Downloads - DAZ-Store slowly but surely sucks

2»

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...well apparently the Feature Request on product version numbers has been closed. An explanation was given but one which myself and many of us who don't use the DIM will not be happy with as it basically says we are "out of luck" to put it mildly, if we don't use the DIM.

That is sad, very sad.

While there was mention that the Content Library uses the same Expression filtering and will sort by latest revision I certainly cannot find it. All I can get it to do is sort by name "A - Z/Z - A" or by "newest to oldest/oldest to newest" Purchase Date, not by which products were most recently updated.

This is not good. This effectively is forcing us to use software we don't want to use for whatever reason (or in my case cannot get to work correctly) in order to keep our runtimes current.

I have to give this whole issue some serious thought.

The Sort by LATEST REVISION means this. The File that lists in your My Product page WILL be the newest version at all times. It auto replaces the older version. Updated files list and older versions drop off your list. If the Update does not WORK on your PC then you send a Support Ticket to the Help desk explaining why you need the older version and you will then be given a answer how to get the older files if they are still able to provide them.
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Neither email notification, nor a dedicated "Product Updates" forum, nor version numbers, have EVER been a reliable solution. I've been here 5 1/2 years, and in spite of being OCD about tracking updates and not having the problems with DAZ 3D emails that many other people have, only since using DIM have I found out about product updates which I missed using all of the above systems. I am sorry that you are having trouble using DIM, but it simply isn't true that there was a reliable system in place before which has been abandoned -- part of the reason for developing DIM was because of that very problem.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,678
    edited July 2013

...ti was better than what I am dealing with now which is literally nothing.

Oh and on using the product library to find the latest version of a product. Not about to go slogging through over 5 years of purchases looking for what may have been updated (and the fact there are no more version numbers, how would I even know?).

I just went to the Content Library and pulled up the last page of my itemised history which is has the first items I ever purchased/downloaded. Lo & behold what do I find? A pic of Daz Studio 1.0 but with the listed version being 2.3.3.146 and a purchase date of 11/06/07. 2.3.3.146 came out in early 2009 so one would think (if the library also sorted by update/version) it would be listed with my 2009 not 2007 downloads. So this is of little help

Here's an idea, how about adding a filter in the Product Library that would actually sort products in the most recent Daz updated version rather than just most recent/oldest purchase date? That would be a step in the right direction. As the Product Library uses the same regular expression filtering that Install Manager does, it shouldn't be that difficult to implement such a filter if the DIM already tags updated installers.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

You do understand we Admins are just FORUM users too right? We are in the same boat. We do not get to tell DAZ3D what to do any other way than you do. Tickets and such. I am only trying to help the best I can with the info I have to offer.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 1969

Well, the bug report got dismissed because there were requests to have the store show what was updated, which isn't really possible with the system, to have file names changed, which would break everything, and because I guess people are under the impression the Product Library can be sorted by last update, when it can't [or else it's very well hidden]. Anyone care to open a new feature request specifically asking for the store to have the same filter options as the DIM?

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,763
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...(prepare for this to be deleted).

Not being able to know what has been updated/revised without using the DIM is a disservice. I have tried my best and cannot get the DIM to work with my setup, therefore I need to manually DL/Install all my content. I don't mind doing so as I have done this for years with purchases from other sites and freebies.

There is one possible way to check if a file has been updated and that is to check its size, and compare it to the size of the one you have. That can usually be done without downloading the file. It worked in the old store, but I haven't tried yet with Magento though.

Strange though that you can't get DIM to work on your system. What errors do you get?

edited July 2013

...well for one it keeps corrupting my username. As I have mentioned (probably here and/or elsewhere) It has persisted through all three versions. I have submitted two support tickets on this (though apparently not to the Matnis bug tracker as I now see), one of which was closed with the response that I incorrectly typed in my username. Well if that were the case I could never get into the store or these forums then as they all use the same sign in which is where the DIM supposedly pulls the username from. The second ticket (which I submitted after the first update) is still open and most likely being ignored. I as told to create a second sign in which I did, however every time I opened the DIM afterwards it overwrote that with the corrupted one again. After it kept occurring with the latest update, and the copy on the workstation refused to read what I DL'd to the notebook and transferred via USB stick I uninstalled and deleted it from both my systems.

As to the feature ticket (now that I have the Mantis bugtracker bookmarked) I guess I'll submit it. unless someone here with a bit more "Daz savvy" than I have is willing to. The only issue I have is that while I do my work on a 64 bit Win7 platform, I still use my 32 bit XP notebook for all online tasks and no longer run Daz 4.6 on it.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited July 2013

DIM does not pull your user name from the store. You have said you are dyslexic so it is possible you typed your user name wrong. Next time you start DIM check the Work Offline box. DIM should start up now, expand to full screen and click the cog wheel in the upper right corner, this is (apparently) the new international symbol for preference file. The new pop up should open on the Accounts tab, click the + sign to make a new account and be very careful to type your user name and the e-mail address associated with it into the new account slot. Click Accept then close DIM. Re-open DIM and click on the Account button to switch to the newly created account, type in your password for that account and if everything was typed in right DIM should start, of course on a slow dial-up connection it may take a minute or two. Once you know the new account is working you can delete the old by selecting it in the Account tab and clicking the - sign.

Post edited by jestmart on
    edited July 2013

...when I installed the original (Beta) release, there as no "prompt" to manually enter my username. The first time I ever opened the DIM, my username was already inserted in the username field (with the corruption), so that says to me it had to pull the name from somewhere during either the installation or initial startup process. When the next update was released, I completely uninstalled the original version and deleted the installer from my system before installing the new version so there would be no carryover, and the same exact thing happened.

As to the "Create New Account" I did that , and every time I opened it up afterwards, it overwrote my login with the corrupted version of the name again. I uninstalled and reinstalled but the issue persisted.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...when I installed the original (Beta) release, there as no "prompt" to manually enter my username. The first time I ever opened the DIM, my username was already inserted in the username field (with the corruption), so that says to me it had to pull the name from somewhere during either the installation or initial startup process. When the next update was released, I completely uninstalled the original version and deleted the installer from my system before installing the new version so there would be no carryover, and the same exact thing happened.

As to the "Create New Account" I did that , and every time I opened it up afterwards, it overwrote my login with the corrupted version of the name again. I uninstalled and reinstalled but the issue persisted.

Ignoring the first part, which is impossible, DIM doesn't delete your preferences when you update, so the bad data is still there if you didn't delete it. The settings for the beta release are in C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\UserAccounts; for all subsequent releases it is in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\UserAccounts

edited July 2013

...double post due to connectivity issues.

edited December 1969

...I just know what I saw. So if it was not pulled in during install or start up, then where did the username that appeared in the field come from when I opened the utility for the first time immediately after I installed? I certainly didn't enter it.

Also, I do all my online business (including downloading) on my Notebook which is running XP32. There is no "Roaming" folder in XP that I know of so where would it place the settings?

...not sure what to do anymore. This has become a royal pain. I'm beginning to understand why Ledhead threw in the towel

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...I just know what I saw. So if it was not pulled in during install or start up, then where did the username that appeared in the field come from when I opened the utility for the first time immediately after I installed? I certainly didn't enter it.

Also, I do all my online business (including downloading) on my Notebook which is running XP32. There is no "Roaming" folder in XP that I know of so where would it place the settings?

...not sure what to do anymore. This has become a royal pain. I'm beginning to understand why Ledhead threw in the towel

If you clean the Files/Folders that were pointed out to you. THEN you can Enter your info in the new version by hand and all should work. All the info you need has been posted to this thread.
    edited July 2013

...this used to be so simple. Now it has became a total pain in the bum. As I mentioned in another thread:

I used to have an adage in the workplace that went: “they keep trying to make software and hardware so smart it actually becomes stupid because it gets in the way of doing things efficiently.”

Like Ledhead, I got into the as it was supposed to be something relaxing and enjoyable, instead it appears to have become another source of frustration and aggravation.

...I'm through here as it seems others know better and my concerns mean nothing - unsubscribing.

• ColdrakeColdrake Posts: 236
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...this used to be so simple. Now it has became a total pain in the bum.

I got into the as it was supposed to be something relaxing and enjoyable, instead it appears to have become another source of frustration and aggravation.

Unfortunately, you seem to have problems with just about everything.

Coldrake

edited December 1969

...yep, guess everything I know is wrong.

Back in the 2.3 days never had the issues I've seen lately. So much simpler: DL, Install, Make art. No DB management rubbish to deal with.

Heck, I'm still getting ebots to this thread even though I unsubscribed. Guess I'm a magnet for everything going wrong.