Make a living as a creator on Daz3d?

123457»

Comments

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,436

The fact that freebies end up on Pirate sites is just mind boggling. If I were to create content, I couldn't check Pirate sites to see if my stuff had been uploaded, because most (if not all) pirate sites are blocked in the UK (as far as I'm aware).

The way I see it is that you need money to buy the best programs to get the best results, and you're at a disadvantage if you don't have it (I'm referring to the likes of Marvelous Designer, Substance Painter, zBrush etc). Maybe it's because I feel like I'm looking up at other creators who are producing great content, and I'm struggling with different aspects of modelling. 

Do you really need the best programs to produce the best content?

(I want to apologise if my post offends anyone. I don't really have any confidence in myself.

I really do admire all PA's for what they're able to do and the wonderful content that they put their time into and produce).

• IgnisSerpentusIgnisSerpentus Posts: 2,475
    N_R Arts said:

Do you really need the best programs to produce the best content?

A tool is only as good as any artist. Ive seen poorly done stuff in high end apps, and amazeballs stuff in low end apps.

That said... higher end programs make quicker/easier work of it. So while u may not *need* them, they still have merit in owning them.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,558
    Mattymanx said:
    Zylox said:

@ kyoto kid, in the formerly male content creation thread two UV mapping programs have been mentioned:

Roadkill UV Tool - http://www.pullin-shapes.co.uk/page6.htm

Ultimate Unwrap 3D - https://www.unwrap3d.com/u3d/index.aspx

The first is free and the second is $59. I have not tested either yet, so I have no idea how good they are. Apparantly the stand alone version of Roadkill is included in the Maya download version.

As a Silo user, I personaly think it is better to learn to UV map inside your modeler then to depend on another program to do it for you as it will only add time and steps JUST to do the mapping.  I realize the external UV mapping programs have their strengths, but it is best if you can reduce the number of programs needed to do your job without reducing the quality or quantity of what you make.

True, but I find mapping in max a bit lacking and cumbersome which is why I tried 3rd party apps in the first place. I do most of my mapping in Ultimate Unwrap 3D now. I find I use UU3D far more for other 3D tasks than just UVMapping now. from editing mesh, creating new material zones and file conversion, it is a powerful tool.

• IgnisSerpentusIgnisSerpentus Posts: 2,475
    Mattymanx said:
    Zylox said:

@ kyoto kid, in the formerly male content creation thread two UV mapping programs have been mentioned:

The first is free and the second is $59. I have not tested either yet, so I have no idea how good they are. Apparantly the stand alone version of Roadkill is included in the Maya download version.

As a Silo user, I personaly think it is better to learn to UV map inside your modeler then to depend on another program to do it for you as it will only add time and steps JUST to do the mapping.  I realize the external UV mapping programs have their strengths, but it is best if you can reduce the number of programs needed to do your job without reducing the quality or quantity of what you make.

True, but I find mapping in max a bit lacking and cumbersome which is why I tried 3rd party apps in the first place. I do most of my mapping in Ultimate Unwrap 3D now. I find I use UU3D far more for other 3D tasks than just UVMapping now. from editing mesh, creating new material zones and file conversion, it is a powerful tool.

I tell ya what, over tormenting yourself to learn some programs convoluted methodology of doing thisthatortheother.... only to merely save you from having one extra step of export into another app... you should just use what works for you. I have a very frankensteined workflow that involves several apps (silo, uvlayout and uvmapper, C4D, ZBrush, Photoshop and more recently, I tossed Modo and SP into the mix) I dont really believe having to leave the app creates a whole lot more time... esp if what ur leaving for saves you mass amounts of time than doing the same thing in the orig app does. And even if it doesnt save you time, but makes something better, or even easier for you... that is time well spent.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,924

I'd like to add that you can also commission your PA work via deviant art, that would be the route I were to go, as I'm admittedly not driven to be a full-fledged PA here.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,570
    edited July 2018
    Mattymanx said:
    Zylox said:

...OK, a big plus that it does more than just mapping.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited July 2018

Somebody said something about 100 copies?

I want that by Day 3.  Ideally I want it on Day 1.  If it takes until Day 2 it's okay, I guess, but I'm still disappointed.  A great product, one that's going to make my month on its own, it gets over 300 in those first 3 days.  There are exceptions; the Constrictor, Security! G2M, Knocked Out G3 and the original Singers of Chzor, none of these performed that well initially, but all caught up to others in catalog.  The thing is that I can't assume a product will do that.  What I really want is something like Rigged Water Iray, that hit those high numbers early on AND performed well in catalog numbers over time, but obviously I can't adequately predict what's going to do that or I'd be a millionaire. :D

That's bearing in mind that my products tend to be in a narrow size range, obviously.  If I could get $50 base price for everything I wouldn't need that many Day 1 copies.  I wouldn't be able to submit two to four products a month, though, either, because that has to be a BIG product or bundle.

Post edited by SickleYield on
  • ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528

The real beauty of being a 3D artist is your only requirement as far as location goes is having a broadband internet connection. You can live somewhere rural where the cost of living is very low as long as you have a decent internet connection so even though you might not make a lot of money from your art you can at least live comfortably on what you make. The only downside is well... as someone who grew up in a small rural town let's just say that "quaint charm" is usually a thin veneer and living there as opposed to visiting there is something completely different.  Of course on the upside, the lack of local activity means you have more time to work on your art.

For my American friends you have the added benefit too of having a large portion of the country where you won't freeze to death during lean times in the winter which can make living even more inexpensive.

edited July 2018

...true, though here in the US many rural areas here have poor Net access and slow DL/UL speeds and if the place is too small to host a good market & such it can be a 30 - 50 (or more) mile drive to do your shopping.

Also living where it is warmer has it's drawbacks as well, like needing air conditioning in summer so your computer doesn't overheat, which really runs up the power bill.  I lived in the south in the late 70s and with only 1 air conditioner running, our electric bill was around 75$ a month (which would be at least three times higher today).  Also many homes and apartments in warmer areas are not well insulated (or insulated at all) and don't usually have central heating, so if there is a cold snap you feel it more than someone living in a northern location as you are not acclimatised to it (and those baseboard or "in wall" heaters are also very inefficient as well).

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810
    kyoto kid said:

...true, but Hexagon's UV mapping is somewhat lacking, which is why others who use it turn to 3rd party mapping utilities.   Again hopefully this will be one of the features that will see an upgrade but until then need something that works and doesn't cost an arm and a leg as I am primarily looking to model for personal projects, not sell content so I have to keep the overhead down.

Ultimate Unwrap 3D is on the list, just would like to get some feedback on it.

I am not a good user of it for UV mapping, but I find it useful for many other things like repaint and the large number of import options 

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    kyoto kid said:

...true, though here in the US many rural areas here have poor Net access and slow DL/UL speeds and if the place is too small to host a good market & such it can be a 30 - 50 (or more) mile drive to do your shopping.

Also living where it is warmer has it's drawbacks as well, like needing air conditioning in summer so your computer doesn't overheat, which really runs up the power bill.  I lived in the south in the late 70s and with only 1 air conditioner running, our electric bill was around 75$ a month (which would be at least three times higher today).  Also many homes and apartments in warmer areas are not well insulated (or insulated at all) and don't usually have central heating, so if there is a cold snap you feel it more than someone living in a northern location as you are not acclimatised to it (and those baseboard or "in wall" heaters are also very inefficient as well).

Wow that was cheap. We live in Ohio and our electric bill is around $250 a month due to TV's and computers running 24/7 cause the kids don't know how to shut them off.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    kyoto kid said:

My electric bill is $35 - $45 in the summer (I can't figure out why it varies that much it shouldn't actually but I don't use air conditioner) and in winter it is $55 - $65 but that is because I have gas heat which runs consistantly $45 - $65 in winter. In summer it can be above 100 some years and consistently gets for some days in the 90s. I the winter it have been -25 and -15 for a couple of days 2 of the 3 past winters! That sort of cold here used to be a every 30 year event. The flyers I get from the electric/gas company claim I have better energy savings than anyone else in my neighborhood but really that's because I don't use it not because the house is efficient. I need to re-insulate the entire house for it to be really improved. I think I will use Owens-Corning.

edited July 2018

frank0314 said:
    kyoto kid said:

Wow that was cheap. We live in Ohio and our electric bill is around $250 a month due to TV's and computers running 24/7 cause the kids don't know how to shut them off.

...that was over forty years ago.  All we had were the lights, a stereo, and the air conditioner. The kitchen stove and oven were gas (which cost us something like 5$ a month), Hot water was centralised for the entire building. In the fall when temperatures fell enough to where we didn't need the AC, our electric bill was around 20$. It rose to over 40$ in the winter because of the cheap inefficient "in wall" heaters the place had.

edited July 2018
    kyoto kid said:

frank0314 said:
    kyoto kid said:

...that was over forty years ago.  All we had were the lights, a stereo, and the air conditioner. The kitchen stove and oven were gas (which cost us something like 5$ a month), Hot water was centralised for the entire building. In the fall when temperatures fell enough to where we didn't need the AC, our electric bill was around 20$. It rose to over 40$ in the winter because of the cheap inefficient "in wall" heaters the place had.

In the mid-90s my electric bill in Texas was $35 a month, also without my using air conditioning, so prices have went up by 16% - 30% so that's a pretty big increase really even if it has been 20 years.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

...yeah real life does have a habit of making what you like difficult to do sometimes.

So, back to the topic, What about texture creation for your models? What software do people use/like?

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

One advantage of living in Europe is that there's almost no such thing as slow internet or poor coverage. I live 6,000ft up a mountain in the Italian Alps, and I have incredibly good broadband. Of course, the main reason is that Europe is divided into countries and the providers all offer total national coverage. We don't have the vast open spaces with low population the US has.

On a sidenote, I always used to be baffled when watching horror films and the hero/ine couldn't get a signal on their phone, until I realised the US has a coverage issue. LOL.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810
    edited July 2018
    maclean said:

One advantage of living in Europe is that there's almost no such thing as slow internet or poor coverage. I live 6,000ft up a mountain in the Italian Alps, and I have incredibly good broadband. Of course, the main reason is that Europe is divided into countries and the providers all offer total national coverage. We don't have the vast open spaces with low population the US has.

On a sidenote, I always used to be baffled when watching horror films and the hero/ine couldn't get a signal on their phone, until I realised the US has a coverage issue. LOL.

yeah Australia the same, my car had a blowout and I had to walk up a hill just to get one signal  bar to call the RAA 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

I remember hiking on the mountain ridges near Bin Tal, Switzerland once thinking I was in the middle of nowhere after just crossing over to the Italian side of the border where I found a wild bunch of edelweis growing (for me that was exciting) when my workmate called me from Zurich and my cell phone picked it up so I had to spend the next hour telling him how to fix the broken computer. frown I since found out cell signals reach high elevations quite easily. It's when when one is in a valley that coverage is spotty and often gets ignored, like I have to go upstairs when visiting my mom's old house to get cell coverage but on the ground floor and outside there is no coverage. Some people put up aerials with mini-repeaters to get coverage in situations like that. I think there is a aerial/mini-repeater combo kit even for vehicles like RVs and such.

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,436

A tool is only as good as any artist. Ive seen poorly done stuff in high end apps, and amazeballs stuff in low end apps.

That said... higher end programs make quicker/easier work of it. So while u may not *need* them, they still have merit in owning them.

Okay. Well, that's promising. I think I may give MD a try after all.

Thank you for replying :)

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380

Really it all depends on what you are looking to do with those programs. You wanna match the two together for the best outcome. I would suggest, before making a high price program to watch as many tutorials on them as you can before buying to see if the workflow will match with what you envision. YouTube is a wonderful tool these days.

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,413
    th3Digit said:

glad I live in 'Straya yes

well for us anything bought here costs a lot more but if your a seller guessing the mony is pretty good once converted from US to Australian $

kyoto kid said:

My electric bill is $35 - $45 in the summer (I can't figure out why it varies that much it shouldn't actually but I don't use air conditioner) and in winter it is $55 - $65 but that is because I have gas heat which runs consistantly $45 - $65 in winter. In summer it can be above 100 some years and consistently gets for some days in the 90s. I the winter it have been -25 and -15 for a couple of days 2 of the 3 past winters! That sort of cold here used to be a every 30 year event. The flyers I get from the electric/gas company claim I have better energy savings than anyone else in my neighborhood but really that's because I don't use it not because the house is efficient. I need to re-insulate the entire house for it to be really improved. I think I will use Owens-Corning.

damn that is cheap here in Australia pay for electric every three months can average around well over $700 then there phone, rent, water (those that pay rates own homes those rent water bill is part of), internet and other things

kyoto kid said:

damn that is cheap here in Australia pay for electric every three months can average around well over $700 then there phone, rent, water (those that pay rates own homes those rent water bill is part of), internet and other things

My water bill is about $37 a month but I have a drippy faucette that if I fixed would probably save money. I'll fix it at any rate.

As far as the size of your bill such high bills are common in America too if one uses a lot of air conditioner and a lot of heat. One fellow with a old style farm house was complaining about his $600 monthly heating bills last winter. I had never heard of anyone so poor paying such a high bill before he said that. 2 years ago when there was a very cold February and we even had -25 Fahrenheit days I had a bill that was over $225 but that was when I was trying out all electric heat. Electric rates are a scam mostly for consumers so I switched to gas and that tops out at $75 during rare very cold months such as that -25 February month.

edited July 2018
    ...the advantage with gas is it is usually a central forced air system that heats the volume of air more efficiently. Electric heating often involves individual room units which only radiate heat in a small area. Often time the units are placed directly under a window (the usual case in cheaply built poorly insulated apartment buildings from the 70s and 80s). When I had an aoartment that had gas heat and stove. My winter bills were around 12$ - 16$ a month (this was in an old 1920s art deco brick building). Where I am now (a recently built weatherised and insulated building) I am paying about 5 times that in winter as both heating and cooking are electric (I use LED light bulbs so lighting costs are a tiny part of the bill).
    kyoto kid said:

My water bill is about $37 a month but I have a drippy faucette that if I fixed would probably save money. I'll fix it at any rate.

As far as the size of your bill such high bills are common in America too if one uses a lot of air conditioner and a lot of heat. One fellow with a old style farm house was complaining about his $600 monthly heating bills last winter. I had never heard of anyone so poor paying such a high bill before he said that. 2 years ago when there was a very cold February and we even had -25 Fahrenheit days I had a bill that was over $225 but that was when I was trying out all electric heat. Electric rates are a scam mostly for consumers so I switched to gas and that tops out at $75 during rare very cold months such as that -25 February month.

our heating is a wood fire actually

ok on a sort of side topic but sort of the same thing how about the ones that sell renders are there many of you that do well selling renders as book covers, posters/prints, cards, mugs and so on? My mother was given a birthday card bought from store was created in Daz knew most of the products used as have most of them 

• OK, the fuel discussion was getting a bit heated so some posts have been tossed into the furnace - please drop the subject now.

if I got into making stuff and was able to sell stuff here I'd be hoping to make enough so I could buy a lot more stuff here than I do now I'm a little bit addicted of course I'd have to have an even bigger more powerful computer with tons of room I'd be in a buying frenzy spending on here

• Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 833

@ ANGELREAPER1972:  There is a very long thread in the Art Studio forum on book covers but it has grown so long I can't say whether selling them is discussed much.

The OP of that thread passed away, sadly.  RIP.