Altern8! Altern8! Altern8!

Comments

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

what does the word Gen mean in this product ?

Generation

Genesis

Genitals

after a while fiddling with all those options i do not know which are still on and which not

i wish there would be a way to see this

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,566
    Ruphuss said:

what does the word Gen mean in this product ?

Generation

Genesis

Genitals

This

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited April 2018

A little more tweaking to give her back a little color. I'm really amazed at how good the base G8F skin is. I hadn't really looked at it much before, and I really like it with Altern8. This is actually close to my own skin tone (except I have about a zillion more freckles and moles.) Click and zoom in for a lot more detail.

Recipe: 

• Karyssa No Maps
    • Sclera 25% (reduced to 15% Diffuse Overlay Weight)
    • SSS Tint A
    • Transmitted Measurement Distance 25% (previous one was 15%)
    Alten8 G8F3.png
    2500 x 2000 - 3M
    Post edited by Llynara on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited April 2018

I've been hearing you guys' feedback and as stated here and here, I'll be updating the product with some additional presets. :) 

Some of the skins are reacting to some of the presets with a "red-nose" effect, so there are presets to fix that (thank you Llynara for the great suggestion!). 

There have been some asking for warmer tones as well as more settings for darker skins. There are now 10 new SSS Tint colors, and 3 new Translucency colors that will work well with both warming skin tones and helping to enhance dark skins. Additionally, there will be 2 more skin shine settings - one for those who want nearly no shine, and one to turn shine off all together. 

Here are some renders with some of the new settings.

Tisha with her default settings:

Tisha with:

• "Monique - No Maps"
    • SSS Tint H
    • Translucency D 45
    • Transmitted Measurement Distance .07

Taia with her default settings:

Taia with:

• Lucas 8 B - No Maps
    • SSS Tint J
    • Transmitted Measurement Distance .25
    • Skin Shine Low

Taia with:

• Olympia 8 A - No Maps
    • SSS Tint H
    • Transmitted Measurement Distance .12

Thank you, guys, for your feedback! The product will be updated with the new settings soon. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
    Llynara said:

A little more tweaking to give her back a little color. I'm really amazed at how good the base G8F skin is. I hadn't really looked at it much before, and I really like it with Altern8. This is actually close to my own skin tone (except I have about a zillion more freckles and moles.) Click and zoom in for a lot more detail.

Recipe: 

• Karyssa No Maps
    • SSS Tint A

Wow! That's gorgeous! Excellent render, Llynara! yes

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Llynara said:

Recipe: 

• Karyssa No Maps
    • SSS Tint A

I've always been a fan of the base textures: G3 and G8; they just needed some tlc

Thanks! Since I was doing base G8F, I went ahead and did base G8M for the heck of it. I'm thinking his skin is actually the M7 skin. Click and zoom for more detail on each. All are the same light and render presets, no postwork.

Defaults: 

Altern8 V8 No Maps: 

V8 No Maps Tweaked version: 

• Altern8 V8 No Maps
    • Sclera .25
    • SSS Tint A
    • Transmitted Scattered Distance 25
    • Fingernails- used Diva's trick to copy the arm settings into the nails (since the nails were pink)
    • Toenails- Tried the arm trick, but it didn't look right, so I just took out the colors in the Transmitted and SSS colors, leaving them white.

Karyssa 8 No Maps with Tweaks

I was surprised when comparing them side by side that he was darker than the original, so I tried Karyssa 8 No Maps. I found some of the others washed him out too much. That Iray Preview Mode is very handy! 

• Karyssa 8 No Maps
    • Sclera .25
    • SSS Tint H
    • Fingernails- copy from arms
    • Toenails- copy from legs (duh, should have thought of that before!) 

@divamakeup - I'm loving those darker skins with the new tints. They really look good! 

G8M defs.png
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    G8M Altern8 V8 Maps.png
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    G8M Altern8 V8 Maps2.png
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    G8M Altern8 K8 Maps.png
    2000 x 2000 - 2M

thank you Llynara providing render recipes

thatrs really helpful

edited April 2018
    Ruphuss said:

thank you Llynara providing render recipes

thatrs really helpful

You're very welcome! I'm learning as I go too, might as well share!

Here's a closeup with a few more tweaks for G8M. Now that I've got these the way I want them, I save as custom material presets, so I can use whenever I like. 

Note: This is the same lighting and HDR as before, but since he's sitting it looks darker. I did re-aim the lights on him for the different pose. Render settings and everything else are the same. For some reason, I could not get his butt on the floor, so he's floating a bit. LOL (Click and zoom for more detail.)

G8M with Karyssa 8 No Maps Tweaked

• Karyssa 8 No Maps
    • Alten8 EyeSocket Preset
    • Sclera .25
    • Skin Shine Low
    • SSS Tint H
    • Fingernails- copy from arms
    • Toenails- copy from legs, lower Translucency Weight to .35 to get rid of slight pink on ends of toe nails (they are a bit bright though, I may have to tweak them some more.)
    G8M Altern8 K8 Maps Cloesup.png
    2000 x 2000 - 3M
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

My first test with Altern8 using a slightly modified version of Raiya's Brooklyn and the Charlotte no-maps.  Gave it a little color adjustment in post and fixed a bit of pokethrough on the swimsuit, but otherwise no additional tweaks or postwork.  Overall I love this product, but I posted an alternate no-clothes version on my DevArt page, as the one thing that Altern8 did oddly was that the nipples rendered quite different from the lips. 

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

No. I almost always see a greyish green tint . Lynara's (Here's a quick render of the base G8F with Karyssa No Maps) render is a perfect example.

Ruphuss said:

and i am the only one here who thinks that a lot of those renders here have the skin of a very ill person

all that green and gray

edited April 2018

I added some color back with SSS Tint A here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3553461/#Comment_3553461

Remember that some of the character presets were created to fix the overly orange and red tones in those characters' skins (Charlotte, Lucas, Olympia, etc.) You can use the presets on other characters, but they may take too much color out. You can always adjust that with the many Altern8 settings- changing tint color, transparency strengths, etc. Diva has more tint presets she's adding that we're testing right now.

That looks great! Not sure why the nipples don't match. I haven't noticed that on the characters I've tried, but will see if I can replicate that issue.

Cybersox said:

My first test with Altern8 using a slightly modified version of Raiya's Brooklyn and the Charlotte no-maps.  Gave it a little color adjustment in post and fixed a bit of pokethrough on the swimsuit, but otherwise no additional tweaks or postwork.  Overall I love this product, but I posted an alternate no-clothes version on my DevArt page, as the one thing that Altern8 did oddly was that the nipples rendered quite different from the lips. 

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    fastbike1 said:

No. I almost always see a greyish green tint . Lynara's (Here's a quick render of the base G8F with Karyssa No Maps) render is a perfect example.

Ruphuss said:

and i am the only one here who thinks that a lot of those renders here have the skin of a very ill person

all that green and gray

I also feel this way, I'm waiting to see how the new presets work before I decide weather to return the product or keep it. 

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Picked up Thorne's Mei Yin for V4 earlier; converted the textures using Blacksmith Pro's Texture Transformer; then I created some additional textures. The eyes often have built-in reflectivity so I replaced them.

I like the older textures as they are often real textures. Still getting to grips with Altern8, but liking it a lot.

Thorne - Mei Yin V4.png
    1273 x 1800 - 1M
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,566
    Cybersox said:

I see what you mean about the nipples in your DA image. BTW nice DA gallery.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762
    Cybersox said:

I see what you mean about the nipples in your DA image. BTW nice DA gallery.

Thanks.  Yeah, my first guess was that the lips Raiya used came from a different source than the body and while they blend well without Altern8, something in the processing accentuates the difference dramatically.  However, since the difference isn't anywhere near as pronounced on Brooklynn when using NGS2, my other go-to skin shader, I think there must be something beyond that in the underlying maps, since NGS2 throws out a lot of those and just uses the diffuse.   

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,440
    daveso said:

is there a render using just base G8 ?  

I can't imagine ever using the default G8 skin, but Altern8 does a pretty good job of changing it up other than the red nose effect. This is with the Altern8 - Karyssa 8 - No Maps setting and a medium translucency and shine. default lighting (scene and dome) also

thanks...and now there are a few more. I wanted to see how the system works with as base as possible. I like it...and now with the soon updates, it will be even better.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    fastbike1 said:

Ruphuss said:

all that green and gray

I see the grey-green in some of the renders using Altern8 but not all of them. I haven't bought this product. Are those maybe Altern8 presets meant to emphasis dusk or nightime lighting?

is the similar to Anagenesis 2? 

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    Taoz said:

What's causing that red nose thing?

The translucency color and the amount of translucency I'd imagine. The lower the amount of translucency, 

Llynara said:

Recipe: 

• Karyssa No Maps
    • SSS Tint A

My skin is extremely fair too (thanks to my German ancestry), but it's also a teensy bit olive too (thanks to my Italian ancestry). Makes me look a tad "yellow green" LOL. My sister, who isn't nearly as fair, looks all-over green, so some of these skins don't look too far outside of reality to me. But you can fix it with the correct mixture of tint and translucency. Most of my skins have had a peachy tone to them (which is what I was aiming for).

Laurie

edited April 2018

Oh, also wanted to say that for those who are being "hard" on the product (you're entitled of course...lol), Anagenesis wasn't perfect either. That script gave me red legs a lot of the time, especially on the Genesis 2 characters for whatever reason. I'm realizing that without depth maps (and skin tone appropriate ones), it's going to to be hard for every single part of a person's body to look absolutely correct with Iray as the thinner parts will have to look a little "off" in order for the thicker parts to look better. Or, in the case of some recent skins, it all looks off (like Olympia 8). Diva's shaders are closer than what we've been getting (which are skins with too much translucence). One just needs to experiment with the colors.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
    Cybersox said:

That's a lovely render! Great looking character! :D

I've never seen any issue with odd nipple colors - it might be something with the character maps itself as I've used Altern8 on a crazy number of characters and haven't seen an issue with nipple color. 

edited April 2018
    scorpio said:
    fastbike1 said:

Ruphuss said:

all that green and gray

I also feel this way, I'm waiting to see how the new presets work before I decide weather to return the product or keep it. 

Awww That's unfortunate. I'm sorry to hear that. I thought your character with George's skin and Altern8 came out really cool! 

Hopefully, the new settings will be to your liking. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
    nicstt said:

Picked up Thorne's Mei Yin for V4 earlier; converted the textures using Blacksmith Pro's Texture Transformer; then I created some additional textures. The eyes often have built-in reflectivity so I replaced them.

I like the older textures as they are often real textures. Still getting to grips with Altern8, but liking it a lot.

She's so pretty! Thank you for using Altern8 - I'm glad you like it!

And I agree about V4 textures - I have several that I absolutely love! I had to pick up Cayman Studios' great Legacy UVs product so that I can use the V4 textures on my G8 characters. It's a great product and I highly recommend it for people who enjoy the older skins on new characters (and either don't have Blacksmith Texture Transformer or don't have the time to manually convert them). :) 

Cybersox said:

Looks generally good, but there's a lot of blue coming thru, especially on her inner arm.

Laurie

edited April 2018
    AllenArt said:

Oh, also wanted to say that for those who are being "hard" on the product (you're entitled of course...lol), Anagenesis wasn't perfect either. That script gave me red legs a lot of the time, especially on the Genesis 2 characters for whatever reason. I'm realizing that without depth maps (and skin tone appropriate ones), it's going to to be hard for every single part of a person's body to look absolutely correct with Iray as the thinner parts will have to look a little "off" in order for the thicker parts to look better. Or, in the case of some recent skins, it all looks off (like Olympia 8). Diva's shaders are closer than what we've been getting (which are skins with too much translucence). One just needs to experiment with the colors.

Laurie

Thank you, Laurie! :D And yeah, that's exactly it. The character presets are designed around 10 of the Daz Original "Official 8" characters - many of which have a bit of an orangish tint to the skin tones. To compensate I used more blue and greenish tones to help bring the skins to a less orangey tone. The product was only meant to support those 10 characters - but I added quite a few adjustment settings so that if people wanted to use the settings on other characters, it would be more customizable for the other skins. After hearing everyone's feedback and how great the communty has been about supporting the release of Altern8 for G8, I wanted to provide a few more settings to help accomidate a wider range of skins. So hopefully the new settings will address the issues that some of had with the product on some of the different skins. It was never meant to be a "magic bullet" that works on every single G8 and G3 character ever made lol, but I do hope that with the new settings it will help bring it more support for a wider range of skins. :) The new settings give options for more warm skin colors as well as support for more of the darker skinned characters.

Post edited by 3Diva on
    daveso said:

It's similar in that they're both skin shader/skin settings products. That's about where the similarity ends. :) I love Anagenssis 2 - it's a wonderful product (particuarly for creature skins), personally though (and I'm completely biased becuase it's my product lol) but I like Altern8 better in most cases for human skins. But I definitely recommend Anagenssis 2 for those who want a variety of choices and options. It's a great product! :)

daveso said:

It's similar in that they're both skin shader/skin settings products. That's about where the similarity ends. :) I love Anagenssis 2 - it's a wonderful product (particuarly for creature skins), personally though (and I'm completely biased becuase it's my product lol) but I like Altern8 better in most cases for human skins. But I definitely recommend Anagenssis 2 for those who want a variety of choices and options. It's a great product! :)

thanks smiley   I dont have any creatures, but really like to make my skins look different. better.