Canary3d - Manga Marker Materials [Commercial]

Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004

New in the store - Manga Marker Materials, a set of textures, material presets, and tiling shaders based on Copic & Tombow markers.  I always enjoy non-realistic, illustration-style textures for characters, but they sometimes don't look right in a scene with photoreal clothing, hair, etc, so this set is designed to provide everything you need for a unified look.

The colors are all sampled from my own marker collection and the seamless clothing textures feature hand-drawn designs. There are also backgrounds made with real life markers and real paper scans. Her eyebrows are LIEbrows so you can choose from different expressions or use mesh brows for a different look. Her eyelash transparency is hand-drawn with a brush marker. And there are marker-style hair color presets that you can use with your hair's existing transparency. 

The shaders are Iray based but they don't use the Uber shader -- they use the much simpler matte rubber Iray base, to create a really smooth "colored in" look, and they render well in 3Delight without any conversion.

Oh and for Sakura 8 fans - I remapped her eyeballs and eye sockets to use standard Genesis 8 Female uv's! My set has presets specifically for her eyes -- to use other G8F textures on her eyes you will need to load the textures manually, (because her surface names are different from Genesis 8 Female's), and then select the new UV from the drop down list.

https://www.daz3d.com/manga-marker-materials-for-genesis-8-female

Edit: Now with video walkthrough! https://youtu.be/sQLbBdjoQ8I

Post edited by Canary3d on

Comments

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

This looks like a terrific product.  Is it easy/intuitive to use?  Would you consider making a vid showing how it is used?

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,158

I snapped them up, even though I had told myself I wasn’t going to buy anything else before my holiday. smiley

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128
    edited June 2018

How much of this is shaders that can be applied to other models? I saw the clothing listed as shaders, but there’s nothing there that would work as skin, it seems?

i’ll have to add the g8 uv swapper to my wishlist, I suspect....

Post edited by dreamfarmer on
  • Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004

The character skins are all figure-based, not-tiling UV maps.  The clothing textures are all tiling shader presets that you can use for any model. The hair presets are diffuse color only - they are seamless but because they work with existing non-seamless transparency I don't advise changing the tiling factor, and they probably would look strange on non-hair objects. 

Worlds_Edge, I think it's easy but I'm not the best judge of that - let me see about putting a quick video up. 

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528
    edited June 2018

I have also bought this item quickly and without any hesitation - have not tried materials, yet,

but have immediate use for them.

Post edited by Artini on
  • dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

So other than the promo where you used Sketchy, the others were straight Iray renders once you applied these materials/shaders? surprise

This looks like a terrific product.  Is it easy/intuitive to use?  Would you consider making a vid showing how it is used?

Canary3d said:

The character skins are all figure-based, not-tiling UV maps.  The clothing textures are all tiling shader presets that you can use for any model. The hair presets are diffuse color only - they are seamless but because they work with existing non-seamless transparency I don't advise changing the tiling factor, and they probably would look strange on non-hair objects. 

Worlds_Edge, I think it's easy but I'm not the best judge of that - let me see about putting a quick video up. 

That would truly be awesome.  I'm not good at figuring this stuff out.  I have it in my cart but would love to see it in action or hear from other users.  Thanks!

edited June 2018

Below is a DS iray render of Girl 8 with default lights - no headlamp. Bronwyn hair,  Audacious Outfit

What lighting setup do you recommend, Canary3d?

G8Manga01pic03.jpg
    800 x 1080 - 118K
    Post edited by Artini on

@Artini, I'm doing a render at the moment using only the sun/sky settings to illumate the figure as suggested in the product information. I'm really pleased with the way it's looking. I'm also using Girl 8 because I was struggling with Sakura's eyes (which is probably down to how I'm trying to use Sakura because I've always had problems changing eye colour with the base Sakura model).

edited June 2018

Floyd 8...

Floyd02pic01.jpg
    800 x 1080 - 110K
    Post edited by Artini on

Nice, @Artini! I am terrible at lighting -- always have been -- but I understand how the sun works (mostly), so I just use Sun/Sky all the time for my promos.  I figure that way people can get the same results as me even if they aren't great at lighting either. 

@Mollytabby, the thing about Sakura's eyes is to remember that they are a conforming item - basically like hair or a hat - and that the Genesis 8 Female eyes are morphed away when you dial up the Sakura 8 shape. So you have to apply the Sakura preset to Sakura's conforming eye figure in the scene.  Also make sure you are using the _Sakura8_ eye presets since they apply the right UV as well as the maps. 

I'm just editing the viddy now and will post again when it's up on Youtube.

edited June 2018

@Artini, I'm doing a render at the moment using only the sun/sky settings to illumate the figure as suggested in the product information. I'm really pleased with the way it's looking. I'm also using Girl 8 because I was struggling with Sakura's eyes (which is probably down to how I'm trying to use Sakura because I've always had problems changing eye colour with the base Sakura model).

Where did you find product information?

I have looked at http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/53261/start

but could not find anything about lights used.

Correction - there is something - "All promos were rendered with Iray using sun/sky light only."

Post edited by Artini on
    edited June 2018

This is a quick render of Girl 8. No post work at all other than to drop the background marker effect provided with the product into a layer and to place my signature at the bottom.

The-Girl-Manga-Markers-1.jpg
    1500 x 2121 - 2M
    Post edited by Mollytabby on
    Canary3d said:

Nice, @Artini! I am terrible at lighting -- always have been -- but I understand how the sun works (mostly), so I just use Sun/Sky all the time for my promos.  I figure that way people can get the same results as me even if they aren't great at lighting either. 

@Mollytabby, the thing about Sakura's eyes is to remember that they are a conforming item - basically like hair or a hat - and that the Genesis 8 Female eyes are morphed away when you dial up the Sakura 8 shape. So you have to apply the Sakura preset to Sakura's conforming eye figure in the scene.  Also make sure you are using the _Sakura8_ eye presets since they apply the right UV as well as the maps. 

I'm just editing the viddy now and will post again when it's up on Youtube.

I'm still a little technically challenged with Daz Studio @Canary3D and Sakura, much as I love her, has always been a bit of a problem for me.

I'll give it another go after I've finished working on the The Girl. The image above hadn't finished rendering so I've restarted it again to give it some more time. I'm then going to play around with it in Photoshop.

I have to say I'm really pleased with the way it has come out as a pure render.  

Looks great, Mollytabby.

edited June 2018
    Atlas03pic02.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 199K
    Post edited by Artini on
    Artini said:

Looks great, Mollytabby.

Thank you! I'm loving seeing what you are doing with all the different characters.

dawnblade said:

So other than the promo where you used Sketchy, the others were straight Iray renders once you applied these materials/shaders? surprise

Yes! I wanted to see how un-photographic an effect I could get with Iray rendering, because there's an idea that it's only good for photoreal effects, and this is the result :) 

Thanks a lot, Mollytabby.

edited June 2018
    Masao02pic02.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 183K
    Post edited by Artini on

Mollytabby and Artini - I love your renders, particularly the girl and atlas.  Awesome.  

Thank you very much, Worlds_Edge.

Thank you @Worlds_Edge smiley. I'm re-rendering Girl 8 at the moment because in all the excitement of using the shaders I hadn't noticed a problem with her thumb position on her left hand. 

Could one of these sample renders be performed WITH the headlamp explicitly on? Or possibly with the even all-round lighting sphere that I think comes with Sketchy? These are both tricks I've used to downplay the 3d-ness of a render.

I realize it is intended/supported for G8F, but can someone try it on G8M?

I think without a UV-swapping product it would look like any cross-applied skin material -- there'll be gaps.

Oooh iI bet it will work on Sasuki though!

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,001
    edited June 2018

I realize it is intended/supported for G8F, but can someone try it on G8M?

Artini did apply the products to several G8M guys above, so it works (though not sure if the UV-swapping product was used).

I just got this product. Hopefully I'll be able to play with it later in the week.

Post edited by FenixPhoenix on

@gigi_FenixPhoenix - I'm an idiot!  I even liked Artini's renders, lmao.  Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

edited June 2018
    Post edited by Canary3d on