chohole can I ask a question?

2»

Comments

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,063
    scorpio said:

Personally I don't see why you can't but to be on the safe side only Daz can answer, no one in the forums can; and Daz staff don't read the forums.

That is just one example though... Rendo has creators that put templates in their packages.. ShareCG... etc... not just Daz... I was always taught.. If there is no copywrite or name.. then you can do what you want.  Specially if they look exactly the same as UVMapper cause that's what the creator used to make the templates in the first place!!! 

scorpio said:

Personally I don't see why you can't but to be on the safe side only Daz can answer, no one in the forums can; and Daz staff don't read the forums.

I get'cha... I hope Agent gets and answer soon... Til then... we will just wait.  I have too much going on right now anyway... We were thinking the challenges would make a great winter activity.  We shall see... and wait...

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2019

For heavens sake.    I have a copy of the  MFD Template on my site, No body has told me to take it down.   it's been there for some years.  You only need to Run an OBJ through somnething like UV-Viewer, which is free and you have generated your own template.   Templates are not considered derivative products.  They are not a product, they are made to give extra usage to a product, which is why Daz has always made them freely available.  Please believe me,   templates have been shared in many places  Snow Sultan has umpteen templates on his site.   Daz  know he has them there for everyone,   do you see Daz telling him he can't distribute them.  Templates have been shared on the forums  with no reactions. Templates used to be on the store page on the old old old site for people to download.  Templates are free for everyone to use. 

It is not neccessary to make things sound so difficult.  It is not neccessary to try and bog the poor Daz CS team down with stupid requests. Take my word for it.   And I can't make it clearer than that.   Forget my bad phrasing earlier in the thread  which could be misinterpreted.

I am saying now loud and clear.  Templates are free, can be drawn up by customers themselves, can be downloaded from where ever they are available, and they can be made available by anyone on or in whatever medium they choose to use.

Edited to fix typos

Post edited by Chohole on
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:

I gave you a link in the other thread to SnowSultan's site where he shares a whole lot of Seam guide UV maps,  which are the easiest to work with for novice texturers.

http://www.snowsultan.com/seam-guides/

Templates or UV maps are for everyone.   No problem sharing the UV maps.   What cannot be shared is the actual product.    So everyone wanting to make a new texture for an MFD version needs to own that version of the MFD.   Same goes for any other product.

Before Genesis came along and changed things I used to run off my own templates from the Clothing geometry OBJs  if there wasn't a template offered. Most newer products do have,  or should have a template / UV map available to download in the Product Library. If you can't find one there you could file a help request.

THANK YOU Chohole!!!  I could kiss you... lol.  I thought templates were ok to use and give away or else .. WHY would creators give the product templates?  After all.. what good is the template if you don't have the product?  duhh... I can't see anyone wanting to make textures for something they don't own.  BTW... the templates on SnowSultan's site are awesome!  Thanks for sharing the link.. I had lost it.

Actually there is one texture on my site that I didn't have the clothing model  nor the character it was for.  Neil (my son, webmaster and DS shader expert half of the team wanted a christmas outfit for the Trog to go a carolling in.  A couple or 3  journeys through the cyber space between the UK and Ireland   and he got his fancy outfit.    LOL.   Easn't the easiest thing I have done though

Darn... I can't see the photo :(

The image is almost at the bottom of Page 9 of my site.

Chohole said:
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:

I gave you a link in the other thread to SnowSultan's site where he shares a whole lot of Seam guide UV maps,  which are the easiest to work with for novice texturers.

Templates or UV maps are for everyone.   No problem sharing the UV maps.   What cannot be shared is the actual product.    So everyone wanting to make a new texture for an MFD version needs to own that version of the MFD.   Same goes for any other product.

Before Genesis came along and changed things I used to run off my own templates from the Clothing geometry OBJs  if there wasn't a template offered. Most newer products do have,  or should have a template / UV map available to download in the Product Library. If you can't find one there you could file a help request.

THANK YOU Chohole!!!  I could kiss you... lol.  I thought templates were ok to use and give away or else .. WHY would creators give the product templates?  After all.. what good is the template if you don't have the product?  duhh... I can't see anyone wanting to make textures for something they don't own.  BTW... the templates on SnowSultan's site are awesome!  Thanks for sharing the link.. I had lost it.

Actually there is one texture on my site that I didn't have the clothing model  nor the character it was for.  Neil (my son, webmaster and DS shader expert half of the team wanted a christmas outfit for the Trog to go a carolling in.  A couple or 3  journeys through the cyber space between the UK and Ireland   and he got his fancy outfit.    LOL.   Easn't the easiest thing I have done though

Thanks.. I see it now :)  Too cute... Just wish I had Trog now.. lol

edited June 2019
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:

Yeah,   he was rather cute.    I don't think Neil has his site up and running still,  So you could see the finished image,    I will check see if I have a copy of it.

Ah yes,   found it   He titled the image "My Mum made it"

my mum made it.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 428K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    Chohole said:

For heavens sake.    I have a copy of the  MFD Template on my site, No body has told me to take it down.   it's been there for some years.  You only need to Run an OBJ through somnething like UV-Viewer, which is free and you have generated your own template.   Templates are not considered derirative products.  They are not a product, they are made to give extra usage to a product, which is why Daz has always made them freely available.  Please believe me,   templates have been shared in many places  Snow Sultan has umpteen templates on his site.   Daz  know he has them there for everyone,   do you see Daz telling him he can't distribute them.  Templates have been shared on the forums  with no reactions. Templates used to be on the store page on the old old old site for people to download.  Templates are free for everyone to use. 

It is not neccessary to make things sound so difficult.  It is not neccessary to try and bog the poor Daz CS team down with stupid requests. Take my word for it.   And I can't make it clearer than that.   Forget my bad phrasing earlier in the thread  which could be misinterpreted.

I am saying now loud and clear.  Templates are free, can be drawn up by customers themselves, can be downloaded from where ever they are available, and they can be made available by anyone on or in whatever medium they choose to use.

Edited to fix typos

Thank you.... I thought I so ;)

• Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 433
    edited June 2019

ok gang... I just looked at a bunch of outfits I have with texture maps included... NONE of them have a copywrite on them... or a name... If I made a UV map, for an outfit, with UVMapper... HOW is anyone gonna know I just didn't distribute the original one.? The UVMapper one looks exactly the same...

ok gang... I just looked at a bunch of outfits I have with texture maps included... NONE of them have a copywrite on them... or a name... If I made a UV map, for an outfit, with UVMapper... HOW is anyone gonna know I just didn't distribute the original one.? The UVMapper one looks exactly the same...

Llola, All the UV mapping systems I have used will extract the original UV mapped template from any existing model if it has one. That is because that information is imprinted into the model file, so that what you make using the template will follow the geometry that the template represents. If however, you wish to rearrange the geometry representations on the template, you may do so, but immediately after saving your new template, you must export the product model to imprint the new template's arrangement onto it.

Thats the best way I can describe that, and it certainly fits what I have experienced.

In DAZ Studio certain UVs can be transfered to Genesis from the Mil 4 figures. This becomes necessary because if you use a mil 4 texture map set on Genesis, and it is using say Victoria 5's UVs, you'll see breaks in the textures on the figure. This is because the Genesis figure is not using the correct UV map for applying a Mil 4 texture set. If you go to Surfaces and look for the UV channel, clicking there will give you a drop down list showing available UVs for Genesis, including the Mil 4 figure UVs of V4, M4, etc. Click on the appropriate one and the breaks in the texures on the figure will disappear. This is because you just told DAZ Studio to make the Genesis figure allow that Mil 4 UV to imprint on it. This allows any texture for that Mil 4 figure to be used on the Genesis figure. There are products in the DAZ Store that allow this with Mil 3 UVs as well.

Again, I am speaking from what I have experienced, and I think it is good that DAZ Studio has that ability built into it. It expands what can be done with the Genesis figure. I expect that this is also the case with the Genesis 2, 3, and 8 figures as well.

Post edited by Mage 13X13 on
  • Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 433
    edited June 2019

Asking by submitting a help ticket has become a lot more difficult than it was a couple of years ago. I don't know who made the changes there but it is quite confusing now.

That said, when I set up the Texture Challenge, I will be sharing SnowSultan's Versions which have the seam guides. Textures made using those versions will still work for any version of the MFD. Thus I am going forward with the Texture Challenge. Llola, please do not be discouraged. The situation is already handled, I will email you tomorrow to give you the new developments concerning this. You are invited to participate in the challenge, and I would welcome your help getting other members to join in the fun.

Cheers.

Post edited by Mage 13X13 on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

That said, when I set up the Texture Challenge, I will be sharing SnowSultan's Versions which have the seam guides. Textures made using those versions will still work for any version of the MFD.

Sorry to jump in: nearly all versions of the MFD, apart from the one for SP3, that one has a different UV mapping (don't ask me why ...).

https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Morphing_Fantasy_Dress_for_Stephanie_Petite

Kerya said:

That said, when I set up the Texture Challenge, I will be sharing SnowSultan's Versions which have the seam guides. Textures made using those versions will still work for any version of the MFD.

Sorry to jump in: nearly all versions of the MFD, apart from the one for SP3, that one has a different UV mapping (don't ask me why ...).

https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Morphing_Fantasy_Dress_for_Stephanie_Petite

The Steph petite version was made by a different person,  that is wh it is a different UV map.   And Sorry,  Yes I forgot to mention that.

Thank you everyone for your help.... In this day and age of copywrite and infrigement it pays to be cautious and ask.  We must be patient with questions that have been asked before... not everyone will read the thousands of pages in the forum to look for answers first before asking it again. 

Just a note... as a sewer I make clothes all the time with patterns from the sewing industry.  The 'uv templates' look a LOT like pattern pieces to me... Sewing Patterns ARE copywrited.  I think that is what is most confusing for me.

Anyway.. thanks all... Happy texturing.  :)

Thank you everyone for your help.... In this day and age of copywrite and infrigement it pays to be cautious and ask.  We must be patient with questions that have been asked before... not everyone will read the thousands of pages in the forum to look for answers first before asking it again. 

Just a note... as a sewer I make clothes all the time with patterns from the sewing industry.  The 'uv templates' look a LOT like pattern pieces to me... Sewing Patterns ARE copywrited.  I think that is what is most confusing for me.

Paper Patterns for dressmaking are a part of the manufacturing process,   think of them as the mesh,  the geometry of a 3d model,   with the material being the texture.  You can't reslly equate dressmaking patterns and material with 3d models but certainly  a paper Pattern doesn't have the same use as a UV map.

Chohole said:

Paper Patterns for dressmaking are a part of the manufacturing process,   think of them as the mesh,  the geometry of a 3d model,   with the material being the texture.  You can't reslly equate dressmaking patterns and material with 3d models but certainly  a paper Pattern doesn't have the same use as a UV map.

I git'cha... but.. get this.. I have used UV maps as patterns.  I use them for scaling a fabric I may scan... I can add darts.. etc.. to see where the fabric will pull.. etc.  It's helped me a bit... But it's hard to translate into 2D. 

Chohole said:

I git'cha... but.. get this.. I have used UV maps as patterns.  I use them for scaling a fabric I may scan... I can add darts.. etc.. to see where the fabric will pull.. etc.  It's helped me a bit... But it's hard to translate into 2D. 

It really is difficult to equate the two mediums.   When I was doing Costume design and making them for ACW reenactment I was drawing up my own paper patterns from illustrations given in design magazines (or something similar)  It still does not equate to making a texture for a 3d model outfit.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:

Yeah,   he was rather cute.    I don't think Neil has his site up and running still,  So you could see the finished image,    I will check see if I have a copy of it.

Cute Christmasy outfit. So who was the Trog? Looks like maybe a troll very similar to the early one Predaton has. I'm guessing it's a very different figure though?

Chohole said:
    Chohole said:

It really is difficult to equate the two mediums.   When I was doing Costume design and making them for ACW reenactment I was drawing up my own paper patterns from illustrations given in design magazines (or something similar)  It still does not equate to making a texture for a 3d model outfit.

So I am finding... but I still draw on my sewing knowledge as inspiration :)

Chohole said:
    Chohole said:

So I am finding... but I still draw on my sewing knowledge as inspiration :)

Aye.  

Chohole said:
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:

Cute Christmasy outfit. So who was the Trog? Looks like maybe a troll very similar to the early one Predaton has. I'm guessing it's a very different figure though?

To be honest I can't remember now,  it was made a few years ago, It must have been DS only if I had to work purely from the template/UV map.without having the figure.

Chohole said:
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:

To be honest I can't remember now,  it was made a few years ago, It must have been DS only if I had to work purely from the template/UV map.without having the figure.

It's a shame it's no longer available. I like some of the older characters and that outfit was really nice looking at you redo of the textures. You can never have to many trolls or trogladytes in your library. :)

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:

It's a shame it's no longer available. I like some of the older characters and that outfit was really nice looking at you redo of the textures. You can never have to many trolls or trogladytes in your library. :)

https://www.daz3d.com/predatrons-troglodyte

Outfit: https://www.daz3d.com/troglodyte-brute

Kerya said:
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:

Thanks  Kerya       It says it is for Poser as well as DS,   so I can't understand why I didn't just buy the outfit,   maybe I was short of money at the time.  

Kerya said:
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:

Oh, so I was closer to right than I thought when I said it looked similar to Predaton's troll. Cool! Nice to know. The bundle for the base was already on my wishlist, but I don't think I'd ever seen the outfit before. I've got it wishlisted now. Thanks, @Kerya!

Kerya said:
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:

Thanks Kerya... I have a feeling the minute he goes on sale... There will be a lot of sales ;)