E-On Software Main Site Back Up and News

Comments

• Is there a feature list somewhere? I just couldn't find it.
  • AllenArt said:

We still have Terragen, which has subscriptions but also still has perpetual versions.

Laurie

Perpetual versions makes a huge difference, I only upgrade if they have something worth upgrading for and I still own it after the subscription cuts out.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762
    Is there a feature list somewhere? I just couldn't find it.

I looked forever and never found anything that I'd call an actual feature list.  My concern at this point is that it's looking like Bentley Systems may one of those companies that buys software to mine the underlying IP and patents rather than someone with an actual interest in a specific market.  Almost everything else they've bought is more related to prototyping, engineering, land developemtnt and structural engineering, and letting the website for a popular product sit dead for nearly a year doesn't sound like a company that even understands what the products base consumer is.  FWIW, they do say on the web site that they've now got a 20 person team devoted to VUE, but is that just in software development, or does it include accounting, the janitor and the head honcho's nephew who needed a summer job?  This all has a very Smith MIcro buys Poser feel to it...  

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104
    edited December 2018

No, only a small table with an odd attempt at humor and few details.  It does state that the number of rendernodes and resolution are limited, and there are no exports, for the "Creator" version.

The old site had several pages in relatively small print comparing the various versions in extreme detail - just as you would want if you are deciding to fork over that kind of money.

I guess the VUE INfinite product is same/similar to the current "Professional".  What I bought I got during the spring 40% off sale, so subcribing to the "Professional" product would mean I would spend every year for subscription what I paid just once before ($75/month). 'Course that subscription includes updates, but the yearly maintenance/update fee for "Infinite" was $200-$300 per year before. 

If you factor in that the new subscription includes Plant Factory at the equivalent level, the price is not quite so bad compared to the "buy once and pay a yearly maintenance fee for both" previous model, but I already have Plant Factory, and the improvements with each new version seemed fairly minor.  For those who don't want or need Plant Factory, it is obviously an unecessary expense.

Post edited by Greymom on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,719

Over on Facebook I asked about old Cornucopia content, and Barry Marshall said that there's a help option and they'll send you a code to unlock your old content, so it's not gone if you upgrade.

Greymom said:

No, only a small table with an odd attempt at humor and few details.  It does state that the number of rendernodes and resolution are limited, and there are no exports, for the "Creator" version.

The old site had several pages in relatively small print comparing the various versions in extreme detail - just as you would want if you are deciding to fork over that kind of money.

I guess the VUE INfinite product is same/similar to the current "Professional".  What I bought I got during the spring 40% off sale, so subcribing to the "Professional" product would mean I would spend every year for subscription what I paid just once before ($75/month). 'Course that subscription includes updates, but the yearly maintenance/update fee for "Infinite" was $200-$300 per year before. 

If you factor in that the new subscription includes Plant Factory at the equivalent level, the price is not quite so bad compared to the "buy once and pay a yearly maintenance fee for both" previous model, but I already have Plant Factory, and the improvements with each new version seemed fairly minor.  For those who don't want or need Plant Factory, it is obviously an unecessary expense.

I have Infinite 2015, and if ('if') I upgrade I would choose Creator, which would put the license fee at slightly less than maintenance used to be. I'm not convinced about upgrading yet - no really spectacular changes, 2015 covers my needs, I resent the subscription model. Losing the ability to export: not something I actually used that much. Plant Factory would be a nice sweetener on the plus side.

On the other hand, there's an offer from Marvelous Designer in my inbox for a half price perpetual license, which would cost roughly the same as one year of new Vue.

Decisions, decisions.

Nath said:

Over on Facebook I asked about old Cornucopia content, and Barry Marshall said that there's a help option and they'll send you a code to unlock your old content, so it's not gone if you upgrade.

That's fantastic news - thanks!  I bought quite a few items on Cornucopia.  Hope it is a single code not one per item, but I will take it either way!

Greymom said:
    Nath said:

That's fantastic news - thanks!  I bought quite a few items on Cornucopia.  Hope it is a single code not one per item, but I will take it either way!

I read it as if it's one code for everything.

• HeavyRayHeavyRay Posts: 171

While I didn't track down the Barry Marshall reference, I read this in e-on's FAQ:

What happened to the Cornucopia3D site and when will it be back? When will I have access to my account at Cornucopia3D to buy VUE/PlantFactory assets or download my purchased items?

The Cornucopia3D community is currently unavailable. Now that the e-on e-commerce solution is live, we are investigating reviving the Cornucopia3D content marketplace on the same platform. We will inform you if and when this marketplace function can be brought back.

At this stage, and due to the Conucopia3D’s intricate complexity, it is hard to give an ETA – but rest assured we are looking into this with a high priority. We should have a better vision in Q1 of 2019. 

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142
    edited December 2018
    HeavyRay said:

While I didn't track down the Barry Marshall reference, I read this in e-on's FAQ:

What happened to the Cornucopia3D site and when will it be back? When will I have access to my account at Cornucopia3D to buy VUE/PlantFactory assets or download my purchased items?

The Cornucopia3D community is currently unavailable. Now that the e-on e-commerce solution is live, we are investigating reviving the Cornucopia3D content marketplace on the same platform. We will inform you if and when this marketplace function can be brought back.

At this stage, and due to the Conucopia3D’s intricate complexity, it is hard to give an ETA – but rest assured we are looking into this with a high priority. We should have a better vision in Q1 of 2019. 

Here, I'll translate:

"Don't hold your breath."

I read corporate speak fluently ;)

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
    edited December 2018

This item really caught my eye on E-On's FB page:

"Incremental payments are of course allowable, the annual subscription gets you 12 months for the price of 10.
    There is inherent flexibility built in, for instance you can subscribe to Creator and when necessary swap to Professional for a month for example and then change back! "

And from another E-On post, to confirm:

"You do know that the subscription is flexible? You can subscribe to Creator and when necessary swap to Professional for a month for example and then change back.
    Older software is still supported and can be downloaded from your account, we can even activate older versions all the way back to VUE 6"

Ok, now this makes the subscription plan much more palatable to me.  The "Creator " edition would (from the limited details) do almost all of what I want.  So if I needed to export, or do higher-res stuff, or needed more render nodes, it looks like I could switch to "Pro" for a month or two and use those features, then switch back.  I can control my costs, and still keep the software working.  I will have VUE 2015 Infinite to fall back on as needed.

• edited December 2018

@Greymom:  There are some contradictions between what you are saying & what EON's FAQ page states, unless I'm totally misunderstanding - See below.

In regards to older version of Vue - there FAQ says this, they can active but you can NOT re-download. Per FAQ:  The short answer is unfortunately no. VUE versions prior to VUE 11 used a proprietary technology that automatically personalized the installers to a specific account. Unfortunately, this technology is no longer available, and we do not anticipate reviving it in the future.

Please try to find the old installers you had either as a CD/DVD medium or from an old backup you might have and install from there. 

You might want to double check with their sales dept. There FAQ page appears to contradict what you said - per their FAQ:

For annual licenses, you can request a refund up to a maximum of 30 days after your payment was processed. Please note a 15% processing fee may be applied. Contact our sales team for more information.

For subscriptions, all past monthly installments are not refundable. You can cancel your Creator or Enterprise subscription at any time. Enterprise Solutions require a one year minimum commitment, after which you can cancel at any time.

The full terms and conditions can be found here.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 2018

@Greymom:  There are some contradictions between what you are saying & what EON's FAQ page states, unless I'm totally misunderstanding - See below.

In regards to older version of Vue - there FAQ says this, they can active but you can NOT re-download. Per FAQ:  The short answer is unfortunately no. VUE versions prior to VUE 11 used a proprietary technology that automatically personalized the installers to a specific account. Unfortunately, this technology is no longer available, and we do not anticipate reviving it in the future.

Please try to find the old installers you had either as a CD/DVD medium or from an old backup you might have and install from there. 

You might want to double check with their sales dept. There FAQ page appears to contradict what you said - per their FAQ:

For annual licenses, you can request a refund up to a maximum of 30 days after your payment was processed. Please note a 15% processing fee may be applied. Contact our sales team for more information.

For subscriptions, all past monthly installments are not refundable. You can cancel your Creator or Enterprise subscription at any time. Enterprise Solutions require a one year minimum commitment, after which you can cancel at any time.

The full terms and conditions can be found here.

Yes, there are some contradictions, but technical support has been providing links to re-download more recent versions and updates of VUE (on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/eonsoftware/), and their Tech Support reps made the flexibility statements just this morning.  They also reiterated that older versions would keep working for as long as the OS would run them.  "Older software is still supported and can be downloaded from your account, we can even activate older versions all the way back to VUE 6. ":)""

I just cut and pasted quotes from their Technical Support posts on FB this morning, that's all I know.  Also some people have reported in forums that they were able to re-download purchases (my account has not been moved to the new server yet, but I am promised it will be soon).

I won't be committing to anything until this all gets sorted out, I have been misled before, but I sure hope it is all correct.  My long term plan was to use Daz Studio and VUE together for outdoor scenes.  After making a considerable investment in VUE and Plant Factory already, I have felt like someone with one foot on the boat and one foot on the dock, and the boat is drifting away.  And my money is in a loose pile on the boat.  cheeky

I suggested that they should put all this on the sales page to clarify, and this is pretty darn important stuff!

• Indeed it is greymom!  They should have thought about all of this prior to putting up their web page.  I'm not sure who to trust at this point :(  They have been known in the past to say 1 thing & do another, only time will tell.  All a wait and see at this point.

• rigomrtsfxrigomrtsfx Posts: 94
    edited December 2018

NOTE and first one is the one when you first starting useing vue it has no water fxs or wind fxs stuff like that  i think its its vue 5 or 6 .....and the Creator Plan is the same version of complete version !!!!  there is no ex skies or models just what complete version shipped with

and it looks like the 3rd one is one or the other vue xstream or vue infinite they dropped one of them not sure what one is gone

well we are just going to pay to make artwork with them ..........we are down to the line of freedom for having software full versions on the pcs

we have today , we down right dont own anything anymore rent and sub .....over all we have a hub or shell and the day we want to use it what i have to pay again for another mo or year .......time to start plainting that money tree

many of us are just not rich we just have to deal with it ,  i am not talking about high end software but

the number one software now are daz and iclone you own that software on your pc they are not asking for $$$ every mo or year

not that is wjat we need to be looking at freedom to make art not wory about times up ,  in my heart daz will all ways be my number one

i started in bryce it has the 80s time less feel software still a great program  .....here is the good news

if you have vue and didnt upgrade it after 11 everything will still load and work if they still have it in there system if its dead its

just email them they unlocked it

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 2018

NOTE and first one is the one when you first starting useing vue it has no water fxs or wind fxs stuff like that  i think its its vue 5 or 6 .....and the Creator Plan is the same version of complete version !!!!  there is no ex skies or models just what complete version shipped with

Sorry, all that was hard to follow.  Are you saying taht the version of VUE Eon is now supplying is NOT the current version, but an older one? 

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • I can't trust Sub. models especially with EON - what happens if they go belly up...no software/money down the toilet.  let's say the same thing happens again as it did a year or so back, are we locked out of the software while they deal with things......NOPE.....no deal :(

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

Though I dont use the software, the only bennefit i can see is that those who need to use Plant Factory pay a little less then before and there is no more maintanence options, its all rolled into one.   So you can get the pro version for $750 instead of $995.  Plus they get Vue on top of that.   Thats $100 more than Speed Tree Cinema for one year.

E-On is not saying what the major differences are between the Creator and Pro versions.  You get the same info on each page.

Greymom said:
    Mattymanx said:

Though I dont use the software, the only bennefit i can see is that those who need to use Plant Factory pay a little less then before and there is no more maintanence options, its all rolled into one.   So you can get the pro version for $750 instead of $995.  Plus they get Vue on top of that.   Thats $100 more than Speed Tree Cinema for one year.

E-On is not saying what the major differences are between the Creator and Pro versions.  You get the same info on each page.

Creator cannot export, and is limited in resolution (4K) and the number of render nodes.  Pro can export, can use more render nodes and has unlimited resolution.  More detail definately needed.

• rigomrtsfxrigomrtsfx Posts: 94
    edited December 2018

could it be really ???

Creator is vue esprit 

Professional is complete

Enterprise is xstream or infinite not sure what version they are

all come with starter presets as when you first got your softwarefrom day one

and if Preset Content is Filled to the brim! ...........I cant find it most be hiding in one of the drop downs when changing presets and  things

nope not there ............if you think about it hollywood its geared more for holllywood big companys , 

Post edited by rigomrtsfx on
  • bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807

I've been playing with the new version of Vue, just to see what my $20/month will buy me, and whether I should cancel my subscription and walk away.

On the plus side, the interface is slightly less of a garish smorgasbord than previous versions, and it can make some very pretty pictures.

On the minus side, it's unstable as hell on my Macbook Pro. I've had random crashes in pretty much every major function of the program. After each one, the Crash Reporter pops up and asks me to explain what I was doing when it crashed -- and then about four times out of five, the Crash Reporter is unable to send my report to E-on because "an error occurred". I guess that's one way to keep down the number of bug reports.

I always hoped that one day E-on might fix Vue's stability problems, but realistically I don't think that's going to happen. So do I just walk away, or do I reason that although it's a flaky, overpriced piece of software marketed by folks with appalling business practices, the pictures it produces are pretty damn sweet, even in my inexpert hands?

DevilsTower08-01.jpg
    1920 x 1440 - 2M
    Cloud12-01.jpg
    1920 x 1440 - 2M
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,452

I've been playing with the new version of Vue, just to see what my $20/month will buy me, and whether I should cancel my subscription and walk away.

On the plus side, the interface is slightly less of a garish smorgasbord than previous versions, and it can make some very pretty pictures.

On the minus side, it's unstable as hell on my Macbook Pro. I've had random crashes in pretty much every major function of the program. After each one, the Crash Reporter pops up and asks me to explain what I was doing when it crashed -- and then about four times out of five, the Crash Reporter is unable to send my report to E-on because "an error occurred". I guess that's one way to keep down the number of bug reports.

I always hoped that one day E-on might fix Vue's stability problems, but realistically I don't think that's going to happen. So do I just walk away, or do I reason that although it's a flaky, overpriced piece of software marketed by folks with appalling business practices, the pictures it produces are pretty damn sweet, even in my inexpert hands?

the images look real nice. 

In the end, the most important thing is the quality of the images and whether you enjoy creating with the product.  There are a lot of products now that can do some of what VUE does, but very few that do it as well... at any price point.  

• RasberriRasberri Posts: 269
    edited December 2018

I found the feature list.. which really looks pretty "featureless"  Does this mean the creators version is like Vue Complete and Pro is comparable to the Infinite version? I am guessing yes?

Here is a snapshot:

Eon Compare.jpg
    1209 x 426 - 122K
    Post edited by Rasberri on
  • FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,039

E-On has lost my trust.  I don't want to invest any more time or money on products that may disappear again - forever, or a company that has absolutely no respect for their customers.  These people don't know how to run a business.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142
    AllenArt said:

We still have Terragen, which has subscriptions but also still has perpetual versions.

Laurie

Perpetual versions makes a huge difference, I only upgrade if they have something worth upgrading for and I still own it after the subscription cuts out.

Exactly. :)

Laurie

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,452

has anyone found a tech suppport function on that new site?

I found a link to a E-On reseller that still has the detailed comparisons of the four VUE 2015 products.  It is 48 pages.   Yes, 48 pages!    Compared to about a third of a page.  Just a tad* more serious and detailed than the one currently on the E-On site.  It also lists all the software features.  I don't get warm fuzzies from technical terms like "Yup", "Nope", and "all you can eat" in regards to the specs for a product that requires spending a serious amount of money.

https://www.softwarebox.de/out/media/e-onsoftware_VUE-2015-comparison.pdf

"Creative" is either VUE Studio or Complete, or something in between, need more info to really say.  Key points are the resolution limitations, ability to export, rendernodes and cpus used per rendernode, animation features, etc.

*Note:  a Tad (Td) is one of the less common SI units, equal to 1000 Millitads (Mt)

daveso said:

has anyone found a tech suppport function on that new site?

If you fill out the tech support form on the site, they will get back to you within a couple of days, sometimes immediately.  They have been very helpful to me.   They will also answer short questions on the E-On VUE facebook page.  Right now they are pretty swamped.

https://info.e-onsoftware.com/support   scroll down to form at bottom of page

Greymom said:

If you fill out the tech support form on the site, they will get back to you within a couple of days, sometimes immediately.  They have been very helpful to me.   They will also answer short questions on the E-On VUE facebook page.  Right now they are pretty swamped.

And they're probably swamped because they're having to answer a lot of simple, basic questions that should have been answered on their website... :/