AWE Shading Kit for DAZ Studio and 3delight

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,148

Lighting is simple, from the HDR and "Sun" that loads with the Sample Scene! 

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Just apply awe to the fibermesh hair, pretty sure now that is the culprit.

I'll have to test that theory when I get a minute... Thanks Sven

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    RAMWolff said:

Lighting is simple, from the HDR and "Sun" that loads with the Sample Scene! 

Then you definitely need aweSurface on your hair and clothing - otherwise they won't actually even be lit =)

OK... I'll give it another go.  Still trying to sort my networking issue with Sonic.NET to actually upload this to my testers but perhaps this will correct all this rendering issues I have and I won't have to bother Wowie as I'm sure he's busy enough!  

Thanks so much 

Well I converted EVERY surface over to AWE and still getting a blank canvas.  Loaded up a new instance of the Starter Scene for AWE too, making sure to leave all those settings at their default!  This, as you can see, is at 2 minutes, usually a simple scene like this is about done rendering in 2 minutes!  Nada, blank!  

ScreenHunter 49.png
    800 x 520 - 323K
    edited January 2019
    RAMWolff said:

Well I converted EVERY surface over to AWE and still getting a blank canvas.  Loaded up a new instance of the Starter Scene for AWE too, making sure to leave all those settings at their default!  This, as you can see, is at 2 minutes, usually a simple scene like this is about done rendering in 2 minutes!  Nada, blank!  

Did you try progressive mode with raytracer?

Wil it render if you hide all hair and body hair?

Did you try Kettus suggestion?

If it won't render even with all hair hidden, try this:

Select your figure, go to surfaces and select all surfaces, copy them, apply the DS default shader to all those surfaces, apply the awe base shader to all surfaces, select all surfaces, paste!

Edit: As you know, DS sometimes works in mysterious ways, as weird as it sounds, here's nother thing to try: Select the spotrender tool, set it to render in a new window, spotrender the whole scenesmiley

Post edited by Sven Dullah on

I think I tried progressive mode with Raytracer a while back, can't remember.   

Not tried rendering with the scruff and eyebrows hidden, not sure why that would matter with the shaders for them converted to AWE

I have no idea who Kettus is, I know most folks by their forum handles not their real names so you'll have to tell me who that is!  LOL 

OK, loaded up the Default AWE Scene, added in Gensis 8 Male, loaded up my morphs to him and the skin shaders I made (which now I'm seeing needs more tweaking so perhaps you can help me with that... bit shiny and I really want things like ear tips to have more of a translucency to them ... they look very solid)  

As you can see the fibermesh scruff and eyebrows are on and have the AWE shaders I tweaked to death applied... no issues with this render. 

I THINK it MIGHT have been the hair prop but I did convert that over to AWE too so not sure what else to think about all that!  

GinoAWE.png
    976 x 837 - 778K
    RAMWolff said:

I think I tried progressive mode with Raytracer a while back, can't remember.   

Not tried rendering with the scruff and eyebrows hidden, not sure why that would matter with the shaders for them converted to AWE

I have no idea who Kettus is, I know most folks by their forum handles not their real names so you'll have to tell me who that is!  LOL 

Heh sorry that would be Mustakettu85, she said this a few posts back:

..a quick way to see if any of your items may be stuck in a too-deep ray bounce somewhere: in the render options, drag max ray depth down to 1, try rendering, see if anything changes. If the scene renders fast (but it will likely look kinda ugly), then it may be worth it dragging the slider back and going over the surfaces one by one limiting max ray depths (they're in the "Lighting" subsection) to find out which one gets stuck. Wowie set the bounce depths generously high by default, which is all fine and dandy due to how optimised aweSurface is... unless there is a geometry issue somewhere. If there is, I'd say it's most likely to be in that fiber hair. Automatic meshing can sometimes create messy normals and the like.

RAMWolff said:

OK, loaded up the Default AWE Scene, added in Gensis 8 Male, loaded up my morphs to him and the skin shaders I made (which now I'm seeing needs more tweaking so perhaps you can help me with that... bit shiny and I really want things like ear tips to have more of a translucency to them ... they look very solid)  

As you can see the fibermesh scruff and eyebrows are on and have the AWE shaders I tweaked to death applied... no issues with this render. 

I THINK it MIGHT have been the hair prop but I did convert that over to AWE too so not sure what else to think about all that!  

Glad you got it to work!

Well a few thougs...the eybrows and facial hair might need a tad more translucency, even 100% could work, to soften them up a bit. I think the skin needs stronger SSS. You could start by upping the SSS phase carefully, maybe scale too. Maybe a bit more specular2 roughness to soften the highlights? Looks cool!

Will upping the SSS on the skin also bring in the translucency I want around the edges of the ears?  

Got the lashes and the eye moisture shaders done now... Worked on the skin a bit more but yea, can't seem to get that translucency look to the ears.  I have translucency turned on up to 90% with and without maps to attempt to get some feedback but still looking quite solid! 

GinoAWE2.png
    976 x 837 - 771K
    edited January 2019
    RAMWolff said:

Will upping the SSS on the skin also bring in the translucency I want around the edges of the ears?  

Got the lashes and the eye moisture shaders done now... Worked on the skin a bit more but yea, can't seem to get that translucency look to the ears.  I have translucency turned on up to 90% with and without maps to attempt to get some feedback but still looking quite solid! 

Umm, yes it will;) Translucency only works for 2-dimensional mesh like planes and leaves and transmapped hair (one polygon thick). So SSS is what you want to change. As I said, try the phase first! Yeah I can see some progress:)

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    RAMWolff said:

Couldn't really be sure until I take a look at your scene to actually see the lights and materials.

If you're looking for translucency, you might want to have less environment light and use more direct light. Translucency particularly with subsurface is more noticeable with strong, focused light. If your HDRI doesn't have enough range or too diffused/uniform, you won't get strong translucency.

Excuse the SSS noise on the images.

test1.jpg
    338 x 600 - 104K
    test2.jpg
    338 x 600 - 102K

Ah, OK, so I'll give the SSS a go.  Any settings you can pass on to me to hit first?  

I've gone back a couple of pages and don't see any mention of "Phase" Sven.  Keep in mind I don't have a technical mind for allot of this stuff so I need some plain english sort of explaining!  :-)  My brain aged a year last night!  I'm 58 years old as of today and I'm a little less cognitive than I was yesterday.... that's my story and I'm sticking to it!  LOL 

cheeky

RAMWolff said:

Ah, OK, so I'll give the SSS a go.  Any settings you can pass on to me to hit first?  

I've gone back a couple of pages and don't see any mention of "Phase" Sven.  Keep in mind I don't have a technical mind for allot of this stuff so I need some plain english sort of explaining!  :-)  My brain aged a year last night!  I'm 58 years old as of today and I'm a little less cognitive than I was yesterday.... that's my story and I'm sticking to it!  LOL 

cheeky

laugh I'm not that far behind so you're in good company.

I'd love to help but it's a bit like shooting in the dark without knowing your skin settings. Maybe post a screenshot of the subsurface settings for the face/head? Subsurface strength is the first parameter, it is at 100 by default, I use 80-100, depending on light situation and diffuse strength. Next is scale, default 0.19, you can leave it there if the character has "normal" body volume. Same with SS refraction. Next you'll find SS phase, default is 0.81. This is the one I would start with, assuming you have strength at atleast 80%. Increase it carefully a few steps, spotrender the ears and repeat till you see the effect. It's logarithmic, so things will start to happen pretty fast;) If you don't get the result you want, increase scale a bit and see what happens. If still nothing, you need to look at lighting, I think.

Generally, I tend to lower scatter strength to around 1.1, set phase to around 0.75-0.85, increase absorbtion strength a tad with the skins I'm using. Diffuse strength around 65%, SS strength as I said 80-100. Every skin is different, so...just need to experiment and testrender;) Pop into the art forums and have a look at my latest attempt in the awe test track thread to see where I'm at!

Here are my current settings for SSS .... 

ScreenHunter 50.png
    364 x 818 - 37K
    RAMWolff said:

Here are my current settings for SSS .... 

OK,tks! Yeah start with phase, it's at 0 in your screenshot. Set it to 0.75 and testrender, should make a difference. You also might want to increase scatter strength to around 1 and absorbtion strength to 0.7 or more. Let me know if this works for you!

You are NOT going to believe this... when I loaded up the new Test Scene it doesn't automatically switch the render engine so I was posting those renders, which did render nicely and quickly but they were rendering using the iRAY render engine!  LMAO  I'm SUCH a dork!  Old age I tell ya!  I did switch over to the Scripted 3DL engine and it renders fine but still no translucency on the ears and I did mess with the SSS settings.  I'm just up and moving around and need coffee so I'll post a render when I've had a cup!  

Oh and while I'm fiddling here, I am noticing that the light source is quite low.  It tried setting up the Ambient in the Surface tab for the Environment Sphere up to about 250% but nothing is lighting this guy up to a normal level.  I selected the "Sun" but it's not even a light I can control, so don't know what it's purpose is in the scene.  There is nothing for under the Surfaces either so it's not a mesh light so not sure why it's even in the scene if there are no controls for it!  Strange!  

RAMWolff said:

You are NOT going to believe this... when I loaded up the new Test Scene it doesn't automatically switch the render engine so I was posting those renders, which did render nicely and quickly but they were rendering using the iRAY render engine!  LMAO  I'm SUCH a dork!  Old age I tell ya!  I did switch over to the Scripted 3DL engine and it renders fine but still no translucency on the ears and I did mess with the SSS settings.  I'm just up and moving around and need coffee so I'll post a render when I've had a cup!  

LOL you're saying aweSurface renders fine in Iray? Haven't tried that yet=)

RAMWolff said:

Oh and while I'm fiddling here, I am noticing that the light source is quite low.  It tried setting up the Ambient in the Surface tab for the Environment Sphere up to about 250% but nothing is lighting this guy up to a normal level.  I selected the "Sun" but it's not even a light I can control, so don't know what it's purpose is in the scene.  There is nothing for under the Surfaces either so it's not a mesh light so not sure why it's even in the scene if there are no controls for it!  Strange!  

Are you using the awe quickstart scene lights? There's no "sun" in there AFAIK, only the awe environment and a meshlight, so not sure what you mean? If you use the awe environment that loads with the starter scene, select it, not the environmental sphere but the awe environment light node (which the sphere is parented to), go to parameters/light and increase exposure if you want more overall light in your scene. You can also select the environment sphere, go to surface tab and increase exposure there, not ambient strength, leave that at 100%. Note that increasing exposure for the sphere will affect the background and make it brighter, possibly burned out. Increasing exposure for the aweEnvironment will not affect the background. And the meshligh (emitter plane)t is parented to a null (pivot). Find it in the scene tab if you want to increase emitter light intensity. Go to the surface pane and increase intensity scale. Let me know how you're doingsmiley

wowie said:
    RAMWolff said:

Couldn't really be sure until I take a look at your scene to actually see the lights and materials.

If you're looking for translucency, you might want to have less environment light and use more direct light. Translucency particularly with subsurface is more noticeable with strong, focused light. If your HDRI doesn't have enough range or too diffused/uniform, you won't get strong translucency.

Excuse the SSS noise on the images.

tried using one of your AWE Distance lights and one AWE Spot, moved it  behind the head and turned off limits on Intensity but still getting no translucency behind the head to cause the ears to look more natural with that sort of strong light behind the head.  

RAMWolff said:

RAMWolff said:

Are you using the awe quickstart scene lights? There's no "sun" in there AFAIK, only the awe environment and a meshlight, so not sure what you mean? If you use the awe environment that loads with the starter scene, select it, not the environmental sphere but the awe environment light node (which the sphere is parented to), go to parameters/light and increase exposure if you want more overall light in your scene. You can also select the environment sphere, go to surface tab and increase exposure there, not ambient strength, leave that at 100%. Note that increasing exposure for the sphere will affect the background and make it brighter, possibly burned out. Increasing exposure for the aweEnvironment will not affect the background. And the meshligh (emitter plane)t is parented to a null (pivot). Find it in the scene tab if you want to increase emitter light intensity. Go to the surface pane and increase intensity scale. Let me know how you're doingsmiley

LOL.. weirdly the scene renders just fine using the iRAY rendering engine and very quickly too!  Go figure!  

Yup, ran into a bunch of issues ... The Starter Scene gives me the Environ Sphere, the ground plane, that silly tester robot looking thingie and that Sun that's not doing anything that I can see.  I had NO controls for making the Sphere NOT render but then found another Sphere under the Light Presets\wowie: AWE Environment.duf and that one had the extra controls so not sure why that one isn't included as the default as part of the Starter Scene.... Weird.  BUT after allot of fiddling I finally just deleted out the Sphere and all that stuff that loads with it and just used the Headlamp and pushed that up to 7.60% and I got something that looks more like what I expect from lighting.  Weird again!  SO not sure what the heck I'm doing wrong as I go back and I look at all the samples and it's all rendering out fine for the other users but not for me.. no sir!  Can't make a promo image or test out settings if my setup keeps getting borked!  blush

edited January 2019
    RAMWolff said:
    RAMWolff said:

RAMWolff said:

LOL.. weirdly the scene renders just fine using the iRAY rendering engine and very quickly too!  Go figure!  

Yup, ran into a bunch of issues ... The Starter Scene gives me the Environ Sphere, the ground plane, that silly tester robot looking thingie and that Sun that's not doing anything that I can see.  I had NO controls for making the Sphere NOT render but then found another Sphere under the Light Presets\wowie: AWE Environment.duf and that one had the extra controls so not sure why that one isn't included as the default as part of the Starter Scene.... Weird.  BUT after allot of fiddling I finally just deleted out the Sphere and all that stuff that loads with it and just used the Headlamp and pushed that up to 7.60% and I got something that looks more like what I expect from lighting.  Weird again!  SO not sure what the heck I'm doing wrong as I go back and I look at all the samples and it's all rendering out fine for the other users but not for me.. no sir!  Can't make a promo image or test out settings if my setup keeps getting borked!  blush

This is what I get when I load the awe starter scene. The robot is G2F which isn't installed on the laptop I'm on right now:) Do we have the same content?

awe quickstart scene.png
    1186 x 650 - 274K

Worst case scenario if you are in a hurry to get your promos done: Simply load your character, a camera and the environment sphere. Load an HDRI, that you have used before and know how it behaves, into the diffuse color slot, rotate the sphere to your liking, hit render. If too dark, increase exposure in the surface pane until you have enough light.

RAMWolff said:
    RAMWolff said:

RAMWolff said:

This is what I get when I load the awe starter scene. The robot is G2F which isn't installed on the laptop I'm on right now:) Do we have the same content?

No sir, this is what I get from the AWE Example scene I found under the Shader Presets folder:

AWE Example Scene.png
    1501 x 873 - 249K

I remember that scene your loading up but with Wowies stuff spread out here and there I don't remember what folder to find that in.  I get so confused.  I think there are differences in the Freebie and the Pro pack sold here.  So there seems to be non-coinciding differences with each pack. That's how I'm seeing things anyways.  

edited January 2019
    RAMWolff said:

I remember that scene your loading up but with Wowies stuff spread out here and there I don't remember what folder to find that in.  I get so confused.  I think there are differences in the Freebie and the Pro pack sold here.  So there seems to be non-coinciding differences with each pack. That's how I'm seeing things anyways.  

Aaah I see=) Well you have the env sphere and can find the mesh lights in light presets/wowie, so should be able to create a test scene then. Or just use HDRI lighting with the env, sphere as I suggested;) Or create your own meshlights, create primitive plane with 1 division, apply the awe environmental shader and you're almost good to go:)

Stupid of me, should have remembered you didn't have the commercial packblush

But I do have the commercial pack!  LOL  

I reinstalled all of the goodies from wowies freebie pack and the addons from Mustakettu85 and while the results are ALLOT better the render time is just slow as mud so something else is amiss.... 

Slow As Mud Render in AWE3DL.png
    1450 x 950 - 1M

Ok, I'm still on the old build, need to finish a number of projects before upgrading;) Hope you get it sorted! Someone who actually knows what they are talkin about will eventually drop bylaugh

You've been more than helpful but now I'm really stuck it seems... the AWE 3DL render seems to have stalled.  18 minutes later and it's still looks EXACTLY what you see in the post above.  Should have been done rendering after a few minutes.  So not sure what happened.  *sigh*