CAR AND BIKE LOVERS THREAD - MARK III

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

She's afraid someone might steal it but hasn't realized that they could just pick it up and toss it on a flatbed

Almost put it in a pocket...

Where's the one for the other foot?

• usherstangusherstang Posts: 89
    edited December 1969

did any 1 see my render that i posted? i am about to enter it into a contest on the warehouse so feedback would be appreciated.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,269
    edited December 1969

Just a heads up New at Rosity by adh3d

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/1963-ford-galaxy/103445/#

63FordGalaxie.jpg
    900 x 600 - 61K
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

Well, modelling is done and I've got the material zones set up, but no UV maps yet, so currently, if I took this into DAZ Studio now, I could put shaders on it, but no mapped textures. I know at least the tires, handlebars and "tins" need UV mapping. The Tires need mapping for the bump/displacement maps needed for the treads. The handlebars need it for the computer screen and touch pad textures, and the tins need it for custom graphics and other details (like the flush gas cap for the gas tank, which wasn't modeled). However, I'm not sure if every single component needs to be mapped since most of the components won't get mapped textures specific for them. So, what do you guys think, map only the parts that absolutely need it or do I need to UV map everything?

WIP-65.jpg
    1373 x 814 - 237K
    WIP-64.jpg
    1373 x 814 - 279K
    WIP-63.jpg
    1373 x 814 - 260K
    WIP-62.jpg
    1373 x 814 - 310K
    WIP-61.jpg
    1373 x 814 - 310K
  • usherstangusherstang Posts: 89
    edited December 1969

nice work TG did u c my render i posted?

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited March 2014

Hey everybody! I have busy in real life and been away. Had two family members have to go into the hospital for short stays. All is well now though. Got to leave again this Tuesday for an out of state hospital stay though.

Lots of very nice renders and links. Betsy, you are a rendering fool lately and gettin better each time. That Super 88 is calling my name...may get that one for the collection. Jim, thanks for all your help and support up in here. Great guy you are. The girls new gowns are clock stoppers...lol. Tramp Graphics, the bike is looking awesome! It may be possible to rig it in Poser debut, not sure though. Robert, the Galaxie is ok, but looks more like a 63 or 64 chevy Impala to me. Thanks for the heads up though.

Thanks everyone for posting your love for cars and bikes. Great job guys. Now....I got to go buy a 55 super 88...lol.

:-)

1956FordF100Daz2.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 259K
    Post edited by music2u4u on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

a Just because I could, a play for the Weekly PC. Hope you guys like...

The View
    The view always depends on your personal view...

The_View.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited March 2014

Well, I've got the "important" parts UV mapped, specifically the tires, front fairing, rear fairing, lower fairing, handlebar assembly, gas tank and jet engine shells. Those are the only parts that actually need mapped textures, and for some of them, it's only because parts of them will use a mapped texture(such as the touch pads and monitor built into the handlebar assembly. Thankfully, everything else can use shaders and seamless textures since there really isn't enough space on the grid for every piece of this bike to be UV mapped.

WIP-70.jpg
    1373 x 814 - 534K
    WIP-69.jpg
    1373 x 814 - 538K
    WIP-68.jpg
    1373 x 814 - 489K
    WIP-67.jpg
    1373 x 814 - 527K
    WIP-66.jpg
    1373 x 814 - 497K
    Post edited by Tramp Graphics on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

super - great job

edited December 1969

Thanks. I haven't collapsed the geometry yet, but it's basically ready for rigging. I don't even know if I'm supposed to send this to Daz Studio for rigging as a single object file or in pieces, I'm so far out of my element it isn't funny. I'm way over my head with this. If anyone else with more experience is up for the challenge, I'd really appreciate the help.

• GLWoodardGLWoodard Posts: 3,335
    edited December 1969

Bethany likes and wonders if its for sale, or at least the owner is available!

bethany_likes.jpg
    1900 x 1134 - 759K
    edited December 1969

Well, here's my first test render of the bike. I haven't made any texture or bump maps yet, so this uses just Shader presets. I think I might have to rework the front steering pistons where they connect to the lower swing arm. Right now, they're mounted at the back of the piston, From the few bikes I've seen The rotation point for the pistons are typically up at the front of the piston. It would mean making a "plug" for the back end and figuring out how to locate the new pivot point.

Hell-Rider-Bike-Test-Render-1-(small).jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 401K
    edited December 1969

Here's another test render, this time with displacement maps made for the tire treads. I'm currently rendering the bike again from a different angle to show off the gas tank (which also uses a displacement map for the gas cap), and the monitor and touch screens built into the handlebars. I'll post that pic tomorrow.

Hell-Rider-Bike-Test-2-(small).jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 406K
    edited December 1969

And, as promised, here's the pic from behind the bike showing off the gas tank rear wheel, tail lights, and display screen. While working on the textures I noticed some problems I need to fix on the UV maps, so some of these textures are only temporary.

Hell-Rider-Bike-Test-3-(small).jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 392K
  • artd3Dartd3D Posts: 165
    edited December 1969

I am trying to recreate a 1991 Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4 which I owned.

I downloaded this model from 3d warehouse, but as a noob modeler I have no idea
    how to round up the wheel wells and tires, as they are extremely jagged.

Other than that the model is pretty nice, and I have textured it to the the exact color I owned, having
    kept the original sales brochure when I bought it.

Any direction would be much appreciated.

I somehow posted this as a separate post when I meant to post it here.

3000_GT_VR4.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 237K
  • CherokeeCherokee Posts: 292
    edited December 1969

Revisiting Charleston but with a 1960 Cadillac. GTA conversion rendered in Poser Pro 2012.

1960_Cadillac.jpg
    1147 x 877 - 157K
    edited December 1969

Cherokee said:
    Revisiting Charleston but with a 1960 Cadillac. GTA conversion rendered in Poser Pro 2012.

Nice Caddy, I tried to rework that one in Blender, and some of the parts that needed to disappear wouldn't disappear!

edited December 1969

betsy662 said:
    Cherokee said:

Nice Caddy, I tried to rework that one in Blender, and some of the parts that needed to disappear wouldn't disappear!

It is a nice mesh. Tried to convert it in ZModeler but it came out as crap. I loaded it in Blender to do the conversion. Not sure why you couldn't get those parts to disappear. The only problem I have with Blender is it didn't save the model's Group Names (It saved it as one group) or the Material Names (Materail names were Mat_buccanee., Mat_buccanee.001, Mat_buccanee.002, etc. all the way to Mat_buccanee.138. Because of that, I had alot of work and trouble trying to figure out what was what.

edited December 1969

Cherokee said:
    betsy662 said:
    Cherokee said:

It is a nice mesh. Tried to convert it in ZModeler but it came out as crap. I loaded it in Blender to do the conversion. Not sure why you couldn't get those parts to disappear. The only problem I have with Blender is it didn't save the model's Group Names (It saved it as one group) or the Material Names (Materail names were Mat_buccanee., Mat_buccanee.001, Mat_buccanee.002, etc. all the way to Mat_buccanee.138. Because of that, I had alot of work and trouble trying to figure out what was what.

It had an anomaly under the hood that just stayed there, the mesh is very nice, it was done by Dan Polatnik, so you know its a quality mesh to begin with, if I can find it anywhere other than the gta classics website, I might be able to get a working mesh.

edited December 1969

The best way I found to find out what goes where when it comes to doing the material presets on my gta converts is, I will use that horrible lime green color on each part, once the part comes up in green, then I use the appropriate shader to color it.

edited December 1969

betsy662 said:
    Cherokee said:
    betsy662 said:
    Cherokee said:

It had an anomaly under the hood that just stayed there, the mesh is very nice, it was done by Dan Polatnik, so you know its a quality mesh to begin with, if I can find it anywhere other than the gta classics website, I might be able to get a working mesh.

I got mine from here http://www.gtainside.com/en/download.php?do=detail&cat=152&start=16&id=44991&orderBy;= . It's probably the same car.

• none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
    edited December 1969

@Cherokee.
    Nice render. I've been considering Zmodeller just for the WFT, or is that WTF conversion. But I'm reluctant to give my credit card details to a one man band operation.

@artd3D.
    Depend's on what modeling program your using. In Blender I would select the tyres and add a smoothing modifier and maybe add a couple of edge loops, then sharp edge adjust the corners with SHIFT-E to achieve the radius edges. I look at the geometry if I use the smoothing, as it rounds of sharp corners and that's not what you would want on the hood for example, as you would then need to sharpen up some areas with the SHIFT-E.
    The arches, hmm not tried that as yet, but in Blender you can cut poly's into smaller ones with the knife tool, as it adds the extra edges and verts. then maybe pick all the faces in the arch in the horizontal add Smooth. You'd probably have to do a little tweaking with the verts.

edited December 1969

Cherokee said:
    betsy662 said:
    Cherokee said:
    betsy662 said:
    Cherokee said:

I got mine from here http://www.gtainside.com/en/download.php?do=detail&cat=152&start=16&id=44991&orderBy;= . It's probably the same car.

Same problem, loads into Blender okay, after about 15 minutes, typical for one of Dan Palatnik's meshes, the anomaly is still there, however, if I take the main body into edit mode, it disappears, really weird, but if I export the obj, then the anomaly shows up in DS with the rest of the mesh!

edited March 2014

OK, I could use some rendering/ lighting advice here on the bike. The bike's headlights, turn signals and tail lights uses this set of glass shaders for the lenses and light bulbs and the Ultimate Shader Pack for the reflective housings. The problem is, they're not really illuminating realistically when lit. I reset the ambient settings for the bulbs to 100% white and loaded a spot light into the headlight, and linear pin lights into the turn signals/side lights, and tail light, but they really isn't do much, if anything to light up the lenses and reflective surfaces inside the lights, the way glowing light bulbs should. The "Camaro" in the picture simply has opaque surfaces for the lenses of the headlights and tail lights, and setting the "ambient" brightens them fine, but not really all that realistically. What can I do to really get the bike's lights to really look like they're realistically lit while maintaining the proper look of the glass lenses and mirrored housing surfaces? It's lighting like this, this, and this that I want.

Cruisin-(small).jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 390K
    edited December 1969

I don't know if this will help you. I do all of my renders in Vue.
    It has settings for Luminous and glowing material.

This is a scene I created showing the effects you want.

Their is a free version of Vue Pioneer which you can get if you
    don't have Vue. It does leave a watermark in the bottom right corner though.

Hummer_at_night2.jpg
    1617 x 908 - 314K
    edited March 2014

This screenshot shows the material editor settings which I discussed in my previous
    post.

Edit:

The free version does not let you import.
    There is a version called Vue Frontier for $100.00 which lets you import Poser and
    Collada files. There are also no watermarks in this version.

material_editor.JPG
    791 x 671 - 172K
    Post edited by artd3D on
    edited March 2014

artd3D said:
    This screenshot shows the material editor settings which I discussed in my previous
    post.

Edit:

The free version does not let you import.
    There is a version called Vue Frontier for $100.00 which lets you import Poser and
    Collada files. There are also no watermarks in this version.

No, that doesn't help. I did pick up the free Vue Pioneer to try and convert a Ninja Training Grounds freebie I found on Share CG, but the program wouldn't recognize it, even though it had been specifically made for Vue. I work in Daz Studio for all my rendering and scene layouts.
  • none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
    edited March 2014

Luxus/Luxrender would be able to produce something along those lines. You can add a Bloom around a light from within the Luxrender GUI, I've added a little, but because the light source is a sphere it produces a round haze, so I think I would need to apply a light source to the lens cover to get the correct shape bloom.
    Quick render to only 20S/p.

/Edit Added another with more Bloom. 25S/p.

Luxrender_Bloom.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 35K
    Luxrender_Stop.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 38K
    Post edited by none01ohone on
    edited March 2014

Luxus/Luxrender would be able to produce something along those lines. You can add a Bloom around a light from within the Luxrender GUI, I've added a little, but because the light source is a sphere it produces a round haze, so I think I would need to apply a light source to the lens cover to get the correct shape bloom.
    Quick render to only 20S/p.
    Yeah, I don't have Luxus Luxrender. I work in 3Delight only. The main problem is the lenses and reflector surfaces aren't catching or amplifying the "light" and the bulbs aren't really glowing to fill the entire interior of the lights with light, even with the spotlight inside the headlight set to 200%. Like I said, I upped the opacity of the light bulbs and set their ambient settings to 100% white, to simulate a glow (just like the tail lights of the Camaro, but that doesn't really look right when I tried that with the glass surfaces of the lenses, nor the mirrored surfaces of the bike's lights. I know with Uber Environment lights you can make surfaces into light emitting surfaces, though I don't know how to do that, and never use uber environment lighting (I doubt my computer could handle it), but I'm not sure of a way to do that with a transparent glass surface using regular lights.
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I don't have Luxus Luxrender. I work in 3Delight only. The main problem is the lenses and reflector surfaces aren't catching or amplifying the "light" and the bulbs aren't really glowing to fill the entire interior of the lights with light, even with the spotlight inside the headlight set to 200%. Like I said, I upped the opacity of the light bulbs and set their ambient settings to 100% white, to simulate a glow (just like the tail lights of the Camaro, but that doesn't really look right when I tried that with the glass surfaces of the lenses, nor the mirrored surfaces of the bike's lights. I know with Uber Environment lights you can make surfaces into light emitting surfaces, though I don't know how to do that, and never use uber environment lighting (I doubt my computer could handle it), but I'm not sure of a way to do that with a transparent glass surface using regular lights.

Totally wrong approach...3Delight lighting bears very little in common with real lights, so making 'reflectors' reflective isn't going to help much. For bloom/rays/haze you need to use volume shaders, volume cameras or do it in post.

Or use area/mesh lights (UberArealight...not UberEnvironment).

And yes, they would still emit light, when transparent.

This discussion has been closed.