off topic thread

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,938
    3drendero said:
    Load up some of the samples from here and check the syntax. Maybe it is a simple thing like ; at every row or extra space bars here and there. http://gianp.free.fr/carrara/indexcarrara.html

I have all those but not the brain to interface with it

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086
    edited January 2019

Not sure that I can break the code.  cheeky

however, one issue that I see right away is that z is defined as a set if you check the web reference, not a single integer; therefore, Carrara won’t correctly interpret the formula if typed in the box just as z=r^n.  May take a look later, but no promises. There is playoff football (American) to watch.

http://www.skytopia.com/project/fractal/2mandelbulb.html#formula

edit - for one thing,  the trig functions should all be defined for a range related to pi, and there are a couple of suspects (phi, p, and P) in your more recent post.

Post edited by Diomede on

however, one issue that I see right away is that z is defined as a set if you check the web reference, not a single integer; therefore, Carrara won’t correctly interpret the formula if typed in the box just as z=r^n.  May take a look later, but no promises. There is playoff football (American) to watch.

edit - for one thing,  the trig functions should all be defined for a range related to pi, and there are a couple of suspects (phi, p, and P) in your more recent post.

well I know I can't, maths is largely like gibberish to me cheeky

this looks impressive 

its not a software, the uploader coded it himself 

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Many years ago now, I saw Thunderbirds FAB, the stage play. Just two actors, with props & special effects, managed to convey all the main characters from Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlett, as well as classic set pieces like the TB2 launch sequence. It was awesome!

edited January 2019

this looks interesting

and beyond my abilities

they make some cool 2D animations that look 3D

https://www.shadertoy.com/

all web based using code

I am looking at the Carrara backdrop formula and thinking............well trying to

I looked in the Carrara manual at all the possible bits of formula the operators, variables etc, as I said I lack a mathematical brain but can copy paste as well as the next dumbass just need to use things found in Carrara's recognised list of stuffs

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

I am trying to find your Backdrop formula post, the one where you did the one in your avatar

edited January 2019

Wendy, the background in my current avatar is not from the formula modeler.  I made it by choosing a color gradient and then using a simple grayscale gradient as the driver.  The sleeping Star! character image had the formula background.

RE: the formula modeler - here is an old thread in which I tried to share what little I know about using the formula modeler.  Credit to @FifthElement and @Territan for great posts.    Unfortunately, it looks like some of my screencaps did not survive.  The good news is that the discussion of Carrara's trig function range did survive. For Carrara, -Pi to Pi (or 0 to 2Pi) has to be converted to 0-1.  
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/114716/formula-example

Here is another formula thread -     http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/30859/formula/p1

Here is the web address for "that great French formula site."  The shader formula for the background of the sleeping Star! image came from here.
    http://gianp.free.fr/carrara/indexcarrara.html

edited January 2019

@SteveK - The first time I saw Sky Captain I was disappointed, especially with Gwenneth as Polly Perkins.  However, I saw it again several years later and liked it much better.  I wonder if I had difficulty accepting the stylized background and sets the first time I saw it, but had become more accustomed during the intervening years?  

@TangoAlpha - Thunderbirds, FAB the stage play sounds wonderful.  Wish I had been there.

For those unfamiliar, the premise of the puppet scifi show Captain Scarlett vs the Mysterons was that Captain Scarlett had become indestructible by a freak accident.  So, if his superpower is merely that he cannot be killed, each week the writers had to come up with new ways to kill him (or not kill him in this case).  Captain Scarlett getting run over by a truck.  Captain Scarlett falling out of a plane at high altitude.  Captain Scarlett getting bitten by a shark.  It was the kind of thing that fascinates 8-year-old boys - which i was. 

Wendy, the background in my current avatar is not from the formula modeler.  I made it by choosing a color gradient and then using a simple grayscale gradient as the driver.  The sleeping Star! character image had the formula background.

RE: the formula modeler - here is an old thread in which I tried to share what little I know about using the formula modeler.  Credit to @FifthElement and @Territan for great posts.    Unfortunately, it looks like some of my screencaps did not survive.  The good news is that the discussion of Carrara's trig function range did survive. For Carrara, -Pi to Pi (or 0 to 2Pi) has to be converted to 0-1.  
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/114716/formula-example

Here is the web address for "that great French formula site."  The shader formula for the background of the sleeping Star! image came from here.
    http://gianp.free.fr/carrara/indexcarrara.html

thread bookmarked, I too have all those French examples and a html of the site but yeah having and comprehending are different things cheeky

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

@SteveK - The first time I saw Sky Captain I was disappointed, especially with Gwenneth as Polly Perkins.  However, I saw it again several years later and liked it much better.  I wonder if I had difficulty accepting the stylized background and sets the first time I saw it, but had become more accustomed during the intervening years?  

@TangoAlpha - Thunderbirds, FAB the stage play sounds wonderful.  Wish I had been there.

For those unfamiliar, the premise of the puppet scifi show Captain Scarlett vs the Mysterons was that Captain Scarlett had become indestructible by a freak accident.  So, if his superpower is merely that he cannot be killed, each week the writers had to come up with new ways to kill him (or not kill him in this case).  Captain Scarlett getting run over by a truck.  Captain Scarlett falling out of a plane at high altitude.  Captain Scarlett getting bitten by a shark.  It was the kind of thing that fascinates 8-year-old boys - which i was. 

The Mysterons were always portrayed by two circles of white light playing over the set. Quite scary to an 8 year old (and easy to do on stage!). The stage version opened with the classic Captain Scarlet knocked over bottle and screeching cat in an alleyway scene (which you can see here  )

I found this short piece of news footage that gives a feel for how the stage show worked: 

Thanks for the news clip.  I wish very much I had had a chance to see the play.  

Their effort to walk like puppets, even blink like puppets, was truly joyous.  heart

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,835

So, if his superpower is merely that he cannot be killed, each week the writers had to come up with new ways to kill him (or not kill him in this case).  Captain Scarlett getting run over by a truck.  Captain Scarlett falling out of a plane at high altitude.  Captain Scarlett getting bitten by a shark.  It was the kind of thing that fascinates 8-year-old boys - which i was. 

reminds me of Super Dave Osborne laugh

Captain Jack Harkness heart

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,194

I think for me, it was just a refreshing approach, unlike almost all of the other scifi movies.  Plus I was a big fan of similar genres, e.g. steampunk, and was trying to do some similar animations in Carrara.  In fact, some of my efforts were very similar, if way less polished.  Prop plane fighters, dirigibles, huge robots, ... as Mr. Ebert said, it reminded me of "Tom Corbett, Space Cadet", but done with great production values.  I even did a short animation "Space Cadet Luther" which had to be influenced by similar stories from long ago.  BTW, you might enjoy the original Sky Captain short (6 minutes):

DAZ iray sorry

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

DAZ iray sorry

biological exuberance?

dunno what that means but sounds interesting

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493

Broccolini with a touch of frost ????

DAZ iray sorry

edited January 2019

Maybe some snowflakes this weekend.

maybe some snow sprinkles.JPG
    454 x 603 - 91K

looks like good rendering weather if no lightning 

edited January 2019

looks like good rendering weather if no lightning 

Yup, and maybe some ot hot chocolate.

I spy Dartanbeck runniing around in here like a kid in the candy store devil

testing hair collission, a fur suit may help collision, I only furred her face and neck

the jitter well that is another day's issue

Only Intermittant Internet Again

but this time not due to traveling.

I won’t be responding as frequently as I have in the past, but all is well.  It is just that Washington DC is a little crazy right now.  My building is responding to so many of our residents’ jobs being shut down in a number of ways (mostly positive in being lenient on stuff and waiving late fees).  However, one side effect is that I have to go to group areas for internet until I make personal arrangements for my unit, or until normalcy is restored.

i need a prop of a wad of cash.  want to show greed in a politically bent cartoon, fist full of dollars

PIZZA PARTY!!!  MEATA BALL

is it warm somewhere in the worlds?  20F here windchill of 5F IGLOOOOO

edited January 2019

cholesterol is 8 no pizza for me, I need to stick to stuff with Omega 3 fatty acids and antioxidents 

mmm wine and crackers with salmon and avocado?

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    Mystarra said:

you can have some of our 40C

Mystarra said:

you can have some of our 40C

okay  thanx  warms huddle heart

edited January 2019
    Mystarra said:

i need a prop of a wad of cash.  want to show greed in a politically bent cartoon, fist full of dollars

Here you go.  See attached.  The textures are for illustrative purposes only.  The prop is just a flattened and subdivided cube.  Load any image to be the bill face and resize the prop to match.  There is a morph to fold the bill.  There is a file with a few bills folded together in a wad.  EDIT: Let me know if there are any problems.

zip
    zip
    CashWad Freebie.zip
    cash example.jpg
    640 x 480 - 32K
This discussion has been closed.