WHY Has Studio Started Crashing So Often?

So in the last two weeks I have had numerous crashes in Studio.  And not on just one machine, on both machines.  Not a memory problem, some of these scenes only have one figure in them.  I render complex, memory heavy scenes all the time with no issues.  I am getting corrupted save files as well. The new laptop, which is even more powerful than my PC is also having this issue.  I am not the only one either.  And, scenes that I have saved and rendered with zero problems, now crash every time I try and render them.  I was rendering a scene (not complex at all, one G8F female, a stand and a light set that's it.  All of which I've used before.  I started rendering it, noticed the pose wasn't quite right, cancelled the render, fixed the pose, hit render and it crashed.  I am past frustrated, I don't have time to rerender a scene 8 times!  And saving it lately has not done much good since have the time the saved file seems to be corrupt and won't load.  So I have to start from scratch both times.  And its not my equipment, I have two completely different systems.

Comments

• StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666

Hi,

I too am having a similar issue. Nothing has changed with my rig but I've been getting the "blue screen of death" error for the past two weeks. I've updated drivers, etc., and it hasn't stopped the crashing behavior. I'm inclined to think it was one (or two) of the bazillion Windows 10 updates that has created the issue.

Trish

• Have you tried downgrading your drivers, to an earlier version?

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Have you tried downgrading your drivers, to an earlier version?

I haven't upgraded them.  The same version I have been using for the last year on the PC.

edited April 2018

Also, I don't have Windows 10 on the PC and don't allow it to update.  I have Windows 7 on the PC, and Windows 10 on the laptop (which unfortunately does force me to update periodically, The laptop is two months old).  Several people on Novica's thread have also said this was happening.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,672

What version of DS are you using, if I may ask?

The latest version on the laptop.  As well the latest beta.  On the PC its probably a version behind, but the latest version of the beta.  I've tried on all 4 installations.

• SempieSempie Posts: 651
    edited April 2018

It may be the Windows updates. My Poser 7 suddenly freezes all of the time om my Windows 7, since a day or two. Poser 11 is still unaffected. VLC player is crashing a lot.

Post edited by Sempie on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

When I heard about the issue with Intel chips, and how the updates would hurt performance, I've refused to update my render machine. I have the Pro version of Win10 on that computer, and I followed instructions I found online to force the system to ask before downloading and updating. Since I stopped updating, I get an annoying popup once or twice a day. But that computer doesn't go online, so I'm not going to update until the darn thing refuses to work if I don't!

Anyway… I have been dealing with crashes for months, not just recently. Here are the things I know cause DS to crash for me:

• Loading a saved file with a Centaur 7 figure in it crashes DS in the process of loading the file.
      • Solution: Clear the DSON cache before loading.
    • When rendering one scene while one or more render windows are still open. This only happens when the video card runs out of memory to handle the last render.
      • My guess is the software has a problem switching to CPU mode when there is still memory in use on the card from the other render(s).
    • Randomly crashes when I use the Geometry Editor to "Delete Hidden Polygons."
      • One instance that is repeatable is trying to remove polygons of an object I've duplicated. If I need to separate part of an object this way, I have to load one copy of the object; select, hide and delete the specific polygons; and then load another copy of the object. (I also rename the modified object and save my scene, but I don't know that either of those help to prevent the crash.)
      • Huge numbers of polys, in the 5-6 digit range, (or higher,) will crash DS if done well into the session. I usually remember to save the scene before deleting polys, so if it crashes, I haven't lost anything up to that point. I have no idea if this is a memory issue or something else. When I restart DS and then delete those polygons before doing anything else, DS does not crash.

In the cases above DS crashes but does not generate a report. One moment the program is open, the next moment it is not.

There are other instances of DS crashing on me, some with reports, some without. For these other crashes, I have no idea what is the cause.

When I look at the three listed above, it seems to me these are things that could be fixed in the code, especially the issue with the Centaur. I don't have Poser and have no need for the DSON cache. Why isn't there an option to disable it? Is it also used for something other than making Daz DSON products work in Poser? And if G3/G8 are not supported by Poser, why does DS create DSON cache files for them?

I have had only one "Blue screen of death" on the Win10 machine, and I was running DS at the time.

I have had once instance of the screen going totally wonky with weird stuff on the screen, nothing responding, and the computer then rebooted automatically. I suspect that was my video card, however, I was in DS at the time.

The Win10 computer is specifically for graphics, with DS being the primary program used. Photoshop CS6 and Irfanview are the next most frequently used programs with Hexagon starting to catch up. DIM is installed, but I download with my HP and move the files over via the network, running DIM in offline mode 99.9% of the time. Other programs on that computer are either graphics or 3D related, seldom if ever used. (I've got a lot to learn!)

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,505

This is the most unstable version of Studio I've used since the beta days. Camera control problems, multiple selections on the Scene tab when you click on a single item, and now Powerpose doesn't seem to work properly. I've also heard from users that say that portions of renders come out faded or missing. Really hope these issues can be fixed soon.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    edited April 2018

My studio has aways been stable until last fall. Fall creators update, and new version of daz has been bad for me. I tried to uninstall this verion of studio and revert but my old installers don't work. I did remove fall creators, but I dread new updates from microsoft now. I only managed to turn them off after chaning my wifi connection to metered.

I uninstalled Fall creators, and had icreased performance by increasing virtual memory, but this version of studio seems very memory resource intensive.

Post edited by Serene Night on

This is the most unstable version of Studio I've used since the beta days. Camera control problems, multiple selections on the Scene tab when you click on a single item, and now Powerpose doesn't seem to work properly. I've also heard from users that say that portions of renders come out faded or missing. Really hope these issues can be fixed soon.

Hmm. Guess I should add that the reasons for crashing I've listed above have been around for several versions, not just the current 4.10. I've always had problems with "multiple selections on the Scene tab when you click on a single item" since I started with version 4.6, along with DS parenting the highlighted item to another when all I'm doing is clicking on the Eye icons to hide other objects, not dragging anything. (For the first issue, using the arrow up/down keys seems to work the best at unselecting all but one line in the scene tab.)

I have not exprerienced Camera control problems, nor have portions of my renders been faded or missing.

There is a known issue when using "Chromatic" instead of Mono in the SSS settings, where some pixels will be rendered transparent. That is an Iray issue, and the solution is to have Draw Dome on, (not always convenient,) or change that SSS setting to Mono.

All that said, I still think Daz jumped the gun on releasing dForce when they did, and that it still needs refinement. It is much more stable now, though, than it was when the first 4.10 beta came out. I'm really hoping for further improvements when the 4.11 beta is released, as I've seen several updates to dForce in the logs.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922
    edited April 2018

My problems were with extremely hung and jerky viewport responses in the viewport when I had Translate or such gizmos selected. And it is not an intel CPU bug or the patch for that bug or anything to do with Windows 10.

It started and persisted through all version, release & beta of DAZ Studio 4.10.x. What finally got it to go away, mostly, is that I lowered in the DAZ Studio configuation, for graphics usage, to be as low as possible, opting out of the high quality settings for the preview viewport 100% to lowest quality.

That did the trick although of course the bug(s) are really not fixed because my laptop had the 'middle of the road' quality settings and worked fine with DAZ Studio 4.9.x and earlier. I didn't then & don't now do iRay previews but 'texture shaded' (openGL)

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited April 2018
    L'Adair said:

When I heard about the issue with Intel chips, and how the updates would hurt performance, I've refused to update my render machine. I have the Pro version of Win10 on that computer, and I followed instructions I found online to force the system to ask before downloading and updating. Since I stopped updating, I get an annoying popup once or twice a day. But that computer doesn't go online, so I'm not going to update until the darn thing refuses to work if I don't!

Anyway… I have been dealing with crashes for months, not just recently. Here are the things I know cause DS to crash for me:

• Loading a saved file with a Centaur 7 figure in it crashes DS in the process of loading the file.
      • Solution: Clear the DSON cache before loading.
    • When rendering one scene while one or more render windows are still open. This only happens when the video card runs out of memory to handle the last render.
      • My guess is the software has a problem switching to CPU mode when there is still memory in use on the card from the other render(s).
    • Randomly crashes when I use the Geometry Editor to "Delete Hidden Polygons."
      • One instance that is repeatable is trying to remove polygons of an object I've duplicated. If I need to separate part of an object this way, I have to load one copy of the object; select, hide and delete the specific polygons; and then load another copy of the object. (I also rename the modified object and save my scene, but I don't know that either of those help to prevent the crash.)
      • Huge numbers of polys, in the 5-6 digit range, (or higher,) will crash DS if done well into the session. I usually remember to save the scene before deleting polys, so if it crashes, I haven't lost anything up to that point. I have no idea if this is a memory issue or something else. When I restart DS and then delete those polygons before doing anything else, DS does not crash.

In the cases above DS crashes but does not generate a report. One moment the program is open, the next moment it is not.

There are other instances of DS crashing on me, some with reports, some without. For these other crashes, I have no idea what is the cause.

When I look at the three listed above, it seems to me these are things that could be fixed in the code, especially the issue with the Centaur. I don't have Poser and have no need for the DSON cache. Why isn't there an option to disable it? Is it also used for something other than making Daz DSON products work in Poser? And if G3/G8 are not supported by Poser, why does DS create DSON cache files for them?

I have had only one "Blue screen of death" on the Win10 machine, and I was running DS at the time.

I have had once instance of the screen going totally wonky with weird stuff on the screen, nothing responding, and the computer then rebooted automatically. I suspect that was my video card, however, I was in DS at the time.

The Win10 computer is specifically for graphics, with DS being the primary program used. Photoshop CS6 and Irfanview are the next most frequently used programs with Hexagon starting to catch up. DIM is installed, but I download with my HP and move the files over via the network, running DIM in offline mode 99.9% of the time. Other programs on that computer are either graphics or 3D related, seldom if ever used. (I've got a lot to learn!)

I did the same thing with my win10 pro laptop. I stop letting it update a few months back as well because every dam windows updates kepts screwing with my lap top,  it seemed like every other updated was turning things back on I had off, windows update would keep resetting the telemetry, and Katana  etc. it took me weeks to get it figured out everytime win10 updated. so I could run it again I take it offline and I use the no update script I got Krebs security online back a few ago.

The only thing that makes my Win 7pro  PC  which is my render machine Blue screen is when trying to use Daz Deforce, it gives me BSOD about 50% of the time, so I stopped using it. I haven't updates my win7 pc since 11/2017 for the same reason as you, because the intel graphic component that Microsoft put out in windows update really messes with PC performance.  and I can't get firmware updates for my PC anymore and lastly once you install those intel graphic component  there is no way to remove it  even in windows 7  Ask my hubby he did the IGC update and is now stuck with a brick for a computer. .  that is why stop taking updates too

Post edited by Ivy on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Oh GOOD! I was worried it was just me. Yeah, the past week and a half or so I've noticed WAAAY more crashes. I was worried I might have a virus or an overheating problem with my graphics card - but all my other programs seem to be pretty stable. Daz Studio, however, has been crashing a lot lately.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited April 2018

Is it maybe an update to one of the products? Like maybe the base morph packages that were just recently updated (or the starter essentials or whatever it was)? I'm just grasping at straws and trying to think of something that everyone's likely to have since we all use different OS's.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

are y'all running dforce simulations when you're having crash problems? 

i've had a few since i've been using dforce.

j

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159

I've only been using Daz Studio for a few months. I'd have the occasional crash if I push with a complex scene but now I'm getting crashes (it simply closes down) when I'm simply putting hair and clothes onto up my figures. It's happening far more often, sometimes several times in an hour. I'm on a high end iMac, which I know isn't optimal but, I'm definately noticing a difference over the past performance.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806

I started having crashes last week. The pattern was that after I did one Iray render, it would crash shortly after starting a second render of the same scene. No error logging from the crash. I did clear my DSON cache and updated my Nvidia drivers to see if that would help and it's been OK, but I haven't done that many renders since I updated them.

edited April 2018

This is what happens to me now.. 2 characters, a house, a bike. Some lights. CRASH. Halfway through rendering.

I've rendered scenes far larger, with muliple characters, complicated situations... And yet... Ugh....

error.JPG
    1221 x 797 - 155K
    Post edited by Serene Night on

This is what happens to me now.. 2 characters, a house, a bike. Some lights. CRASH. Halfway through rendering.

I've rendered scenes far larger, with muliple characters, complicated situations... And yet... Ugh....

Well the good news is that at 65% through you can be almost certain it has nothing to do with out of memory but an actual bug in DAZ Studio. Scene there looks great! Hope you can get it to render.

I’ve been getting those crashes for months now. I hope I can render it because it sure looks cute 

I sometimes get a crash also when autofit Older clothing to gen 8 male.

edited April 2018
    AllenArt said:

Is it maybe an update to one of the products? Like maybe the base morph packages that were just recently updated (or the starter essentials or whatever it was)? I'm just grasping at straws and trying to think of something that everyone's likely to have since we all use different OS's.

Laurie

@AllenArt

I think you're onto something, Laurie.  I keep my render computer offline and have been refusing the nagging notifications to update Win10, so I know it's not caused by an update to my OS.

I've noticed some other issues besides crashing. For example. I was trying to set up a dForce simulation using the timeline option. I started with G8F from the A-Pose and applied a pose at Frame 30. I then modified the pose until I had exactly what I wanted. I saved that as a pose preset. I moved back to Frame 0 and my figure went all wonky, instead of going back to the A-Pose. I used the menu Edit->Figure->Clear Animation->Figure Pose to start over. Although there was already a Key frame set, I added a keyframe to Frame 0, moved to Frame 30 and applied my pose preset. Moved back to Frame 0 and the same wonkiness was there. Again. After numerous attempts to solve my problem, I closed down the computer and came back to it today. The problem persisted.

I finally got Frame 0 to have the A-Pose and Frame 30 to have the saved pose by loading a new G8F into the scene, saving the A-Pose as a pose preset, applying the custom pose at Frame 30, moving to Frame 0 and applying my new A-Pose preset.

I have never had to jump through so many hoops before. I have never had a pose at Frame X do weird things to the pose at Frame 0. Either Frame 0 remained whatever pose was there initially, or the pose at Frame X was also the pose at Frame 0.

I suspect most of us installed the Starter Essentials updates last week. I hate to say it, but those updates are the common denominator. Unless this problem started before the updates…? It's not like Daz Studio updated and now we're all having issues. It makes no sense that a program installed on PCs and Macs, with multiple operating systems, would suddenly start crashing when nothing has changed in the program. It has to be something we've all downloaded and installed.

Post edited by L'Adair on
    edited April 2018

I’ve been getting those crashes for months now. I hope I can render it because it sure looks cute 

I sometimes get a crash also when autofit Older clothing to gen 8 male.

Well I had a problem when I would autofit Callie 6 Pro Bundle clothing for G2F, eg Cookie Stewardess, on G3F characters such as Girl 7 or Victoria 7, all of them in fact, DAZ would crash dump. I submitted a ticket with details on how to replicate, the did & eventually the bug was fixed.

Where I haven't had luck is when submitting iRay bug, even glaring ones the I can replicate again & again & get those instructions to them on how to replicate. When I submit those sort of bugs eventually I get a response that it isn't actually a bug.However as you are seeing on your crash there at 65% there are iRay render bugs.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
    L'Adair said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

@AllenArt

I think you're onto something, Laurie.  I keep my render computer offline and have been refusing the nagging notifications to update Win10, so I know it's not caused by an update to my OS.

I've noticed some other issues besides crashing. For example. I was trying to set up a dForce simulation using the timeline option. I started with G8F from the A-Pose and applied a pose at Frame 30. I then modified the pose until I had exactly what I wanted. I saved that as a pose preset. I moved back to Frame 0 and my figure went all wonky, instead of going back to the A-Pose. I used the menu Edit->Figure->Clear Animation->Figure Pose to start over. Although there was already a Key frame set, I added a keyframe to Frame 0, moved to Frame 30 and applied my pose preset. Moved back to Frame 0 and the same wonkiness was there. Again. After numerous attempts to solve my problem, I closed down the computer and came back to it today. The problem persisted.

I finally got Frame 0 to have the A-Pose and Frame 30 to have the saved pose by loading a new G8F into the scene, saving the A-Pose as a pose preset, applying the custom pose at Frame 30, moving to Frame 0 and applying my new A-Pose preset.

I have never had to jump through so many hoops before. I have never had a pose at Frame X do weird things to the pose at Frame 0. Either Frame 0 remained whatever pose was there initially, or the pose at Frame X was also the pose at Frame 0.

I suspect most of us installed the Starter Essentials updates last week. I hate to say it, but those updates are the common denominator. Unless this problem started before the updates…? It's not like Daz Studio updated and now we're all having issues. It makes no sense that a program installed on PCs and Macs, with multiple operating systems, would suddenly start crashing when nothing has changed in the program. It has to be something we've all downloaded and installed.

You know, I think you are right.  I just loaded those onto the laptop (I've been doing my custom categories slowly on the laptop, I'm revamping my custom categories so I am loading things slowly.) 

Also, if you wouldn't mind sending me a link to the directions for turning off the updates on Windows 10 I would be most grateful.

And no, I was not using dforce for 75% of the stuff that crashed.  I've always had random crashes once in a long while but I'm literally crashing every day now. I do at least two renders a day and honestly, its becoming a real issue as far as my workflow and productivity go. I can't redo a simple scene 8 times and be productive.  Especially since half the time, my save file is corrupted and unusable. (on two completely different machines, and on 3 different versions of 4.10.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

The noticeable increase in crashes has been going on for around three weeks here, which is prior to the Starter Essentials updates. Dforce has seldom been involved. It makes me feel on edge the whole time something is rendering because it's happened more than once when a render has been on the go for a couple of hours and is well past sixty per cent completed. I haven't got that kind of time to waste and I doubt anyone else has either.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513

I haven't had DS crash at all recently and you guys are terrifying me.

• Welcome to my world. Daz has always been buggy for me, but I just chalked that up to running it on a laptop and note a full blown, peorful desktop rig. Lately, however, its been crashing like there's not tomorrow. I'd really like Daz to look into this. Whatever is happening, it does not sound like an isolated case. I do very simple scenes, with one or two characters and a simple backdrop due ot the limitations of my machine and I'm sorry, this should not be happening.

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    L'Adair said:

I have not downloaded these updates, and I have not had any crashes recently.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560

..interesting.  I'm using the 4.10.0.123 Beta on W7 SP1 and not experienced this level of instability.  According to task manager, Postgre CMS is running (though no blue highlighting in the content tab).  I disabled updates back on 09/30/2016 when MS changed updating for W7/8.1 from providing individual files to the bundled rollup format.  I am also running on an Nvidia driver from 2015 that I rolled back to after experiencing frequent BSODs.

Interestingly I find this version of the beta to be one of the most stable releases I have ever used.

Haven't experienced a crash while rendering in either Iray or 3DL and my system only has 11 GB of available memory after Windows and system utilities (during big Iray jobs it would dump to to the virtual memory HDD partition). 

Have not installed the Starter Essential updates either.