Canary3d - Manga Marker Materials [Commercial]

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,705

How does this work with G8M?

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004

The face and body textures have baked in shading and highlighting that is designed around a female form, so those might look strange on a flat chest or a 6-pack ab. I haven't tested them on a male figure but Artini's getting good results in this thread smiley.  I don't know if they are using the default G8M UV.  

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,705
    Canary3d said:

The face and body textures have baked in shading and highlighting that is designed around a female form, so those might look strange on a flat chest or a 6-pack ab. I haven't tested them on a male figure but Artini's getting good results in this thread smiley.  I don't know if they are using the default G8M UV.  

Maybe an idea of G8M version?  So alien girl can have alien boyfriend?

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Thank you @Canary3d for being so responsive.  Great video.  I got the product and can't wait to give it a try.  

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Canary3d - I love your manga marker shaders.  I had to try them.  I didn't take a whole lot of time on this render, but here is my first test.  The version on the left is with no post work.  On the right, I've added some outlines in post.

manga marker test .jpg
    1751 x 1000 - 441K
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,861
    edited June 2018

Thanks. Yes, I have UV-swapping product, but I have just applied ready made presets for G8F on G8M.

By the way, it such easy to use product for those kind of renders, that I have not approached yet.

Very well done, Canary3d.

And yes, I have all the previous products for NPR, but none of them is in class of Manga Marker materials.

Post edited by Artini on

Just watched the video - it is excellent. It clarifies other things, I have not thought of them, yet.

Thanks a lot for taking your time and made it, Canary3d.

edited June 2018

Could one of these sample renders be performed WITH the headlamp explicitly on? Or possibly with the even all-round lighting sphere that I think comes with Sketchy? These are both tricks I've used to downplay the 3d-ness of a render.

Great tips - what else one could do for that kind of renders?

Below is the iray render of Victoria 8 with Lauren hair

https://www.daz3d.com/lauren-hair-for-genesis-3-and-8-females

and dForce Wet And Dry Classic Dress - https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-hd-wet-and-dry-classic-dress-for-genesis-8-females

Used standard ds lights and "headlamp on" on the camera.

v8sc01pic05.jpg
    800 x 1080 - 88K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited June 2018

... and the close up with the pale skin preset.

What a wonderful materials - I think I am in love...

Sending virtual hugs and kisses to Canary3d

v8sc02pic01.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 242K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited June 2018

One more test with Sketchys lightning - "gradated" and rendering with one of included backdrops.

v8sc04pic01.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 329K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

Those are great! I went ahead and picked up the set, and hopefully I'll be able to post some renders of my own today. I'm excited to both see what I can do with straight renders and what I can do with postwork.

Those are great! I went ahead and picked up the set, and hopefully I'll be able to post some renders of my own today. I'm excited to both see what I can do with straight renders and what I can do with postwork.

Thanks. Please post some of yours - will be interesting to see different techniques used.

Anyhow, I think this is much better solution than any other previously available, and it is so easy to use.

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

straight render with JUST the Sketchy Solid Lighting, and the same render slightly filtered.

manga markers sakura 1@0,5x.jpg
    865 x 1400 - 416K
    manga markers sakura filtered.jpg
    1730 x 2800 - 434K

Looks very nice, dreamfarmer.

edited June 2018

Michael 8 with Short Wet hair and Basic Wear briefs.

Rendered with the Sketchy Solid Lighting.

M8sc02pic06.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 133K
    M8sc02pic07.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 334K
    M8sc03pic01.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 295K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,027

That first Michael render looks amazing @Artini!

@dreamfarmer, that lighting is perfect, really nice render!

@Artini, that's a very cool render but the bosom highlight is pretty noticeable.  Do you (and/or anyone else) think it would be useful for me to add seamless shaders of the base skin colors with no highlight or shading, to use on torsos or for situations where the highlight/shading is not optimal? Just a big square of the base color, I mean, but with a preset to apply it to a surface.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I think this is a great suggestion. You may not want the highlight for young characters or infants and it would certainly help with men.

Canary3d said:

@Artini, that's a very cool render but the bosom highlight is pretty noticeable.  Do you (and/or anyone else) think it would be useful for me to add seamless shaders of the base skin colors with no highlight or shading, to use on torsos or for situations where the highlight/shading is not optimal? Just a big square of the base color, I mean, but with a preset to apply it to a surface.

+1

edited June 2018

Ok, I created seamless skin-color shaders with no highlighting or shading - just a big color square.  Here is a comparison - on the left she has the full skin texture, on the right she has the seamless "skin matching" shader on her torso and face only. She looks more like a plastic toy without the shading, I think, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, and male characters will definitely look better without the bosom highlight.  I'll submit this as a product update and I'll post here when it's through QA and ready to download (you'll just need to update the product to get it to install). 

MM_Compare.jpg
    1896 x 1300 - 2M
    MM_skinmatch.JPG
    321 x 420 - 30K
    Post edited by Canary3d on
    Canary3d said:

Ok, I created seamless skin-color shaders with no highlighting or shading - just a big color square.  Here is a comparison - on the left she has the full skin texture, on the right she has the seamless "skin matching" shader on her torso and face only. She looks more like a plastic toy without the shading, I think, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, and male characters will definitely look better without the bosom highlight.  I'll submit this as a product update and I'll post here when it's through QA and ready to download (you'll just need to update the product to get it to install). 

Thank you very much!

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159
    Canary3d said:

Thank you so much @Canary3D smiley

Thanks a lot, Gigi_FenixPhoenix.

edited June 2018
    Canary3d said:

Thanks, that will be great , Canary3d.

Post edited by Artini on
    edited June 2018

One more render - with Xoxo - https://www.daz3d.com/xoxo-for-genesis-8-female

Xoxo06pic01.jpg
    1600 x 1080 - 459K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited June 2018
    Canary3d said:

That looks great - thank you very, very much for creating it, Canary3d.

Post edited by Artini on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited June 2018

The manga marker modifications look good on the men I think. I had to adjust the lips to give them a bit more color (I may have gone too far but, it worked for me). I really like the look, and the feel. The shaders really lend themselves to making linear art, which is an area of interest of mine.

Here's my results... After some tweaking.

manga-markersfinal.jpg
    1800 x 1400 - 1M
    Post edited by Serene Night on

Love the render @Serene_Night!

edited June 2018

A quick render of Sakura. Thank you @Canary3D for the tips - I think I've grasped how to change her eyes with your help yes.

I'm leaving today to go on holiday, otherwise I'd have spent a little on this and also tried dForce on the skirt. 

SaveSave

18-06-13-Sakura-Manga-Markers.jpg
    1200 x 1697 - 733K
    Post edited by Mollytabby on
    edited June 2018

@SereneNight: Looks great. I have to try B&W myself.

@Mollytabby: Nice looking render of Sakura and the eyes looks great. I have always problems with posing the eyes on Sakura.

Post edited by Artini on