Center / end points stay put while model moves

Hello!

I need to change the origin and rotation of my model. 

Therefore I parent the model to a Null Object and do my changes.

Now everything is fine, but I need to export the model without the Null Object.

Is there a way to "bake" the new origin? 

Thank you.

Post edited by johann.hesters_2e9dd0ece9 on

Comments

• Please siwtch to Smooth Shaded view, or give the figure clothes, when posting screen shots.

Have you transalted the figure by the hip, then selected the figure itself and seen the offset origin that results? If so, don't translate using the hip - zero those translations and use the proprties on the figure node instead.

• I've given the screenshots black boxes now. 

I have offset the figure node, not the hip.

My question is only how to "bake" the pivot's translation / rotation. 

I need to export the model WITHOUT the Null Node, but with the translation / rotation applied that I gained using the Null Node.

Is that possible?

• I've given the screenshots black boxes now. 

I have offset the figure node, not the hip.

My question is only how to "bake" the pivot's translation / rotation. 

I need to export the model WITHOUT the Null Node, but with the translation / rotation applied that I gained using the Null Node.

Is that possible?

Black boxes don't work please see https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3279/acceptable-ways-of-handling-nudity#latest

So the hip is zeroed, the figure node is the one that is transalted, but it's off-centre? I'm not sure how that could happen, unless you used the Joint Editor to move the centre point (by accident or design). What are you wanting to export to, using what format?

• I've retargeted an animation in MotionBuilder to Genesis 2 Female.

However, the animation was not perfect, the forward direction was inverted, and it made the root of Genesis go astray.

Therefore I was looking for a way to fix the translation / rotation of the root of Genesis 2 Female in DAZ3D.

• edited January 2019

Here is a screenshot.

As one can see, the root faces the wrong direction, and the root is not centered.

I'm looking for a way to fix this.

I need to export the model as an FBX without a Null Node helper object.

shot1.png
    1042 x 624 - 187K
  • Are you sure the hip bone doesn't have any transforms set? I can't think of a way to get that otherwise.

• I've noticed that my animation / model has even more weirdness: The center / end points do not move along with the model during animation.

I think it's therefore better to open up a new question that describes more clearly what the problem is and what I need to fix.

I'm not sure yet if this question should remain open or should be deleted as the problem is not stated correctly yet.

• edited January 2019

Hello!

I have retargetted a very old MOCAP animation onto Genesis 2 Female in MotionBuilder. 

The animation had quite a few flaws, the X axis pointed backwards, and the pivot wasn't centered.

When I retargetted the animation onto Genesis 2 Female, these problems of course didn't go away.

Since I mainly work in DAZ3D, I was hoping I could fix these problems in DAZ3D. 

To solve the issues, I compared the faulty retargetted animation with a perfect animation from Mixamo in DAZ3D.

I have recorded a video here:

https://youtu.be/24e7UiMA7qM

The mixamo animation (shown on the left in the video) showed me how the center / end points should ideally behave: They should move along with the model and be centered. 

The center / end point of my retargetted animation however doesn't move with the model at all, and I wondered what might go wrong here and how to fix it.

I'm hoping that fixing the model's rotation issue can be easily be done in the Joint Editor, but I haven't gotten to that point yet where I could reliably tell if that worked since I first need to fix the problem that the center / end point doesn't move along with the model. Using Genesis 2 Female->Joint Editor->Snap->Auto Snap Endpoints did not change anything for me.

Can anybody tell me how to solve the not-moving-along problem of the center / end point? 

(Also: Is the "center / end point") the "root"? I guess calling "root bone" would be wrong, since it's not a bone, right?)

• Since it's continuing the same discussion I have merged the threads - you can edit the first post to change the title if you like.

Again, the model moving while the figure node stays put (which is what you describe) is exactly what would happen if the hip bone was being translated.

• Do you mean "rotated" instead of "translated"? If yes: Yes, the hip bone is rotated about Y -178,79 at the first frame (a screenshot is attached). During the second and third frame, the hip rotates towards Y -180 and stays -180 during the entire animatin.

If I rotate the hip to Y 0, the forward axis faces the correct way.

As I need to change the rotation of the hip for the entire animation, I proceed the following way:

Using keymate, I delete all keyframes for the hip Y translation. At the first frame, I set the hip's Y rotation to 0. 

Now when I play the animation, the center / end point is located at the center of the model, but it stays there and doesn't move along with the model during the animation, and the animation goes berzerk: The model slides over the floor. I have uploaded a video here:

https://youtu.be/G83UPh9ZN2I

yrotate.png
    1892 x 1032 - 211K
  • And have you checked the translation values?

• The hip translation values are (XYZ) 41.91, -1.57, 10.25.

During the animation, they change a bit, but not too much.

Does this information help in investigating the problem?

• I'm surprised they change only a bit, if the figure is covering a distance, but yes - those are the distance between the hip now and the hip at zero, when it is just over the figure node - so the model is going to be half a metre to the right of the figure node, and ten cm back from it, which matches your initial screenshot. If you want to keep the figure node with the model you need to zero those values (at least the x and z) and apply them to the figure node instead.

• edited January 2019

I put the translation values from the hip to the figure node, and then I set the hip translation X and Z to 0.

Yes, that puts the figure into a 0, 0 position. 

It's now located where a new Genesis 2 Female would be located in the scene when it had just been loaded.

Ok, that's good.

However, please note that I'm dealing with an animation. 

The hip translation does change within the animation. If I set the hip's translation X and Z to 0 for each frame, the animation goes berzerk as the hip is not moving while everything else does.

What am I supposed to do with the hip translation for the other frames?

• Could you post an example bezerk frame? Only the hip and the figure nodes should work for moving the modela round the scene so I'm at a bit of a loss.

• Here it is.

for richard.png
    1101 x 542 - 109K
  • So the hip is translated there.

• I have fixed the translation now, but it's still berzerk. A screenshot is attached.

rot1.png
    1097 x 786 - 170K
  • pdr0pdr0 Posts: 204
    edited January 2019

The model on the left has animation keys on the root node. The model on the right does not - so the root is not supposed to move - ie. it's working correctly.

If you want to do it the other way, you can cut/paste the hip translation keys into the root node in motionbuider , or since you have keymate , you can do it in DS also

(Don't delete the hip translation keys, they are part of the animation; basically you're splitting translation to be controlled by the root node , and hip rotation stays on the hip node, without any translations)

Post edited by pdr0 on
  • edited January 2019

Could you lend me a hand and show me how to do that if you have keyMate? 

I proceeded the following way: 

I selected the hip in keyMate, the I clicked the Copy icon, then selected the figure root and clicked Paste. I didn't see any effect. 

If you want to make an attempt, I have uploaded my model link removed.

keymate1.png
    1873 x 1026 - 190K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited January 2019

Could you lend me a hand and show me how to do that if you have keyMate? 

I proceeded the following way: 

I selected the hip in keyMate, the I clicked the Copy icon, then selected the figure root and clicked Paste. I didn't see any effect. 

If you want to make an attempt, I have uploaded my model link removed

I think you're not allowed to distribute DAZ based mesh/models , not even the free base models, as per the EULA

You would marquee select the keys . Hold down left click, drag a box around all the keys you want to select them all. In your screenshot it would be hip X,Y,Z translate keys. Push the copy button (or I think you can ctrl+x to actually cut them). Move to the root node transform, shift or ctrl+ left click  to select all 3 X,Y,Z translate rows in the left column so they are lit up. Make sure the play head is at the same location (frame zero) . Push the paste button (or I think ctrl+v works)  . If cut/paste doesn't work, and you had to copy/paste instead, go back and delete the translation keys in the hip node by marquee selecting pushing the "x" button in keymate interface

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • 'please note that you may not share figures derived from a Daz figure, or most other figures, as models.

• edited January 2019

I have tried it as you explained, but it didn't paste the keys, no matter what I tried.

I think when I paste the keyframes onto the root, the get pasted into the hip again.

Also, I was unable to click for example Genesis2Female -> transform -> X Translate or similar. The "closest" I could click / select was the root (=Genesis2Female).

I have recorded a video of my attempt here: https://youtu.be/cBoNZrmzmFw

Try it this way:

1) Select the keys from the hip translate as before,

2) edit (from the top menu) => copy => copy selected items

3) select the root translate , edit=> paste=> paste to selected items

If it also copies the rotate keys from the paste, you have to 1) delete the rotate keys from the root , and the translate keys from the hip

If it's offset animation , start with a zero pose on frame zero (edit => figure => zero => zero figure pose) and it will reset everything . Edit=>figure => zero pose

• edited January 2019

Thank you, but unfortunately that also doesn't copy / paste the keys.

Edit: I managed to do it, I still need to reproduce how exactely I did it. I will document it here for others as well.

• edited January 2019

I have been able to copy and paste the keys, here is a video of the workflow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyuyHy50iV0&feature=youtu.be

I think the root now looks as it should do, it moves with the mesh.

However, the rotation keys have also been pasted, as you foresaw, and the model faces the wrong direction.

I tried to apply your Figure Zero suggestion, but after the first frame, the model rotates back and faces the wrong direction again.

Here is a video:https://youtu.be/CTzL1BVpor0

Did I do anything wrong?

edited January 2019

You have to delete the rotation keys if those are copied too . See the post above

Drag a box around the rotation keys in the root node . Push the "x" button in the keymate interface (not the keyboard)

Drag a box around the translate keys in the hip node. Push the "x" button in the keymate interface (not the keyboard)

Put the playhead on frame zero. Set a zero figure key again

EDIT - I see that you've done that in the video

The zero figure pose key is not part of the animation . You use that to reset everything . You would start the animation on frame one, not zero .  If you needed to  (e.g. if this was a seamless loop, you set the in point at frame one .You would need to shift the keys +1 to the right and insert the zero pose by itself there. Typically , I leave the T-pose or A-pose in animations, because that's used for configuration, and retargetting in other applications

If your animation didn't need the zero figure key - you can actually omit that step completely

If you needed to shift the keys over, before inserting the zero figure key, make sure you have the keymate mode to TRS if you have shape/morphy animations (not just bone based) . Then twirl up the menu and select all the keys, move them over 1 to the right. Then insert the zero figure key on frame zero

Post edited by pdr0 on
  • edited January 2019

Thank you for the explanation.

I have done that, and the hip looks nice now, but the root still faces the wrong direction. As far as I know, the blue axis should point forwards, however in this case, it still faces backwards.

I have recorded a video here:

https://youtu.be/1uBhcAmhQSY

Here is part 2 that shows the difference between frame 0 and 1:

https://youtu.be/Ygf6mgw6bLY

Do you see any flaw in my proceeding? 

You should have fixed everything while you were in motionbuilder, much easier there

In that last video, frame zero, the character is facing +z in the zero pose, as per convention . So you would need to offset all the Y-rotation keys on the hip +180 degrees or -180 degrees (except for frame zero , which is correct because that's the zero pose) . Look at the value y-rotation on frame 1, and chose the direction that makes it closer to zero . That might be difficult to do in keymate, probably easier to do with graphmate . There might be a DS script somewhere that does this , not sure

(BTW it should be TRSV , "V" for value (not just translation,rotation,scale) , but I don't think you had any shape or value keys so it probably didn't affect you)

• edited January 2019

Thank you.

I have used a script to rotate the hip's Y value in the animation, starting at frame 1.

However, the figure then hovers over the floor. Using a different value (for example -180 or 90) still makes the feet hover of the floor.

I have recorded a video here: https://youtu.be/6qmWwk01TpI