Shows That Inspire Animations

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,249

The whole season is on Amazon Prime! Here's the first. What a Classic!!! Love this!

• the graphics in these new Souls games are just so awesome, I want to render stuff like this

is gameplay too!!!! not a cinematic

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,194

the graphics in these new Souls games are just so awesome, I want to render stuff like this

is gameplay too!!!! not a cinematic

Very impressive. I've been impressed by the TV series "Peaky Blinders" a gangster show set mostly in Birmingham, England after WWI.  Good stories and acting, but great visuals from the late Industrial Revolution days - big smoky factories, grimy canal barges, ominous row houses, etc.  Examples here: 

https://tinyurl.com/y69hwo5b

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

multipass

watcgubg 5th element again.  it really is a silly movie.  rubee rod

Mystiarra said:

multipass

watcgubg 5th element again.  it really is a silly movie.  rubee rod

A favorite of mine, 7.7 at IMDB, not shabby.  Plus Gary Oldman as the villain Zorg, always a plus:

Zorg: I hate warriors, too narrow-minded. I'll tell you what I do like though: a killer, a dyed-in-the-wool killer. Cold blooded, clean, methodical and thorough. Now a real killer, when he picked up the ZF-1, would've immediately asked about the little red button on the bottom of the gun.

[Scene shifts to Aknot, who is staring in confusion at the little red button. He shrugs and pushes it]

Zorg: [Casually smokes a cigarette as the room with the Mangalores blows up] Bring me the priest.

In the same vein as 5th Element, "Men In Black" with the great Tony Shaloub as Jeebs:

• macrame and bows

edited September 2020

"The Art Of Negotiation" with Tommy Shelby and Alfie Solomons from "Peaky Blinders".  Great writing, acting, scene setting, set design ...  (caution: language)

Post edited by Steve K on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,938

more Extraweg

Wow!

more Extraweg

I am reminded of Butch Cassidy asking The Sundance Kid, "I couldn't do that.  Could you do that?  How can they do that?"

A fun Halloween movie, "Sleepy Hollow" (1999).   Tim Burton directs Johnny Depp just before the "Pirates" movies, and starting to move in that direction - his character passes out half a dozen times when faced with violence.  And some great scenes of 1800 New York City and a country village.  "This is the best-looking horror film since Coppola's 'Bram Stoker's Dracula.'  "  (Roger Ebert, 3.5 stars out of four)  Plus Christopher Walken in  one of his typically understated roles <snort> ... image attached.

Sleepy Hollow Walken.jpg
    1169 x 857 - 206K

I have to add one line of dialogue from "Sleepy Hollow".  The Headless Horseman (Walken when he has a head ) has beheaded a dozen or more folks toward the end, and the ragged protagonist bunch led by Inspector Ichabod Crane (Depp) are trying to escape his wild swinging ax once again by running into a huge windmill structure.  As they pass throught the somewhat low door, Crane says "Watch your head!"  I almost fell out of my chair.  I prefer to believe Depp or somebody improvised that on the set and the director kept it.

laugh

Steve K said:

A fun Halloween movie, "Sleepy Hollow" (1999).   Tim Burton directs Johnny Depp just before the "Pirates" movies, and starting to move in that direction - his character passes out half a dozen times when faced with violence.  And some great scenes of 1800 New York City and a country village.  "This is the best-looking horror film since Coppola's 'Bram Stoker's Dracula.'  "  (Roger Ebert, 3.5 stars out of four)  Plus Christopher Walken in  one of his typically understated roles <snort> ... image attached.

I own this one and love it!

more Extraweg

The day before you posted this, I was drawing up the idea of using FluidosII to simulate rather horrific transformations of Satan for an episode I'm working on. It was really creepy to see this post the following day!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,938

cool little short film Youtube randomly recommended to me

Very good, thanks.  Thanks to Netflix, I've been watching a lot of foreign shows, e.g. "Nordic Noir".  Many choices, the best for me was "The Bridge", Danish/Swedish, 8.6 (!) at IMDB.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1733785/

edited November 2020

Another Netflix discovery, "Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories" (8.4 at IMDB) is a very different (for me) series of half hour little dramas.  Maybe like a Japanese version of "Cheers" but more drama than comedy.  Maybe more like O. Henry stories.  I've never been to Japan, but my cousin lived there for years after he got out of the Navy, and married a Japanese woman.  He spoke fluent Japanese (and Russian thanks to Navy training) and made a very good living back in San Francisco as a translator for high tech companies keeping up with Japanese patents.  He told me a lot of stories that helped me appreciate this series.  

Not sure it fits my animation technique with little or no dialogue, but if you're looking to do animation with dialogue from a different culture, give it a look.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6150576/

Post edited by Steve K on

inoved the tv series sleepy hllow.  loved the opening intro montage

Mystiarra said:

inoved the tv series sleepy hllow.  loved the opening intro montage

Yup, very cool ...

• Pokemon anyone?

Pokemon anyone?

Very impressive, the realistic hair @ ~0:10 especially caught my eye, I've never used any of the hair plugins ... 

• Steve K said:

Pokemon anyone?

Very impressive, the realistic hair @ ~0:10 especially caught my eye, I've never used any of the hair plugins ... 

probably Shave and a Haircut or Xgen, Max and Maya have some awesome plugins for such stuff

Trivia question, what shows starred a ship?
    besides enterprise  lol

recently watrched stargate universe.  kinda bad. doh.  starred the ship "Destiny"

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086
    edited November 2020
    Mystiarra said:

Trivia question, what shows starred a ship?
    besides enterprise  lol

recently watrched stargate universe.  kinda bad. doh.  starred the ship "Destiny"

Quark (Richard Benjamin as the garbage man of space)  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077066/

The Love Boat

The Gale Storm Show (sort of a 50s version of the Love Boat)  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048863/

Starblazers animated

Operation Petticoat

? Space 1999 ?  Is Moon Base Alpha a 'ship' once the moon is traveling through space?

? Gilligan's Island ?

McHale's Navy

Lost in Space

Post edited by Diomede on

Firefly.

https://screenrant.com/firefly-serenity-hidden-info-trivia-facts/

Great dialogue, e.g. during a wild attempt to escape an enemy fighter:

Caprtain: Just get us on the ground.

Pilot: I can gurantee that will happen.

edited November 2020

love starblazers heart The Yamato in the remake

The Orville

The Lexx

Battlestar Galactica

Post edited by Mistara on
    Steve K said:

Firefly.

https://screenrant.com/firefly-serenity-hidden-info-trivia-facts/

Great dialogue, e.g. during a wild attempt to escape an enemy fighter:

Caprtain: Just get us on the ground.

Pilot: I can gurantee that will happen.

Likely one of the very Best TV shows ever created, it had Rosie and I absolutely hooked!

Rosie always loved how characterful that wonderful ship was, especially when it lands!

Mystiarra said:

love starblazers heart The Yamato in the remake

The Orville

The Lexx

Battlestar Galactica

This old girl really takes us on a journey! All the way to earth, in fact! (sorry for that spoiler, but you really should have watched it by now!)

This show made Bear McCreary one of my favorite composers Ever! The music truly drives this show along with amazing writing/acting and some of the absolute finest VFX of the time - and on a TV budget/schedule - working overtime in LightWave!

Here's an incredibe concert by the BSG orchestra. The lead female vocalist is Bear's wife and the male singer/guitarist is his brother and, as you'll see Bear also does a lot of singing and playing as he conducts. Truly amazing stuff!

Steve K said:

Likely one of the very Best TV shows ever created, it had Rosie and I absolutely hooked!

For me, the humor set off "Firefly" from most scifi shows.  Here's a bunch of funny scenes, my alltime favorite starts ~2:56: