Shows That Inspire Animations

Comments

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191

Diomede said:

Educational animation - not done in Carrara, but could have been.  Romans building aquaduct.

Yup, those Roman's knew their stuff as this nice animation shows.  A personal favorite is Trajan's Market, maybe the first multi-level shopping mall.

Trajan's Market.jpg
    2047 x 1452 - 1M
    Trajan's Market Exterior.jpg
    800 x 600 - 116K

We just watched "Matchstick Men" starring Nicholas Cage, directed by Ridley Scott.  Typical over the top performance by Cage (in a good way - four stars out of four from Ebert), maybe some ideas for an animated character.  The "Making Of" special features had one interesting item, the "Pre Production" phase lasted about a month with a couple of dozen "Department Heads" (!) riding around the Los Angeles area in buses with the director scouting locations. By contrast, at one 48 Hour Contest (making a 5 minute video in two days given a random genre, prop, character and line of dialogue at the kickoff meeting), we walked out of the kickoff behind another team.  The required character was a waiter, and one team member in front of us pointed to a restaurant across the street.  "Let's shoot there!"  

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817

will be watching this later

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Pretty impressive for a fan film.  Over the years I have seen some impressive 48 Hour videos (4-7 minutes), but also a lot of videos that are impressive for the first minute or so (titles, graphics, music), then fall off when the live action starts.  I watched this one somewhat into the live action, I think it stays high quality.  yes

• this imitation CandyCrush mobile game has the craziest ads

I could see Stezza and Diomede getting together to produce something like this in Carrara

I just finished Season 1 of "Vikings" (2013).  The review below is pretty spot on, IMHO.  The show has the appeal of being an entirely different culture from anything else (an inspiration for the Klingon culture in Star Trek TNG).  And certainly there are some great Viking 3D products available in Carrara friendly formats (one DAZ link below), many of which I own.  In particular, the show's many various shots of Viking villages, docks, ships, landscapes (actually Ireland!), etc. are impressive.  8.5 at IMDB, not too shabby.

https://www.daz3d.com/viking-village-bundle

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Vikings-The-Complete-First-Season-Blu-ray/70601/#Review

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079
    edited March 2023

Apparently, this music video was inspired by Robot Monster and similar low budget vintage scifi.  

deleted - link did not work.  sad

screenshot from video which I could not get back to.  

hints - theghoulygal on tik tok

weedian or vvedian on facebook

robot monster ghoul gal tik tok weedian or vvedian.jpg
    654 x 748 - 224K
    Post edited by Diomede on

A producer of B-movie horror and similar posted the following. B-movie monster movies seem like a good fit for 3D animation.  Could just be my biases.  There was a vintage monster movie called Reptilicus.  This clip includes flying scenes which were cut from the US release.  Not sure if they were shown in Australia and similar.

https://producerslibrary.com/preview/v0909_035?fbclid=IwAR1o5T4arxgmApem6k0NthPY7bkdy9gNcxhTavOSsFrHX9bPPx0XrvQ9f0Q

Diomede said:

A producer of B-movie horror and similar posted the following. B-movie monster movies seem like a good fit for 3D animation.  Could just be my biases.  There was a vintage monster movie called Reptilicus.  This clip includes flying scenes which were cut from the US release.  Not sure if they were shown in Australia and similar.

https://producerslibrary.com/preview/v0909_035?fbclid=IwAR1o5T4arxgmApem6k0NthPY7bkdy9gNcxhTavOSsFrHX9bPPx0XrvQ9f0Q

From the home page, looks like a pretty good resource overall.  I recall B Movie director Ed Wood saying he could make a movie from just stock footage.  Years ago I tried it with a big stock video collection from Digital Juice ... the result was predictably horrible.  I recall somebody made a full length Western using only clips from other Westerns and it almost made sense (the cliches are pretty standard), but I can't find it.  While I do my morning workout I watch various lecture series on DVD, then switch for a few minutes to an obscure channel that shows old Western TV shows.  They recently ran a "Rawhide" episode with Clnt Eastwood and a sidekick getting scared by a huge longhorned bull which was digging his front paws agressively into the dirt, bull fighting style.  The scene cut back and forth a dozen times between the goofy twosome running for cover and the enraged bull, but never showed them all together.  Plus the quality of the bull shots was noticeably poorer.  Pretty obviously stock footage.  cheeky

I have been watching a combination of broadcast TV and streaming channels for a couple of years now.  It is amazing how many streaming channels seem to be devoted to one vintage TV show.  There is even one for 'That Girl' with Marlo Thomas.  There are several devoted to Westerns.  I finally get the Randolph Scott joke in Blazing Saddles.  Haha.

On production, it definitely seems like a lot of distant establishment shots and action shots could be filled with stock footage.  If the characters go to Paris, do we really need to film the Eiffle Tower one more time?  And if the characters get in a car chase, will people really recognize one taken from an old Mannix episode?  I speak out of ignorance, of course.  I definitely notice now the same flood footage in a lot of disaster movies.

I've mentioned that I consider sound to be a big part of any video, and of course stock sounds are probably as common as stock video footage:  "The Wilhelm Scream is a stock sound effect first used in 1951 that became an oft-repeated inside joke for sound designers to this day. According to the National Science and Media Museum, the trademark yell has been featured in more than 400 films."

One of my prized possession is a [discontinued] four box set of sound effects from Digital Juice - a dozen DVD's in each box and a very good search engine with keywords and instant playback of many thousand sounds.  I got a little satisfaction for winning a "Sound Design" award for this video:

a real animator cheeky

https://www.youtube.com/@TheLoneAnimator/videos

uses Stop motion 

WendyLuvsCatz said:

a real animator cheeky

uses Stop motion 

Fun stuff.  I noticed the music is from Kevin Macleod, who as I recall makes it available free.

https://incompetech.com/

Steve K said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

a real animator cheeky

uses Stop motion 

Fun stuff.  I noticed the music is from Kevin Macleod, who as I recall makes it available free.

https://incompetech.com/

I use his music often  

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224

WendyLuvsCatz said:

YouTube Video

Wow. Thanks for the inspiration! I'll be watching it later too!

edited May 2023

A cool little Behind the Scenes from Disney:

I just bought this movie and really enjoy the movie - the story, the beauty of the breathtaking excellence WETA shows us in every single frame, the music, and especially the really Really good job of acting. Fantastic inspiration.

But then I went immediately to one of the three special featurettes that came with it. Three? Bummer. I was hoping for a Lot more!!!

There IS a Lot more.

The first of the three, Inside Pandora's Box, is over two hourse long, put together in series of topic. 

No wonder I was so taken in by the acting. Performance Capture has never been so accurate before. Many of the same (maybe all?) folks who did Alita's incredible performance took Avatar: The Way of Water to a whole new level - as is the way of WETA Digital. This made the performances of this brilliant, young new crew of actors and actresses from around the world really come through the CG like it isn't even there. 

I must say, this amazing featurette is just as entertaining as the movie itself - at least it is for someone observing and soaking in every bit of animation practices from these sources of excellence. I find it utterly nuts how much time and expense go into these things. Since much of the movie is in water, and it's a CG world, WETA had to perform probably every trick in the book for water simulations, in addition to learning how to write all new methods to pull of such a task. It's amazing in the movie, and incredible to hear the artists talk about how they did it! Yikes!

The one live action human is fantastic, and he really had the tough part of the job, since he was the only one not part of the actual shooting, but in the space by himself or blue stand-ins for contact purposes. The shots of him when he's really young are actually shots of him when he was really young! LOL  Shot those scenes then spent a couple years with a weight trainer to turn him into the Tarzan boy he is in the rest of the movie!!!

Fantastic cast, amazing CG, and I really love that James Cameron is telling these stories to help shine some light on the evils that progress can have on the pure, native life of a world.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

I forgot to mention some things:

The featurette that I was talking about is much Much more than anyhting I could find to share. I mean, no comparison. It's Awesome!

Also, Sigourney Weaver is fantastic! The fact that she gets the opportunity to play her 14 year-old self is sweet in its own right. But she doesn't just do it, she pulls it off in a Big way! James Cameron said to her something like: You're always acting fourteen. You got this! LOL

Of course Sam and Zoe and Steve Lang are amazing, and adding Kate Winslet and Cliff Curtis was a real gift! I was highlighting the young bloods because they were So Phenominal amongst this great cast. 

LOL

edited June 2023

Amazing!

I must remake the 1927 Metropolis.

Minor note.  One tool advertized in the remake Avatar yourself video is supposedly 98% off the first month, and still a dollar per month.  Just one tool.  surprise

Post edited by Diomede on

WendyLuvsCatz said:

LOL

" ... but I was running out of time and patience ... "  He lasted a LOT longer than I would have.  cheeky

very impressive 

WendyLuvsCatz said:

very impressive 

Indeed.  This comment was what I was thinking: "Can we take a moment to observe that one person ALONE managed to recreate all these scenes that at the time cost millions of dollars to make? I don't know what impresses me more: this person's talent or how far 3D technology has come."

Season 6 of Black Mirror starts out with "Joan Is Awful".  "An average woman is stunned to discover a global streaming platform has launched a prestige TV drama adaptation of her life - in which she is portrayed by Hollywood A-lister Salma Hayek."  7.4 at IMDB, very good and very funny, especially Hayek's nasty dialogue.  "Paper cuts in your hemorrhoids ... "  yes

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,695

Diomede said:

Pluto TV (free streaming service) is launching a 24 hour Godzilla channel.  Well, and his Kaiju friends.

https://www.remindmagazine.com/article/4269/pluto-tv-godzilla-channel-destroy-all-monsters-godzilla-vs-biollante-king-ghidorah/#:~:text=But starting Saturday, July 1,like King Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla.

My Nortons account has advised that there is a historical notification to the Dark Web of one of my email addresses related to Pluto.tv - be careful out there !!!

Bunyip02 said:

Diomede said:

Pluto TV (free streaming service) is launching a 24 hour Godzilla channel.  Well, and his Kaiju friends.

https://www.remindmagazine.com/article/4269/pluto-tv-godzilla-channel-destroy-all-monsters-godzilla-vs-biollante-king-ghidorah/#:~:text=But starting Saturday, July 1,like King Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla.

My Nortons account has advised that there is a historical notification to the Dark Web of one of my email addresses related to Pluto.tv - be careful out there !!!

Yowza!  Thanks for the warning.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Steve K said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

very impressive 

Indeed.  This comment was what I was thinking: "Can we take a moment to observe that one person ALONE managed to recreate all these scenes that at the time cost millions of dollars to make? I don't know what impresses me more: this person's talent or how far 3D technology has come."

+1

As someone new to animating, I really appreciate the clarity of this guy's videos.  I am more impressed with his skills that the tools. 

Getting used to the new workflow.  Currently waiting on a 15 hour render. :)

UnifiedBrain said:

Steve K said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

very impressive 

+1

As someone new to animating, I really appreciate the clarity of this guy's videos.  I am more impressed with his skills that the tools. 

Getting used to the new workflow.  Currently waiting on a 15 hour render. :)

Looking forward to seeing more animations.  Exciting.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Thanks Diomede.  At this point, it is all that I want to work on.

A different approach for sure - kind of like the difference between 2D chess and 3D chess.  Maybe there is a better analogy.

Started the render before bedtime.  Got up this morning, it was at 66%  Currently at 82%  The displacement I used in the scene really slowed it down.  But there was really no choice.  Some of the frames take almost a minute to render.  Wendy will be horrified! :)

UnifiedBrain said:

...  Some of the frames take almost a minute to render.  

In the 48 Hour Film contest (2 days to make a five minute video, given a random genre, line of dialogue, prop and character), I had a similar reason not to use VUE, which I love but is very CPU intensive.  An AMD 16 core/32 thread chip made it way more useable, down to several seconds per frame.  Carrara, OTOH, started backing up in time, producing animation frames before I even thought of them  ...  wink