CAR AND BIKE LOVERS THREAD - MARK III

Comments

• usherstangusherstang Posts: 89
    edited December 1969

betsy662 said:
    And here's another variation of the same car!

leave it to lowriderfreak to post these great classic on the warehouse

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,282
    edited December 1969

John Sims said:
    Well, I've got the new steering control system completed as well as the brakes and miniguns. All I need now is the front fairing. Finding the right place to mount the guns and fitting the ammo drums was not easy.

I don't know, I always seem to be the negative one. The guns seem to have a pretty minuscule calibre.

The whole point of the revolving barrels in a mini gun is to stop the barrels overheating. They overheat due to a very high rate of fire. This being the case your magazines would empty in seconds.

This link might be of interest.

http://military.discovery.com/tv-shows/ultimate-weapons/videos/ultimate-weapons-dillon-aero-gatling-gun.htm

and another

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3vGobePvnTQ

A .22LR mini gun would be pretty unpleasant for a soft target but not much use against anything else.

You were the one who said you wanted everything to be physically accurate. ;-)

I don't know what caliber those are supposed to be on the model but as for size the M-16 fires a .223 caliber bullet that's the same diameter as a .22 Long rifle
    The difference between them is in the weight and shape of the bullet and the size of the cartridge and powder charge.
    There have been attempts made to arm motorcycles throughout history none of which proved to be truly practical due to the limited carrying capacity of the machines
    Ammo gets heavy and takes up a fair amount of space quickly.
    At a guess I would say using drum type magazines and the M16 cartridge the weapons would have 100 rds of ammo each maybe 200 if you went to a belt fed system (which adds weight due to the disintegrating belt)
    All that aside it's a cool looking model

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

At a guess I would say using drum type magazines and the M16 cartridge the weapons would have 100 rds of ammo each maybe 200 if you went to a belt fed system (which adds weight due to the disintegrating belt)

100 rounds of standard NATO 5.56 ammo weighs around 9 lbs...so 1000 rounds will be about 90 lbs. Now that doesn't include belts, etc.

Now, of course this is a little futuristic, at least in the design. Is there anything preventing the guns from firing something like steel rods/balls by way of mag-lev? That way you could probably increase the amount of ammo considerably.

• none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
    edited December 1969

Hmmm, how about a 30mm cannon. :)

• John SimsJohn Sims Posts: 360
    edited December 1969

I was thinking .50 cal but if you are going to have a BFG then have a BFG. :-)

Might help on the lack of storage capacity as you aren't going to need to send too many 30mm rounds down range to make a difference. ROFL,

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

100 rounds of standard NATO 5.56 ammo weighs around 9 lbs...so 1000 rounds will be about 90 lbs. Now that doesn't include belts, etc.

Now, of course this is a little futuristic, at least in the design. Is there anything preventing the guns from firing something like steel rods/balls by way of mag-lev? That way you could probably increase the amount of ammo considerably.
    Nah. I'm looking at about either 5.56 NATO or 7.62 Nato, possibly caseless because I don't think it'd be a good idea to be leaving brass scattered down the road. My book isn't that far in the future. It's cyberpunk, not space fantasy.

I was thinking .50 cal but if you are going to have a BFG then have a BFG. :-)

Might help on the lack of storage capacity as you aren't going to need to send too many 30mm rounds down range to make a difference. ROFL,That's what the rockets are for. :cheese:

edited February 2014

Nah. I'm looking at about either 5.56 NATO or 7.62 Nato, possibly caseless because I don't think it'd be a good idea to be leaving brass scattered down the road. My book isn't that far in the future. It's cyberpunk, not space fantasy.

Actually a Gauss Rifle/coilgun would be a perfect fit for a cyberpunk story...and really it isn't THAT futuristic...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coilgun

(See footnote #3)

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • edited December 1969

mjc 100 rounds of mil surplus 5.56x44 is 2.69pounds so 100 rounds in brass casings and a 63 grain powder would be 26.9pounds
    you could specify a paper type casing which is made and sold in boutiques and cannot be reused, it has been used in electrically fired miniguns in recent years to fire from inside helicopters and open vehicles

the 7.62x39 nato based round is about 4 pounds depending on case metals, aluminum is lightest then brass then steel

any modern round can be made using composites for weight and strength

and for the record paper cased ammo is EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE
    like 10to1 over conventional and military only for now

edited February 2014

mjc 100 rounds of mil surplus 5.56x44 is 2.69pounds so 100 rounds in brass casings and a 63 grain powder would be 26.9pounds
    you could specify a paper type casing which is made and sold in boutiques and cannot be reused, it has been used in electrically fired miniguns in recent years to fire from inside helicopters and open vehicles

the 7.62x39 nato based round is about 4 pounds depending on case metals, aluminum is lightest then brass then steel

any modern round can be made using composites for weight and strength

and for the record paper cased ammo is EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE
    like 10to1 over conventional and military only for now

Well, considering that the guy who rides this bike works for a world-class weapons manufacturer and supplier, that's not really a problem. As for ammo weights and such, I spent four years in the US Army, and was qualified with the M-16, M-60, M-203, and grenades, I know how much a standard box of ammo weighs. I've actually lifted and carried them.

I'm working on a new much larger box magazine right now. It sits above the front brake lines and should hold about 3000 rounds of belt-fed ammo for each gun. I just need to figure out a good mounting for it so it's not simply "floating" in mid air.

Post edited by Tramp Graphics on
  • John SimsJohn Sims Posts: 360
    edited December 1969

The strange Hog you linked too seemed to indicate the ammo was mounted on the rear of the bike and fed through under the seat. That seemed like a fair solution to some extent.

I appreciate that a projecting link front end is going to behave differently to conventional forks but, none the less, putting a lot of weight up high around the front wheels is still going to feel strange I guess.

It's a shame this isn't a separate thread really as it is somewhat derailing the main thrust of the original thread, although interesting to contemplate all the same.

edited December 1969

John Sims said:
    It's a shame this isn't a separate thread really as it is somewhat derailing the main thrust of the original thread, although interesting to contemplate all the same.

It's about design of vehicles...so, it's still within the broad parameters of this thread (and the previous two...). We've had more than 1 in depth design debate in the multitude of pages of this particular thread, and this one won't be the last.

edited December 1969

John Sims said:
    The strange Hog you linked too seemed to indicate the ammo was mounted on the rear of the bike and fed through under the seat. That seemed like a fair solution to some extent.

I appreciate that a projecting link front end is going to behave differently to conventional forks but, none the less, putting a lot of weight up high around the front wheels is still going to feel strange I guess.

The back end has enough weight too with the jet boosters and rockets. It's also where the fuel for the boosters is located.
  • GLWoodardGLWoodard Posts: 3,335
    edited December 1969

Its a little rough, but she's dependable!

a_little_rough,_but_dependable.jpg
    1900 x 1068 - 569K
    edited December 1969

Another great one, I imagine the mesh on this one was done by Dan Palatnik also.

he_looks_so_good.jpg
    1900 x 1068 - 568K
    edited December 1969

betsy662 said:
    Another great one, I imagine the mesh on this one was done by Dan Palatnik also.

Can you find one of Dan's that isn't great?

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    betsy662 said:

Nope, but I also have a very hard time finding any that are available for download!

edited December 1969

betsy662 said:
    mjc1016 said:
    betsy662 said:

Nope, but I also have a very hard time finding any that are available for download!

True...but he has made most, if not all the 'blueprints' available...but that's not quite the same, is it?

edited December 1969

Well, I did more work on the guns and ammo system. They're now done except for the electrical wires leading from the guns' firing mechanisms to the bike's steering column. I finally added the shocks too, so now the suspension system is complete. There is one thing I do need to figure out yet with the guns. I need to come up with some sort of brass collection system to keep the brass ejected from the guns from getting sucked into the jet intakes. That would be bad. The trick is figuring out a design that fits with the rest of the bike and won't interfere with the front suspension, as well as finding a place to mount some kind of collection bin or something.

WIP-50.jpg
    1373 x 814 - 241K
    WIP-49.jpg
    1373 x 814 - 309K
    WIP-48.jpg
    1373 x 814 - 283K
    WIP-47.jpg
    1373 x 814 - 247K
    WIP-46.jpg
    1373 x 814 - 238K
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    betsy662 said:
    mjc1016 said:
    betsy662 said:

True...but he has made most, if not all the 'blueprints' available...but that's not quite the same, is it?

Not quite, they would work well if I could actually make models, but I'm totally lost when using Blender, or any other 3d modeling program, I do use Blender, but that's mainly for smoothing my models from Sketchup!

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

I forgot to post this here

167_-_The_Renegade-1920-1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited December 1969

I finally got to work on the fairing and cowl. The cowl is pretty much done and the two side fairings are ready to be joined to being making the center part. Then comes the wind shield and lights.

WIP-55.jpg
    1373 x 814 - 206K
    WIP-54.jpg
    1373 x 814 - 245K
    WIP-53.jpg
    1373 x 814 - 249K
    WIP-52.jpg
    1373 x 814 - 276K
    WIP-51.jpg
    1373 x 814 - 279K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    I forgot to post this here

sure would not want to ride that - cool render

edited December 1969

Well, the front fairing is done; windshield is done; headlights are done; tail lights are done. I even managed to figure out a way to "collect" the brass from the miniguns. All that's really left is incidentals, like valve stems. I could use some more advice on something though. I haven't added tread to the tires yet, and this is supposed to be off-road capable. The question is, what would be the best way to give the tires tread, should I try to create a displacement map for the tread pattern or actually model the tread onto the tires?

Here's the latest WIP pics showing the completed fairing and the headlights and tail lights. I've also added a shot with a rider to show the scale of this monster bike. The rider stands 6'6".

WIP-60.jpg
    1373 x 814 - 261K
    WIP-59.jpg
    1373 x 814 - 212K
    WIP-58.jpg
    1373 x 814 - 212K
    WIP-57.jpg
    1373 x 814 - 222K
    WIP-56.jpg
    1373 x 814 - 216K
  • music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    If it was originally a game conversion...the 'second' skin could be a 'crashed' version...there's a '64 Chevy Impala SS that has that problem.

All of the GTA conversions have crashed parts. You must go to the heiarchy tree, open it up, and delete them before you save the car to .obj. They are all called DAM files (for damage).

:-)

edited February 2014

music had a tut for poser that was dedicated to simple rigs for vehicles and the basics will relate to cars or bikes
    but more to the point the wheels would need a rotational center point that is an all axis origin
    that would be the center of the hub itself
    the wheel would be parented to the axle assembly with the same centers
    and that would then be centered to the swing arms
    the swing arms center would have to be at its center of attachment and rotation
    which would b the hard mounting points
    you can use the constraints to limit or lock individual part rotation on a single vertex axis to keep a wheel from rotating out of normal
    as for the groupings and other stuff i know that philc has some free tuts out and there are millions of people out there that know alot more than i do
    but as for the design aspect
    i build bikes for family and friends so that is the area of my skills

If you have Poser, it has a section that will let you expose the origin with crosshairs, then move it with dials that appear when you activate it. Move them where you want, then you can hide them again and carry on. Once you get through rigging, then you save as a .pp2 (with movable parts), open the .pp2 in a text editor and you can hide any dials that you don't need (zero meaning not showing, one meaning showing), force limits (tires turning, doors opening, etc) resave as a .pp2 and you are good to go. That's how I do it.

rotate.jpg
    476 x 387 - 41K
    Post edited by music2u4u on
    edited February 2014

betsy662 said:

I like this one a lot. A real gasser.

brown_wrapper.jpg
    1900 x 1068 - 400K
    Post edited by music2u4u on
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    betsy662 said:
    mjc1016 said:
    betsy662 said:

His blueprints are not always right. I downloaded the 55 chevy bel air ones and they were off just enough to where I could not use them.

:long:

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    mjc1016 said:
    betsy662 said:
    mjc1016 said:
    betsy662 said:

His blueprints are not always right. I downloaded the 55 chevy bel air ones and they were off just enough to where I could not use them.

:long:

Just like in the real world, looking at a map, and looking a 3D re-creation there are going to be differences, for instance, Alaska is our largest state in area, but if you look at a flat 2D map, Texas is much larger than Alaska, in fact, so are most of the other states, however, put that in 3D, then you see the truth!

Its no different looking at blueprints vs. a 3D copy!

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    betsy662 said:

I like this one a lot. A real gasser.

lowriderfreak has several versions of the 46 Ford, this one, the custom and a mild custom, all are somewhat equal when doing the smooth work to them, as all the bodies are the same mesh.

edited December 1969

I did a little more work to the 60 Impala, its a real nice mesh, all I had to do was remove the custom parts to make it a completely factory stock model, very nice car to work with, only problem is the headliner is a connected material zone with the chrome!

new_for_1960_1.jpg
    1900 x 1134 - 562K
This discussion has been closed.