Shows That Inspire Animations

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,824

pure fantasy but visually awesome 

not all our Carrara animated stories need to be dystopian 

I really need to get my crap together and create a positive albeit less scientific one than this

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191

WendyLuvsCatz said:

pure fantasy but visually awesome 

not all our Carrara animated stories need to be dystopian 

I really need to get my crap together and create a positive albeit less scientific one than this

Yes, impressive production.  (Several minutes in, a silver heaired guy in a suit started talking about American history and the dangers of "wokeness"  I wondered how that fit in when I saw the "Skip Ads" button at the lower right.  Sheesh)

I've just finished a series of lectures on "Exoplanets" by a serious astronomer, Joshua Winn at Princeton. The next to last lecture is "The Search for Life on Exoplanets":   "Join the quest for life on exoplanets, focusing on the search for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI) - a hunt for signals from alien civilizations inspired by a landmark paper in 1959. See how the famous Drake equation points to factors that determine how many such civilizations may exist."  Dr. Winn is optimistic, but ackowledges the time involved may be VERY long ... 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225

UnifiedBrain said:

Thanks Diomede.  At this point, it is all that I want to work on.

Very cool! Which figure generation are you using? Carrara certainly is an amazing animation suite!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Dartanbeck said:

UnifiedBrain said:

Very cool! Which figure generation are you using? Carrara certainly is an amazing animation suite!

Since I'm learning to do everything by hand, I've used several generaltions.  They all work great.  I was hoping that your new animation course would give me a useful workflow, but if it is primarily for DS, then maybe not.

Regarding premade movements, I recently download the Bruce Hahne BVH files for V3 and M3.  A huge number of files.  PhilW says they basically don't work straight into Carrara, but the ones I have tried so far (walk cycles) work pretty well with only minor position tweaking.  The only issue is feet sliding.  Phil addresses this, but I haven't tried to fix it yet.

Regrettably, for the first time in many years, the time  I can devote to Carrara has shrunk to almost nothing.  Things will hopefully let up by mid-September.

the CGspeed DAZ/Poser conversions certainly work, just BVH import into Carrara onto existing skeletons doesn't

however one can always track key bone movements

UnifiedBrain said:

Dartanbeck said:

UnifiedBrain said:

Since I'm learning to do everything by hand, I've used several generaltions.  They all work great.  I was hoping that your new animation course would give me a useful workflow, but if it is primarily for DS, then maybe not.

Regarding premade movements, I recently download the Bruce Hahne BVH files for V3 and M3.  A huge number of files.  PhilW says they basically don't work straight into Carrara, but the ones I have tried so far (walk cycles) work pretty well with only minor position tweaking.  The only issue is feet sliding.  Phil addresses this, but I haven't tried to fix it yet.

Regrettably, for the first time in many years, the time  I can devote to Carrara has shrunk to almost nothing.  Things will hopefully let up by mid-September.

If you have the aniBlock plugin for Carrara, Daz Studio does an excellent job with BVH. Import them in there, then use aniMate to make new aniBlocks that you can then load into Carrara. I know that sounds like a mouthful, but it goes quickly and then you have a nice collection to bring in any time.

The course is mostly about creating custom pose dials for whatever figure you're working with, as well as a full workflow of how I use them to not only correct joint issues, but also to add my own artistry to the animation as well. There's a separate lesson demonstrating all of the dials I made for Rosie 7 (Genesis 3 Female - any characater) compared to Genesis 2 Male, who I haven't made dials for yet - showing what comes with a Daz figure compared to a possible new set of controls depending on what you need. The lesson that follows is how to create the dials, also demonstrating several ideas for things we can make dials for - we can get really creative.

Other lessons include the importance of making a base scene for each "Character" you're animating, creating custom partial aniBlocks (the main workflow shows why and how to use them), converting animations across generations. The main three part workflow is me starting an animation from a base scene from picking out the first aniBlock and applying a secondary partial aniBlock that entirely changes what the head and arms are doing, to baking that all to the timeline (In Carrara, I'd be doing this part a little differently. I'll have to do a YouTube on that for you. It's pretty smooth in Carrara) and discuss various tips and tricks I use to manage in the Daz Studio timeline before I dig in and start editing the baked result into a much nicer final result using these dials. That's the part that makes this instruction very helpful for anyone who uses Daz figures for animation. If you can manipulate dial on the figure, and you want to animate, this course will definitely help.

Not meaning to be a commercial, just that I know ytou've asked before. I hope this is a more meaningful answer.

Basically, following the course would have you customizing your Daz base figures with dials that you can use to fix and/or artistically manipulate the pose along your entire animation, beginning with me doing it in front of you - then I get to the 'how-tos'. 

By the way, does this one inspire anyone to animate at all?

@UnifiedBrain - I sent some notes in a PM

Dartanbeck said:

Very good, a great combination of scene and character animation.  yes

Dartanbeck said:

@UnifiedBrain - I sent some notes in a PM

Thanks!  Responded.

Steve K said:

Dartanbeck said:

Very good, a great combination of scene and character animation.  yes

OMG

I am usual Not a fan of many of the live action reimaginings of Disney cartoon movies.

I was eager to see The Jungle Book mainly because I love that original Disney version. I really liked the reimagining except for the destruction of the wonderful melodies. If they wanted to stray that far from the original songs, I felt that they would have been better off writing all new songs.

The Little Mermaid

OMG - the movie IS the original cartoon movie but with Amazing live action actors! The songs are true to their incredible original excellence and the cast is absolutely Spot On!!!

Okay... I'm inspired to animate! Okay, not fair. I animate every single day. But still....

Dartanbeck said:

OMG

I am usual Not a fan of many of the live action reimaginings of Disney cartoon movies.

The Little Mermaid

OMG - the movie IS the original cartoon movie but with Amazing live action actors! The songs are true to their incredible original excellence and the cast is absolutely Spot On!!!

Okay... I'm inspired to animate! Okay, not fair. I animate every single day. But still....

(Looking at the discussion title)  So ou think they should do an animated verison of "The Little Mermaid"?  wink

It's amazing how much of that "Live Action Movie" is animated. In fact, most of it is.

I just watched "Minority Report" (2002, directed by Spielberg, starring Tom Cruise) on the Criterion Channel, 7.6 at IMDB, four stars from Ebert.  At 2.5 hours, it took me a while to get through it, and I agree with some who saw the highly implausible action sequences as just a way to get Cruise to show off his action chops.  But there are some pretty good bits in there (it's a Philip K. Dick story directed by Spielberg after all).  Read the Ebert review at IMDB for more on this, but one I found great.  A secondary character who is a senior lady, at the end of a serious discussion with the Cruise character, kisses him on the lips for no apparent reason.  Reportedly unscripted and Cruise's surprise real, I'm thinking she saw her chance and took it.  And Spielberg said, "Yeah, leave it in, keep 'em guessing." 

edited October 2023

Very cool!

Anyone with Disney + here?

This six-part series has got me all fired up for animating and then making my animations better in post - much better than I've ever done.

"Light & Magic", a story that spans the time before Star Wars could be made to today - and beyond. The previous "Making the Impossible" ILM documentary was really good too, but this is better! EDIT: This one was produced by Lawrence Kasden, and he did an Amazing job!

It's crazy to think about how amny things we take for granted on our computers today might not be here as quickly if it wasn't for George, a fellow who doesn't know much about using computers, seeing a future in using computers to streamline how movies are made - so he sought out and hired people since everyone else looking for computer programming engineers at the time wanted office/business apps! Catmull and Blinn wanted to do CG imagery all along, but they knew nobody would fund it. Then in walks George! LOL

Great series!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Dartanbeck said:

"Light & Magic", a story that spans the time before Star Wars could be made to today - and beyond. The previous "Making the Impossible" ILM documentary was really good too, but this is better! 

Very good video, reminds me how far we've come.  My favorite FX program is Boris FX's "Particle Illusion" which has a free standalone version.  The video below is a very basic overview, there are many more tutorials online.  A couple of comments, this video does not demonstrate having your animation visible & playable frame by frame while adding and animating the "emitters", a key feature in my opinion.  Also, he mentions that the program comes with hundreds of preset emitters, a good thing because creating emitters is to me very confusing. I don't even try anymore since there is always a preset that does what I need.

I love particle illusion thanks to you!

I also really like the video set they put together. John looks, talks and acts just like my best friend growing up - which also helps. 

When I first started messing around with it, I didn't think I'd even make effects of my own, there are so many to just load. Within the first hour I had a few of my own creation - like that portal one I did a while back...

Whew! Found it on page four of my CG Art thread:

All done in Carrara except for the PI VFX in the protal - the first PI effect I even made. Kind of sucks... but it was fun!

Dartanbeck said:

... Within the first hour I had a few of my own creation - like that portal one I did a while back...

Very good!  Within the first hour I had thrown up my hands and got serious about testing the many, many presets and creating a file of favorites.  Which I use to this day.

Early on I got a little carried away:

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,082

Steve K said:

Dartanbeck said:

Love it!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,802

and who doesn't love getting carried away... awesome yes

maybe pigeons don't like getting carried away by hawks but that's another story..

I got carried away the other week watching full seasons in succession of ( Australian, UK, US and NZ ) the Traitors... dunno why, it just got me in..

now I'm watching Goosebumps on Disney+ pretty awesome CGI in that.. wink

and then I watched this yesterday for the millionth time laugh

Diomede said:

Steve K said:

Dartanbeck said:

Love it!

Me too!!! 

Stezza said:

and who doesn't love getting carried away... awesome yes

maybe pigeons don't like getting carried away by hawks but that's another story..

I got carried away the other week watching full seasons in succession of ( Australian, UK, US and NZ ) the Traitors... dunno why, it just got me in..

now I'm watching Goosebumps on Disney+ pretty awesome CGI in that.. wink

and then I watched this yesterday for the millionth time laugh

YouTube Video

Wow. Now that inspires me to animate!!!

You know, I still haven't seen Goosebumps. I should watch that.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,082

@Stezza - now that is inspiratonal!  My first time watching it.  yes

Diomede said:

@Stezza - now that is inspiratonal!  My first time watching it.  yes

+1

Like a lot of social media fads, I totally missed this one.

To me, a lot of mom and pop animators make nice scenes and characters, but do not fully realize how to creatively use the camera.  This guy is an obvious exception.

Naturally I had to look up the background story.

UnifiedBrain said:

Like a lot of social media fads, I totally missed this one.

To me, a lot of mom and pop animators make nice scenes and characters, but do not fully realize how to creatively use the camera.  This guy is an obvious exception.

Naturally I had to look up the background story.

Great video.  Somehow reminds me of probably the funniest short animation I've ever seen.  I recall the babysitter's voice acting was by a low level Pixar employee who just nailed it.  Especially at ~3:45, "The baby was exploding!"  I still say this on occasion to explain some goofy thing I do, much to my wife's amusement.

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

magaremoto said:

Pretty impressive character animation.  I'm also looking forward to GTA VI, Rockstar put out a trailer.

a great idea to explore in Carrara

I already can think of some DAZ sets or of course model our own

WendyLuvsCatz said:

a great idea to explore in Carrara

I already can think of some DAZ sets or of course model our own

Yes, very cool, some great animations.