A well a bird bird flew off with my complaint thread

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,571
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Frank0314 said:
    We just got a UPS box today.

...does it "rattle".

How did you know I sent him a realistic toy rattle snake?
    ...it's explained in my sig below.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    Frank0314 said:

...does it "rattle".

Butterflies?

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    hike, bus trip, taxi back. picked up the new kim harrison 'ever after'. b&n cafe was packed. cute to see the family units out being together.

She Mantis is still here, she turned to face the holly bush. i think it's a boy holly bush, there's no berries.

starting up a fresh stew pot of klah. chicken quarters, sprig of rosemary, sprig o'thyme, chopped potato, carrots, strained tomato. no onion, i read it's bad for the bubbies.

..."Klah", sounds like a Klingon dish. But then the chicken would still have to be alive.

Klah is what they cook on Pern. they eat well at the Harper Master Hall. :)

found the real Nichelle https://twitter.com/RealNichelle - lovely woman.

Rashida Jones is adorable.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    Frank0314 said:

...does it "rattle".

Butterflies?

i clickied some dragon eggs :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    hike, bus trip, taxi back. picked up the new kim harrison 'ever after'. b&n cafe was packed. cute to see the family units out being together.

She Mantis is still here, she turned to face the holly bush. i think it's a boy holly bush, there's no berries.

starting up a fresh stew pot of klah. chicken quarters, sprig of rosemary, sprig o'thyme, chopped potato, carrots, strained tomato. no onion, i read it's bad for the bubbies.

..."Klah", sounds like a Klingon dish. But then the chicken would still have to be alive.

Klah is what they cook on Pern. they eat well at the Harper Master Hall. :)

found the real Nichelle https://twitter.com/RealNichelle - lovely woman.

Rashida Jones is adorable.

Klah on Pern is a substitute for Coffee, is made from the bark of a certain tree ground up and added to boiling water.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

We are suppose to get 1-3 inches of snow tonight and another 1-3 tomorrow. God I hate winter time

edited December 1969

Snow tomorrow :bug:

131111.jpg
    937 x 523 - 140K
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    We are suppose to get 1-3 inches of snow tonight and another 1-3 tomorrow. God I hate winter time

I just saw to note saying that southern Ohio (south of Columbus) is under a winter weather advisory. Most of West Virginia and eastern Kentucky might receive snow too.

I just noticed that the Lana texture for Genesis has black nail polish on her toenails. She has red nail polish on her fingernails.

Lana_shoes.jpg
    500 x 406 - 28K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited December 1969

are the fonts used for mass market paperbacks shrinking?

Some are, certainly. US titles used to be fairly dependable, UK ones less so, but I've had a few recently that have been unduly small.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    Frank0314 said:

...does it "rattle".

Butterflies?
    ...quite "innocuous" appearing little creatures they are.

Actually it is the line just below

edited November 2013

Snow tomorrow :bug:

...sunny and a rather pleasant 60° today Occasional sun and showery days ahead and pretty normal in the temp department.

Snow is rare here as the ocean usually moderates the temperatures. On rare instances when there is a large dome of arctic air from Canada that makes it across the divide and there is a storm out of the Gulf of Alaska do we get any significant snowfall that actually stays around. Then it usually lasts maybe about a week at best before it begins to warm up. The "transition day" is the worst as it usually means freezing rain until all the cold air gets scrubbed out of the valleys by warmer winds from the Pacific.

Snow also can be very locallised to just the Portland area due to the city's proximity to the Columbia Gorge. In winter we can get some persistent strong cold winds from the east out of the Gorge, so if conditions are right, it can be snowing in the city, but if you go say, ten miles north or south, it will change to rain.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

...well another "bad MAX day" in Portland. "MAX" is the acronym for the metro area's light rail system. Have five mail alerts about delays to three of the four lines caused by malfunctions. This has become somewhat chronic as of late to the point the transit commission has been posting apologies in the local paper and news site.

When one train has an issue, the entire line grinds to a halt affecting thousands of commuters. In the last several weeks two if not more lines have been affected on the same day, at the same time (conveniently during the commute hours of course).

edited December 1969

The blue, green and red lines are still having issues. Expect delays through 6 p.m. http://trimet.org/alerts/index.htm

that reminds me, I need to read about Seattle and Portland, Oregon.

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

Morning. Rain rain and more rain outside my window, but only a few drops at a time making everything slick rather than wet :)

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    Frank0314 said:

...does it "rattle".

Butterflies?

i clickied some dragon eggs :)

Dragcave seems to be down

edited December 1969

i have a visitor hanging out, literally, on my window screen. hoping he/she is still there when my proper camera battery charges.

unless a bird or a big lizard comes along . . . .

wuh oh.

there's a garden snake came by the window couple of times, last summer

Katy is still there. she's too high up for the snake to reach.
    i don't have anything tall enough to block her from birds seeing. it's like Rango in the yard today.

Something has a funny looking hat? :lol:

edited November 2013

The blue, green and red lines are still having issues. Expect delays through 6 p.m. http://trimet.org/alerts/index.htm

that reminds me, I need to read about Seattle and Portland, Oregon.

...one of the few things that makes me glad I don't have to commute to a job. Almost a day doesn't go by without at least one service alert. All totalled, received ten separate email alerts just for today.

When you get to write-ups on Portland, take any mention of how great the transit system is with a salt lick.

Though if you like good handcrafted beer or spirits (micro distilling has caught on as well), good Thai food, riding a bike, indie music, and don't mind ridiculously high rents or rain for seven months of the year, this is the, place to be.

edited December 1969

...just got back from the market and both hips and ankles are in agony. Feels like rain tomorrow.

edited December 1969

thanks for the tips Kyoto Kid. I might take Amtrak from Seattle and stop by Olympia, WA before continuing to Portland. Here is the weather report for Portland: looks like rain tonight and tomorrow and a few sprinkles on Wednesday.

Portland.jpg
    533 x 437 - 64K
    edited December 1969

thanks for the tips Kyoto Kid. I might take Amtrak from Seattle and stop by Olympia, WA before continuing to Portland. Here is the weather report for Portland: looks like rain tonight and tomorrow and a few sprinkles on Wednesday.

Still gloomy here as well :)

w.png
    210 x 171 - 18K
    edited December 1969

ah, sorry. I misread CP as PC. I gah, need more sleep. Stupid time change.

So long as time isn't running backward as well :lol;

edited November 2013

...yeah the train is a good way to get around this area not very expensive, especially if you reserve in advance (and Amtrak seems to be doing a lot of special deals lately). They just added two more trains as well.

Be prepared when going to Olympia, downtown has become a homeless haven as I understand. Used to be a hotbed for Indie Music when I lived there years ago. With the timber industry long gone the biggest employers are the State and local College. Even the old Olympia Brewery closed down ten years ago. Also the train station is not in the city proper but out on the southeast side of town. There is a bus that runs between the station and Downtown (#64) which runs all day 7 days a week, fare 1.25$. it does take a while as it is a local route. Not sure how much taxis are there anymore..

In Portland the Station is on the north end of downtown. Not the best of areas to walk through particularly after dark. I'd advise taking the Green or Yellow line light rail as they stop only a block away. Unfortunately the fare is high, 2.50$ a ride although you can get an unlimited day ticket for 5$. if you are visiting for a week you can get a seven day pass for I think 25$ (much cheaper than a single cab ride in some cases as taxis are expensive here).

Best areas of Portland

Northwest 21st & 23rd, lots of bistros pubs and boutique stores so expect to spend $$$. You can rod the "Stumptown Streetcar" (as I call it) to there. the fare is 1$ to ride the streetcar good for up to 2 hrs but not usable on other transit services. if you have a valid Tri Met ticket or pass it is good to use on the streetcar.

Southeast Hawthorne. This is Portland's "Bohemian District" (I usually hang out and do most of my shopping there). A number of good eateries pubs, shops, and a fully restored old time cinema palace (which is also a pub) are here. Reachable on the #14 bus which is one of the few lines with frequent service.

"Powell's City of Books" 10th & West Burnside. One of the largest independent bookstores in the country. they also have several satellite stores including one on SE Hawthorne and one at the Portland Airport.

Mount Tabor Park. An extinct volcanic vent cone on the Near Southeast side which offers outstanding views of the city from the "summit". Home to two of the city's remaining uncovered reservoirs. During the summer they hold an event called the Adult Soapbox Derby where intrepid designers and drivers pilot their unusual and often eccentric gravity powered racers down one of the steep curving drives. reachable by the #14 bus and a bit of a walk or the #15 bus.

Laurelhurst. An older upscale neighbourhood on the near east side with curving tree lined streets, nice old homes (some bordering on small mansions), and a lovely old city park. Reachable on the #20 or #19 bus. Perfect afternoon walk on a nice day.

OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) On the East bank of the Willamette River just south of the century old Hawthorne Bridge. Local science and technology museum with rotating exhibits, an Omnimax theatre, and a WWII submarine. Easy reach by #14 bus or Streetcar.

Forest Park. A huge city park and nature preserve over 5,000 acres in size on the east slope of the West Hills with upwards of 70 miles of hiking trails through preserved mid growth forest that stretches 8 miles north from West Burnside. South of West Burnside it connects with Washington Park which is home to Portland's Rose Garden, Zoo World Forestry Centre, and Hoyt Arboretum. The Wildwood trail which begins in Washington park cuts through the Forest park for some 27miles passing by the Portland Japanese Gardens and Pittock Mansion which offers views of five volcanic peaks. The Portland Zoo is also the site of the deepest rail station in the nation where the Blue and Red Max lines pass through the West Hills on their way to the western suburbs.

Council Crest Park. Just southwest of Downtown Council Crest is the highest viewpoint in the city (about 1,073' elevation). In the old days there used to be a streetcar which took tourists up to the park. Today it's the #51 bus.

Nightlife. There's quite a variety, from brewpubs, sports pubs, nightclubs, a couple small concert venues (including the restored Crystal Ballroom with it's "unique" dance floor), to more stoic venues like Keller Auditorium and Portland Centre for the Performing Arts. Best to know your bus schedules as most lines go off service before "Pub Time" (2:00 -2:30 AM).

If you are in need of a hotel, I suggest using Booking.Com as they cover pretty much all price ranges and include reviews.

edited December 1969
    edited November 2013

Portland sounds like a nice place to live. There is a Portland here as well, an old deep water port and whaling town on the shipwreck coast (pdf)

Post edited by ps1borg on
    edited December 1969

...Sandy may have been bigger in overall size but not even half the punch of Haiyan.

Wind gusts in excess of 220MPH and sustained winds of nearly 190MPH. That's basically the power of a borderline F3/F4 Tornado over a large area that lasts a long time.

edited November 2013

ps1borg said:
    Portland sounds like a nice place to live. There is a Portland here as well, an old deep water port and whaling town on the shipwreck coast (pdf)

...well, if you don't mind lots of rain and grey dreary days, make a very comfortable upscale living, don't mind paying inflated rental or housing costs, and don't need to depend on the transit system, yes.

At least the beer and whiskey is good and on a nice day the views of Mt Hood & Mt St Helens are breathtaking.

Wow, that is a lot of ship wrecks

edited December 1969

Thanks for the info. I just realized that my trip to the Pacific Northwest will cost a small fortune considering that I'm unemployed. I'm tempted to go on a cruise from Seattle to Alaska and Vancouver, British Columbia for a week. The cruise will cost about $2,300 USD. I'll also need to pay for airfare and hotel rooms. I better start saving my money now. lol

About the Amtrak station outside of Olympia: it is in Lacey. The bus takes 40 minutes to go from the Amtrak Station through Lacey to downtown Olympia. I'll let you know if and when I am going to Washington State and Oregon.

edited December 1969

...that would be great, If you plan to stay s few days, I can give you the "25 shekel" tour of Portland.

edited December 1969

Been trying to make puddles. Been raining all day a few spots at a time so they are everywhere you look today

net.jpg
    858 x 747 - 132K
    rfl2.jpg
    985 x 590 - 145K
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Been trying to make puddles. Been raining all day a few spots at a time so they are everywhere you look today

Is that one of the Movie Sets blocks by Dreamland? Or one of Stonemason's sets?

Dana

This discussion has been closed.