VWD in Carrara - installation and updates

2»

Comments

  • Hi Diomede,

    Could you have a look into your Daz tmp directory. There should be a CarraraVWDDebug.txt file which may help.

    There also could be a Python_error and/or Python_outpout file which may give more information.

     

    Diomede said:

    I just tried installing on my laptop.  I do not have Poser on my laptop.  So, I created a directory called D:\VWD and installed there.  I installed Philemo's bridge (5 files) to my Carrara extensions folder.

    First, I got a 'won't load' message when I started Carrara.  I'm pretty sure that was a Python error.  I installed Python and rebooted.

    Now, when I start Carrara there is no error.

    I tried a test scene with two simple vertex objects.  When I selected an object and clicked 'Go VWD' it asked me to find the VWD program.  I did.

    Then nothing.

    sad

  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,099
    edited February 2021

    Greetings, Philemo_Carrara!

    Thanks for following up.  Great to see you posting, even if it is because I am messing up something simple.

    I am attaching the CarraraVWD debug file.  Where should I be looking for the Python error file, if any?  No error message appeared on the screen, but that doesn't mean much.

    zip
    zip
    CarraraVWDDebugZIP.zip
    224B
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,275

    Diomede said:

    Greetings, Philemo_Carrara!

    Thanks for following up.  Great to see you posting, even if it is because I am messing up something simple.

    I am attaching the CarraraVWD debug file.  Where should I be looking for the Python error file, if any?  No error message appeared on the screen, but that doesn't mean much.

    It would have been in your Daz Temp folder if there was one, I think.

    One thing that wasn't working for me, is that the Daz Temp folder MUST be the default location for VWD to work in Carrara.

    I had mine on a different drive and it didn't work. As soon as I put it back to default, Bam!!!

  • dunno, mine are all over the place on both computers laugh and it works or not according to temperament on both

     

  • Coucou Philemot !

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,275

    Yes, it's great to see you, Sir!!!

  • second that, hope all is well with you Philemo heart

  • Hi Diomede,

     

    I forgot to tell you that the debug file was reset each time you start Carrara. What you should do is reproduce the error you stated, stop Carrara and pickup the debug file. 

    Diomede said:

    Greetings, Philemo_Carrara!

    Thanks for following up.  Great to see you posting, even if it is because I am messing up something simple.

    I am attaching the CarraraVWD debug file.  Where should I be looking for the Python error file, if any?  No error message appeared on the screen, but that doesn't mean much.

  • @Diomede @FENgari  @Dartanbeck @WendyLuvsCatz

    Thank you for your welcome message.

    My life has changed a lot for the pas year and I haven't been having any time for Carrara.

    Things are changing again and I'm starting to have more time. You will start to hear from me again :-)

     

  • Philemo_Carrara said:

    @Diomede @FENgari  @Dartanbeck @WendyLuvsCatz

    Thank you for your welcome message.

    My life has changed a lot for the pas year and I haven't been having any time for Carrara.

    Things are changing again and I'm starting to have more time. You will start to hear from me again :-)

    Great to hear Philemo.  Your words made my day.yes

  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,143

    Philemo_Carrara said:

    You will start to hear from me again :-)

     

    Good news - I hope you are well. 

  • RuudLRuudL Posts: 191

    Great to see you posting again. 

  • mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

    I believe I had to return my Carrara tmp dir back to its default for VWD to work as well.

    Philemo, pleased to see you are well. We were worried for your well being, and happy you are fine and able to rejoin us!

    cheers!

    --ms

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,275

    Yes! Welcome Home!!! :)

  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,099

    Thank you for all the replies.  

    OK, Philemo, I will see if I can recreate the error and then post any updated error log reports.  

  • Q: Anyone upgraded to v2 - I still have v1 - will do some experiments on cloth, still love Carrara's native softbody capabilities and hair dynamics...

  • I still use V1

    it is flakey on my Win10 but works well on my Win7

    I can grab the .car files off Win7 for 10 though

    LOL Former Selina/Fengari I had to check your threads to find who you were

    I still have had more usernames I think devil

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,275

    I upgraded. I love it!

    V2 has new "Assistant" features that I almost cannot live without. I didn't get very far with V1, but I can't stop using V2!

    Here's the Support article for the video

  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,099

    My VWD just started working again!

    My VWD stopped working when my computer crashed and I moved my files from a backup to a new computer.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling.  I tried downloading the files again from rendorosity.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Poser, then uninstalling and reinstalling VWD.  Nothing seemed to work so I gave up.  That was months ago.

    Then today, for no apparent reason, I loaded a default genesis 1, gray shaders and all, and tried VWD on a skirt.  And it worked!

    Woohoo.  

     

    vwd working.jpg
    1494 x 1011 - 246K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,099

    Now I have to Remember How to Use VWD!!!!

    Error

    It worked on the skirt and genesis above, but I got an error saying the obj does not exist when I tried to use it with a shirt and my Brash figure. Will have to find some of the tips and tricks.  Hard to remember some of the details.  I remember that one potential problem was long file names.  Not sure what the problem is for the shirt here, because it is obvious the model exists.

    vwd prob.jpg
    1045 x 681 - 117K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,099
    edited March 2023

    One step Forward!  But one step back.

    Forward - VWD found the obj

    - Shortening the file names, in this case of the parent object (Brash), worked.

    Backward

    VWD changed a shader of the shirt, which is strange.  The cuffs are gold and the sleeves and torso are red.  The VWD process changed the sleeves from red to gold, but not the torso.

    .

    Before and after applying VWD to Brash's shirt.  

    .

    ff01 shirt before.jpg
    997 x 870 - 127K
    ff02 shirt after.jpg
    904 x 818 - 108K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,957

    too many polys usually gives me that

    VWD dislikes highpoly mesh that Optitex and Dforce loves

  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,099

    WendyLuvsCatz said:

    too many polys usually gives me that

    VWD dislikes highpoly mesh that Optitex and Dforce loves

    Thanks for the tip.  For my Brash and Moxie projects, I have control over the density of the mesh, so I should be able to correct such.

  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,026

    Diomede said:

    My VWD just started working again!

    My VWD stopped working when my computer crashed and I moved my files from a backup to a new computer.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling.  I tried downloading the files again from rendorosity.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Poser, then uninstalling and reinstalling VWD.  Nothing seemed to work so I gave up.  That was months ago.

    Then today, for no apparent reason, I loaded a default genesis 1, gray shaders and all, and tried VWD on a skirt.  And it worked!

    Woohoo.  

    Good news !!!

  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,957
    edited February 27

    well it seems to have died on my Win7 now too

    it works but gets stuck at 52 frames so maybe I can do shorter animations?

    cannot send back to Carrara if not done to test

    may need to investigate that

    pity as D|S Dforce just explodes on the same outfits so obj series imports is not even an option

    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,957

    I may have solved this

    VWD creates an "exchange" text file in the same folder you save your scene, for it's settings etc

    because I was saving my scenes on a USB drive that I was transfering stuff from over my WiFi all the time to my Win10

    (100's of gigabytes of stuff for 2 days at a time!)

    I think the bus speed or something was affected and Carrara wasn't seeing the drive

Sign In or Register to comment.