Genesis 9 delayed until at least 2020. Will you be buying it?

Comments

• Color GaleríaColor Galería Posts: 7
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Color Galería on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

A Bee said:

I don't know, but I think genesis 9 is getting even closer. Daz is launching offers from many "core figures" and is creating bundles with V8 and M8. I remember before they switched generations they launched bundles, that happened with V5-M5 and V6-M6.

It's just my opinion...

Genesis 9 (or whatever) is closer today than it was yesterday, but so is the heat death of the universe.  But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven.  TBH, I don't think Daz know, either.  In the meantime, an update to G8 is apparently in the works, so everyone hoping for a G9 (or whatever) in the near future is setting themselves up for disappointment.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

A Bee said:

I don't know, but I think genesis 9 is getting even closer. Daz is launching offers from many "core figures" and is creating bundles with V8 and M8. I remember before they switched generations they launched bundles, that happened with V5-M5 and V6-M6.

It's just my opinion...

Having seen mention of an upgrade of QT recently in the public beta channel in the forum makes me think you are correct.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,822

nonesuch00 said:

A Bee said:

It's just my opinion...

Having seen mention of an upgrade of QT recently in the public beta channel in the forum makes me think you are correct.

Given that the Daz art director recently said, "A decent-sized update to our Genesis 8 character may be in the works… I’d tell you more, but it’s too early to get fired for breaching an NDA." in the Daz blog itself, it really doesn't seem like Genesis 9 would be all that imminent.

• Sevrin said:

A Bee said:

It's just my opinion...

Genesis 9 (or whatever) is closer today than it was yesterday, but so is the heat death of the universe.  But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven.  TBH, I don't think Daz know, either.  In the meantime, an update to G8 is apparently in the works, so everyone hoping for a G9 (or whatever) in the near future is setting themselves up for disappointment.

Thank you for the link :) 

• 3DMinh3DMinh Posts: 220

vwrangler said:

nonesuch00 said:

A Bee said:

It's just my opinion...

Given that the Daz art director recently said, "A decent-sized update to our Genesis 8 character may be in the works… I’d tell you more, but it’s too early to get fired for breaching an NDA." in the Daz blog itself, it really doesn't seem like Genesis 9 would be all that imminent.

They can call that "decent-sized update" genesis 9, right? In my opinion Genesis 8 is also a decent-sized update to genesis 3

• 3DMinh said:

vwrangler said:

nonesuch00 said:

A Bee said:

It's just my opinion...

They can call that "decent-sized update" genesis 9, right? In my opinion Genesis 8 is also a decent-sized update to genesis 3

a major update would be the equivalent of Genesis 2 -> Genesis 3

a minor update would be the equivalent of Genesis 3 -> Genesis 8 (since Genesis 8 was like a Genesis 3.5 in a way)

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

(since Genesis 8 was like a Genesis 3.5 in a way)

...only uglierdevil

• Think we will get   QT5  daz studio  with  genesis 8 upgrade  including the skin shader  iray and filament  IMO the new art director brought in by daz is going to drag or encourage push whatever  daz from lagging behind in the backwaters like poser to get to grips with the likes of blender. As you know once a customer leaves the daz eco system because they have outgrown the capabilities of the software, they will look for resources to use from the vendors who have geared themselves to sell to that particular shotware customer base. Also the purchaser of the assets  know that they do not have to jump through hoops asa it is with daz to make the assets work in their new choice of software

So yes changes are on the horizon whether the update is Geneis 9 in all but name we will see but I am hopefull that a lot of issuses bugging genesis 8 and Daz will start to be ironed out under the guideing hand of the new art director

We can only hope

edited December 2020

vwrangler said:

nonesuch00 said:

A Bee said:

It's just my opinion...

Sounds cool to me although there has already material adjustments to Genesis 8. I'm guessing that it wouldn't and couldn't be higher geometry on the models unless there was some sort of geometry conversion preset that involved subD or something for the older models.

At any rate, thanks. I look forward to it.  

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,567

So a g8 update is about to drop? Good. There are aspects that need improvement and would  prefer not to buy a new base.

• G8 X .

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,559

ragamuffin57 said:

Think we will get   QT5  daz studio  with  genesis 8 upgrade  including the skin shader  iray and filament  IMO the new art director brought in by daz is going to drag or encourage push whatever  daz from lagging behind in the backwaters like poser to get to grips with the likes of blender. As you know once a customer leaves the daz eco system because they have outgrown the capabilities of the software, they will look for resources to use from the vendors who have geared themselves to sell to that particular shotware customer base. Also the purchaser of the assets  know that they do not have to jump through hoops asa it is with daz to make the assets work in their new choice of software

So yes changes are on the horizon whether the update is Geneis 9 in all but name we will see but I am hopefull that a lot of issuses bugging genesis 8 and Daz will start to be ironed out under the guideing hand of the new art director

We can only hope

QT5 upgrage will not be coming until at the earliest mid 2021 in DS 5.0 because that is tied to BigSur compatibility and it will render all the old plugins unusable for all users, unless there is still someone available/willing to update those plugins.

•  

QT5 upgrage will not be coming until at the earliest mid 2021 in DS 5.0 because that is tied to BigSur compatibility and it will render all the old plugins unusable for all users, unless there is still someone available/willing to update those plugins.

I suppose the compatibility of the plugins is the biggest issue. Some plugins can be re-done to run on the new platform. That has to be done by the PA, as DAZ does not own the sources. Unfortunately, some PA's has joined the other world already, so their plugins will definetly no longer work. QT5 is currently in beta 5 on macOS 11 (BigSur), so it might take some time anyway. QT does run on BigSur, though, so a (limited) support for DAZ Studio 4.15 or 4.16 on BigSur would be highly appreciated.

• Sven Dullah said:

(since Genesis 8 was like a Genesis 3.5 in a way)

...only uglierdevil

...Body. cheeky 

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,518

vwrangler said:

nonesuch00 said:

A Bee said:

It's just my opinion...

I suspect the product will be updated to be more animation/gamer friendly because that's what Canuck fans like, they like things to move in the right direction, and I suspect the art director is a Canucks fan.

• ArtAngel said:

vwrangler said:

nonesuch00 said:

A Bee said:

It's just my opinion...

I suspect the product will be updated to be more animation/gamer friendly because that's what Canuck fans like, they like things to move in the right direction, and I suspect the art director is a Canucks fan.

...which would be in-line with the recent focus on animations. I have to admit that the swimsuit animation was very impressive.... the capabilities of Studio are realy there, the question is: can DAZ fulfill? The new art director might be the best answer we have got, but, from a customer perspective, we need a new markiting manager.....

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310

ArtAngel said:

vwrangler said:

nonesuch00 said:

A Bee said:

It's just my opinion...

I mean if they're pandering to canucks fans I demand the next daz male be based on Elias Petterson (praise be his name) 

I've not been to a hockey game in so long, over 15 years. I thought the Hartford Whalers still existed until I looked it up & found out they are now the Carolina Hurricanes. 

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,518
    edited December 2020

nonesuch00 said:

I've not been to a hockey game in so long, over 15 years. I thought the Hartford Whalers still existed until I looked it up & found out they are now the Carolina Hurricanes. 

At least they moved. Some teams simply change their name.

The Washington Bullets - Washington Wizards (before Harry Potter but because of crime)

Tennessee Oilers - Tennessee Titans (Clash of the Titans TV Series supposedly had nothing to do with it)

Mighty Ducks of Anemheim Anaheim - Mighty Ducks (didn't get it but after they rebranded they won the Stanley cup)

Tampa Bay Devils - Tampa Bay Rays (won a pennant right after)

New Orleans Hornets -New Orleans Pelicans (who loves hornets)

Charlotte Bobcats - Charlotte Hornets (they love hornets)

But not the Canucks, once a Canuck always a Canuck - I was lucky enough to watch them live when I lived in BC (big Gretsky fan). I moved here to the US in 99, no pun intended.

Post edited by ArtAngel on
  • nonesuch00 said:

They're such a bunch of jerks these days. ;)

I just wish we'd get a hockey outfit for G8M before G9M comes along, whenever that is (and if wishes were horses, the steaming pile in the barn wouldn't be my home team). There hasn't been one since M4 and it does not transfer well at all.

I'm fine with a big update to G8 over a new base for the time being. My computer sucks and can barely handle one naked G8 figure and I don't hold out much hope for G9M content based on what G8M has yielded, but there are definitely some things I'd like to see fixed with G8. The weird expressions, the problematic eye geometry, whatever has started happening with G8M's "anatomical elements" suddenly not grafting properly in 4.14...

• that link never loads...

on iPad at least, given that won't try it on my PC

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

that link never loads...

on iPad at least, given that won't try it on my PC

they remove it .

• yeah well scanurl wouldn't open it either so I am definitely not looking again, no idea what you are trying to communicate or why.

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

yeah well scanurl wouldn't open it either so I am definitely not looking again, no idea what you are trying to communicate or why.

The page features express must be built gnensis 9 .

edited December 2020

Cora Regina said:

nonesuch00 said:

They're such a bunch of jerks these days. ;)

I just wish we'd get a hockey outfit for G8M before G9M comes along, whenever that is (and if wishes were horses, the steaming pile in the barn wouldn't be my home team). There hasn't been one since M4 and it does not transfer well at all.

I'm fine with a big update to G8 over a new base for the time being. My computer sucks and can barely handle one naked G8 figure and I don't hold out much hope for G9M content based on what G8M has yielded, but there are definitely some things I'd like to see fixed with G8. The weird expressions, the problematic eye geometry, whatever has started happening with G8M's "anatomical elements" suddenly not grafting properly in 4.14...

I've bought the M4 Hockey Outfits too but everytime I mean to try them I remember I don't have an ice hockey rink.

Well I'd really like to see more geometry in the head of G8.5 I guess you'd call it and the face rig weigh mapping redone after that to make realistic expressions.

You know what would be neat? If head geometry were shaped by:

a) Change the skull shape

b) Change the muscle shapes

c) face rig automatically updated to match the changed skull shape & muscle shapes.

And then do the same with the body. What are there? 204 bones? I forget. I can't even guess how many muscles there are. Oh, and anatomy has mostly the same patterns of fat distibution maps, so for the difference between males and female their would be fat distribution maps as well as the more slight variations between male as a group and females as a group, then you have a fat slider to make people fatter and would be a different dForce collision layer. Same for muscles. And so on.

I think that would require PAs to model more like forensic medical doctors, archealogists, or forensics police then artists though.

I've not tried using the giblets since 4.14 but now you make me try to see if they are a problem now. (tested and it seems the same on my computer)

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,256

Bamber said:

https://renderguide.com/daz3d-genesis-9/

As so often happens in these discussions, almost none of those improvements have anything to do with the Genesis figure itself. 

• To answer the OP question, on the last day of 2020, I can definitely say I am not going to buy any Genesis 9 stuff in 2020.

Regards,

Richard.

• Daz hockey set?

Maybe a good ol' frozen pond, a dforce touque (for G8F only, of course), carbon fiber cyberpunk/post-apocalyptic hockey sticks, a couple polar bears sitting on the side (plus a hockey puck you need to make out of a primitive cylinder because the hockey set comes with a glowing orb like Fox used to do).

/Looking forward to Genesis 9 in 2021 :)