Altern8! Altern8! Altern8!

Comments

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,437

so I bought it. I like it, even though only used so far on Alexandra8. it renders a lot faster. is it supposed to ?

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    daveso said:

so I bought it. I like it, even though only used so far on Alexandra8. it renders a lot faster. is it supposed to ?

Yes.

That's one of the perks of this product!

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    daveso said:

Yes, most of the Altern8 presets render faster versus most of the default "Official 8" character settings.

Some of the promo images have the render times listed in the side by side images of the default character settings vs the Altern8 settings:

I'm so glad to hear that you bought it and like it! :) Yay! :D 

There's an update on the way that adds quite a few new adjustment settings. Many of which provide more options for warmer skin settings as well as wider support for a larger variety of skin tones - including darker skin. There are some other settings added as well and a ReadMe that's been added. The update should be released soon. It's currently in the "Final QA" stage.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited April 2018

In just a few short days this has become my go to tool to setup my base skin shading. Ultimate Iray Skin Manager makes tweaking the settings for specific skins easy. And I love the results so far. More presets will be welcome, but I've been very happy with the output of what we have already.

Below: Vicky 8 (with maps) tweaked slightly for translucency settings. Rendered using HDR-A from the Altern8 Render Settings.

JackLynch-v00-Altern8.png
    900 x 900 - 412K
    Post edited by JonnyRay on
  • RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    Llynara said:

I did recipes for G8F and G8M base figures here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3553806/#Comment_3553806

i appriciate your recipes Llynara and know this

but having a mapped preset for base G8f is the only chance for me to see the difference between a mapped and nomap preset

edited April 2018
    JonnyRay said:

In just a few short days this has become my go to tool to setup my base skin shading. Ultimate Iray Skin Manager makes tweaking the settings for specific skins easy. And I love the results so far. More presets will be welcome, but I've been very happy with the output of what we have already.

Did you mean to post that here? Are you saying you use Altern8 for Genesis 8 and Ultimate Iray Skin Manager together? Or did you mean to post that in a different thread? I'm a bit confused, sorry! lol

Edit - Oh! I saw you edited your post - it looks like you are using them together, very cool! The render looks great! 

Post edited by 3Diva on
    Ruphuss said:
    Llynara said:

I did recipes for G8F and G8M base figures here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3553806/#Comment_3553806

i appriciate your recipes Llynara and know this

but having a mapped preset for base G8f is the only chance for me to see the difference between a mapped and nomap preset

I've already added a lot of new settings, I really can't ask Daz to update the product AGAIN. lol 

The reason I didn't include a preset for the Base Genesis 8 Female is because Base G8F uses Karen 7's skin, and I'm adding a preset for that in "Vol 2" - which probably won't be out until quite a few months from now, but should include presets to support almost all of the Daz Original "Official 7" characters. At least that's the plan. 

I can come up with a formula for Base Genesis 8 Female skin and post it if you like. You can always follow the formula and then save it as a Material Preset (File >> Save As >> Material(s) Preset) - that loads the character maps like the "Maps" settings do. 

Let me know if you want a formula for the base G8F and I'll see about putting one together. :)

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

would be very nice Diva

a big thank you

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    edited April 2018

Skin Builder 3 and Altern8 could have been made for each other. I haven't had much time to experiment, but here's G8F (no additional shaping) wearing a Skin Builder 3 texture, the Charlotte 8 'no maps' skin settings from Altern8 and 'Oh My Brows'. It could probably use some postwork - there's not a lot that can't - but I could use a few more hours in the day! I think I'll be using these products together a lot.

SB3_A8.jpg
    600 x 800 - 148K
    Post edited by BlueIrene on
  • y3kmany3kman Posts: 765

Hi. With the release of Edie 8, will the product be updated to have presets for future base figures?

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,562
    y3kman said:

Hi. With the release of Edie 8, will the product be updated to have presets for future base figures?

Now you have done it Diva, ongoing support for new figures DOH!

It's interesting users asking for specific presets for certain figures. I don't own any of the characters there are presets for, but I still find it very useful.

Ruphuss said:

would be very nice Diva

a big thank you

I've got to get some sleep, but after I've rested I'll see what I can come up with. :)

Skin Builder 3 and Altern8 could have been made for each other. I haven't had much time to experiment, but here's G8F (no additional shaping) wearing a Skin Builder 3 texture, the Charlotte 8 'no maps' skin settings from Altern8 and 'Oh My Brows'. It could probably use some postwork - there's not a lot that can't - but I could use a few more hours in the day! I think I'll be using these products together a lot.

That looks great! Nicely done! 

y3kman said:

Hi back! heheh That's the plan. :) The first Altern8 supported 10 of the "Official 8" characters. Altern8 Vol 2 will likely have support for almost all of the "Official 7" figures (that's probably quite a ways away though). But I also plan on Altern8 for more of the "Official 8" characters once a few more are released. 

y3kman said:

It's interesting users asking for specific presets for certain figures. I don't own any of the characters there are presets for, but I still find it very useful.

hahah Sounds good to me. I enjoy working with the figures and tweaking the skin settings and making presets. If enough people keep buying the future add-on packages, I'll keep working on supporting the new figures. At least that's the plan. If they don't sell so well, then plans will change. But for now I'm working on future releases to support more of the released figures. We'll see what happens. :) I'm flexible. 

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,437
    y3kman said:

hahah Sounds good to me. I enjoy working with the figures and tweaking the skin settings and making presets. If enough people keep buying the future add-on packages, I'll keep working on supporting the new figures. At least that's the plan. If they don't sell so well, then plans will change. But for now I'm working on future releases to support more of the released figures. We'll see what happens. :) I'm flexible. 

do you do yoga?

• Just received and installed the update and must say: YES. That's something!

When i first tried some renders with the product, i was a little disappointed about the 'bluish' skin tones, because i not often create crime scenes ;-) and i was quite close to return the product.

But i was too impatient. Now i'm happy that there is such a good support on the product and i'll keep it for sure.
    Btw, talking about skin colours: it would really help on discussions of this matter if the people take more attention to adjust their monitors correctly. My one is colour calibrated and that helps a lot when fine tunig skin tones.

Now at he moment there is only one open whish i have for the product: i still miss an Altern8 maps setting for Michael8 as he is the first male character in each new generation and is my mostly used figure.

So pleeeeaaase....

• ArielRGHArielRGH Posts: 105

But it is a matter of skin colours... I expect Vicky 8's setting would be more than good enough for Mike 8.

• @ ArielRGH  I was talking about the settings WITH maps, and these are gender specific. The no maps settings arent. Especially the gens settings are...

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited April 2018

Now at he moment there is only one open whish i have for the product: i still miss an Altern8 maps setting for Michael8 as he is the first male character in each new generation and is my mostly used figure.

So pleeeeaaase....

Until you pointed it out I had'nt noticed the lack of M8, it is rather odd that he's not included.

Post edited by scorpio on
    edited April 2018

The update for the new Altern8 settings is now live. You should be able to download it in whichever your prefered method is and the added settings should be there along with a new ReadMe (Special thanks to Llynara for formatting the new ReadMe and adding visual aids - the ReadMe looks great, Llynara, thank you so much!)

The ReadMe should be with your download but you can also download it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4jxh3k6cwv11mke/51921_Altern8 Readme.pdf?dl=0

The included new presets are:

10 New SSS Tint colors (for support of a wider range of skin tones, including darker skins, as well as options for warmer skins)

3 New Translucency Colors (for the reasons listed above)

4 New Transmitted Measurement Distance settings (for instances when the settings react to different skins creating a "red nose" effect - the lower Transmitted Measurement Distance settings will help with that).

1 New "Nails - No Color" setting

Thank you again to everyone who's purchased Altern8. Your support is very much appreciated! I hope you guys enjoy the new settings. 

Happy Rendering! laugh

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Thanks so much Diva for all your hard work and great customer care!  HUGS

edited April 2018
    Ruphuss said:

would be very nice Diva

a big thank you

Ok, here are a couple of formulas. I recommend trying each out and seeing which one you like the best. You can tweak it to your liking as well using the included presets, of course. :) Once you get the look you like you can save it as a Materials Preset. I think I mentioned how to do that, but you can also find directions on how to do it in the ReadMe under "Save and Use your Faves": https://www.dropbox.com/s/4jxh3k6cwv11mke/51921_Altern8 Readme.pdf?dl=0

Each of these are rendered using:

• HDR A
    • Render Settings B
    • Render Brightness - Darker 1
    • Dome Rotation D - 180

The first formula is:

• Lucas 8 B - No Maps
    • SSS Tint H
    • Translucency Color G
    • Transmitted Measurement Distance .25

The second formula is:

• Aiko 8 A - No Maps
    • SSS Tint H

And this is the great formula that Llynara worked out:

• Karyssa 8 - No Maps
    • SSS Tint A

For the eyes:
    Go to the Surfaces Tab and select Sclera. Turn the Diffuse Overlay Weight to .18, turn the Translucency Weight to .12.
    In the Surfaces Tab select EyeSocket. Turn the Translucency Weight to .50.

I hope that helps! :) Let me know if you need any help or have any questions.

Post edited by 3Diva on

Just received and installed the update and must say: YES. That's something!

When i first tried some renders with the product, i was a little disappointed about the 'bluish' skin tones, because i not often create crime scenes ;-) and i was quite close to return the product.

But i was too impatient. Now i'm happy that there is such a good support on the product and i'll keep it for sure.
    Btw, talking about skin colours: it would really help on discussions of this matter if the people take more attention to adjust their monitors correctly. My one is colour calibrated and that helps a lot when fine tunig skin tones.

So pleeeeaaase....

I'm sorry, I couldn't support all of the "Official 8" characters that have been released. I do plan on doing more presets to support more of the "8" line once more get released. I'll be sure to include Michael 8 in the future Genesis 8 add-on. :) For now though try the different presets and settings. Once you get a look you like you can save it as a Materials Preset so that it loads the mats and the settings together. There are directions on how to do that in the ReadMe under the "Save and Use your Faves" section: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4jxh3k6cwv11mke/51921_Altern8 Readme.pdf?dl=0

@ ArielRGH  I was talking about the settings WITH maps, and these are gender specific. The no maps settings arent. Especially the gens settings are...

The gens settings are Shaders and aren't gender specific. They can be used on either the male or female gens. 

RAMWolff said:

Thanks so much Diva for all your hard work and great customer care!  HUGS

Dawww blush It's the least I can do for all the great support the community has given me and you guys' wonderful response to Altern8!

Thank you for the sweet comment! *(hugs back)*

• OMG I've been so busy at work I've missed all these great renders. Also, more Altern8 products in the future? Count me in. And updates!! Wow, I know what I'll be doing once I stop working these 16-hour days. :-)

Diva, you're so awesome!!

edited April 2018

OMG I've been so busy at work I've missed all these great renders. Also, more Altern8 products in the future? Count me in. And updates!! Wow, I know what I'll be doing once I stop working these 16-hour days. :-)

Diva, you're so awesome!!

Thank you, missuskisses! laugh I can't stop smiling now! 

I hope you have fun with the product once you get your hours worked out. Wow - 16 hour days! I hope you get some rest and are able to find some "you time" soon. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • Looks like a affordable version of NGS 2 without the red thighs problems. Can't wait to try this out.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    edited April 2018

G3 benefits as much from the product as G8 does, despite the name. Here's G3F (55% Karen 7 and 45% Monique 7 with Ophelia 7's skin textures), wearing Altern8's 'Monique, no maps' setting together with a few tweaks to Alternate's SSS Tint and Transmitted Measurement Distance settings and a filthy look that says 'Stop mucking about with Expression Mixer!'

There's nothing special about her, but I don't think she'd fall short in comparison if stuck alongside many of the G8 girls.

7up.jpg
    600 x 800 - 319K
    Post edited by BlueIrene on