mcjShrinkWrapA for DS 4.5+ shrink wrap figures and objects - SAFE 2019 Update

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

COOL BEANS> looking forward to seeing this implemented! :-)

• mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,604
    edited August 2013

now that i'm back from the aiko-shoe-making detour

i'll resume work on the shrinkWrapper script or plugin

here you see in blue the profile of ... something wrapped onto something

and in magenta, the convex hull that is supposed to give us a tent / spandex effect

--- the second image clarifies the situation

the line in green would be like a cloth stretched on top of the something

and the line in magenta would be a hammoc on which the something lays

----

and you know what all this reminds me of ? .... this ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOiuh2Upa8s

---

Turns out what i want has a name, it's called Andrew's Monotone Chain Algorithm

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Algorithm_Implementation/Geometry/Convex_hull/Monotone_chain

testsheet3.jpg
    1280 x 447 - 86K
    testsheet2.jpg
    686 x 822 - 82K
    testsheet.png
    1280 x 720 - 85K
    overunder.jpg
    863 x 424 - 43K
    coberit.jpg
    863 x 424 - 43K
    Post edited by mCasual on
    edited December 1969

My head hurts from the technical stuff! lol Still watching and hoping you can get all this working even better than before. :coolgrin:

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    My head hurts from the technical stuff! lol Still watching and hoping you can get all this working even better than before. :coolgrin:

some progress! i caught the moon in a net

not there yet but that's progress, the curve shows how the "spandex" part of the script would treat a cloth shrink-wraped onto a ball+floor

spidermoon.png
    800 x 900 - 287K
    edited December 1969

Very nice but do you think there is a way to even out the curvatures where the verts on the ground are more gradual up to the verts where they are more populated on the moon ball??

Looking at your dialog your working in what would happen if you spaced out the dots more evenly from the ground to where that first dot is up on the curve on either side??

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Very nice but do you think there is a way to even out the curvatures where the verts on the ground are more gradual up to the verts where they are more populated on the moon ball??

Looking at your dialog your working in what would happen if you spaced out the dots more evenly from the ground to where that first dot is up on the curve on either side??

i had an experimental version where, as a last step, i reconstructed the curves/loops by first measuring the loop. then spreading the vertices at constant distances, i could add that as an option.

but this wont affect the shape of the curves which are like rubber-bands under tension

it's not a simulation of an elastic knitted cloth, in fact for now its just rows or columns of rubber-bands along one axis

when i'll combine 2 axis it should give interesting results

one thing i may also do is a tapering effect based on something like the D-Form's weights

in the distant dream future i'd like to add semi-random wrinkle/folds in the areas that are not in contact with the wrappee

edited August 2013

RAMWolff said:

oh but actually in the script, ( my laboratory version, that is ) presently, there IS a system that "re-populates" the curve, it's just that in the previous plot they were not computed , but in a forum post before that one you could see how the curves had the same number of vertices at the end of the process

so it would look more like this

repop.jpg
    723 x 343 - 27K
    edited December 1969

Ooo, now were talking! That's lovely!

edited August 2013

Fig 1 - a momentous event, the first time the script came up with an acceptable rubberband effect for ribbon/plane wrappers
    Fig 2 - corrected interpolation issue
    Fig3 - complex case
    Fig 4 - improved
    Fig 3 - stuff to look into

mouse.jpg
    1128 x 642 - 347K
    improv.jpg
    1136 x 644 - 125K
    netted.jpg
    1078 x 808 - 183K
    second.jpg
    850 x 638 - 167K
    momentous1.jpg
    840 x 630 - 169K
    edited December 1969

This is just awesome! WOW!

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    This is just awesome! WOW!

had some fence issues to solve ( is a flat line concave or convex? asked the computer )

next time i should have the first example of lets call it a spandexish mesh

fence.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 648K
    edited December 1969

WHOA, that's looking perfectumundo! Getting the shrink wrap to work over many areas of the body will greatly benefit from the new improvements.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Still here too. Haven't got a clue how you do all that, but it looks like it'll be fun to play with ... web wires, forcefields, ...

edited August 2013

Still here too. Haven't got a clue how you do all that, but it looks like it'll be fun to play with ... web wires, forcefields, ...

i think my characters are getting tired of the spiderman tests but they wont mind having new clothes done with it

aikomiku.jpg
    920 x 528 - 94K
    spidergreen.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 499K
    edited December 1969

Casual said:

i think my characters are getting tired of the spiderman tests but they wont mind having new clothes done with it

Okay :-)

edited December 1969

That last one with the kick is just unbelievable. WOW!

edited August 2013

another lab test which was a good idea since it let me discover a tiny rarely ocuring bug in the phase where the script discovers the architecture of the wrapping cloth

( it holds in place using nanotechnology )

nanonano.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 387K
    planebustier.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 219K
    AABB.gif
    533 x 800 - 110K
    edited December 1969

I like the third image with the red as the verts look more nicely spread out under the breast area! Perhaps there is a way to include a spreading smoothing option to make sure tighter areas won't get bunched up??

edited December 1969

Considering the hours I just spent trying to get a uvmap in Hexie for that area "presentable" ... WANT!!!!!

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    I like the third image with the red as the verts look more nicely spread out under the breast area! Perhaps there is a way to include a spreading smoothing option to make sure tighter areas won't get bunched up??

to get this result, i made a first shrink pass, then i decimated and subdivided the bustier/shield
    then i re-shrunk it

maybe there will be "rebuilding " of the curves to spread out the vertices ... maybe soon maybe later :)

edited December 1969

didn't advance the script but i made a little demo video !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpC8fFnq8vg

edited December 1969

Casual said:

? would there be a better result for the box if it was tessellated a lot ... like the sphere was?

edited December 1969

Yea, exceptional examples but the box was a little weird.

edited December 1969

Casual said:

? would there be a better result for the box if it was tessellated a lot ... like the sphere was?

the wrapper is projected onto the wrapped objects at a perpendicular angle from the wrapper plane (normals )
    some collider rays hit the box others hit the floor, then the script pulls them back a little - to reduce poke-trough
    but in this case the poke-through is as tall as the box so it doesn't work, then the spandex effect is (optionally ) applied
    and this too isn't enough to solve the poke through

to really really solve poke-trough, the script would check each one of the 4096 edges of the wrapper plane and move them so that they
    don't pierce the cube .... but i'd leave that for later

for now the air-gap is enough to fix poke-trough enough to help make clothes for figures

makeitsonumberone.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 58K
    edited August 2013

by pre-shrinking the wrapper plane and using a larger air-gap we get rid of the poke-trough

note here that the spandex / rubber-band effect is still only along 1 axis but should be available along 2 axis

ph1c.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 298K
    ph1a.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 353K
    edited December 1969

Very nice. Perfect even!

edited December 1969

You know, it occurred to me that perhaps you might actually develop a dynamics engine for DAZ Studio that can take simple obj's and drape them and then work up to more complex or outfits that were previously made. One of the factors that is gravely missing from DAZ Studio is a way use common and complex shapes to drape at the end users convenience rather than relying on that other system (which to me is too limiting).

edited August 2013

an important step for the script ( though i was holding it by the hand )

the sort-of-spandex effect along 2axis

the the script does

- push the cloth against the cube, as if it was a wet t-shirt

- stretch the cloth fibers along the X axis

- stretch the cloth fibers along the Z axis

----------
    Figure 2
    maybe the essence of this script is cup / hat / tent making

tent.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 570K
    importantstep.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 469K
    edited December 1969

a first garment-ish result with the 2 axis sort-of-spandex effect!

garment-panel.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 276K
    edited December 1969

Oh that's going to be popular!