DressShop -- on Sale at DAZ [Commercial]

Comments

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited September 2013

Did you read my report, Abalone? I sent you a message about a strange issue I encountered.

No, I have not received it. Pls. kindly send it to my email rather than the forum. my email is info(at)abalonellc.com
    Laslo

Sure, I'm off for it, sorry for inconveniences.

EDIT:

Done!

Post edited by cecilia.robinson on
  • info_b3470fa520info_b3470fa520 Posts: 880
    edited September 2013

Here's a compilation of renderings

projectssm.jpg
    600 x 470 - 76K
    Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    edited December 1969

...considering the price for upgrading to Marvelous Designer3, you might get a surprising number of customers.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...considering the price for upgrading to Marvelous Designer3, you might get a surprising number of customers.

Thanks, but we don't compete on price alone! It is the ease-of-use......the key to let people design who would not have a chance to spend months to learn a pattern-based program.
    Laslo

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

Probably should not have ignored this until now. It looks very interesting.

Am I right that the only reason to use a picture as a template is to have a visual guide of whatever it is you're trying to reproduce/create? So if you know what you want, but don't have a picture of it that you can easily get onto the computer, can you just start without a "template"?

I have a ton of questions as to how far you can push it, but I'll read the PDF first. :)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    edited December 1969

...I watched some of the initial work on this project and while I have a handle on MD2, improved ease of use is always welcome in the workflow. My modelling skills are pretty limited and i have trouble grasping the language and concepts of a traditional modelling app.

I take it this works with a quad mesh instead of tris (which MD uses) so applying Sub_D and smoothing wouldn't be an issue.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

I wish this had worked properly for me when I was beta testing it! It is NOT a modeling program, You can only design using the included clothing shapes or ones you have made and imported into the program.

edited September 2013

wilmap said:
    I wish this had worked properly for me when I was beta testing it! It is NOT a modeling program, You can only design using the included clothing shapes or ones you have made and imported into the program.

Wendy,

Yes it is a modeling program as you can SHAPE and CUT a base garment to MODEL a new one.
    No , it is NOT modeling from scratch, you use base models (mesh) to make it easier
    Yes , you did break your beta agreement by making public comment on beta software
    Laslo

Post edited by info_b3470fa520 on
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Sorry. Didn't realise anything I wrote was breaking any agreement! Doesn't give away any secrets!

edited September 2013

Just to clarify: DressShop is a dress and garment modeling software.
    Aspiring Designers! Why spend days on hard-to-learn and use software? DressShop is an easy-to-use product that allows the creation of 3D dress design in minutes. Files are saved as OBJ and can be rigged and used with other applications such as DAZ Studio or Poser.

YouTube links:
    DressShop QuickStart video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjepOoFPROs

DressShop Advanced Modeling:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wShRnaBuKVE

projectssm.jpg
    600 x 470 - 76K
    Post edited by info_b3470fa520 on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Just to clarify: DressShop is a dress and garment modeling software.
    Aspiring Designers! Why to spend days on hard-to-learn and use software? DressShop is an easy-to-use product that allows the creation of 3D dress design in minutes. Files are saved as OBJ and can be rigged and used with other applications such as DAZ Studio or Poser.

YouTube links:
    DressShop QuickStart video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjepOoFPROs

DressShop Advanced Modeling:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wShRnaBuKVE

Hope we get it next week ! :-)

edited December 1969

Probably should not have ignored this until now. It looks very interesting.

Am I right that the only reason to use a picture as a template is to have a visual guide of whatever it is you're trying to reproduce/create? So if you know what you want, but don't have a picture of it that you can easily get onto the computer, can you just start without a "template"?

I have a ton of questions as to how far you can push it, but I'll read the PDF first. :)

You are right - the template is only to give your a visual reference. It is the same as you see designers sketch on Project Runway or similar.
    The PDF manual lives here: http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-48396527764316/DressShop.pdf
    Laslo

man10.jpg
    800 x 450 - 65K
    edited December 1969

so is it shipping this week ?
    :-)

edited September 2013

Bump-map and transparency example below

bump1.jpg
    494 x 461 - 54K
    Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited December 1969

SQUEE! its out and in the store!

http://www.daz3d.com/dressshop

• kurthurtkurthurt Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

SQUEE! its out and in the store!

http://www.daz3d.com/dressshop

I bought it and download / installed it via DIM, but DIM messed something up and I can't find the executable mentioned in the manual. I'll try again after I've had some sleep.

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited September 2013

Hi there,

I haven't been following this product, I simply don't visit the forums as often as I'd like, so I am not quite as "SQUEEEEE" as some people, but if I HAD followed the product I would have been excited.

The concept is fabulous (tempted to add "Daaaaarling" to the end of that but I'll refrain!)

I have downloaded the product, installed it and am playing with it now. Yes, even while I'm typing. Multitasking at its finest.

I have looked for about five minutes and found problems that I personally don't like. One might be a bug, the others are just problems.

1) DELETED (it seems it was me that was mistaken!)

2) I don't like that I can't use the mouse to move the 3D view. That's a pretty basic thing and it's very slow using the cursor keys. Will mouse integration be added in a very-soon-to-be-released update?

3) There seems to be nothing telling me the orientation of the 3D model. Am I looking STRAIGHT at the front? Or is it a teensy bit rotated? That can make a very big difference when designing anything at all, and I'm getting wary of this product's usefulness now.

4) I can't seem to be able to pan the camera left and right. I found out how to pan it up and down, but how do I pan left and right?

5) The Manual does not include hotkeys. For example I can't find anything that tells me I can use spacebar to go from solid to mesh views. Would have been very handy (another basic thing) to have a hotkey list.

Right, that's the whining out of the way. On the surface this looks like an incredibly useful tool and if those particular issues were solved I'd think it was as sexy as some of the clothing we can create with it.

Congratulations on your foresight and recognising the market niche for a program like this.
    Barry.

Post edited by BlumBlumShub on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

1) The project folder did not create itself where I told it to. I told it I wanted it in "My Documents\DressShop\Layered Dress" and it set the folder instead to "C:\DressShop\Layered Dress". This isn't a massive problem, I can work around it, still happy.

Does that mean it insists on using the C: drive?
    :bug:

• SonofbelmontSonofbelmont Posts: 147
    edited September 2013

I really like the simplicity of this but I wouldn't mind seeing what the wireframes of clothing made with it look like before I buy it.
    Would someone be able to post a few images?

Post edited by Sonofbelmont on
    edited September 2013

Kerya said:
    1) The project folder did not create itself where I told it to. I told it I wanted it in "My Documents\DressShop\Layered Dress" and it set the folder instead to "C:\DressShop\Layered Dress". This isn't a massive problem, I can work around it, still happy.

Let me check that out now...
    Oooooh I must have made a booboo, I will edit my original post.

Just to let you know, project folders WORK FINE, I apologise for confusing people. It was a Barry error, not a DressShop error!
    And no, it doesn't insist on the C drive, I set one up on my E drive to test it for you.

The rest of my comments still stand though.
    Barry.

edited December 1969

fun time one

1_dress.jpg
    1029 x 694 - 61K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:

Let me check that out now...
    Oooooh I must have made a booboo, I will edit my original post.

Just to let you know, project folders WORK FINE, I apologise for confusing people. It was a Barry error, not a DressShop error!
    And no, it doesn't insist on the C drive, I set one up on my E drive to test it for you.

The rest of my comments still stand though.
    Barry.

Thanks for testing that for me! :)

edited December 1969

fun time two

1_sun_kiss.jpg
    1029 x 694 - 320K
    edited December 1969

Thanks for your comments. We will include a list of hotkeys in the manual. Also, there are two minor fixes that we will add in the next two days. We especially appreciate the posted artwork.
    KEEP IT COMING!!!!
    Laslo

• kurthurtkurthurt Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for your comments. We will include a list of hotkeys in the manual. Also, there are two minor fixes that we will add in the next two days. We especially appreciate the posted artwork.
    KEEP IT COMING!!!!
    Laslo

good to hear. Can morphs be added with this product?

edited December 1969

Seems they can as long as you keep it in the same family (for example Genesis clothes can take M5, V5 and various morphs herein).
    Laslo

• RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850
    edited December 1969

The videos shows always the usage on Genesis and the use of the transfer utilty.

Does this product work also on other figures like Cookie or Chip for examples?

edited December 1969

Try it! We did not have a chance to try them all. There's an import OBJ function, so theoretically you can alter any garment for any figure with the same mesh/rigging.

edited September 2013

The hotkey inclusion into the manual will be appreciated, but what about the other issues?

People are asking questions here that simply aren't being answered!

I appreciate a basic, easy to use piece of software, that's great, but I'm still looking for something that justifies even the $25 I paid for it, let alone the $50 original price.

Please, show me something amazing that was done using this and the templates included.

edited December 1969

The videos shows always the usage on Genesis and the use of the transfer utilty.

Does this product work also on other figures like Cookie or Chip for examples?

Hiya Spanky.

I'm going to take this on and give you the best answer I can, since the creator's answer is basically "Buy it and try it!"

You could import Cookie and a dress (the video shows importing Genesis and a dress), then cut and shape that dress to get what you want. But you would only be able to distribute the final product if it's allowed for that particular dress because the templates included here aren't for Cookie. You could probably shrink them to fit Cookie from within DS and re-export them though. I don't know.

I would say think carefully about paying $25 or higher for this though. Not saying don't do it, but please think carefully.