Comments

• TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

So, any thoughts about my two WIPs?

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

Hi TobiasG :-)
    I like you’re first render only I miss one thing, his strength / power
    You’re character looks very strong, so I think this pose is too easy for him.
    Maybe a push-up pose on one hand,

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

mori_mann said:
    An example of what you're not suppposed to do: captioning a pic!

I was re-reading my favourit books (Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy, just for the record) and this 'poem' always makes me cringe as much as giggle. I chose for giggle and made this. Everything is a WIP, character, skin, hair choice.. but I had fun, so I'm going to share anyway. Character is my take on a character from teh books.

LOL, as another reader of everything written by Robin Hobbs (whichever name she writes under) I can understand the quote, but for anyone who doesn't read the books it isn't really a quote that stands up by itself, needs too much explanation really.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

TobiasG said:
    So, any thoughts about my two WIPs?
    Opps, okay first, Mastering is in my view a bit in need of better composition. Not just the placement of the figure, dead center is not a power pose, centered in the camera is also not a a very good idea. I understand the concept but I'm not seeing the struggle to master himself. Looks to me as if he is ready to master others. It needs some tension, something more than a perfect push-up pose. Maybe a not full up pose, with a bit of a expression that says I'm trying for just one more? Just my two cents.

Next: I think you have NAILED Gateway. The off center and hinting of more that the mind needs to add makes it a great image to my way of seeing things.
    edited December 1969

Zenrel said:
    Yeah, I accidentally render it to png and solved it by using a editing program to change it to jpg. Now the size is 61kb xD

Here's the final version.

I'm liking this much, but as a southern boy with Fireflies in his yard, to me they just lost the power they should have. I like the amount you now have, I like the placement also, but they are all the same. One would be brighter than the others as it just flashed, also more yellowish in color, and others also in different phases of the fade from bright to off. In my yard I see Bright and dim all mixed in from many places. I suggest if you think it over again to also think of how the Flies work to draw the eyes to the focus of the image.
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

Jimi Hendrix

Any and all comments / suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance.

Aug_2013_First_Entry_2.jpg
    700 x 700 - 370K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    mori_mann said:

I was re-reading my favourit books (Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy, just for the record) and this 'poem' always makes me cringe as much as giggle. I chose for giggle and made this. Everything is a WIP, character, skin, hair choice.. but I had fun, so I'm going to share anyway. Character is my take on a character from teh books.

LOL, as another reader of everything written by Robin Hobbs (whichever name she writes under) I can understand the quote, but for anyone who doesn't read the books it isn't really a quote that stands up by itself, needs too much explanation really. You had to go there.. Both of you... just where did I store my brain bleach?
    edited December 1969

Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

Jimi Hendrix

Any and all comments / suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance.

It's pretty but I'm having trouble tagging the quote to the image. I get the Driver is speaking and the other listening, but nothing suggests why either would be doing so. Just my two cents.
  • ZenrelZenrel Posts: 245
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Zenrel said:
    Yeah, I accidentally render it to png and solved it by using a editing program to change it to jpg. Now the size is 61kb xD

Here's the final version.

I'm liking this much, but as a southern boy with Fireflies in his yard, to me they just lost the power they should have. I like the amount you now have, I like the placement also, but they are all the same. One would be brighter than the others as it just flashed, also more yellowish in color, and others also in different phases of the fade from bright to off. In my yard I see Bright and dim all mixed in from many places. I suggest if you think it over again to also think of how the Flies work to draw the eyes to the focus of the image.

Thanks Jaderail. I'll go ahead and mess around the fireflies some more.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

I think the contest has barley started and already the judges are going to have a tough time picking their winners. ;-)

Yeah it's certainly shaping up to be a tough one! Lots of good stuff already...
    edited December 1969

TobiasG said:
    That's an interesting theme! I got several ideas actually. Let me try a first render, though I have other interpretations in mind for this quote, too.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power.
    Lao Tzu

I like the use of Depth of Field, and the lighting certainly adds some drama--though it would be nice if his eyes were a bit more brightly lit, in order to really show the determination on his face. Sasje's comment has me wondering about his backstory...is there something in his past that he's had to overcome in order to master himself? It would be interesting if this were hinted at in your render.
    edited December 1969

Sasje said:
    Hi TobiasG :-)
    I like you’re first render only I miss one thing, his strength / power
    You’re character looks very strong, so I think this pose is too easy for him.
    Maybe a push-up pose on one hand,

Jaderail said:
    TobiasG said:
    So, any thoughts about my two WIPs?Opps, okay first, Mastering is in my view a bit in need of better composition. Not just the placement of the figure, dead center is not a power pose, centered in the camera is also not a a very good idea. I understand the concept but I'm not seeing the struggle to master himself. Looks to me as if he is ready to master others. It needs some tension, something more than a perfect push-up pose. Maybe a not full up pose, with a bit of a expression that says I'm trying for just one more? Just my two cents.

Yes, I thought I'd try a center view for this one - even though it's not usually recommended - but you're right, he's too static that way. And not struggling enough :)
    So I had him do a one-hand pushup, and gave him something painful he's had to overcome. Ink definitely qualifies, ime :)

Next: I think you have NAILED Gateway. The off center and hinting of more that the mind needs to add makes it a great image to my way of seeing things.

Thanks!

That's an interesting theme! I got several ideas actually. Let me try a first render, though I have other interpretations in mind for this quote, too.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power.
    Lao Tzu

I like the use of Depth of Field, and the lighting certainly adds some drama--though it would be nice if his eyes were a bit more brightly lit, in order to really show the determination on his face. Sasje's comment has me wondering about his backstory...is there something in his past that he's had to overcome in order to master himself? It would be interesting if this were hinted at in your render.

I did fiddle around with a Point Light at the eyes, but the result was either too bright for my taste, or not really noticeable. A hint about the dude's past is a terrific idea, but difficult to implement... I'll have to think about that one. The shadow from a caged window (prison) might be too obvious :)

Strength3.jpg
    799 x 532 - 155K
    edited December 1969

Zenrel said:
    The image is still rendering, but here what I have so far.

"If you want to be a hero, you need to have Dreams, and Honor." -Angeal Final Fantasy 7 Crisis Core

Seems like a good start, though I'm looking forward to seeing a more polished render of it. :) I can sense the dreams and honor on her face, and the juxtaposition of her outfit and the sword is a nice touch (though perhaps not as unusual in the FF universe...).
    edited December 1969

I love this idea, narrowing down which things to use is going to be the hard part!

First go, my favorite e e cummings poem.

somewhere i have never traveled, gladly beyond
    any experience, your eyes have their silence:
    in your most frail gesture are things which enclose me,
    or which i cannot touch because they are too near

your slightest look easily will unclose me
    though i have closed myself as fingers,
    you open always petal by petal myself as Spring opens
    (touching skillfully, mysteriously)her first rose

or if your wish be to close me, i and
    my life will shut very beautifully ,suddenly,
    as when the heart of this flower imagines
    the snow carefully everywhere descending;

nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals
    the power of your intense fragility: whose texture
    compels me with the color of its countries,
    rendering death and forever with each breathing

(i do not know what it is about you that closes
    and opens; only something in me understands
    the voice of your eyes is deeper than all roses)
    nobody, not even the rain, has such small hands

I like the lighting and the ethereal glow of the female character...fits well with the tenderness and vulnerability expressed in the poem. And I think the literal depiction of the symbolism of the speaker-as-flower is an interesting idea--I'd want to see his face a bit more clearly, though...maybe experiment with different perspectives or points-of-view.

I also like the setting--the architecture (tomb?), the mix of spring and winter motifs...it all seems very fitting.

I'm noticing what looks like a dark halo above and to the left of the female character. Not sure what this is, but it kind of makes her look out-of-place in the scene...

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

TobiasG
    I like the new pose more than the first one :-), it say's more than the first one.

• ZenrelZenrel Posts: 245
    edited December 1969

Zenrel said:
    The image is still rendering, but here what I have so far.

"If you want to be a hero, you need to have Dreams, and Honor." -Angeal Final Fantasy 7 Crisis Core

Seems like a good start, though I'm looking forward to seeing a more polished render of it. :) I can sense the dreams and honor on her face, and the juxtaposition of her outfit and the sword is a nice touch (though perhaps not as unusual in the FF universe...).

I was rendering that image for 40+ hours, the image still have lots of white noise and looks like that's how far the render could go. Is there a guide of how to use the Luxus white noise reduction settings or a program to eliminate it?

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    chohole said:
    mori_mann said:

LOL, as another reader of everything written by Robin Hobbs (whichever name she writes under) I can understand the quote, but for anyone who doesn't read the books it isn't really a quote that stands up by itself, needs too much explanation really.
    You had to go there.. Both of you... just where did I store my brain bleach?

Oops. Sorry!

Wait, no I'm not! I do realize it means nothing to anyone who did not read the books, but then, it's not an entry, just an illustration ;) Still fishing for inspiration for an actual entry, but the month is young.

edited December 1969

mori_mann said:
    Jaderail said:
    chohole said:
    mori_mann said:

You had to go there.. Both of you... just where did I store my brain bleach?

Oops. Sorry!

Wait, no I'm not! I do realize it means nothing to anyone who did not read the books, but then, it's not an entry, just an illustration ;) Still fishing for inspiration for an actual entry, but the month is young.

Oh don't be sorry, it gave me a laugh. I am at the moment still trying to decide whether I have the patience to wait till "Blood of Dragons comes out in Paper back, to finish the current series. Only thing I have against Robin Hobb is the length of time you have to wit for a paperback version of the books after the hardback comes out.

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    mori_mann said:

Oops. Sorry!

Oh don't be sorry, it gave me a laugh. I am at the moment still trying to decide whether I have the patience to wait till "Blood of Dragons comes out in Paper back, to finish the current series. Only thing I have against Robin Hobb is the length of time you have to wit for a paperback version of the books after the hardback comes out.

I doubt I'll wait. I'm trying to, but fails with the other parts. Ah! And not I want to make an Elderling character. And I'm only a noob! *slinks out of the thread before it derails further*

edited December 1969

mori_mann said:
    chohole said:
    mori_mann said:

Oops. Sorry!

I doubt I'll wait. I'm trying to, but fails with the other parts. Ah! And not I want to make an Elderling character. And I'm only a noob! *slinks out of the thread before it derails further*

AN Elderling would be easier to do with DS and Genesis than I could do with gen 4 and Poser, methinks.

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited December 1969

Beautiful render :-)

Zenrel said:
    Here's an updated version from the help so far. What do you guys think?

Edit: I added a second picture with some fireflies in the background to add a little detail of life. With the DoF, you barely notice it, but not a huge difference.

"What a healthy out-of-door appetite it takes to relish the apple of life, the apple of the world, then!" - Henry David Thoreau, Wild Apples

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited August 2013

Very cool. I just discovered this, goodness, Lol !! Hope she doesn't scare anyone, give anyone nightmares, Lol !!!

Edit: Oops wrong thread, I think :ohh:

Post edited by AJ2112 on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

awesomefb said:
    Very cool. I just discovered this, goodness, Lol !! Hope she doesn't scare anyone, give anyone nightmares, Lol !!!

Edit: Oops wrong thread, I think :ohh:

Not if you stick a quote from Bram Stoker or Anne Rice. ;-)
  • hawkonthewinghawkonthewing Posts: 136
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Scott-Livingston, that gave me a few ideas to play with. I'll give those a try (once I quit having DAZ issues, GRRR :down:)

edited December 1969

3ch0_419 said:
    The song that I chose for my render was 'Shine Your Light' by Robbie Robertson. Make note of the bold lyrics.

The cry of the city like a siren's song
    Wailing over the rooftops the whole night long
    Saw a shooting star like a diamond in the sky
    Must be someone's soul passing by

These are the streets
    Where we used to run where your Papa's from
    These are the days
    Where you become what you become
    These are the streets
    Where the story's told
    The truth unfolds
    Darkness settles in

Shine your light down on me
    Lift me up so I can see
    Shine your light when you're gone
    Give me the strength
    To carry on, carry on

Don't wanna be a hero
    Just an everyday man
    Trying to do the job the very best he can
    But now it's like living on borrowed time
    Out on the rim, over the line
    Always tempting fate like a game of chance
    Never wanna stick around to the very last dance
    Sometimes I stumble and take a hard fall
    Lose hold your grip off the wall

Lift me up so I can see
    Give me the strength to carry on
    Carry on

I thought I saw him walking by the side of the road
    Maybe trying to find his way home

He's here but not here
    He's gone but not gone
    Just hope he knows if I get lost

Lift me up so I can see
    Give me the strength to carry on
    Carry on

Those where the ones to inspire me. I would like to note that this render is also a tribute to my late father whose 59th birthday would have been this month.

Very touching...I like the sense of the meeting of two souls from different times. I will say that the ghostly figure looks almost holographic to me, especially alongside the futuristic armor of the other figure. That's not necessarily a problem, but if it's not what you're going for, you might experiment with different ghostly effects, in-render and/or in postwork.

The lighting looks good but perhaps too dark, especially considering the song title. Maybe think of some more ways to incorporate shining light, without brightening the image too much.

edited December 1969

TobiasG said:
    I love Tolkien. I may have to revisit some of my favorite passages to find one that I wish to use.

JRRT might be difficult - he didn't produce that many short, to the point, quotable text. Of course, most of the longer songs or poems could be illustrated with an elf staring wistfully into the distance, I guess :)

(love Tolkien, despise Elves)
    Some possibilities: http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/search?utf8=✓&q=tolkien&commit=Search ;-)

edited December 1969

One quote that I once tried to illustrate from Tolkien was this one from Frodo

I sit beside the fire and think
    of all that I have seen
    of meadow flowers and butterflies
    in summers that have been.

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/I_Sit_Beside_the_Fire_and_Think

edited December 1969

TobiasG said:
    I softened the light a bit, corrected the finger pose, and fit the top better to get rid of that black spot.

What do you think?

I like the framing, and to me the pose looks perfect. If there's room for improvement, it's in the lighting in my opinion. Not that there's anything really wrong with it as is...but if you think about the lighting in terms of the impact/impression it makes on the viewer, you might find a setup that works even better.
    edited December 1969

TobiasG said:
    I love Tolkien. I may have to revisit some of my favorite passages to find one that I wish to use.

JRRT might be difficult - he didn't produce that many short, to the point, quotable text. Of course, most of the longer songs or poems could be illustrated with an elf staring wistfully into the distance, I guess :)

Some possibilities: http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/search?utf8=✓&q=tolkien&commit=Search ;-)Wait one blooming minute. Did I really read that? Looks real close, yep it says what it thought it did. Despise Elves, hmm... very interesting.
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    TobiasG said:

Some possibilities: http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/search?utf8=✓&q=tolkien&commit=Search ;-)Wait one blooming minute. Did I really read that? Looks real close, yep it says what it thought it did. Despise Elves, hmm... very interesting.

:D I tend to root for the orcses...

The JRRT quotes on goodreads are indeed pretty good (if perhaps difficult to illustrate). I might need to read the books again! Of course, if I look at my sig, maybe I should start with Bablyon 5 quotes... :)