chohole can I ask a question?

trikhon_8d763470dbtrikhon_8d763470db Posts: 54
edited December 1969 in The Commons

this is the freebie request thread right?

that might sound strange but why is it that when I posted a request for a beartrap,in this thread,I got the "moved to commons.as this is a request for and not the offer of a freebie" from Richard.

every other post here is a request for a freebie

what do I do that is wrong? it's the secret handshake isn't it.I don't know the secret handshake so I get moved,right?

but in all seriousness what's the deal? please.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

No, this is the freebie request thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/57/
    You may make request there, or else in the Commons.
    Other posts in this forum are for offers of freebies, not requests.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,216
    edited December 1969

If you come here and don't use the link, then just look for the first thread in the second section, you will see a grey bar that says General Freepozitory and right below it is the General Freebie Request thread. See all the threads here are not freebie requests, only that one is. The rest are as Mike says.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited August 2013

There are three buttons below a thread.
    The first is fast reply - which works fine for adding a message to an existing thread
    The second is post reply - and works too
    The third and last to the right is New Topic and opens a new topic instead of replying to a thread, which is not allowed for requests here in the freepozitory.

Edited to add: and here is a free poseable Bear trap
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/37511

Post edited by Kerya on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Well I guess you got the information you needed, even before I saw the question :coolsmile:

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

Erm - should this be moved to the Commons as it's a question, not an offer of a freebie? Or Merged with the Request thread?

edited December 1969

Indeed :red:

• BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367
    edited December 1969

What do we do with exclamations?

I ask because I sometimes get excited :)

R

edited December 1969

!

exclamation.jpg
    450 x 600 - 44K
  • BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367
    edited December 1969

So.... exclamations go in the cat folder...... :)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

Everything goes in the cat folder. Except rain. And dogs. And vacuum cleaners. And...

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,216
    edited December 1969

But not the catnip.

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Everything goes in the cat folder. Except rain. And dogs. And vacuum cleaners. And...

Just be careful with the charger.
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm50/Norgarth/fullycharged_zps9e93ef71.jpg
  • Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 433

Chohole, I am getting mixed information about what can be done with the templates for the Morphing Fantasy Dress and its expansion packs. let me tell you what I wish to do. The specifics of how I proceed will depend on what your reply has in it.

I'm a member at PFDLives.com, and I hold Global Moderator status there. I have been trying to get the forum there back up and running as it was originally set up; as a learning and teaching environment for people in their digital art endeavors, with focus mainly on Poser and DAZ Studio. A couple of years ago our Texture Challenges were stopped, for no other reason than that the content creator that provided her clothing models could no longer create any. The outfits are still available, and the members can use them and the templates provided to make textures and to learn the various ways to do so.

Now I am working to bring the Texture Challenges back, and I wish to expand the amount of products textures can be made for to some created by various content creators like those that sell their products at DAZ3D. I do not need to provide the products, but the templates for those products are a must to facilitate texture creation and the teaching/learning environment. I hope you can understand what I'm telling you here, but if you cannot, ask me any questions. I'll answer them ASAP.

Now I would like to ensure that the template for the MFD is able to be acquired by the members at PFDLives who wish to participate; however, one member at PFDLives has said that sharing the template is not legal without the permission of the content creator and DAZ3D. On the other side of that coin is the majoritiy of people saying it can be shared for the purposes of texture creation for the product. So I made the decision to try and stay within the bounds of what is legal, by asking permission to share the template, or get information on how to acquire the templates, which I could provide so that participants can get the templates for their own use.

So here is my question: Can the templates legally be shared for the purposes of texture creation? If not, can you provide information on how each participant and get the templates for their own use?

I will base my project on what your answers are. Please know that I am not looking to share the OBJ mesh., and will not share even the templates if it is not legal to do so. I prefer that the participants in the texture challenge be owners of at least one version of the MFD. I myself have recently purchased the V4 Morphing Fantasy Dress, and when I looked in my Product Library at DAZ3D, the template for it was not available for me to download. I have been told that the product was created so that people could use it to make their own textures for personal use, and to share or sell. I've seen many texture packs at DAZ3D made for the MFD by various content creators, and there are a lot of freebies at ShareCG and Renderosity. At your site I have found several also, and I have looked at your 2014 Tutorial using the MFD and its template plus an add on for the dress. An excellent and well put together tutorial which I will provide the link to for the participants in the texture challenge.

Please let me know your answers ASAP.

I gave you a link in the other thread to SnowSultan's site where he shares a whole lot of Seam guide UV maps,  which are the easiest to work with for novice texturers.

http://www.snowsultan.com/seam-guides/

Templates or UV maps are for everyone.   No problem sharing the UV maps.   What cannot be shared is the actual product.    So everyone wanting to make a new texture for an MFD version needs to own that version of the MFD.   Same goes for any other product.

Before Genesis came along and changed things I used to run off my own templates from the Clothing geometry OBJs  if there wasn't a template offered. Most newer products do have,  or should have a template / UV map available to download in the Product Library. If you can't find one there you could file a help request.

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,009
    Chohole said:

I gave you a link in the other thread to SnowSultan's site where he shares a whole lot of Seam guide UV maps,  which are the easiest to work with for novice texturers.

Templates or UV maps are for everyone.   No problem sharing the UV maps.   What cannot be shared is the actual product.    So everyone wanting to make a new texture for an MFD version needs to own that version of the MFD.   Same goes for any other product.

Before Genesis came along and changed things I used to run off my own templates from the Clothing geometry OBJs  if there wasn't a template offered. Most newer products do have,  or should have a template / UV map available to download in the Product Library. If you can't find one there you could file a help request.

THANK YOU Chohole!!!  I could kiss you... lol.  I thought templates were ok to use and give away or else .. WHY would creators give the product templates?  After all.. what good is the template if you don't have the product?  duhh... I can't see anyone wanting to make textures for something they don't own.  BTW... the templates on SnowSultan's site are awesome!  Thanks for sharing the link.. I had lost it.

• Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 433
    edited June 2019
    Chohole said:

Thanks Chohole. You just confirmed what I thought, and what most of my friends in this type of business have told me. I will keep this information available. It did seem that if a product is UV mapped, the consensus should be that the template generated by that process exists so that users of the product can do their own textures for the product. I will look at SnowSultan's Seam Guide templates for the MFD and the MFD Addons, because I agree that seam guides are best for beginners, and even for seasoned texture artists who wish to make the process easier.

Again I thank you!

Post edited by Mage 13X13 on
    edited June 2019
    Chohole said:

THANK YOU Chohole!!!  I could kiss you... lol.  I thought templates were ok to use and give away or else .. WHY would creators give the product templates?  After all.. what good is the template if you don't have the product?  duhh... I can't see anyone wanting to make textures for something they don't own.  BTW... the templates on SnowSultan's site are awesome!  Thanks for sharing the link.. I had lost it.

Actually there is one texture on my site that I didn't have the clothing model  nor the character it was for.  Neil (my son, webmaster and DS shader expert half of the team wanted a christmas outfit for the Trog to go a carolling in.  A couple or 3  journeys through the cyber space between the UK and Ireland   and he got his fancy outfit.    LOL.   Easn't the easiest thing I have done though

Post edited by Chohole on
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942

It may just be me, but ...

Chohole said:

Templates or UV maps are for everyone.   No problem sharing the UV maps. 

and

Chohole said:

So everyone wanting to make a new texture for an MFD version needs to own that version of the MFD.   Same goes for any other product.

seem to be contradictory.

Many products (from here and elsewhere) come with, or have available, a Template/UV Map.  I can be a little pedantic and obtuse about language, but you seem to be suggesting that anyone can use those Templates/UV Maps, but only if they own the product, in which case there is no need for them to go looking for the Template.  If someone wishes to make a new texture for a product (let's call it the MFD for the sake of example) can they only do so iif they own the MFD in one of it's versions, or can they find or be provided with a Template/UV Map by someone to allow them to do so?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,713
    SimonJM said:

Chohole said:

and

Chohole said:

So everyone wanting to make a new texture for an MFD version needs to own that version of the MFD.   Same goes for any other product.

Many products (from here and elsewhere) come with, or have available, a Template/UV Map.  I can be a little pedantic and obtuse about language, but you seem to be suggesting that anyone can use those Templates/UV Maps, but only if they own the product, in which case there is no need for them to go looking for the Template.  If someone wishes to make a new texture for a product (let's call it the MFD for the sake of example) can they only do so iif they own the MFD in one of it's versions, or can they find or be provided with a Template/UV Map by someone to allow them to do so?

Well possibly not the original DAZ ones but they certainly could download Snow Sultan’s or use one someone with it has exported from a UV mapper

edited June 2019
    SimonJM said:

Chohole said:

and

Chohole said:

Just badly phrased.   AS Lola said  normally people would not want the UV map/template if they don't own the product.   Have you ever tried making a texture for something without having the actual product?    bel;ieve you me it is not easy, even with Snow Sultan's seam guides.   Very much more difficult without the seam guide

So maybe I should have said 

So one would assume that everyone wanting to make a new texture for an MFD version already owns a version of the MFD.
    Post edited by Chohole on
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:

Actually there is one texture on my site that I didn't have the clothing model  nor the character it was for.  Neil (my son, webmaster and DS shader expert half of the team wanted a christmas outfit for the Trog to go a carolling in.  A couple or 3  journeys through the cyber space between the UK and Ireland   and he got his fancy outfit.    LOL.   Easn't the easiest thing I have done though

Darn... I can't see the photo :(

But... what Agent and I are trying to figure out is... Are we allowed to put the template on our challenge thread so people don't have to look it up?  I just downloaded the MFD template for G3  from my Product Library here at Daz and there is no copywrite on it... nothing that says no sharing... nada... zip.  Will we get in trouble for posting the template on our thread not knowing who owns the dress?

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,301

But... what Agent and I are trying to figure out is... Are we allowed to put the template on our challenge thread so people don't have to look it up?  I just downloaded the MFD template for G3  from my Product Library here at Daz and there is no copywrite on it... nothing that says no sharing... nada... zip.  Will we get in trouble for posting the template on our thread not knowing who owns the dress?

You would need to contact Daz about that to be 100% certain; only they can give that sort of permission - not anyone on the forums.

ok gang... I just looked at a bunch of outfits I have with texture maps included... NONE of them have a copywrite on them... or a name... If I made a UV map, for an outfit, with UVMapper... HOW is anyone gonna know I just didn't distribute the original one.? The UVMapper one looks exactly the same...

edited June 2019

ok gang... I just looked at a bunch of outfits I have with texture maps included... NONE of them have a copywrite on them... or a name... If I made a UV map, for an outfit, with UVMapper... HOW is anyone gonna know I just didn't distribute the original one.? The UVMapper one looks exactly the same...

It could possibly be considered a derivative of the original and as far as I'm aware that's not allowed. Why not contact Daz and ask?

Post edited by scorpio on
    scorpio said:

It could possibly be considered a derivative of the onriginal and as far as I'm aware that's not allowed. Why not contact Daz and ask?

I think Agent did a few days ago... still waiting for an answer... Thought it would be quicker here.  :)

So funny how a simple challenge can cause such problems... I'm not sure it's worth it anymore... lol.  I guess I'll just have to muddle through on my own TRYING to get my textures to "look real" as I was told mine aren't.  :(  No one is willing to help me... I thought a texture challenge would be good practice.  BOY did I open a can of worms!!!   eewwwwwwwwwwww

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,714

So the question is: if you paint something on the template so it can be used a s a texture you can distribute it freely, but if you don't paint anything on it you can't?  Or what?

Taoz said:

So the question is: if you paint something on the template so it can be used a s a texture you can distribute it freely, but if you don't paint anything on it you can't?  Or what?

EXACTLY.... lol... I know... it's silly indeed.

Personally I don't see why you can't but to be on the safe side only Daz can answer, no one in the forums can; and Daz staff don't read the forums.