VWD in Carrara - installation and updates

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
edited February 2021 in Carrara Discussion

UPDATED THREAD

- discovered later in thread that I have an outdated version

Recently, I've experienced trouble trying to run VWD with Carrara.  So, to try to figure out the problem, I made a simple vertex cube and a simple vertex grid.  I tried to drape the grid on the cube.  VWD would not show me the scene viewer view.  When VWD got to the 19th of the 120 frames, it grayed out and the frame ceased to advance in the dialog.  However, the task manager indicates that VWD is still doing calculaitons.

Aaargh.  Have not been able to use it recently.

Could plugin extensions have gotten corrupted with recent updates or additions?

vwd trouble 01.JPG
1691 x 1028 - 210K
Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

If it helps diagnose, here is some additional info.  Eventually, I gave up and stopped VWD.  In the Carrara scene, the original grid had had its visibility turned off as expected.  A new grid called grid_VWD had been created as expected.  The new grid_VWD contained 121 corresponding to the length of the simulation in frames.  However, all the morphs were empty even though VWD had advanced to 19 when it grayed out.

vwd morh list.JPG
    1645 x 980 - 175K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

Hya well that's a pita

I recently started getting an error - see pic, but VWD still works regardless.

Maybe try restoring default parameters in the utilities scetion - etc

lets us know what happens

vwderror1.jpg
    808 x 573 - 183K

I installed the files again.  I can make a grid drape over a cube.  Hooray.  But do I have the most recent version?  The version I copied over was dated July 2016.  My version number is

Still more trouble.  Aaaargh.

Tried with a figure and again the VWD is not calculating

vwd not calculating anything.JPG
    1479 x 892 - 180K

hi new version is VWDClothAndHair V1.1.622.4416

did you buy it straight from gerald or through the other place?

quote from the maker about that release 

You will see there are a lot of new features.

If you want some help, feel free to ask me.

Have a great day.

Gérald

um maybe try without the hairs?? maybe vwd doesnt know how to read the hair primitifs?

head wax said:

hi new version is VWDClothAndHair V1.1.622.4416

did you buy it straight from gerald or through the other place?

quote from the maker about that release 

You will see there are a lot of new features.

If you want some help, feel free to ask me.

Have a great day.

Gérald

bought from 'rosity.  So one thing is not having the most recent release.  Will contact Gerald.  Thanks.

head wax said:

um maybe try without the hairs?? maybe vwd doesnt know how to read the hair primitifs?

Could be the hairs.  Could be something about Genesis 8.  I just did a test with my Brash figure and VWD worked.  Will try some more testing after I get the updated version.

brash vwd worked.JPG
    1550 x 978 - 168K
  • GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104

I see I don't have the latest version also - could someone post the link to purchase/update directly?

Many thanks!

-hye diomede and greymom

Gerald sent me mine directly as I purcjhased it initially through him. 

if you want an email address please let me know

alternatively there is a separate forum where announcments are made at the other place

Thanks, but as a first attempt I will try to contact through the email address in the "About" section in the VWD program.  A working version of VWD is essential for my custom figures silliness, whether comic, claymation, or other.

I think you were correct about the hair being the most important part of the more general problem I was experiencing.  I think another problem was scene specific in that I had tried "nailing" vertices but had specified more than one collision object.

Will keep everyone informed of resolution, but I think a core issue is not having the up to date version.

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104
    head wax said:

-hye diomede and greymom

Gerald sent me mine directly as I purcjhased it initially through him. 

if you want an email address please let me know

alternatively there is a separate forum where announcments are made at the other place

Thanks!   I see that in the forum on the "other" site, the author is considering setting up a Patreon system for further updates and enhancements, although not there yet.

I sent an email to the contact information listed in the "About" tab of my VWD program.  I got a very quick and satisfactory response from Gerald.  Much appreciation!  Unfortunately, I am busy with RL for the next few days so won't be able to provide useful feedback or tell everyone more until early next week.  I do recommend that everyone check their version number and check in at the dedicated VWD forum at that other site.  Even Headwax's reported version may not be the most current.  Little confused about that.

I admit to not keeping up with that other forum, the one specific for VWD.  For example, I don't know if with these updates to the core plugin, do I also need an update to Philemo's bridge?  Anyway, more Carrara-related info on this topic next week when I've had a chance to follow up.

Thank you again, Gerald, for excellent support.  yesyes

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    Diomede said:

I installed the files again.  I can make a grid drape over a cube.  Hooray.  But do I have the most recent version?  The version I copied over was dated July 2016.  My version number is

The latest I have in my rendo library is V1.1.522.3630_206702 (2017-05-23)

They sometimes update things without notification. To get it, just go to your rendo 'account' and look for 'VWD' in your items, and download whatever is showing there. the filename and the update date are my only indications of version.

Per other comments re: the rendo forums on VWD, Gerald is working on the package as much as he can, and trying to establish a good new conduit to anyone interested in keeping up with the improvements.

My question: Does this current rendo version work with he 'latest' (lol) version of Carrara? I can't check right now.

(I plan to 'subscribe' when the new VWD channel is established, but would like to be sure that my latest version is viable).

cheers,

--ms

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,796
    edited September 2018

not looking good quick test I tried

I won't touch Paetron with a 10ft pole so sadly may need to go back to Poser and dyn2morph export if it breaks

to confirm, it works but not well

getting fall thoughs or not animated, I can do that with Carrara bullet softbody

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

VWDClothAndHair V1.1.622.4416 works fine for me - )

Hi I just saw this looks good.

• Gerald's use of his own product is phenomenal.  If the eyes weren't staring, this (to me) is almost as real as it gets. 

edited September 2018

Gerald's use of his own product is phenomenal.  If the eyes weren't staring, this (to me) is almost as real as it gets. 

wowzer. I believe the promo was for hair motion, but my gaze kept getting drawn from the hair.

--ms

ETA: it looks like updates are forthcoming to current owners (end of Sept?), although I recommend any additional support you can lend if you like the progress/direction.

Post edited by mindsong on
    edited September 2018
    th3Digit said:

I won't touch Paetron with a 10ft pole so sadly may need to go back to Poser and dyn2morph export if it breaks

getting fall thoughs or not animated, I can do that with Carrara bullet softbody

thanks for checking. I may dig up my own 'prove it works' tests to see what I did... There might have been a bridge update (may have been the DS bridge) somewhere in there as well. Is yours the latest available?

(why don't you like patreon? never used it, no opinion yet)

--ms

• mindsong said:
    th3Digit said:

thanks for checking. I may dig up my own 'prove it works' tests to see what I did... There might have been a bridge update (may have been the DS bridge) somewhere in there as well. Is yours the latest available?

--ms

not used it but the whole concept of sponsoring people annoys me

I am happy to donate to people and often do on ShareCG etc if use something a lot

I prefer to outright pay for something if I want it

edited September 2018
    th3Digit said:
    mindsong said:
    th3Digit said:

--ms

not used it but the whole concept of sponsoring people annoys me

I am happy to donate to people and often do on ShareCG etc if use something a lot

I prefer to outright pay for something if I want it

Ok - that makes sense - I was a bit worried that there was an underlying issue (privacy/politics/required credit-card, etc.) that made it a bad idea or something.

Generally, I'm also a 'pay-go' person, contributing *where* I see value, *as* I see it, so subscriptions of most any kind go against that philosophy...

I think VWD, in the direction it's going, has enough potential value to me to warrant subscribing, as the results are amazing for the price and energy being put into it, and it works in Poser, DS, and Carrara, so I want to keep the motivation up. Nothing that is 'too good a deal' ever lasts.

I like Octane and the Luxrender tools for the same reason (multi-platform options).

cheers,

--ms

(edit: phrasing)

mindsong said:
    Diomede said:

They sometimes update things without notification. To get it, just go to your rendo 'account' and look for 'VWD' in your items, and download whatever is showing there. the filename and the update date are my only indications of version.

Per other comments re: the rendo forums on VWD, Gerald is working on the package as much as he can, and trying to establish a good new conduit to anyone interested in keeping up with the improvements.

My question: Does this current rendo version work with he 'latest' (lol) version of Carrara? I can't check right now.

(I plan to 'subscribe' when the new VWD channel is established, but would like to be sure that my latest version is viable).

cheers,

--ms

This 1.1.522.3630 is what I get if I download again from 'rosity.  

Diomede said:
    mindsong said:
    Diomede said:

cheers,

--ms

This 1.1.522.3630 is what I get if I download again from 'rosity.  

I believe that's a match - thanks for the update/confirmation.

The rendo forum notes indicate that the VWD author Gerald is working on the docs and clean-up for a rendo update (probably includes the stuff we're seeing mentioned above) later this month.

That'd be great, and truly a gift if it contains all of his recent work, gratis. wow. (i'm looking for a way donate or something to keep him supported/appreciated...)

cheers,

--ms

• Okay, I have a couple of really stupid questions I need to ask. Apologies for the pedestrian nature of my inquiries.

I do not own Poser. I was initially under the impression that owning Poser was not necessary to use the plug-in with Carrara. Is this the case, or is Poser required?

1. Since I do not own Poser, where exactly am I supposed to install the VWD Cloth and Hair files?

2. Next I need to know exactly where to put the files for the Carrara Bridge to VWD Hair and Cloth

3. Also I keep getting an error that vwd.mcx will not load properly. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

edited October 2018

hya Rashad, ha ha not stupid questions,

glad to see you using vwd, it certainly has changed my image malking dramatically

quest 1:

I put them in my main directory so C:\VWD\ 

I think this helps alleviate  things

quest 3) not sure about your error but putting things in correct places may fix

also

quest 2

this is the help file that comes with thebridge

Carrara bridge to VWD install instructions
    System Requirement
    This plugin, as VWD, runs on Windows (from Windows XP to Windows 10).
    Python Installation
    This product requires Python 2.7 to be installed on your computer.
    Python 2.7 may be downloaded from this address:
    https://www.python.org/download/releases/2.7/
    Please download Windows x86 MSI Installer or Windows X8664
    MSI Installer depending on the
    version of OS you’re using (Windows 32bits or Windows 64bits) and follow installation
    instructions.
    Plugin Installation
    Please copy the five files in the installation archive in the extensions directory of your Carrara
    install (typical target is C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\Carrara8\Extensions).
    Quick Start
    The command menu used to launch the bridge is at the bottom of the file Menu. Keyboard
    shortcut is [shift][ctrl]V
    There are 3 parameters :
    ● Path to VWD : path to the directory where VWD cloth and hair is located.
    ● weld identical vertices : As its name suggests, it will (for clothes and Hair) weld all
    vertices located exactly at the same place. It prevents many problems in the simulation
    (cloth spreading across seams). It invokes Carrara own welding algorithm . It's not very
    fast and it may fail (or take too long) for high density meshes (more than 100.000
    vertices). So, untick it if you're using such meshes or if you plan tu use the simulation
    result as a morph source for the original cloth.
    ● Use discrete tweener. VWD is working at 30 FPS. If you're also using 30 FPS, you can
    tick that option and you'll have the exact animation generated by VWD. If you're using
    another FPS, untick it and you'll go back at the default tweener you've set (or linear if
    you didn't set any). The morphs between 2 VWD frames will be interpolated.

Post edited by Headwax on

oh best to wayback this thread for the usualy reasons

• somehow I was using python 2.714 or something. Hopefully I havent broken any of my other programs by revertng back to 2.7. Thanks for your help

pleasure , hope it helps

- love your new name by the way :)

edited February 2021

I just tried installing on my laptop.  I do not have Poser on my laptop.  So, I created a directory called D:\VWD and installed there.  I installed Philemo's bridge (5 files) to my Carrara extensions folder.

First, I got a 'won't load' message when I started Carrara.  I'm pretty sure that was a Python error.  I installed Python and rebooted.

Now, when I start Carrara there is no error.

I tried a test scene with two simple vertex objects.  When I selected an object and clicked 'Go VWD' it asked me to find the VWD program.  I did.

Then nothing.

sad

Post edited by Diomede on