Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

fun time 3

1_DressShop_new_top.jpg
    1029 x 694 - 84K
  • ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

When you get a version that does cloth simulation let me know, I'd definitely buy it then.

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

I think I've given this a fair shot and it's a pretty easy decision for a refund.

• info_b3470fa520info_b3470fa520 Posts: 880
    edited September 2013

bigh said:
    fun time 3

Awesome! Pls. KEEP IT COMING!
    1_DressShop_new_top.jpg
    1029 x 694 - 84K
    Post edited by info_b3470fa520 on
    edited December 1969

fun time 4

1_DressShop_man.jpg
    1029 x 694 - 78K
    edited September 2013

Bigh, if someone would manufacture your design I bet people would actually buy it. (Some people - see photo). Funny!

t-shirt-halter-men.jpg
    600 x 600 - 39K
  • OnieOnie Posts: 20
    edited September 2013

hi,
    why does the panel looks like in the picture below?After i cut the cloth
    thanks

funny.png
    1508 x 959 - 106K
    Post edited by Onie on
    edited December 1969

bazaargig said:
    hi,
    thanks

I don't know, and if you press the spacebar to see your actual mesh you will notice that suddenly the mesh doesn't make as much sense as it used to.

Really, I think Daz QA were on vacation when this was released.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited December 1969

bazaargig, as a short term solution, when that happens, try saving it, and starting over with the saved file? Or try something like a quick shape (you can undo it) and see if that resets the graphics. I know Abalone LLC is working on a couple fixes for stuff as he posted earlier on. I'm sure he's watching the thread and if there's a problem he'll tackle it headfirst. :)

I still think you're giving this program the short shift here Blum, Visioneer! I didn't get that vibe at ALL from the documentation- more like candid instruction rather than dry, boring documentation! Very easy to follow.

Bigh- thanks for your awesome creations. :) Glad to see someone having fun with the options in this handy tool!

edited September 2013

hi,
    How do i fix the thigh(as picture)? how do i make the cloth as dress to genesis(so it will act as a dress)? transfer utility did not ask what it is, which usually it says, dress, pants, skirt etc.
    Great software for me for i am new.
    thanks

c.png
    1010 x 869 - 159K
    Post edited by Onie on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

Can we see some creations that don't look like second skin outfits, and how does it do folds, drapes and creases.

edited September 2013

First of all... let me remind that Dress Shop does NOT RIG. You use Daz Studio to autofit and rig. That means rigging is just as good as your autofit. Which means if its the default autofit, it's...well...craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap. Autofit was always horrible at rigging and they never bothered to fix it. Thankfully, SickleYield filled the gap and made autofit usable by making better rigging templates-

I use SickleYield's autofit templates: http://www.daz3d.com/sickle-rigging-and-morphing-system
    for genesis, and
    http://www.daz3d.com/sickle-dress-rig-genesis-2-female
    for genesis 2 dresses.

If you use those you won't get ugly deformations when you pose a figure in a dress. Autofit will by default mangle them.

This is a bigger image of a maid outfit for genesis.

I had actually shaped wavy ruffles but when I added a bunch of smoothing to fit the apron nicely over the boobs I smoothed out the ruffles- oops. So if you model details don't over smooth :P but that goes for smoothing anything too much- don't smooth more than 2-4 levels. :)

Also for fine details, i prefer to add that in DS. Because I can shape my character, and then use warp tool (free ds plugin) to custom fit/warp the dress to suit the character- such as, tight wrinkles for a suit on Freak, or some nice folds.

Btw, that entire maid outfit-dress, apron, collar, and button, was all in Dress Shop.

MaidDress.jpg
    880 x 970 - 670K
    Post edited by DisparateDreamer on
    edited December 1969

thank you

love the maid outfit-dress - very cute

why are you using auto fit - if I may ask ?

I use transfer utility .

edited September 2013

Thanks Belovedalia, i tried but it shows the same in the panel and it is difficult to see which part is selected. I hope they will fix this. There is poke through but it is alright with apply smooth, just some unwanted sort of lines and holes with no material applied. Below i tried on the top with material presets which i bought from other product. Thanks

e.png
    1010 x 869 - 338K
    Post edited by Onie on
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    thank you

love the maid outfit-dress - very cute

why are you using auto fit - if I may ask ?

I use transfer utility .

transfer utility, as i understand it, IS autofit, just with more options. I AM using transfer utility, but that still uses autofit templates- including SickleYield's templates. :)

edited September 2013

bazaargig, that is very odd. Make sure you send a message to Abalone LLC for that. That shouldn't happen.

there's more than one way to model. Cut and pull and shape are also forms of modelling. It may not be has high tech as other things, but its sure fast and easy to use. Sure DressShop is editing a mesh. But half of modelling IS shaping the mesh, not just pulling it into existence. To all the cool people who have used the same base to start with making outfits, you're basically saying they didn't model anything and that all their shaping and extra changes and building collars for it and adding waves and shape and detail isn't modelling. That's a huge disservice. It's a bit insulting, actually. Fine, but modeling goes beyond that. Sure, Dress Shop is a bit more limited. But it excels at what it does- allows a person to load a base dress/pants/jacket, or any other resource meshes they find (and there's plenty out there) and cut and paste and shape with very fast results. VERY fast and very little learning curve, AND very very low price point.

Ragerator, i obviously have, as I suggested using it myself. However it cannot- CANNOT- change a hem line. It cannot fix everything. Nor is photoshop a fix for everything. I want to make a simple ragged hem, and apply any shader to it. Can't, if it has a transparency map, because the transparency map will also tile. As much as I love ragerator, it cannot erase entire chunks of a model.

Btw, I TRIED some of those other modellers and their tutorials. And DressShop is easier. Just is!

doesn't make sense to compare. Why are there so many different versions of modellers and editors?

Because they suit different people and dfferent methods and different price points.

edited September 2013

I mean, i honestly can't get over how simple it is with Dress Shop. I don't really need a learning curve.

It was learn, make, use in DS- within minutes. I haven't had any other program work with that level of simplicity or ease. You don't need to be a top modeler with a lot of know-how to use Dress Shop.

edited September 2013

hi,
    i tried to import mannequin, but i dont have the 'import' button as it says in the accessories.
    How do i do this? Help please...
    thanks

Post edited by Onie on
  • backgroundbackground Posts: 359
    edited December 1969

I bought this and have played with it for a while. Here are my thoughts on it:-

1/ The cutting and shaping functions work well, and the curved cut produces good smooth curves. The mirror function is very handy for getting a symetrical garment.

2/ The base models topology is pretty good before cutting, with mostly quads. The resolution is a bit high is you intend to use subdivision later.

3/ The UV mapping of some of the supplied base garments, such as the dress are not good, so applying a patterend texture is not going to give the expected result. Several of the models seem to by cylindrically mapped, which is not good for dresses, for example.

4/ item 3 above becomes somewhat irrelevant, since the cutting process produces small trianglular polygons, which are all mapped to the 0.0 UV coordinate, so the cut edges texture does not follow the main garment. So even if the supplied base garment was well mapped, the cut edge texture would be messed up.

5/ You can load your own base garment to cut up, which is very handy, but Dress shop is sensitive about some aspects of .obj file formet. I found that models I had exported from Roadkill ( for UVmapping ) crashed Dress shop when I tried to load them. The same model after loading into UVmapper, and immediately exported from Uvmapper as an .obj, then loaded fine into dress shop without problem.

6/ Taking a model which has been cut up in Dress shop, into Zbrush, and running Zremesher, produces a good topology. This can then be UVmapped to produce a good quality garment to be rigged in Poser or DS. It is debatable if you would want to start in Dress shop if you have access to Zbrush level tools though.

edited December 1969

bazaargig said:
    hi,
    i tried to import mannequin, but i dont have the 'import' button as it says in the accessories.
    How do i do this? Help please...
    thanks

Please read the manual. Simply double-click on an empty box in accessories, which opens the import dialog.
    Laslo

edited December 1969

Folks,
    there was a bug in the cut/delete function. Bug is fixed, pls download a free upgrade to DressShop 1.03. (Your key works with upgrade)
    Go to abalonellc.com and under support download DressShop 1.03. It also contains some added features:
    1. Accessory items when added now show in Library list, can be showing/hidden
    2. Added Accessory library (Ctrl+A) item to Menu

Laslo

edited December 1969

bazaargig said:
    hi,
    thanks

There was a bug. When you cut, you need to save before delete, otherwise you get this look.
    Solution: either save when cutting or download free upgrade to DressShop 1.03 at
    http://abalonellc.com/free-upgrade-for-existing-pro-users.html

Thanks for catching the issue.
    Laslo

edited December 1969

Laslo that update link doesn't seem to work yet, it says "Domain Header not specified" I tried to click on the text and the picture, both say "Domain Header not specified
    " and no download

Nice to see you here :D

edited December 1969

Sorry, I was still working on it. Now it is up.
    http://abalonellc.com/free-upgrade-for-existing-pro-users.html
    Thanks for catching. It is still early morning in California and I haven't had my first coffee yet:-)

edited December 1969

haha only first? I don't start fully functioning until the 3rd cup ;) Even my toddler will grab a coffee cup and give it to me when I go into the kitchen to make his breakfast. Hah!

edited December 1969

haha only first? I don't start fully functioning until the 3rd cup ;) Even my toddler will grab a coffee cup and give it to me when I go into the kitchen to make his breakfast. Hah!

laughing

edited September 2013

We added a new item to the "Tips and Tricks" in the User Manual: How to import parts from existing other garments.
    This is a step-by-step description of importing OBJ file into the "Accessories" library and making it fit with the new garments.
    NOTE: we would really like to include some of YOUR tips and tricks into the User Manual.
    Please send them to info/at/abalonellc.com
    Thanks in advance!
    Laslo

collar.jpg
    808 x 700 - 161K
  • swordvisionsswordvisions Posts: 124
    edited September 2013

I think we are arguing Apples and Oranges here. Personally, I use blender and carrara and I will not be buying Dress Shop because I don't see ever using it. However, for someone who has limited time and money and wants to create quick garment then it might be a good purchase.

Not everyone wants to spend the time and effort to learn a modeling program like blender. (By the way I Love Blender Cookie). Most are happy with using content and enjoy setting up the scene and setting the lights, but occasionally they may have a particular vision in mind and cannot find the right dress,

To them this is the might be a great purchase especially at the intro price. The Daz community includes people at all levels and interest.

I agree that calling it a modeler is a bit of a stretch but Daz has a 30 day no question refund policy. Buy it, try it and if it is useful then keep it otherwise return it

Post edited by swordvisions on
    edited December 1969

What I'm seeing here is quite disturbing.

Some people are clearly in approval of the software, and Laslo is replying to them quite happily.

Others are clearly against the software, offering quite valid questions or reasons they don't like it, and Laslo is completely ignoring them apart from Wilmap.

This is going to turn into one of those nasty threads very soon unless Laslo takes control and addresses peoples' queries and worries. Or worse, the mods will come in with riot gear and shut the thread down, which will seriously affect Laslo's credibility.

I see you released an update for the program, which is nice to see, but it's not available from Daz, why is that please? I'm not saying it's full of malicious code or anything, but I do worry when I see Daz support a program and then the PA release an update which appears to not go through "proper channels".

Laslo, you really need to start responding to people here, we are your customers.
    Barry.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited December 1969

This is a commercial thread on a new product. As such it is not a suitable thread for arguing over what is or isn't a reasonable basis for a review, or over nomenclature. therefore some posts are being split to a new thread and some rather heated posts are being removed