate the figure.

CaseComplete.png
    1280 x 720 - 707K
    Post edited by Gordig on
    edited May 2023

And here's what it took to make that case. See, Houdini is fun!

Casenodes.PNG
    604 x 537 - 55K
    Post edited by Gordig on

After banging my head against the wall trying to solve a problem that, if I'm being honest, didn't really need to be solved, I'm feeling pretty unmotivated to work on animations and am temporarily adjusting my focus. I've started shooting footage for a series I've wanted to start for a long time, going in-depth about language, especially as it relates to politics and current events. 

edited October 2023

Dipping my toes back into 3D by spending WAY too much time converting Chinatown to Arnold, even though I have no immediate plans for it. I did start building a scene with it, though, so I may post my first proper render in well over a year.

Chinatown Arnold 4.png
    1920 x 1080 - 5M
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Oh, I'll check back in a year or socool

Thanks for sharing, much of it reminds me of my struggles to convert stuff to 3DL PT shaders. I need proper heightmaps like the desert needs the rain lol, but most new sets seem to be basemaps, roughnessmaps and normalmaps...often coupled with suspect topology.

Great stuffsmiley

Sven Dullah said:

Oh, I'll check back in a year or socool

Thanks for sharing, much of it reminds me of my struggles to convert stuff to 3DL PT shaders. I need proper heightmaps like the desert needs the rain lol, but most new sets seem to be basemaps, roughnessmaps and normalmaps...often coupled with suspect topology.

Great stuffsmiley

Thank you. That's actually a frustration I have with Stonemason sets: very few surfaces have more than base and normal/bump maps, and some surfaces don't even have a normal/bump.

edited October 2023

Started working on a proper scene, so here's just some stage setting.

Chinatown Docks.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Post edited by Gordig on
    edited October 2023

Reframed it, added DOF and played around with the settings to try to get more interesting bokeh but was ultimately unsuccessful, and added some light bloom.

Chinatown Docks 5.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653

I think what you are doing is so interesting @Gordig!!

I am loving all the amazing animations!!

edited October 2023

Getting Cyberpunk Subway Station set up in Houdini with Karma, having to re-learn a bunch of Houdini's idiosyncracies.

CPSS.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • csaacsaa Posts: 812
    edited October 2023

Gordig said:

Getting Cyberpunk Subway Station set up in Houdini with Karma, having to re-learn a bunch of Houdini's idiosyncracies.

Gordig,

Great work! As someone who's also in the bring-Daz-stuff-into-Software-XYZ-and-then-get-it-to-render-there movement, I'm urging you to keep at it. I understand the satisfaction that comes with that kind of work. laugh

Cheers!

Post edited by csaa on

csaa said:

Gordig,

Great work! As someone who's also in the bring-Daz-stuff-into-Software-XYZ-and-then-get-it-to-render-there movement, I'm urging you to keep at it. I understand the satisfaction that comes with that kind of work. laugh

Cheers!

DS has been little more than a platform for getting Daz content into C4D and Houdini for a year or two now.

edited October 2023

Unfortunately, there isn't a train to go with the Cyberpunk Subway Station, so here's an interior and exterior shot of Subway Tunnel Environment in Arnold, before again converting to Karma.

STE Interior.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    STE Tunnel.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by Gordig on
    edited November 2023

Got the train set up in Houdini, but I haven't quite worked out the formula for getting a clean render with the darker, moodier lighting I achieved in Arnold. The tunnel is suffering this weird bug where I can only get one section to appear in renders, even though the whole thing is visible in the viewport, but it's fully textured.

STE Train Karma.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893
    edited November 2023

I'm clueless about Houdini, and this is the first I've ever heard of Arnold, but I love the moody subway renders! smiley A couple of years ago I watched a documentary about mysterious phenomena in the London Underground. It was really atmospheric with fun camera work, and your renders remind me of some of the shots from that.

Post edited by WinterMoon on

Arnold is Autodesk's rendering engine, so anyone working in Maya or 3DS Max is probably rendering in Arnold, but it's also available for C4D, Houdini and others. It's my favorite rendering engine I've used so far, and I've tried quite a few.

The tragedy of those renders is that after several hours setting them up, they'll only be on camera for a couple seconds in the larger project I'm working on. I'll also have a moody limo render soon that fortunately will take up a bit more screen time.

edited November 2023

Figured it was time to introduce the team:

4Syt - Elf decker. She's the de facto protagonist of this story, as probably evidenced by the fact that she's almost the only one I've named, despite dealing with these characters for quite a while. Due to trauma and survivors' guilt from losing her entire previous team on a run (as seen in Geeked), she insists that she's only a temporary member of the current team as she tries to remain distant. Despite this, her top-shelf decking skills make her an indispensable part of the team. She travels light (but don't worry, she's got subdermal armor to keep her safe) and doesn't like using a gun, so she relies on her incredible agility and cyberarm to incapacitate enemies.

Orc Adept. Haven't worked out too much about him yet

Human Shaman. An Amerindian, speaks with a heavy Central American accent, very serious, gruff and cynical. She's a wolf totem shaman, so if she gets injured, she'll go berserk on whoever's closest, even a teammate.

Human Rigger. Hispanic American, jokes around with the shaman a lot but also finds her a bit tiresome. Very jocular and easygoing but dedicated to his craft.

Orc Samurai. The heavy guns. Takes his immense size for granted to his own detriment, and it's a running joke that he will get wounded any time he goes on a run.

White Death - Dwarf sniper. I don't have plans for her beyond the initial mission, so she might just be a free agent. So named both for the irony and as an homage to Simo Häyhä.

I'm not worrying too much about textures here, since these all have been converted to different render engines at least once. Some clothing is subject to change.

4SytProfile.png
    2400 x 1600 - 4M
    AdeptProfile.png
    1800 x 1200 - 2M
    HeavyProfile.png
    1800 x 1200 - 2M
    RiggerProfile.png
    1800 x 1200 - 2M
    ShamanProfile.png
    1800 x 1200 - 2M
    SniperProfile.png
    1800 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by Gordig on
    edited November 2023

Quick and dirty render of an incidental character, a crime boss who gives the team a mission. After all the time I spent setting up the limo, I'm not sure how usable it's going to be due to UV and scaling issues. I guess if I just hacked together my own upholstery I could make it work, because even after trying to make a usable UV map out of the seating, it still looks pretty gross.

LimoScene.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Gordig said:

Quick and dirty render of an incidental character, a crime boss who gives the team a mission. After all the time I spent setting up the limo, I'm not sure how usable it's going to be due to UV and scaling issues. I guess if I just hacked together my own upholstery I could make it work, because even after trying to make a usable UV map out of the seating, it still looks pretty gross.

Could you ellaborate on the matter of UV issues, please? Was the limo UV-mapped or did you do it after import? I'm just trying to picture all the rabbit holes I'll fall into, if and when I decide to expand my digital universe...

That subway car in Arnold looks fabulous, btw. Also, nice bunch of characters;)

edited November 2023

Sven Dullah said:

Gordig said:

Could you ellaborate on the matter of UV issues, please? Was the limo UV-mapped or did you do it after import? I'm just trying to picture all the rabbit holes I'll fall into, if and when I decide to expand my digital universe...

I'm using Polish's Long Luxury Limo. This is what the UV of the upholstery looks like when I import it into Houdini:

And here it is after using Houdini's AutoUV SOP:

Neither is ideal, but the AutoUV makes it much less chaotic, and better results than the other SOPs I've tried. I could always manually UV it, but I would just about rather die. Somehow the section takes a material alright in DS, where the UV looks like this:

I haven't spent much time with it in DS, so I haven't tried other materials, but I can't see how it would work.

That subway car in Arnold looks fabulous, btw. Also, nice bunch of characters;)

Thanks!

UpholsterUV.PNG
    1133 x 699 - 1M
    UpholsternewUV.PNG
    1228 x 704 - 1M
    UpholsterDAZ.PNG
    740 x 754 - 5K
    Post edited by Gordig on

Tried a different method of fixing the UV, and figured out that what was bothering me was less the UV than the normals. Here it is again:

It's much more usable now from a texturing perspective, but it's still oddly shaped and sized, as if Polish at no point tried putting human figures in the limo to see how it looked.

LimoScene2.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,236

Fantastic, Gordig! Wow!

I love what you've already got going, but justb so you know, this is the Subway Train for that Cyberpunk Subway Station.

My trip is very much the opposite of what you seem to be doing. I've been converting Daz content for more than ten years and just plain got tired of it - especially after I saw my first try with Iray without making any changes to the product (Tean Josie 8) at all. My jaw hit the floor.

But no... I'm not trying to sway you... quite the opposite. You do You - especially if it makes you feel good! 

Wow. I had no idea that, even modeling is node-based in Houdini? Wow. I bet I'd love that! Unfortunately after checking it out, it's just too steep for me - at least right now. I simply cannot do "Non-Commercial Only" versions of software, so I tend to simply shy away before I get hooked into something I truly cannot afford. 

Whereas I started with DS and Iray and grew increasingly tired of their limitations. It's faster to get a decent look in Iray, but I have so much more control over a node-based shader like Arnold.

EVERYTHING is a node in Houdini. There are a lot of benefits to that, but I would never deny that it's quite a learning curve. Someday I'll make those tutorials. And Houdini indie is only $269 a year (or $399 for two years), so it's pretty reasonably priced. I get that it's hard to compete with free, though.

Gordig said:

Whereas I started with DS and Iray and grew increasingly tired of their limitations. It's faster to get a decent look in Iray, but I have so much more control over a node-based shader like Arnold.

EVERYTHING is a node in Houdini. There are a lot of benefits to that, but I would never deny that it's quite a learning curve. Someday I'll make those tutorials. And Houdini indie is only $269 a year (or $399 for two years), so it's pretty reasonably priced. I get that it's hard to compete with free, though.

That really is a great price for Indie. And node-based is such a powerful way to work - so fluid. Yes, it's hard to get used to at first, but it's so recyclable, repeatable and efficient. I absolutely Love Fusion, though I'm still pretty green with it. I can use it well enough, but 'knowing what to do' is where I need a lot more experience, which I'm now starting to get.

Arnold being yet another cost. There's no way I could put up with those horrible watermarks - even for a single day. It would kill me.

Daz Studio also has that free tier for OctaneRender. I really liked that a lot. But if the internet goes out, guess who can't render? Me. So that's when I started learning more about Iray and I've been really happy with it.

Truly though... Kudos to your massive and wonderful adventure!

Wonderful exploration, Amazing thread! I'm glad I found this! :)

edited November 2023

After....less struggle than I was expecting, if I'm honest, I figured out how to bypass the problem of geografts not exporting properly, so now my yakuza guard can have her cyber arm without Houdini crashing every time I try to load it.

Guard1victoly.png
    1280 x 720 - 237K
    Post edited by Gordig on