Experimenting with dForce on older hair

Comments

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,829
    edited May 2018

sorry, this is too much.I don't get this . It just doesn't work for me. I cannot set an area to exclude from dynamics. I have Pretty3d's School Hair and I'd like to have the tails and the bangs dynamic. when I try, to select the Tail tips as dynamic the whole tail falls of during simulation. ShouldN't stay the unselected part in its position? What do I have to do? Again please in a simple english , step by step as you're talking to a 5 year old dumbo, who never used DS before. ;-) thank you.

Post edited by Masterstroke on
  • Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687

Has anyone tried dForce with Kozaburo's hair?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,473

sorry, this is too much.I don't get this . It just doesn't work for me. I cannot set an area to exclude from dynamics. I have Pretty3d's School Hair and I'd like to have the tails and the bangs dynamic. when I try, to select the Tail tips as dynamic the whole tail falls of during simulation. ShouldN't stay the unselected part in its position? What do I have to do? Again please in a simple english , step by step as you're talking to a 5 year old dumbo, who never used DS before. ;-) thank you.

You need a weight map assigned to the property (in this case Dynamic Strength) that you wish to limit, then you will the whole map with zero weight (select all and fill selected, value 0), then you select the bits you do want dynamic and will with a value of 1.

• Ki-JenKi-Jen Posts: 64

I tried Long Hair Evolution. Several strands have fallen off after pinning the top of the hair with a weight map. Looks like that's a lot of work.But at least no explosion.

WeightMap.png
    405 x 600 - 166K
    KozLongEvo.png
    400 x 600 - 259K
  • maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

Two questions:

1. Would it be possible to save these weightmaps and make them available for other users?
    2. When going through the hair in my runtime, about all of them had quite a few different surfaces. And when trying to apply the weightmap brush to some of them, I wasn't really able to find a way to do it, with so many other parts being in the way. Turning those parts "invisible" using the opacity value didn't help, as in the weightmapped view those "invisble" parts still are visible. Is there any way to only show the one surface that I want to work upon?

• RhaleRhale Posts: 77

I tried with Alice hair. Some of the parts aren't welded, so just fall out of frame (or they can be made invisible). Adding a weight map is a must. May have to morph the hair/ add deformers to move it away from the figure's face too. For the Alice, the hair texture map runs left-right rather than up-down, so after updating the shader to Iray and applying one of the modern hair shaders over the top of the original shader, I went into LIE to rotate the gloss maps etc. In the attached very rough-and-quick render below, it looks like I missed one. The white line on her neck is I think due to some geometry hidden by the default transparency map - this was just a quick test so I didn't fix it.

So yes it can work, but it needs a lot doing. Still, it was cool to get out one of the old Koz hairs yes

Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 20.43.42.png
    425 x 650 - 362K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,473

Two questions:

1. Would it be possible to save these weightmaps and make them available for other users?

A wearables preset should work for items that already exist as assets.

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    Ki-Jen said:

I tried Long Hair Evolution. Several strands have fallen off after pinning the top of the hair with a weight map. Looks like that's a lot of work.But at least no explosion.

I've found that when strands fall off the hair, cancel the sim but do not clear it. While the strands are still outside the hair, open the weight map and ALT-paint the ends. Then clear it, that resets the  hair to original shape, with those loose bits back where they belong. But now, thanks to that tweak to their weight map, for the next sim those ends will be locked in the correct place. 

Rhale_2 said:

I tried with Alice hair. Some of the parts aren't welded, so just fall out of frame (or they can be made invisible). Adding a weight map is a must. May have to morph the hair/ add deformers to move it away from the figure's face too. For the Alice, the hair texture map runs left-right rather than up-down, so after updating the shader to Iray and applying one of the modern hair shaders over the top of the original shader, I went into LIE to rotate the gloss maps etc. In the attached very rough-and-quick render below, it looks like I missed one. The white line on her neck is I think due to some geometry hidden by the default transparency map - this was just a quick test so I didn't fix it.

So yes it can work, but it needs a lot doing. Still, it was cool to get out one of the old Koz hairs yes

I agree, it's not a one-click solution by any stretch. And it probably isn't particularly practical for animations in most cases. However as I've played with it, I do find that a little bit of simulation is often enought to get the hair to sit properly against the body rather than floating slightly above it (especially the back). Some hairs are unusable with this technique, some (lots by Outoftouch, for exmaple) work exceptionally well with it. Another tool in the toolbox, for the right situation.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,614
    Ki-Jen said:

I've found that when strands fall off the hair, cancel the sim but do not clear it. While the strands are still outside the hair, open the weight map and ALT-paint the ends. Then clear it, that resets the  hair to original shape, with those loose bits back where they belong. But now, thanks to that tweak to their weight map, for the next sim those ends will be locked in the correct place. 

Nice, that is a good tip.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited May 2018

Never mind. I need coffee.... 

Post edited by 3Diva on

grinch2901 said:

That's brilliant! Thank you! :)

Oops, double post.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

I'm going to start playing with this soon; so thank you for sharing this information. I love how some of these new technologies in Studio are breathing life into the forgotten corners of my content library!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,274
    Ki-Jen said:

I haven't tried to simulate hair with dForce yet, but this sounds like a brilliant idea! Thanks.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    Ki-Jen said:

It's worth noting that a lot of hairs aren't joined at the top, but around the ears area.

edited May 2018

grinch2901 said:

Ki-Jen said:

That's brilliant! Thank you! :)

Yes, a great idea, thank you. Here another try with Long Hair Evolution. At least simple poses seem to work.

Aiko 3 with Kozaburo Long Hair Evolution

A3LongHairEvo.png
    500 x 600 - 489K
    Post edited by Ki-Jen on
    edited May 2018

One last try with Long Hair Evolution, this time with a lying pose. Not perfect, especially on her left. But not bad for a hair from the Victoria 3 / Aiko 3 generation.

Long Hair Evolution with dForce, part 3

LongHairEvo3.png
    600 x 400 - 449K
    Post edited by Ki-Jen on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,649
    edited May 2018
    nicstt said:
    Ki-Jen said:

It's worth noting that a lot of hairs aren't joined at the top, but around the ears area.

...that's also why with older hair content poses and movements are often linked to the Neck instead of Head.  It's also why since G3, older hairs are more difficult to work with even when manually parenting as there are now an upper and lower neck bone instead of a single one.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Utterly usefull information! Have +1 internets for it!

In fact, that helps with my 2nd question above, as now I just have to wait for all the bits falling off an then doing the weight adjustement instead of looking for a way to get below the outer layers of hair...

Two questions:

A wearables preset should work for items that already exist as assets.

As there would be no copyrighted material exchanged (if I understood it right...) this would allow users to maybe set up a free (!) public (!) library of weight maps for the different hairstyles to be used with dForce?!?

edited May 2018

Okay... an attempt by me for De Roca Hair for V4 (came free with the Dark OPs ready to render bundle a while ago)

From left to right (Figure = G3F):

De Roca unmodified / De Roca dForced (basic head pose) / De Roca (different head pose + geoshell for hair with -0.05 cm setting and the same hair textures)

The (basic) hair needs a small adjustment as it seems to be a bit to "tight" for the G3F head. So a small scale increase for the x and z axis (to 105%) is needed to not have blank skin show through on some parts of the head. This size increase is already added in the material setting below. The geoshell isn't.

I guess the hair would profit a lot if a different texture could/would be applied.

I *think* I only used the basic installation paths for this hair. So there hopefully aren't any problems...

Best place to save that .duf to would be /my Library/Presets/(and either the wearables directory or you could make a hair directory to put it in there)

duf
    duf
    DeRoca dForced for G3F.duf
    2M
    Post edited by maikdecker on
  • sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992

I'm confused about using a geoshell with the hair?  Does it follow the sim?

I'm confused about using a geoshell with the hair?  Does it follow the sim?

I add the geoshell because the hair, when simmed, tends to flatten out, get very thin looking. Gaps between locks, for example.  Adding a geoshell and bumping up the offset to 0.2 or so give it the apperance of a little more depth and fills in some of those gaps (my opinion).  At first I thought that I had to turn it off during sims but I've forgotten to do that and it seems that it has no actual geometry so it doen't affect the sim at all even if it's on. Whatever shape the hair takes, the geoshell follows so yes, it follows the sim.

From left to right (Figure = G3F):

De Roca unmodified / De Roca dForced (basic head pose) / De Roca (different head pose + geoshell for hair with -0.05 cm setting and the same hair textures)

The (basic) hair needs a small adjustment as it seems to be a bit to "tight" for the G3F head. So a small scale increase for the x and z axis (to 105%) is needed to not have blank skin show through on some parts of the head. This size increase is already added in the material setting below. The geoshell isn't.

I guess the hair would profit a lot if a different texture could/would be applied.

I *think* I only used the basic installation paths for this hair. So there hopefully aren't any problems...

Best place to save that .duf to would be /my Library/Presets/(and either the wearables directory or you could make a hair directory to put it in there)

Maybe it's just me but the image didn't come through. 

JonnyRay said:

I'm going to start playing with this soon; so thank you for sharing this information. I love how some of these new technologies in Studio are breathing life into the forgotten corners of my content library!

Agreed. Some great V4 hairs by people like AprilYSH were amazing in their day but didn't look great in Iray. But with the newer hair texture presets and perhaps a bit of dyanamics as needed, they can be back in the game!  Which was one big motivation I had for doing this in the first place.  Older hairs that you try to parent onto a G3F but the shoulders don' line up right, the back is floating a bit, things like that.  Used to have to just shrug and say "well, 3D".  But now we have some better options to at least try to fix these issues without going to Zbrush or something.

kyoto kid said:
    nicstt said:
    Ki-Jen said:

...that's also why with older hair content poses and movements are often linked to the Neck instead of Head.  It's also why since G3, older hairs are more difficult to work with even when manually parenting as there are now an upper and lower neck bone instead of a single one.

The reason is good to know.

I've not noticed it before, but I'm not seeing the Dforce menu items; yes it is Studio 4.10.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled.

missing.JPG
    529 x 935 - 74K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,649
    JonnyRay said:

Agreed. Some great V4 hairs by people like AprilYSH were amazing in their day but didn't look great in Iray. But with the newer hair texture presets and perhaps a bit of dyanamics as needed, they can be back in the game!  Which was one big motivation I had for doing this in the first place.  Older hairs that you try to parent onto a G3F but the shoulders don' line up right, the back is floating a bit, things like that.  Used to have to just shrug and say "well, 3D".  But now we have some better options to at least try to fix these issues without going to Zbrush or something.

..Osean Hair is one that doesn't fare well in Iray unless you crank up the cutout opacity beyond 100%.  Otherwise it looks like your character was subjected to radiation poisoning. Using Slosh's UHT2 helps with this as it has higher opacity settings (so you don't have to manually set the maximum in the slider parameters) but you also first need convert the hair to Iray parameters using one of the UHT colour bases.

kyoto kid said:
    JonnyRay said:

..Osean Hair is one that doesn't fare well in Iray unless you crank up the cutout opacity beyond 100%.  Otherwise it looks like your character was subjected to radiation poisoning. Using Slosh's UHT2 helps with this as it has higher opacity settings (so you don't have to manually set the maximum in the slider parameters) but you also first need convert the hair to Iray parameters using one of the UHT colour bases.

You can try my trick of using a geoshell, copying the correspding materials from the real hair to the shell, and then bumping up the offset a bit.  That helps fill in the gaps left by the radiation!  Well, depending on how bad they are.  Worth a try though if it's something you really like and feel like it's out of your toolbox because of that issue.

I was trying to get Caleb hair to work with dForce, but the small dangly bits at the ends of his dreads just won't stay in place (= at the end of the dreads). Seems they are not "attached" to the dreads, but seperate parts. Can't exclude them from the simulation, 'cause then they just stay in lace while the dreads move. And reducing the weightmapping to zero where they meet the dreads leads to the same result.
    Just simulating makes them fall to the ground.

@grinch2901

For me the picture shows... try this link to see if you can see it there.

Oh.. and sometimes it might be better to set the offset of the geoshell down a bit, so it shows behind the original texture, not above it. And maybe use a slightly darker shader for the geoshell, so the 3d effect is enhanced.