DressShop -- on Sale at DAZ [Commercial]

Comments

• siocsioc Posts: 299
    edited December 1969

hi,

sorry, i must be a very bad user...

In the pdf it's written :

Here’s an idea: We could user a mannequin. We could; if we save a character (in this case base Genesis) from DAZ Studio as an OBJ, we can import it into DressShop’s Accessory Library and use it as a mannequin. Now we can see the cut in relation to the body, which is helpful.

How do you do that,? what options in the obj export ?

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited December 1969

sioc said:
    hi,

sorry, i must be a very bad user...

In the pdf it's written :

Here’s an idea: We could user a mannequin. We could; if we save a character (in this case base Genesis) from DAZ Studio as an OBJ, we can import it into DressShop’s Accessory Library and use it as a mannequin. Now we can see the cut in relation to the body, which is helpful.

How do you do that,? what options in the obj export ?

In daz studio, set your figure's resolution to low. Go to File > export> then save with name and location, then in the objexport options, in the drop down beside "To:" select Bryce from the drop down. I usually go with default settings. Bryce is the size scaling that Dress Shop uses. Then in Dress Shop, in the accessories tab with accessories open, double click on one of the accessories boxes to open a loading dialogue, where you can browse to where you saved the export, and load it as a mannequin accessory. Make sure you delete it before you export your finished dress Shop project. :)

edited December 1969

Visioneer said:
    I decided to load a comparison of the UVs before and after editing (in this case, using the Dress Base Model.) Granted, in skilled hands or more time spent on fine tuning, the results of the shape would probably be much better. That being said, unless a recent update addresses the UV issue, I don't believe any amount of skill will fix that, unless you work with them manually. I'm attaching an image for your reference.

That's absolutely bizarre. That definitely doesn't happen to me. My UV map was pretty square. In an earlier version i think i may have had a weird mapping issue like that but my dawn dress took flat square maps just fine...

• VisioneerVisioneer Posts: 158
    edited December 1969

That's absolutely bizarre. That definitely doesn't happen to me. My UV map was pretty square. In an earlier version i think i may have had a weird mapping issue like that but my dawn dress took flat square maps just fine...

Yeah, apparently the UVs got mangled after the edit was done and the mesh was saved out. Laslo took a look at the problem, and he made a correct in nearly real time. He changed the UVs to be saved out in planar versus what looked like cylindrical or LSCM. Admittedly, I was quite impressed with the correction and turn-around. Speaking of turn around, I also have to admit your Jack o'Lantern is pretty crazy cool, looking.

• info_b3470fa520info_b3470fa520 Posts: 880
    edited December 1969

Thanks Visioneer. The UV's are now all correct and you can download a fresh service release DressShop 1.04 at:
    http://abalonellc.com/free-upgrade-for-existing-pro-users.html
    Thanks everyone for your support - these are very exciting times for us!
    Laslo

projectssm.jpg
    600 x 470 - 76K
    edited December 1969

OOOOOOOOOOOOOH yeah rocking !!!! :D :D Fast work! <3</p>

edited September 2013

Alia, a quick question:
    How do you create a lace effect (parts of the texture solid, other transparent) like what you did in this model? Can you help me?

DressShopmask.jpg
    453 x 500 - 52K
    Post edited by info_b3470fa520 on
    edited December 1969

Lacemaker! http://www.daz3d.com/the-lacemaker
    But there are also lots of alternatives for lace, any lace pattern can be tiled and given transparency with the same black and white lace texture. Wilmap (Wendy) has 3 free tiling lace materials for DS at ShareCG too: http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=wilmap&division_id=0&s=dd&pn=12 which i use along with Lacemaker :)

I cut out the mask part, and then just applied the lace texture (just a simple black texture, any will do, really) and a lace transparency, and tiled it. :)

edited December 1969

Actually, it is very simple, thanks for the advice.
    Basically you take a lace image and also invert the same in Photoshop.
    I used both as shown below.
    Couldn't been any simpler!:-)

LaceImg.jpg
    966 x 579 - 382K
    edited December 1969

YES. And you can actually sometimes skip the texture, or apply any texture or shader you want (such as a black or red material) and apply a lace opacity for super COOL effects :D

edited December 1969

I agree. You can play all kind of neat tricks. If I could just stop right now:-(

color.jpg
    589 x 445 - 224K
    edited December 1969

Okay, I still stand by my original review, but I want to expand it to say "Even experienced cloth makers may find this program useful, if nothing more for quick concepting of clothing ideas." Think of it this way: When quick concepting with ZBrush, the idea is to get the forms and ideas out as quick as possible, find something that works, and build from there. Dress Shop can work in a way quite similar. Taking about 5 minutes, I worked out a few ideas for a clothing set I want to do for the Genesis figure. After hitting an idea I liked, I imported the DressShop design into Daz Studio to see how it might look on the Genesis figure. Pleased with how it came out, I can start *actually* modeling the clothes to match the image in my head. I include a "concept sketch" of the clothing to show off the direction I plan on going, as well to show off how useful this little program can actually be, even for experienced modelers. :D

JammieJamJamJams.jpg
    371 x 1024 - 104K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

1 G2 play suit

1_G2_play_suit.jpg
    800 x 800 - 85K
    edited October 2013

Visioneer,

This may be a naive question: can you start with the UV maps when you start to model the actual garment (using Blender or similar)? Asking differently: can you start with the UV maps generated by DressShop (possibly using them as template)? I realize they may not constitute "cutting patterns" but they look a lot alike. As you can tell I am completely ignorant of garment construction - just asking...

UV1.jpg
    800 x 398 - 158K
    Post edited by info_b3470fa520 on
    edited December 1969

i have been using the UV maps on the new outfits to make textures no problem, especially with the most updated version.

edited December 1969

Visioneer,

This may be a naive question: can you start with the UV maps when you start to model the actual garment (using Blender or similar)? Asking differently: can you start with the UV maps generated by DressShop (possibly using them as template)? I realize they may not constitute "cutting patterns" but they look a lot alike. As you can tell I am completely ignorant of garment construction - just asking...

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking if you can create clothing based on UV maps? In theory, you can use the UV maps as "templates" for the shape, by loading a template map into the viewport of your modeling software. This will (depending on the layout) give you X,Y information, but completely ignores Z-depth, so I can't possibly recommend UV map templates in this fashion.

The traditional use of UVs is to apply them and set them up once you have completed construction of your model. There are multiple ways of constructing UV maps, the most common being an unwrap with Poly-to-poly ratio. It takes some skill and practice to get good at this, but generally provides the best base for a texture, with a minimum amount of stretching or deformation of polygons. There are other techniques to mapping, manually creating seams and unwrapping. For example, if you create seams down the sides of the clothing, create seams for where the shoulders meet the torso fabric, and then create seams running down the sleeves, you can actually make your job much easier. You apply and unwrap and flatten to the front and back torso fabric, then using a cylindrical unwrap, you can have polys more evenly dispersed over the sleeves. When correct scale is found, you will have a great start to your shirt UVs. (Depending on the complexity of the model, it may be perfect without further editing.)

The largest issue with working with UVs is that adding geometry can largely decimate them. That being the case, it makes sense to wait until you have most, if not all changes to your mesh made before you try for a detailed or difficult unwrap.

If I did not understand your question correctly, then: If you have a premade mesh with UVs already applied, you don't have to reUV it, unless you find the UVs lacking. If you make changes to the geometry of the mesh, you will be forced, more than likely, to reUV the model. The EASIEST way to quickly create UVs for a model is by creating planar UVs. I'm not saying this is a "good" method, per se, as unless the model is flat, it will result in stretched and warped textures based off the UV map.

I hope this answers your questions, if not, let me know in greater detail what you are trying to do.

edited December 1969

Thanks Visioneer. Yes, my question was if there's an easy way to have DressShop (or the next version) create cutting maps for cloth construction. There's a software called Unfold3D that takes an OBJ object and with a little manual work (deciding the seems) it can create the pattern. This standalone solution is not cheap, but easy to use:
    http://www.polygonal-design.fr/e_unfold/
    Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEMnnE6D9zk

edited December 1969

Yeah, I don't see why not, that has nothing to do with UVs, however. You would have to have the user define seams, then create a mesh unwrapping and flattening routine. UVs don't exactly work like that, but the process is very similar to UV unwrapping. I'm assuming you mean for actual, physical, real-life clothes, right? It's just a matter of coding it. That, I fear, is something you would have to talk to someone else about, however.

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    1 G2 play suit

Very nice, Mr. Bigh!
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    1 G2 play suit

Very nice, Mr. Bigh!

thank you :-)

• ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 291
    edited December 1969

As it was said well up-thread that a Mac Version would be a "Fall Project," and it is now well and truly in to Fall...

Are you looking for Mac testers, yet?

Do please let me know.

• firefly43firefly43 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Little help here.

I orginally bought Dress Shop from daz store and actually manually installed it.

The info on the actual exe file is that it is version 1.0.0.1 installed on Sept 29 at 1.69 MB Is this the most current version as I am seeing updates here for a version 1.04?

I ask because the download is smaller then the orginal file purchased.

If I need to run the update is it necessary to uninstall the orginal program and reinstall?

• HogyoHogyo Posts: 59
    edited December 1969

Hi Abalone

This souds perfect!
    I d like to join and beta this new soft!:lol:

edited December 1969

As it was said well up-thread that a Mac Version would be a "Fall Project," and it is now well and truly in to Fall...

Are you looking for Mac testers, yet?

Do please let me know.

So here we are at nearly the end of the 2013 year, and still no indication of when, or if, the Mac version is getting any attention.

Is this still planned? I would love to give your product a go on my OS of choice, and would hate to think that you'd leave a significant portion of DS users out in the cold.

Could we get an update, here? Maybe?

edited December 1969

Two weeks later, no reply?

Abalone, are you reading your threads? Can you please provide an update?

Thank you kindly.

edited December 1969

1. I did not get any notification till now (we know the daz forum notification system can be wonky) and 2. Its the holiday season- everyone's busy as heck. I'm sure Abalone's still working hard on Dress Shop tho!

Did you notice that Abalone's Faceshop just released a Mac version? :)

Cheers!

edited December 1969

1. I did not get any notification till now (we know the daz forum notification system can be wonky) and 2. Its the holiday season- everyone's busy as heck. I'm sure Abalone's still working hard on Dress Shop tho!

Did you notice that Abalone's Faceshop just released a Mac version? :)

Cheers!

No, I had not noticed Faceshop releasing a Mac version. Was it announced anywhere?

I'm honestly not trying to be brusque or rude, but we've been told that the Mac OS Dress Shop will be a "fall project," and then had no update whatsoever on its progress - only to have Dress Shop 2 for Windows announced recently in its stead.

I'm just trying to figure out what's going on, and whether or not to get my hopes up for the ability to use this very good looking tool with any sort of native-OS ability, or if I'm going to have to bite the bullet and boot into Windows to use it.

• Leo ChenLeo Chen Posts: 697
    edited January 2014

May I ask?

1. Is there "Mac version" now?

2. Is it legal to distribute or sell "the 3D model" created.

BTW, is it legal to distribute or sell "the 3D model" created by FaceShop?

Someone has said that it is illegal to sell the 3D model created by FaceGen!!!
    (Is this true?)

Post edited by Leo Chen on
    edited December 1969

May I ask?

1. Is there "Mac version" now?

2. Is it legal to distribute or sell "the 3D model" created.

BTW, is it legal to distribute or sell "the 3D model" created by FaceShop?

Someone has said that it is illegal to sell the 3D model created by FaceGen!!!
    (Is this true?)

We are working on DressShop 2.0 (free fro current users). It will be WIN only, but we are investigating a Mac version for later (as well as IOS and Android),
    It is legal to distribute models made with FaceShop (no reason why not to).
    Thanks for your support!
    Laslo

• Leo ChenLeo Chen Posts: 697
    edited December 1969

Thank you,Abalone LLC.