Denoise renders and save a LOT of time! (Nvidia not Reqd)

1789101113»

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140

Too much noise for my tastes.  The ON1 has sliders to control all that!  

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,298

Eamon said:

Working on a new book cover that required some lighting that's making things very grainy. This is a 24 hour render on my iMac (24gb 4 GHz Intel Core i7) I know if I render it at massive size size and shrink it down it will help but is there anything esle in the render settings that can improve the quality? I have since switch on Denoiser and started another render at tripple the size. I will have a look tomorrow to see if it better. 

[img]www.eamonart.com/Render-1.jpg[/img]

If you're trying to use the Denoiser integrated into Daz Studio, I believe it is absolutely reliant on an Nvidia card, so will not provide any benefit to CPU rendering. (I'm not certain why it would still be implemented in the Mac version, but then I don't know if there's any way to get Nvidia cards to work through an external GPU enclosure or the like).

Apple has no native support for NVIDIA?  surprise

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,298

Apple and Nvidia had a major falling out some time back. I don't know if that's been resolved more recently, but the major limitation with using DS on a Mac (at least when it works at all) has traditionally been the lack of CUDA compute capability.

WOW  Good to know.  Glad my preferred OS is Windows!  

Very cool.  He's is always so generous with his scripts! 

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,712
    edited December 2022

RAMWolff said:

Too much noise for my tastes.  The ON1 has sliders to control all that!  

Yea, I'm not too fond of the result either in general, just wanted to show it for a comparison.

But it seems to depend a lot on the source render, here's another before/after sample denoised with the NVidia denoiser and that look spretty neat to me.

sf_apartment_01.png
    1860 x 933 - 4M
    sf_apartment_01_nvidia.png
    1860 x 933 - 1M
    Post edited by Taoz on

Oh yes, that looks really nice.  I'm guessing that AI will def play a huge roll in these denoisers as in order to get skin, fur, body hair and all that micro detail details done right that would be needed to add back in just the right amount of noise to keep from gettings things too smoothed out.  On environments like this it's not an issue at all.  

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

Any denoiser will only be as good as the pixels it has to work with. The more pixels it has, the better the result will be.  Meaning, the larger your render resolution, and the more converged it is will give better results. Small renders are hard for denoisers to work with.

The recent pic with the lady, her face is but a small portion of the picture with only so many pixels dedicated to it. I would try making a large render closer to her face, denoise that, and edit the result back into the original. I know it might be tricky getting the face resized into it, but I think it would be worth it if you want that detail.

The Topaz denoiser, and pretty much all other commercial denoisers are focused on photography rather than computer renders. Their definition of noise is a bit different. They will also create features that were not there in the original pic, basically taking liberties. The Nvidia and Intel denoisers are designed with rendering in mind, and don't add new features. They are focused simply on removing noise. When you have a small render, the noise pixels are larger, and this is why the result might look soft.

And then there's the lack of Albedo and Normal AOVs for DS renders, so you don't get the optimal quality from the denoisers.

outrider42 said:

The Topaz denoiser, and pretty much all other commercial denoisers are focused on photography rather than computer renders. Their definition of noise is a bit different.

I suspected that.  I tried to run normal photos through the NVidia denoiser once and that didn't seem to have much effect, if any.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

I prefer quite a bit of noise when I render but I know no one else does so I render past that most of the time. Maybe it's those floaters in my eyes that I've had since childhood influencing my render tastes.

• RyderRyder Posts: 16

I mean, you have to sacriface a lot of detail too if you using denoise.

• Does anyone have any idea why using both the Nvidia and Intel denoiser result in a HUGE filesize decrease? (which probably effects the quality of the image)

• Dazzle said:

Does anyone have any idea why using both the Nvidia and Intel denoiser result in a HUGE filesize decrease? (which probably effects the quality of the image)

To which format? In general it is harder to compress a noisy image than a clean one, so running two denoisers may well make a noticeable difference to file size.

edited March 2023

Might I suggest ON1 NoNoise AI 2023 instead?  It's free for 14 days and works allot better!  It's got a drag and drop interface too.  

While it's not free it works better, in my opinion, than the older drag and drop freebie you are asking for.  I have it and if it was OK to share it I would but there are rules and laws about sharing such files without the explicit permission of the author!  

Post edited by RAMWolff on

Also if you use Affinity Photo they have a built in one under Filters>Noise.Denoise with some helpful sliders to make your photo look it's best.  

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 440
    edited October 2023

Is there any way in Daz Studio to set the denoiser to be enabled and on by default when DS loads or loads a new scene?

Post edited by jjoyner on
  • For a blank new scene you could use Edit>Preferences>Scene to set it to load a scene with those settings saved.

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 440

RIchard,

Thanks.  That's probably the easiest route to take.