35th Daz3D Bryce Render challenge. The theme is ~#~ "Abstract" ~#~

Comments

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

Henryhor:

"The Homeless Hunchback"- looks very bohemian! "Superluminal intromission" - very pleasant metamorphic liquid.

-

adbc, Henryhor - thanks!

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited May 2019

Cheers, ed3Dyes

Wow, Henryhor, not only does the 'Homeless Hunchback' look abstract, but your title sounds abstract too.

Thanks also mtnmen smiley

Akmerlow, very cool, and I hadn't noticed the faces until Henryhor pointed them out surprise

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    Jamahoney said:
    Akmerlow, very cool, and I hadn't noticed the faces until Hentyhor pointed them out surprise

You see, it's dilemma laugh Thanks

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,124

akmerlow - Facing Dilemma came out excellent. Once this challenge gets to voting, we all will be facing dilemma. laugh

Much thanks for cheering up, Horo! smiley

• mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444

@akmerlow... Facing Dilemma... really great love the colors and the texture...

Here is my second entry

"Abalone"

used one displaced grid from Hexagon textured in Bryce with heavy glass set against a black backdrop with 5 spot lights and 6 radial lights all with  procedural texture gels

Abalone.jpg
    960 x 720 - 684K

mtnmen - that looks great, it has a bit of a liquid look with the specular and rainbow-like colour elements.

• huberthubert Posts: 410

@@akmerlow regarding "Facing Dilemma": Cocococo!   (**)

(**) = Cool concept, composition & coloring! :)
    edited May 2019

@@mtnmen: "Abalone" has a strange and fascinating material!

Post edited by hubert on
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 846

@Thank you all for your friendly comments.

Super, mtnmen...I'm probably wrong, but I think you've captured here the irridescent colours (link to Les Cowleys wonderful site) of the actual shell in where the animal lives.

Jay

edited May 2019

Second entrance: I'm basing this work around the old joke: 'do you like children?', 'yes, I love 'em, but I could never eat a whole one'. Again POV v FOV applied.

So, the title is: 'Love children, but never eat a whole one'.

Eater.jpg
    1096 x 537 - 540K

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,756

Akmerlow: superb colourful abstract.

mtnmen: also very good. Nice is that the much more subdued colours of your work still lead to a very lively abstract.

Jamahoney: Very funny. Not so sure whether I would consider this abstract. By the way, the eye of the eater appears to be popping out. I assume that is intentional? And there are some very hard shadowlines that you might want to work on (e.g. on the upper lip and from the nose to the mouth). Hair looks very good, though.

edited May 2019

Thanks, Hansmar...very observent - as to what abstract is...well???

Jay

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,985
    edited May 2019

Cheers_

Jamahoney :     'do you like children?   _  _very cleaver

Post edited by ed3D on
    edited May 2019

Ed3D...I have two nieces, two nephews, and they are the light of my life. I want to explore more with your comments: what are you actually asking???

Jay

• HenryhorHenryhor Posts: 258

@ Jamahoney:  

Jamahoney said:

Wow, Henryhor, not only does the 'Homeless Hunchback' look abstract, but your title sounds abstract too.

Thanks for the comment. The metaballs on the left seemed to have a hump but couldn't be considered as a camel so I called it "the Hunchback". And since Notre Dame in Paris is severely damaged the Hunchback is homeless now... Long ago I made a pic called "Romeo's liquefaction on my bathroom wall (and Juliet doesn't feel very well either)". My best title ever.

Eating kids is like eating shrimps. Better remove the head. With ed3D's cleaver.devil

@ mtnmen: magical cave. One expects an apparition.

Oh wow, Henyhor, never picked up on the 'Homeless Hunchback' reference to the sad demise/burning of Notre Dame...apolgies for my ignorence.

I (like so many tourists) walked through its interior once...and what a wonderful experience - that window...phew. Let's hope the billions (yes, controverscial) will restore it back to how it was.

Jay

Jay - I rather see eating children as abstract than a bad habit. devil Though I agree with Hansmar's observations, I thought it was intentional to emphasize the abstractness.

edited May 2019

Cheers, Horo, abstract can be abstract (the very notion that we are discussing 'abstractness' is, in itself, abstract - think self-awareness, time-awareness....phew...heavy stuff).

I think the theme that abstractness isn't just a representation of confusing-like pictures, images, etc., open to interpretation, but, more that on another level, the conscious and sub-conscious becomes exposed...visually.

Jay

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,001

Akmerlow - wow awesome colors, cool idea Facing Dilemma

Mtnmen - beautiful render, love the colors

Jay - eating children, cruel but lovely render

@@Jamahoney: A nightmarish concept which could possibly be solved........... with plenty of ketchup. ;)

Teasing aside: This scene could also depict your Inner Child which takes a curious look at the World.

edited May 2019

mtnmen, hubert, Hansmar, mermaid010 - thanks!

-

mtnmen:

"Abalone" - wow, this is something slippery and slimy!

Jamahoney:

Thanks for that sea shell link. Live and learn, as they say.

"'Love children, but never eat a whole one" - ha, this one is eccentric! Expressions of their eyes are very surreal.

I think i have slightly different interpretation of vision:

I see child as passenger, and man-eater's head as some sort of transport, like airship of sorts. So he doesn't eat children, instead he is taxi for them. Or maybe his head is tower, so mouth is window? Which is close to what hubert proposes above.

Post edited by akmerlow on

horo, hubert, jamahoney, hansmar, mermaid010, akmerlow  thanks for the great comments, and Jay... thanks for the link..I love irridescents

@jamahoney...Love children... at first I said this isn't abstract but more surreal... however, your thoughts about abstract thinking etc has brought me over to looking at this as abstract thought rather than just a physical depiction...  very good! I like multi-dimensional thinking...

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 489

Gonna give this a try.  I call it Electric Taffy

Electric_Taffy.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    @fencepost... Electric Taffy... Absolutely stunning

Super cool, Art.

edited May 2019

I'm back with another entry.

I wanted to make something different. So if my previous render was based on applying psychedelic materials to imported figure, this time i decided to do some modelling in Bryce. Need to say, after being used to other applications (which are polygon modelling mostly and with more modern ergonomics which allow more quicker interaction through keyboard/mouse shortcuts), trying to construct in Bryce felt a bit tedious - but perhaps i haven't optimized my methods yet, though using director's camera helps greatly because of it's easy option of center object tracking. I also didn't understand whether Bryce refuses to accepts values like 0.2 when i input them in Attribute, as it was changing it to closest full number instead; so i had to move objects manually instead. However, now i appreciate Bryce's approach to booleans - that you can object placement and function at any time as it's not "applied operation".

So, this "Sculpture" which i tried to do. It's based on sculpture that i saw in book and liked. It's "Le Clown" by Henri Laurens, who was french cubism style artist (more information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Laurens ). Original looks like this: https://www.kuma.art/de/file/11477 . My recreation isn't precise as i think i didn't get all proportions and attitudes of elements right, and i also simplified some parts. I also gave it metallic material without additional drawings on surface together with pedestal while original looks like painted gypsum. 

I guess this is my first render to use "premium" mode, as on "regular" image is much more noisy. Used HDRi is by Horo, i think, from "gemstones".

henrylaurens3.png
    640 x 800 - 725K
    Post edited by akmerlow on

akmerlow - very well done model inspired by the clown. Subdivision modeler like Wings3D, Hexagon, etc. are currently more popular than booleans. I like booleans. Strange that 0.2 is not accepted in the attributes. What parameter was it?