• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I agree with Frank, looks very good.

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

Great work everyone :-)

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,818
    edited August 2013

Meh, this is bad *shakes head at her own stupidity* Was listening to this song and just got this picture in my mind, but when I worked on it I also got this second scene in my mind.. and now I can't decide which one I like the most *laughs* I personally think both of them fit the song very well, but as said, can't quite decide which one I prefer *smiles*

The song that gave birth to my inspiration for these renders are Against All Odds by Phil Collins,

How can I just let you walk away,
    Just let you leave without a trace?
    When I stand here taking every breath with you, ooh ooh
    You're the only one who really knew me at all

How can you just walk away from me
    When all I can do is watch you leave?
    'Cause we've shared the laughter and the pain
    And even shared the tears

So take a look at me now
    Well there's just an empty space
    And there's nothing left here to remind me
    Just the memory of your face
    Ooh, Take a look at me now
    And you coming back to me is against the odds
    And that's what I've got to face,

I wish I could just make you turn around
    Turn around and see me cry
    There's so much I need to say to you
    So many reasons why

So take a look at me now
    And there's nothing left here to remind me
    Just the memory of your face

Now Take a look at me now
    'Cause that's just an empty space
    But to wait for you is all I can do
    And that's what I've got to face

Take a good look at me now
    'Cause I'll still be standing here
    And you coming back to me is against all odds
    It's the chance I've got to take
    Take a look at me now

song_againstallodds2_800pw.jpg
    800 x 450 - 104K
    song_againstallodds1_800pw.jpg
    565 x 800 - 193K
    Post edited by Carola O on
  • keshkesh Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Carola O: The second one is definitely the winner for me. It's a great image as a concept and as a scene setup. The only thing that could be touched is the framing, so that there is much more lion and less stone ;) Probably by getting the camera farther from the scene, lowering it and tilting it a bit, and maybe moving it a bit to the left, so that the perspective is more central you'd get a better framing of it (you'd need to change the focal length to a short teleobjective, 135 - 200 should be more than enough).

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I agree with Kesh, the 2nd oone is a great concept.

edited December 1969

I will go with the second one than :) I freely admit I couldn't choose between them myself *grins*

I personally kinda like the framing, it's a bit too much stone though, so I agree with that. But I also do want to have the guy walking away in the render... hmm I'll see what I can come up with *smiles warmly*

edited August 2013

just a crude example here: but for going from the first one to the second one, the camera has been just moved far away from the subject (and slightly re-centered) and the focal length (objective lens) changed from 65mm to 160mm roughly. Nothing in the scene has been modified.

rend2.jpg
    800 x 432 - 58K
    rend1.jpg
    800 x 432 - 71K
    Post edited by kesh on
    edited December 1969

The focal length on the camera is 120 on that render, not sure it's possible to make it higher and still get the result I want. But I will see what I can do, don't realyl want to have the lioness in the dead center either turth to be told, but we will see :)

edited December 1969

np, to be honest your original render (the 2nd one) is already a very good one. Mine was just a pesky fly comment ^^ (i often tend to be over-critical). Besides, in my example probably the perspective in the 2nd image is too flattened and takes away the sense of disjunction between the two figures that instead is very well achieved in your picture.

edited December 1969

Did some playing around, fiddled with the camera a bit and changed the position slightly. Changed the skin of the lioness to be a little darker. And played with the lights a lot... repostioned them, contrast and saturation, changed some colors and so on :)

Against All Odds

song_againstallodds1.jpg
    800 x 450 - 115K
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Carola O said:
    Did some playing around, fiddled with the camera a bit and changed the position slightly. Changed the skin of the lioness to be a little darker. And played with the lights a lot... repostioned them, contrast and saturation, changed some colors and so on :)

Against All Odds

Looks really good! Great job with the framing, the lighting, and the lioness' pose. I think the depth of field might be a little strong...within the context of your quote it's clear what is happening, but otherwise I'm not sure I would have been able to identify the foreground objects as the legs of someone who is walking away. Especially because one doesn't expect this sort of dramatic emotional scene to take place between man and lioness...not that there's anything wrong with it of course... :lol: I do like that the legs are out of focus, but maybe a little less blur would help.
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I agree with Frank, looks very good.

I've been trying to think of something constructive to say about this one, but ultimately I just have to agree with Frank and Jaderail. Great job! :)
    edited December 1969

*giggles* I do think I might have to soften the DOF indeed, since it's not legs it's an arm and part of his chest *smiles*

edited December 1969

LOL! Now I see it!

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Yesterday

Changed the background in the picture so it, hopefully, does not blend into the ground quite so much.

Yesterday_27.jpg
    700 x 700 - 415K
  • hawkonthewinghawkonthewing Posts: 136
    edited December 1969

Thanks for your feedback, it really helped. I think I will leave this one where it is then! :-)

• SassanikSassanik Posts: 340
    edited December 1969

"Beware of Dragons
    For Thou Are Tastey
    And Crunchy with Barbecue Sauce"

Still working on it, I think the guy needs a different sword and the lighting needs a bit more work, but its a start!
    Amy

Beware_of_Dragons01.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 70K
    edited December 1969

Star Book: and a cool start too! Just, as i already said in other occasions, don't crop out characters' feet! ;)

• TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

You can get a very nice effect when you put a Point Light at about 5% on the blade. This makes it more visible, and adds a nice gleaming touch.

edited December 1969

Here is an updated version.
    I am not sure if I like this pose for the man better or not? Do you think his outfit and sword are too plain when compared to the womans?

TobiasG- thank you for the suggestion!

Beware_of_Dragons28.jpg
    965 x 727 - 73K
  • TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

I don't think pose and sword are too plain, but the characters are rather dark. You might try to put some light on them, they sort of meld with the background.

edited December 1969

TobiasG said:
    I don't think pose and sword are too plain, but the characters are rather dark. You might try to put some light on them, they sort of meld with the background.

I agree with Tobias, you could assign a pointlight to the blue flame that the girl is carrying, make it bluish in color and try rendering the scene again. Possibly you may raise her arm/hand so that the light is better spread over the scene.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,166
    edited December 1969

Yes or you can add some ambient to the sword with the same color. The point light is the quickest to do though and can get roughly the same results.

edited December 1969

Yesterday

Changed the background in the picture so it, hopefully, does not blend into the ground quite so much.

Yep, the picture stands out more now...draws the eye.
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I agree...blue pointlight on the flame. Maybe ambient on the sword too...see how it looks. I like the dragon shadow...what if its mouth was just slightly open?

I might also try some warm-colored lighting coming from the other side, as if from a distant torch or flame? Not too strong, but a little might be interesting.

edited December 1969

Adjusted the lighting and the background color.

What do you think?

Amy

beware_of_dragons3.jpg
    728 x 685 - 290K
    edited December 1969

The characters are more visible now, but there are still many things that imo need to be sorted out:

1- i liked your previous take (framing) much better; the wide angle was more dramatic and exhalted the sense of 'danger' making the two explorers look so small in the huge cave with the big shadow on the wall. The current close up take takes away all the tension... they just look like they're lost somewhere and asking to each other "now what?" - the shadows now doesn't look like a dragon's head anymore.

2- there is still much 'dark against dark' in the picture, making the figures loose their outline and get confuzzled™ in the picture. A typical trick to solve this is to add a backlight pointed at the characters: make a spotlight roughly in front of the camera, on the other side (back) of the subjects, pointed at their backs. Select shadows = none on that spotlight and move it up so that only a thin outline of light is visible from the camera viewpoint. That is a quickly set up 'rim light', and its use is indeed that of outlining the subject in difficult light conditions. It should not be overdone (lower the spot intensity until you only get the character border visible) otherwise you get the typical 'low budget TV show' look and your characters start looking like cutouts in the scene.

3- the poses look a bit unnatural. Try by yourself to assume those poses and focus on how you would keep your legs and arms. Often, only slight changes in the joint angles can really make a difference. And don't forget that shoulders and hips generally anticipate the movements, so rotate and balance even those (not just limbs).

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Brighten the Area behind the Figures, Raise the Dragon Shadow above the figures so you see them against the Brighter area, even make the shadow a bit smaller if needed. Get yourself in one of the poses as you think they should be in front of a mirror, study it. Copy it, then do the other pose. Nothing but good things could happen.

It's a Good render, but can be much better than just good.

edited December 1969

Softened up the dof a little to make the arm and chest slightly more visible :)

Against All Odds

Phil Collins

How can I just let you walk away,
    Just let you leave without a trace?
    When I stand here taking every breath with you, ooh ooh

How can you just walk away from me
    When all I can do is watch you leave?
    'Cause we've shared the laughter and the pain
    And even shared the tears

So take a look at me now