Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 11

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,177
    edited February 2019
    Novica said:
    barbult said:

I want to mention esha's new Tassel Jewelry Mega Pack for Genesis 8 Female(s). This is not just another string and bead jewelry product. This is really unique (to me anyway!). It 

The image is in my gallery, where all the products used are listed.

That looks amazing. Do you mind sharing what lighting you used?  

Gah! I forgot to mention it in the Gallery list of products used. I fixed that now. It is LY Leonine Pro HDR Lighting. When things don't show up in the Scene pane, I forget to list them. I was proud I remembered to list the pose pack! I forgot the lights.

Edited to add: The pink and green background is a backdrop image - just a blurred photo. It didn't come from the lighting HDRI.

Post edited by barbult on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Great render Barbult.  You character reminds me a bit of M from the James Bond series/movies (except for the hair and outfit, not her style, lol).

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Want to mention Elsa because of the eyebrow options. You can choose painted, mesh, or painted AND mesh. Also, the vendor did a great job of listing the products used, take a look at all those. I saw some hair(s) which I own, but didn't remember. The vendor's lighting made me take a second look at them. 

• NathNath Posts: 2,719
    Novica said:

Want to mention Elsa because of the eyebrow options. You can choose painted, mesh, or painted AND mesh. Also, the vendor did a great job of listing the products used, take a look at all those. I saw some hair(s) which I own, but didn't remember. The vendor's lighting made me take a second look at them. 

Elsa is quite nice, but when you set translucency to 20%, the arms and legs stay at 40%, so you have to adjust them manually. I'll probably put in a ticket about that today or tomorrow once I've checked for other errors.

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited February 2019

Notes on converting Paradise Bird Hair (currently free) to Iray and modern figures:

-this is a rigged figure found under the Poser library (Content/Runtime/Library/Character/Paradise Bird Hair). The headdress is a single parented prop found under Content/Runtime/Library/Prop/Paradise Bird Hair. Materials for both are found under Content/Runtime/Library/Pose/Paradise Bird. There are a number of posing morphs, but as is typical for rigged hairstyles of this vintage, they are located on the neck bone.

-Long hairstyles like this do not autofit very well and will distort around the shoulder area. Unless you are planning on correcting the rigging post-autofit, I recommend that you load the hair separately from G3F/G8F, and then parent it to the human figure's head. You may want to use y-translate and z-translate in fitting it. Select the human figure and then load the headdress. It will load already parented to the head, and you can y-translate it to sit properly on top of the hair (I parented the headdress to the head bone of the hair, since the headdress's position should be based on the hair, but whether you want to do that is up to you). A smoothing modifier on the hair can be useful for eliminating pokethrough.

-The hair and headdress load without textures, so you will want to apply one of the original materials from the relevant poser directory (see above) to each one, and then apply an iray hair shader to the hair. I tested Ultra Hair Shader 2 (the second of Sloshwerk's three main hair shader products), OOT hair shaders (from Rendo) and Chevybabe's Backlight Shaders. The Backlight Shaders were the most successful at making the hair look realistic, although it is still rather on the stylized side and more suitable for fantasy characters than women in modern settings. In my experience, some hair shaders work better on certain types of hairstyles than others, so this should not be taken as a general endorsement of the Backlight Shaders over the other options.

-The front bangs/strands will look like they are floating around, not attached to anything, unless you select the scalp and raise cut-out opacity beyond 1.0 (I used 5.0 arbitrarily, and it worked, and I think 2.0 would not be enough, but I don't know what values in the 3-4 range would do). With the cut-out opacity cranked up beyond 1.0, it will join with the front bangs and look more convincing. Choose a default hair color for the hair that works with the majority of skins in your runtime.

-the headdress materials didn't seem to need anything done to it beyond the basic convert-to-Iray shader, but you are welcome to tweak the jewelry bits with the jewel/colored glass shaders and metal shaders of your choice.

-While you are messing with surfaces is a good time to set both hair and headdress to static dforce surfaces, and then go to the surface tab and set them both as "off" for simulation purposes. This means that they will be invisible to any dforce simulation you run on your character's clothes.

-select human figure again, save as a wearable in whatever folder you have set up for older hairstyles on newer figures, and when prompted, uncheck whatever clothes your character is wearing, so that the only things being saved are the hair and headdress.

Post edited by Odaa on
    edited February 2019

@odaa   Thanks for the tips!!! smiley  Do you happen to have a render of it?

Why, when we post, do we wait for facebook.com to load? What is Daz doing? I haven't given permission for my posts to interact with Facebook in any manner, so what's going on?

Post edited by Novica on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Novica said:

Why, when we post, do we wait for facebook.com to load? What is Daz doing? I haven't given permission for my posts to interact with Facebook in any manner, so what's going on?

My guess would be advertising related. Something that lets FB know that you've been on the Daz site, so FB can serve Daz ads to you when you visit.

IMO, such tactics are a waste of time for Daz, (if they are doing that.).

I'm not going to spend more money here because I see a Daz ad on another website, be it Facebook or a site with Google Ads. Nor will I spend less here if I don't see those ads on other sites. I am well and truly caught. Addicted might be a better way to put it. lol Seems to me, Daz should be targeting people who aren't spending most of their online time here. And if they ditch the snippets of code for FB and Google, and God only knows who else, the regular customers/forumites will have a better experience when on this site.

• I agree I hate all the pop up ads

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Novica said:

but how many people who have already posted on the thread are posting links to facebook in their signatures?

Danior is undoubtedly the most handsome man in my runtime, lol  Darwinsmishap has done it again.

I totally agree. Very nice images, @Worlds_Edge!

Here is one of two images I did of Danior recently, (The other is essentially the same, but a full body shot, not yet published.)

Danior

Danior, by L'Adair

The only thing I did to the material settings to get the pale skin was set Translucency Weight really low. This is at 0.10!

Chohole said:
    Novica said:

but how many people who have already posted on the thread are posting links to facebook in their signatures?

And how many don't?

Isn't that what ad blockers are for?

barbult said:

Well, yes, that too...

• barbult said:

Yeah but they manage to find ways around them

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145
    L'Adair said:

Danior is undoubtedly the most handsome man in my runtime, lol  Darwinsmishap has done it again.

Here is one of two images I did of Danior recently, (The other is essentially the same, but a full body shot, not yet published.)

Danior

Danior, by L'Adair

The only thing I did to the material settings to get the pale skin was set Translucency Weight really low. This is at 0.10!

That looks great. I’ll have to keep the skin setting in mind. Love the subtle expression. His right eye position might be a tad off, but I’m on mobile so it could be the small screen. 

L'Adair said:

Danior

Danior, by L'Adair

That looks great. I’ll have to keep the skin setting in mind. Love the subtle expression. His right eye position might be a tad off, but I’m on mobile so it could be the small screen. 

Thank you, @Worlds_Edge.

I used RSA's Look At Me to have him look at the camera. It might be the reflections, though. I've never understood why reflections in the eyes are different when rendering with Iray.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    L'Adair said:
    L'Adair said:

Danior

Thank you, @Worlds_Edge.

I used RSA's Look At Me to have him look at the camera. It might be the reflections, though. I've never understood why reflections in the eyes are different when rendering with Iray.

I agree with Worlds_Edge, his right eye seems too far into the corner compared to the left one. Makes him look as if he has a squint in that eye.

edited February 2019

Don't know when Fast Grab changed, but I picked up the Diva Room which hasn't been this low in price since last February. Also grabbed the poses.  These two make up the bundle so you'd just have to see what you already have. The bundle is not on sale and the lowest it has gone is 15.98   These two come to exactly $13.00

Post edited by Novica on
  • gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948
    L'Adair said:

Danior, by L'Adair

Nice!  The promo images for him didn't entice me at all, but your image totally changed my perspective!

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited February 2019
    Novica said:

Just a quickie save last draw. Character is Mai for G3F, outfit is Fae Realms for V4, texture by Chohole, bump maps borrowed from a Moyra texture. I apologize for the transparency, I had draw dome on and thought the background would save. 

ETA: every time I try to embed it, comes out looking squished. Please, just click on the thumbnail to see the big version.

Mai_ParadiseBird.png
    1150 x 647 - 3M
    Post edited by Odaa on
    gitika1 said:
    L'Adair said:
    Danior, by L'Adair

Nice!  The promo images for him didn't entice me at all, but your image totally changed my perspective!

I think it helps to know that the inspiration for the character is Brad Pitt. Darwin asked us who we'd most like to see him create and he ended up with a list he is now using the Randomizer on to choose. Brad was first, and became Danior. Matthew McConaughey was the next chosen, and Darwin is working on him now, a character he named Kaiden.

Anyway, I made Danior lighter to look more like Brad Pitt, but as you can see, I really fell short of the goal.
    laugh

Fishtales said:
    L'Adair said:
    Thank you, @Worlds_Edge.

I agree with Worlds_Edge, his right eye seems too far into the corner compared to the left one. Makes him look as if he has a squint in that eye.

It might be because the camera is close to the subject. I'll try moving the camera back and using the camera controls in Parameters to frame him. I'll report back what I find.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I see Brad Pitt in him in almost every image.  Part of that is because I know that's who the inspiration was.  He's not exactly Brad Pitt, but there is a very definite family resemeblence which I like more that I think I would like an exact replica.

edited February 2019

@Worlds_Edge and
    @Fishtales

I've done some testing and I've come to the conclusion the script is using something like the code used for "Point At" in parameters for the eyes. Dialing in pose controls to move the eyes first doesn't affect the results of using Look At Me's Look At Camera script. In the script dialog, I have both the Eye Side-Side and Eye Up-Down sliders set to 100%, the others set to 0% and the option to Adjust Eyelids unchecked. With this image, the option to Adjust Eyes Independently doesn't seem to make a difference. With these settings, only the eyes are affected.

The test camera is pulled straight back from the subject without any other changes to the Parameters->Camera settings. The dimension in Render Settings are quite high, so spot renders can still be large enough to see any changes.

In the scene tab, I've selected each eye and zeroed out the rotation settings. I then set "Point At" to the test camera and spot rendered. After the test render completed, (at 350 samples,) I zeroed out the rotation settings again. Then I used the script Look At Camera and did another spot render.

The eyes in both test renders are pointing in the same direction. Furthermore, they are also pointing in the same direction as the camera used to render the Danior image posted earlier, even though it is much closer to the subject.

I then adjusted the eyes using the Eyes Crossed pose control, first at -8% and then -12%. These helped quite a bit, and the character still looks like he's looking into the camera. I tried applying Eyes Crossed first, and then the script, but as mentioned earlier, the resulting rotation values negated the pose.

My recommendation? Use the script first, and then if needed, apply a bit of Eyes Crossed in the negative.

If anyone is interested, I can post comparison images of his eyes from this test.

Post edited by L'Adair on

Perhaps there is a slight error in the rigging of the eyes in this character.

edited February 2019

Be sure and check to see if you have additional banners (in your site mail aka My Account) or a new banner at the top. I had the gift card one, now I have a Daz Originals.

Test BOTH offers in the Daz Originals one to see which works best (I got a $10 off, OR a 50%) 

Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

Be sure and check to see if you have additional banners (in your site mail aka My Account) or a new banner at the top. I had the gift card one, now I have a Daz Originals.

Test BOTH offers in the Daz Originals one to see which works best (I got a $10 off, OR a 50%) 

Mine doesn't say "OR". Are you sure they can't both be used on different orders? (I haven't tried.)

• barbult said:
    Novica said:

Mine doesn't say "OR". Are you sure they can't both be used on different orders? (I haven't tried.)

They both work in seperate orders. You can get the most dollars off by using the $10 on an order of DO's that totals $10.00; wheras you save moer on items over $20 by using the 50% off one

Hmmm, I hate it when I start thinking. I am still using Studio 4.10 and as always, I want to keep a copy of it before I switch to the 4.11 (beta) sometime in the future. When I type in the studio in Product Library, I get this page and is it the 4.10? It says it's compatible but does that mean it is IT? 

Not sure I want to switch to 4.11 as I am reading how the Nvidia cards aren't playing well with it and it requires updating drivers, etc. What are your experiences? My 4.10 hasn't crashed in awhile, although I haven't been doing much rendering.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808

You can keep 4.10 and run the 4.11 beta on the same computer (I'm doing that). After 4.11 becomes the general release is when the conflict between the two becomes an issue. I've only used 4.11 for some dForce work and it works fine with my (now old) Nvidia card.

edited February 2019

I've been using 4.11. Beta since it came out, updating each time there is a new Beta release. It works fine with my GTX 980 Ti. I am very happy with it.

Edit: As Rich says, it runs fine on the same computer with 4.10.0.123, the last 4.10 release. I can run either 4.10 or 4.11, whichever I choose at the time.

Post edited by barbult on
This discussion has been closed.