Downloads - DAZ-Store slowly but surely sucks

cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
edited June 2013 in The Commons

Slowly but surely this shop sucks. I want to buy a product and download it quite easy and install it quite easy, I have no fun on reading english manuels of new install or download managers like dim. Hey DAZ every other store is much more easy, just offer ZIPS, that is all you have to do.

What do I have to do with this DIM???????? I need a necklace for a render I am just working on and have no fun on reading and trying this download and install manager until it works.

Post edited by cosmo71 on

Comments

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited December 1969

I personally prefer DIM, makes things a LOT easier fo me, I honestly highly dislike having to deal with zips, so I'm glad that is rarely needed from here. Has to deal with neough of em from other palces around the net *smiles'

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

You never have to use dim.

It's totally optional and I have never used it.

Just download the installer or zip file (Yes, they do offer zips now - check the other options on your download page!).

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited December 1969

Carola O said:
    I personally prefer DIM, makes things a LOT easier fo me, I honestly highly dislike having to deal with zips, so I'm glad that is rarely needed from here. Has to deal with neough of em from other palces around the net *smiles'

nice, I really don`t know what to do...add an account???? what an account??? what name what emailadress what password????

edited December 1969

Just download the installer or zip file (Yes, they do offer zips now - check the other options on your download page!).

the product I have bought has only this DIM option

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited June 2013

nice, I really don`t know what to do…add an account???? what an account??? what name what emailadress what password????

You need to use the same name and email address you use to log into the store. I personally find it a lot easier. You can just download you don't have to use it to install items.
    Post edited by anikad on
  • SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

cosmo71 said:

That's new.

Can you post a screen shot of your download page? I could have sworn they said they would never force that on anybody!

edited June 2013

There are actually some pretty decent tutorials on this page: http://www.daz3d.com/install-manager-info

And a reference guide here; http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/referenceguide/start

Post edited by anikad on
    edited December 1969

cosmo71 said:

That's new.

Can you post a screen shot of your download page? I could have sworn they said they would never force that on anybody!

They are moving to zips only, you can download the zip independently of the DIM but the only way you will learn of updates is via the DIM and there are a lot of updates.

edited December 1969

anikad said:
    cosmo71 said:

That's new.

They are moving to zips only, you can download the zip independently of the DIM but the only way you will learn of updates is via the DIM and there are a lot of updates.

what updates? for products or the software itself?

all I need is a necklace for m4 :(

but yes, I have downloaded it via zip, for whatever reason this manual button didn`t work several times I have klicked on it...by the way, name it ZIP and not manual DAZ

edited December 1969

cosmo71 said:

That's new.

I already have downloaded the product right now as ZIP, for what ever reason the "Download Manual" button didn`t work several times and...at first I didn`t knew that this means download as ZIP, why can`t the name it "Download ZIP-File" ??????

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Keep in mind though that DIM by default creates a different folder (something called "MY DAZ3D Library" or something similar), so check the FAQ for that feature, you're likely to be forced into changing the directory. Or simply install anything and everything from DIM from start. That's another way, I suppose. Sockratease, Cosmo is probably speaking of a situation when you only have zipped file available, yet you're still free to decide whether you want to extract the contents manually or have DIM do it for you. I'm attaching a screenshot of that case (I removed my file list not to bother you).

DIM_item.png
    669 x 637 - 300K
  • estheresther Posts: 608
    edited December 1969

cosmo71 - i was skeptical at first too about the DIM and I did miss using the utility by taosoft which daz made to no longer work with it's new system. However it speeds up installation a fair bit if you want to put multiple files into the same runtime. I didn't uninstall anything but I am reinstalling all my stuff just to make sure I really have all of it. It will be easy to see if i have installed it all using DIM.

edited December 1969

cosmo71 said:

Product updates. I've bought a few products that have updated within days of being launched I would not have known about this if not for the DIM.

edited December 1969

anikad said:
    cosmo71 said:

Product updates. I've bought a few products that have updated within days of being launched I would not have known about this if not for the DIM.

ah okay, well all I needed was this :) the necklaces :)

gangtrey.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 270K
    edited December 1969

I just got a really nice free car model from daz.

• daveleitzdaveleitz Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

The DAZ Store surely does not suck! I was not one to jump on the DIM bandwagon in the beginning. When I bought a new computer a couple of months ago, however, the DIM was an amazingly huge help in getting all my purchased content installed and working right away. Even when I don't buy things, I still log on with DIM just to get the product updates. How is this not simply awesome?!

edited December 1969

and I just got a free car and some free food models as well.

edited July 2013

the DIM has created a lot of work fro me though too. I wish it was slightly better ie I could just navigate to the folder I want to install my downloads in without having to create a shortcut, name it and then select it.
    better still drag and drop

Post edited by esther on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,617
    edited July 2013

...(prepare for this to be deleted).

Not being able to know what has been updated/revised without using the DIM is a disservice. I have tried my best and cannot get the DIM to work with my setup, therefore I need to manually DL/Install all my content. I don't mind doing so as I have done this for years with purchases from other sites and freebies.

All they need to do is add a revision number (like 1.0, 1.1 etc) to the product title like they used to do with the old .exe installers.

I am going to file a support ticket about this (if I can find the Mantis Bug Report link)

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

I already have a bug report up. Here, jump in — the more, the merrier, or something...

edited December 1969

...comment added. How did you find the link to the Mantis bug reporter? I looked all over and all I could find was the reporting page in the Help tab which isn't the same. I also wanted to submit a request to have complete readme.txt files included in all the .zip packages.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...comment added. How did you find the link to the Mantis bug reporter?

Thanks. No idea where I found the link — I've had it for ages, since not long after bug reporting was handed over to the Mantis system. There was probably a sticky note somewhere on the old forums.
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

...thank you very much. Bookmarked so I have it.

edited December 1969

...well apparently the Feature Request on product version numbers has been closed. An explanation was given but one which myself and many of us who don't use the DIM will not be happy with as it basically says we are "out of luck" to put it mildly, if we don't use the DIM.

That is sad, very sad.

While there was mention that the Content Library uses the same Expression filtering and will sort by latest revision I certainly cannot find it. All I can get it to do is sort by name "A - Z/Z - A" or by "newest to oldest/oldest to newest" Purchase Date, not by which products were most recently updated.

This is not good. This effectively is forcing us to use software we don't want to use for whatever reason (or in my case cannot get to work correctly) in order to keep our runtimes current.

I have to give this whole issue some serious thought.

edited December 1969

I can't help remembering all the times various people have told us not to worry, we aren't being forced to use the DIM if we don't want to...

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I can't help remembering all the times various people have told us not to worry, we aren't being forced to use the DIM if we don't want to...

You aren't. There wasn't a reliable way of knowing when products were updated before.

edited December 1969

...yes there was. For a while there were update numbers attached to the installers. If we clicked on a product in our product library, it would list the installer with a version number (ie. "Young Teen Julie for Genesis - 1.x"). If that number was different than the last DL we had for that product on our system, that signified there was an update. This was fairly important after the 4.5 - 4.6 update as suddenly people were getting "Duplicate ID" errors when loading content or scenes which may have contained outdated content.

Also there is a thread that kept us informed (which is still maintained) of such changes posting notices of content which was updated (for whatever reason)

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3885/

In the original post, there is a long list of products, each with their version number after the name which was incredibly helpful. Unfortunately with the DIM.zips all we are now getting is the name but no update version.

As has been mentioned by others, Daz used to inform us of updates for what we purchased (as at least one other site, which has about as much sales volume and as large a community/customer base as Daz, still does) . That hasn't been the case here for a while now.

Everything, which used to relate to one's order/download history, from getting a full itemised purchase history to which products have been revised/updated is no longer available without having to install and use the DIM.

I still remember the days when we ere told to disable any download managers. Now it seems we are being required to use one.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

manual d/l forever. right click saveas been working nice since the silicon age

how bout an email notice if something updates?

edited December 1969

...man I'd love that. If as I mentioned they could do it before, they could do it again.

...unless it's one of those "features" Magetno doesn't support (though I'd always get updates on items I had bids on from eBay).