Altern8! Altern8! Altern8!

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    ArielRGH said:

Okay. Quick render of V8 with her V8 maps preset, plus Altern8 sclera, 75% translucency and a lips preset. EJ Vera's eyes and AprilYSH's Voss hair and OnFleek eyebrows. It does look better to me than the vanilla skin.

Thank you for posting the render! :) 

You might use a lower setting on the Sclera as the eyes look a tad blood-shot. But it's a lovely render! Thank you for show us! laugh

Im confused about were it is that I start. Do I need to use one of the character presets? If not, which shader do I begin with? Some documentation would have been appropriate.

It tried to include tip files to help, but I'm also happy to help answer any questions. :) 

Start with the blue icons if you want to load the skin textures with all the character's texture maps. If you want to use the settings on other characters use the "no maps" settings (the green icons). You can then farther adjust the skin to your liking with the included SSS Tint, Translucency Strength, Translucency Color, Eye Settings, and Skin Shine settings. :)

I posted these over in the commercial thread. I used the Victoria 8 preset plus a few changes. Diva's shaders cut render time down by over half! The first render is the original skin.

Try adjusting the translucency strength and/or the SSS Tint or Translucency color. :) There are quite a few settings and adjustments that can help with the translucency (which is what can cause "red nose"). heheh :)

xyer0 said:

Some test renders on a character of mine. Altern8 definitely gives a bit more texture. Render times increased ever so slightly for me. For first scene, for example, original character took approx. 9 min 30 sec. First Altern8 test took 11 min; second test took 10 min.

(Also pay no attention to slight variation in lip color. That had to do with the original mat settings...)

I like the Original (skin, lips, eyes). Altern8 really helps the Caucasian skins. Monique has great skin as is. And Darius could use some help, but I was not really impressed with his image in the promos.

Your character looks cool and real. And her hair is really nice. I want hair like that!

Thanks so much! Darker skinned characters are always trickier. Even Anagenessis's "Dark Skin" setting doesn't fully do it for me.

I've been experimenting more, and I think my fave thus far is my original textures plus Altern8's dual lobe spec + glossiness settings I got from M8 No Maps. I'm really enjoying messing around with this product!

Darker skins are really tricky - and Darius and Monique already have such amazing skin settings, imo. Don't be afraid to try some of the other settings as well and then the settings can be farther adjusted with the SSS Tints, Translucency Colors, etc. I really love your character - she's gorgeous! 

Llynara said:

Ooh, that looks good! I love her freckles and the skin shine!

Thank you, and thanks to Divamakeup for this awesome product!

Thank YOU for helping to spread the excitment! This thread really put a huge smile on my face and your enthusiasm for the product has been awesome! Thank you, missuskisses! 

I used the Lucas settings on a medium cafe o le skin- so much fun to play with these settings. I can't tell if my image will post or not but I labeled the image using Alternat8 in my gallery

Heck yeah! That looks great! I love the render - thank you for sharing it with us! yes

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,566

Diva, while I haven't picked up the product yet, I wanted to say congrats on the new release! keep up the great work!! yes

Diva, while I haven't picked up the product yet, I wanted to say congrats on the new release! keep up the great work!! yes

Thank you! :D I appreciate the support!

I hope that you enjoy the product if you end up picking it up. :)

• Payat ParinPayat Parin Posts: 980

Congrats Divamakeup on your new release! It is absolutely an advancement for 3D renders, a must have for portrait and photorealistic render. I hope you will do more...

• How does this compare to Anagenesis?

Asking for a friend.

• xyer0 said:

Some test renders on a character of mine. Altern8 definitely gives a bit more texture. Render times increased ever so slightly for me. For first scene, for example, original character took approx. 9 min 30 sec. First Altern8 test took 11 min; second test took 10 min.

(Also pay no attention to slight variation in lip color. That had to do with the original mat settings...)

I like the Original (skin, lips, eyes). Altern8 really helps the Caucasian skins. Monique has great skin as is. And Darius could use some help, but I was not really impressed with his image in the promos.

Your character looks cool and real. And her hair is really nice. I want hair like that!

Thanks so much! Darker skinned characters are always trickier. Even Anagenessis's "Dark Skin" setting doesn't fully do it for me.

I've been experimenting more, and I think my fave thus far is my original textures plus Altern8's dual lobe spec + glossiness settings I got from M8 No Maps. I'm really enjoying messing around with this product!

Darker skins are really tricky - and Darius and Monique already have such amazing skin settings, imo. Don't be afraid to try some of the other settings as well and then the settings can be farther adjusted with the SSS Tints, Translucency Colors, etc. I really love your character - she's gorgeous! 

Thanks so much! Yes, I'll have to keep playing. Love your new signature, hehe.

• ArielRGHArielRGH Posts: 105
    edited April 2018
    Shoxremi said:

How does this compare to Anagenesis?

Asking for a friend.

I'll try to answer that with what I know. I am no expert, mind you.

Dimension-Z's NGS Anagenessis 2 works like a charm in generations 4 to 7 (Genesis 3). But I have yet to make NGS2 work well on the G8 products. I tried to apply it to Victoria 8, and it gives her a horrible yellowish tone that was quite hard to remove. Even when I tweaked the settings for the skin to look decent, it was still uneven, the legs were a completely different colour than the arms (see the file attached). Dimension-Z has written in the forums here and in his DeviantArt that he's working on his NGS3, which will have support for G8, and that it's almost done. The last update he posted he said that it was essentially finished with Chromatic SSS, but he wanted the Mono SSS to look exactly the same, and he was still working on that. (If I were him I would drop completely the Mono thing and release the product already, with the Chromatic mode only cheeky)

Update: I just went to Dimension-Z's DeviantArt. Looks like he just made NGS3 work in mono mode. I guess NGS3 will be released real soon.

Divamakeup's Altern8, as the name suggests, is designed for Genesis 8 figures, with support for G3 figures. I read that with a few extra tweaks you could even make it work with G2. Plus, Divamakeup addressed several extra points, namely: presets to make the genitals work from the beginning (Dimension-Z got criticized for that, so he made a special script to make the gens work with NGS2. NGS3 totally does support genitals, as he's shown in several very NSFW renders in his DeviantArt), a special preset for the sclera, plus she added light presets and HDR backgrounds for you to test the lights. 

This is what I know about the two products, hope it helps.

V8 with Aarna body and NGS2 tweaked test.png
    900 x 900 - 615K
    Post edited by ArielRGH on
  • HavosHavos Posts: 5,306
    Shoxremi said:

Asking for a friend.

I don't think it is a case of one skin shader being better than another in all cases. Anagenesis looks great on some skins I have used it one, and absolutely awful on others. As such having a variety of skin shader products, including this one, will help to get the best look for a particular skin. Remember both kits are mostly presets (although they include additional maps aswell), and so you can reproduce the same effect yourself by tweaking the settings manually, however it is a lot less effort to use a product like this one to do most of the hard work for you.

edited April 2018
    Shoxremi said:

Asking for a friend.

Oh, that's a tough question. To me, that's a bit like asking how does an orange compare to a banana. lol While they're both fruit (and both Anagenessis 2 and Altern8 are shader systems), they're quite different and do different things - both providing drastically different looks, imo. I LOVE Anagenessis 2, I think it's an amazing product. While it does an incredible job on older textures and creature skins, I think, (and this is just my opinion, and of course I'm biased because I love my product lol) but I think that my shaders and settings create a bit more realism. Again, that's my opinion only and I'm sure that others will have different opinions and that's ok too. :)

If you want some side by side comparisons or have a character in mind that you'd like to see the difference between the two let me know and if I have the character I'll try and do a side by side with the two shaders. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on

Congrats Divamakeup on your new release! It is absolutely an advancement for 3D renders, a must have for portrait and photorealistic render. I hope you will do more...

Awww Thank you! :D That's really a nice thing to hear - you put a big smile on my face!

xyer0 said:

Thanks so much! Yes, I'll have to keep playing. Love your new signature, hehe.

hahah Thanks! :D Yeah, play away! There are a lot of different looks that can be achieved by playing with the different settings. :)

ArielRGH said:
    Shoxremi said:

Asking for a friend.

Dimension-Z's NGS Anagenessis 2 works like a charm in generations 4 to 7 (Genesis 3). But I have yet to make NGS2 work well on the G8 products. I tried to apply it to Victoria 8, and gives it a horrible yellowish tone that was quite hard to remove. Even when I tweaked the settings for the skin to look decent, it was still uneven, the legs were a completely different colour than the arms (see the file attached). Dimension-Z has written in the forums here and in his DeviantArt that he's working on his NGS3, which will have support for G8, and that it's almost done. The last update he posted he said that it was essentially finished with Chromatic SSS, but he wanted the Mono SSS to look exactly the same, and he was still working on that. (If I were him I would drop completely the Mono thing and release the product already, with the Chromatic mode only cheeky)

Update: I just went to Dimension-Z's DeviantArt. Looks like he just made NGS3 work in mono mode. I guess NGS3 will be released real soon.

Divamakeup's Altern8, as the name suggests, is designed for Genesis 8 figures, with support for G3 figures. I read that with a few extra tweaks you could even make it work with G2. Plus, Divamakeup addressed several extra points, namely: presets to make the genitals work from the beginning (Dimension-Z got criticized for that, so he made a special script to make the gens work with NGS2. NGS3 totally does support genitals, as he's shown in several very NSFW renders in his DeviantArt), a special preset for the sclera, plus she added light presets and HDR backgrounds for you to test the lights. 

Thank you for the run down of the products! :D I appreciate you helping to answer questions, that's really sweet of you! heart I'm trying to keep up with all the questions across the different forum posts but sometimes I'm a bit slow as I have to get some stuff done around the house too (stupid real life interfering with my Daz time! lol). I appreciate you helping and giving feedback on the product!

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

If you open the main shop page without being logged in, (I use Firefox's Private Window,) Altern8 is in the #1 spot, top row, for What's Hot. Congratulations, Diva, on a well deserved honor.

L'Adair said:

If you open the main shop page without being logged in, (I use Firefox's Private Window,) Altern8 is in the #1 spot, top row, for What's Hot. Congratulations, Diva, on a well deserved honor.

Whoa! SWEET! That's good news indeed! :D Thank you, L'Adair for letting me know! hahah That's exciting! laugh

• ChadCryptoChadCrypto Posts: 596
    L'Adair said:

As it should be. Such a cool tool. It's an awesome time to be in the Daz world! How time has flown by and now such awesome magic to help us!  Thanks @DivaMakeup cool

• Some test renders on a character of mine. Altern8 definitely gives a bit more texture. Render times increased ever so slightly for me. For first scene, for example, original character took approx. 9 min 30 sec. First Altern8 test took 11 min; second test took 10 min.

Great example and really great looking character!

• PatroklosPatroklos Posts: 533

Titus F Mats, Altern8 Edward no maps, settings out of the box, very impressive indeed, most realistic human skin I have achieved yet.

Don't know about speed, started render ans went to bed. I wish the system would leave a note of time and iterations.

Look foreward to tinkering a bit.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Congratulaions Diva - I bought it after seeing some of the promos and I am now using it on some of my recent images and it has significantly improved a number of them. There are some very useful and handy render settings as well - so great to have one click solutions for things. A very good product that will get a LOT of use!

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,557
    edited April 2018

Post edited by Noah LGP on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987

Congrats on a great product, Divamakeup!

Instabuy... just now, I have to wait another two weeks before I'm back at my render PC to have your product work its magic! smiley

• PatroklosPatroklos Posts: 533
    Patroklos said:

Titus F Mats, Altern8 Edward no maps, settings out of the box, very impressive indeed, most realistic human skin I have achieved yet.

Don't know about speed, started render ans went to bed. I wish the system would leave a note of time and iterations.

Look foreward to tinkering a bit.

Have done a bit of tinkering with the settings, and in general they seem very flexible. I particularly like the way that details in the original mat are revealed as though a "mask" is removed.

The only limitation that I have noticed so far is that all of the SSS settings are a shade of blue, which enables changes to the amount of red tint in the mat, but is not so useful for altering the amount of yellow. I can see that offering  additional colours such as yellow presets as well might lead to a confusing number of options, but as things stand I feel that the occaisional manual adjustment will be necessary to get a close match to a desired skin tone.

However, after a quick look I feel that Altern8 looks to be a very good product.

I will post a copy of my render when it is finished.

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,588

I purchased this as soon as it came out. If it does what you advertize it will be a great buy. When I have time I will test it out. Thanks for new tools!

• Mart1n71Mart1n71 Posts: 126
    ArielRGH said:
    Shoxremi said:

Dimension-Z's NGS Anagenessis 2 works like a charm in generations 4 to 7 (Genesis 3). But I have yet to make NGS2 work well on the G8 products. I tried to apply it to Victoria 8, and it gives her a horrible yellowish tone that was quite hard to remove. Even when I tweaked the settings for the skin to look decent, it was still uneven, the legs were a completely different colour than the arms (see the file attached). Dimension-Z has written in the forums here and in his DeviantArt that he's working on his NGS3, which will have support for G8, and that it's almost done. The last update he posted he said that it was essentially finished with Chromatic SSS, but he wanted the Mono SSS to look exactly the same, and he was still working on that. (If I were him I would drop completely the Mono thing and release the product already, with the Chromatic mode only cheeky)

Bear in mind NGS2 was released before G8 and G8 introduced dual lobe specularity. NGS2 uses top coat reflectivity to produce skin glossiness, but the script doesn’t change or remove the Dual Lobe Specularity, so just adds on top of it making G8 very odd looking. I found better results on G8 by removing the Dual Lobe and sticking with NGS2’s top coat settings. 

I have only done one nsfw render using Altern8, but I was very impressed with the result. 

Mart1n71 said:
    ArielRGH said:
    Shoxremi said:

Bear in mind NGS2 was released before G8 and G8 introduced dual lobe specularity. NGS2 uses top coat reflectivity to produce skin glossiness, but the script doesn’t change or remove the Dual Lobe Specularity, so just adds on top of it making G8 very odd looking. I found better results on G8 by removing the Dual Lobe and sticking with NGS2’s top coat settings. 

I have only done one nsfw render using Altern8, but I was very impressed with the result. 

I know about dual lobe specularity. First thing I did was kill it, as they recommended in the NGS2 thread in the PA forum. I read ALL forty-something pages, LOL. That is how I obtained the image I uploaded. But now there's Altern8. And NGS3 is coming real soon. Too bad it won't come cheap.

ArielRGH said:

Okay. Quick render of V8 with her V8 maps preset, plus Altern8 sclera, 75% translucency and a lips preset. EJ Vera's eyes and AprilYSH's Voss hair and OnFleek eyebrows. It does look better to me than the vanilla skin.

Thank you for posting the render! :) 

You might use a lower setting on the Sclera as the eyes look a tad blood-shot. But it's a lovely render! Thank you for show us! laugh

Sure, Diva. I was just testing it. Thank you for everything!