What's up with the Black Leather Jacket?

Comments

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited March 2018
    nicstt said:
    Carola O said:

Basic rig might be easy for those that know how to do it.. but for those of us that don't have a clue.. it's really not. And like Griffin I sure as h*** hope this is a one time thing only.

After importing the item, load Genesis 8 Female (or the intended target).

You need the Transfer Utility, which is accessible in a couple of ways, one such:

Edit > Object > Transfer Utility

Source dropdown: Genesis 8 Female.

Destination: the item you imported (such as the jacket).

Leave everything as default will give a basic rig.

Edit: Click Accept

If you want to save the item for reuse, you can save as a subset, but probably better to save as a scene/prop asset

File > Save As > Support Asset > Figure/Prop Asset

Edit2

Unparent/Unfit before saving, just in case (no idea of what, as no clue if trying to save when fitted/parented can cause issues).

Thanks for the instructions. I've never rigged anything but eventually want to make clothes, so I better learn how. I bought it this morning, totally disregarding the "FBX." I thought it was a prefix for a vendor, like so many they use these days. It was early in the morning and I wasn't fully awake. Got some good deals though, so I'll give it a whirl.

Post edited by Llynara on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Based on what I see in the store, I'm pretty sure…

FBX products are targeting Maya users.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,747

It's not even on sale though. It's full price. 

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,965

It was on sale earlier though, and then they had an issue with the product download links. Now that it's been mentioned in a few threads, I would expect it will go back on sale like it was a few hours ago.

• It's not even on sale though. It's full price. 

Maybe the vender decided to do a full daz conversion based on all the comments and the price has been adjusted to dissuade new purchases? Gotta say, they'd probably make more cash on a full daz item.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,747

And I don't understand the smoke product either. Is that for Photoshop? No program is listed.. And is the $ off ALL Daz Originals, even new ones and PC items? This is a weird sales day.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    IMO the primary selling point of Daz Studio products is the general ease of use. If I wanted to buy unrigged models like this there are dozens of places on the net to do that. If Daz intends to bridge over to the Maya crowd they are going to need to create a section category for Maya in order to prevent this kind of confusion. If the PA intends on selling this item in the Daz Store for Genesis 8, they should rig the item before selling it. The jacket looks really cool, no doubt, but please don't do this again.
  • The discount is back - I suspect it was lost while fixing the download links.

edited March 2018

I imported it and was able to fit it. I can see surfaces in the surfaces tab, everything looks correct. But I cannot see the actual item. It's there in the scene listing, fitted to G8F, but my G8F is totally naked in the preview window and an Iray render. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. 

ETA: Here she is with some undergarments on, wondering where her jacket is. Maybe I imported it wrong?

FBX problem.PNG
    2368 x 1999 - 2M
  • AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,965

Discounts on DAZ originals exclude new and PC+, which is typical, and it says it at the bottom of the sales page.

Since the smoke products contain alphas, you could in theory use them as billboards in a 3D application, but based on the product description they do not come with billboards pre-built so you'd have to set the materials up yourself. I expect the common use case is to use them with an image editing application.

• backgroundbackground Posts: 360

I bought this and was able to sort of rig it using ther transfer utility.

If you imported the .obj version, it is very small. You would need to scale it up about x10000 to get the approximate correct size. If you import the FBX version it comes in much better.

Because of the wide and high neck the collar gets affected by the head and neck movement way too much, so I will need to look at that. Also the low poly count means there is all kind of stretching if you raise the arms. Still an interesting item to play with. It appears to have been made with Zbrush.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,328
    edited March 2018
    If you imported the .obj version, it is very small. You would need to scale it up about x10000 to get the approximate correct size.

Which preset did you use for the OBJ import? If you mean 10,000% rathr than x10,000 it sounds as if you used one of the 1 unti = 1m presets, and it wanted the DS preset (units are cm).

Edited because I was confusing myself.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Llynara said:

I imported it and was able to fit it. I can see surfaces in the surfaces tab, everything looks correct. But I cannot see the actual item. It's there in the scene listing, fitted to G8F, but my G8F is totally naked in the preview window and an Iray render. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. 

ETA: Here she is with some undergarments on, wondering where her jacket is. Maybe I imported it wrong?

How did you import? if you used OBJ you may have the same preset issues as background above, with the jacket being scaled too small to see with the figure standing there..

edited March 2018

I bought this and was able to sort of rig it using ther transfer utility.

If you imported the .obj version, it is very small. You would need to scale it up about x10000 to get the approximate correct size. If you import the FBX version it comes in much better.

Because of the wide and high neck the collar gets affected by the head and neck movement way too much, so I will need to look at that. Also the low poly count means there is all kind of stretching if you raise the arms. Still an interesting item to play with. It appears to have been made with Zbrush.

Thanks for posting that. I had imported the OBJ. I deleted that and imported the FBX. It shows up fine with all the surfaces. I followed the above instructions with the transfer utility and it looks fine. I had to scale it up to 105% on Celestia and also added a smoothing modifier. 

FBX problem solved.PNG
    2338 x 1818 - 2M
    edited March 2018

And it looks like the textures need to be tweaked too. I put Uber on it, and still looks plasticky, like Poser stuff sometimes does.

I turned Glossy Layered Weight and Glossy Reflectivity down. It looks much better. 

FBX problem2.PNG
    2530 x 1756 - 4M
    FBX problem3.PNG
    2440 x 1770 - 3M
  • xmasrose (aka tulipe)xmasrose (aka tulipe) Posts: 1,403
    edited March 2018

I didn't realise if was a FBX item otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

The problem is all the details are in the texture so all you get is black. If at least it had been white it would have been easier to change the color.

Here out of the box and with a basic red leather shader

essai blouson cuir.jpg
    800 x 527 - 270K
    Post edited by xmasrose (aka tulipe) on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    Llynara said:

And it looks like the textures need to be tweaked too. I put Uber on it, and still looks plasticky, like Poser stuff sometimes does.

I turned Glossy Layered Weight and Glossy Reflectivity down. It looks much better. 

Looks better. I'm seeing a lot of poke through and some distortion at the collar. Looks like it needs quite a few joint controlled morphs and maybe some weight mapping (I think, I'm not that familiar with clothing creation). It does look like it needs quite a bit of work to get it to work right. Sadly I don't have the time or the skills to make it workable. Paying that much for an item that needs that much work to get it to work right, definitely a hard pass for me. I'm sure that I'm not their target demographic though. 

It's a big disappointment for me, as I got pretty happy when I first saw it - I was like "that's a nice looking photo-realistic jacket -into my cart it goes!". lol Thank goodness I checked the forum before checking out and saw this thread. 

Just for fun, I tried it in Dforce. It held up well, didn't blow up with default settings. It did some weird pointy things in the elbows though. Tried in VWD too. At first it did nothing, so I adjusted the settings and it blew away. LMAO I'll stick to the conforming version!

I agree, Xmasrose. Additional textures would be nice!

FBX problem4.PNG
    2911 x 1933 - 4M
    edited March 2018
    Llynara said:

Looks better. I'm seeing a lot of poke through and some distortion at the collar. Looks like it needs quite a few joint controlled morphs and maybe some weight mapping (I think, I'm not that familiar with clothing creation). It does look like it needs quite a bit of work to get it to work right. Sadly I don't have the time or the skills to make it workable. Paying that much for an item that needs that much work to get it to work right, definitely a hard pass for me. I'm sure that I'm not their target demographic though. 

It's a big disappointment for me, as I got pretty happy when I first saw it - I was like "that's a nice looking photo-realistic jacket -into my cart it goes!". lol Thank goodness I checked the forum before checking out and saw this thread. 

I agree, it's nice but takes a bit of work to be usable in DAZ. I'm not against learning how to do that, but fair warning would be nice. I guess I need to pay better attention to labels, but this is the DAZ store and it was mixed in with products that work out of the box. I can't be the only one that picked this up without realizing it was not rigged or "DAZ ready."

LOL. She doesn't look happy about her jacket! 

I didn't realise if was a FBX item otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

The problem is all the details are in the texture so all you get is black. If at least it had been white it would have been easier to change the color.

Here out of the box and with a basic red leather shader

Llynara said:
    Llynara said:

I agree, it's nice but takes a bit of work to be usable in DAZ. I'm not against learning how to do that, but fair warning would be nice. I guess I need to pay better attention to labels, but this is the DAZ store and it was mixed in with products that work out of the box. I can't be the only one that picked this up without realizing it was not rigged or "DAZ ready."

Exactly! A bit more of a warning would have been nice - as the VAST majority of the items in the store are useable "out of the box" (this is the first "single" item I've, personally, seen in the store that wasn't). The word "Unrigged" needs to be in the product's title, imo. I'm willing to bet that several people have bought this item not realizing it wasn't usuable out of the box.

• Thanks all for the pictures and stuff. Definetely a pass for me. Thats ok. Now I know what results come from fbx in daz.

edited March 2018

One more thing: I assumed that since we're fitting this to a figure with the transfer utility that we could fit it to any of the more recent ones. Nope. I tested it on Genesis 1, 2 and 3. Even if you put the figure in the A pose, it does this wonky thing: 

You have to fit it to G8F first. If you SY's backwards compatibility clones (G8 to G3, G3 to G1), you can autofit to G3. Valzheimer has clones for G3 to G2. Transfer utiility didn't even see the V3 I tried it on. I guess it doesn't work on the older weight mapped figures. 

FBX problem5.PNG
    2115 x 1357 - 2M
    FBX problem5b.PNG
    2099 x 1433 - 2M
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,373
    Llynara said:
    Llynara said:

Yep. I too purchased it without reading. I used it as one of the triggers for the $30- rebate on DOs.; so I can't really return it. It was my mistake and I'll live with it. And overall I'm happy with today's deals

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,993

And I don't understand the smoke product either. Is that for Photoshop? No program is listed.. And is the $ off ALL Daz Originals, even new ones and PC items? This is a weird sales day.

Yes, that would be for Photoshop or Gimp - simple overlays to get your effect. They look neat, though, especially for the chimney smoke-cloud.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,146
    Llynara said:
    Llynara said:

Yep. I too purchased it without reading. I used it as one of the triggers for the $30- rebate on DOs.; so I can't really return it. It was my mistake and I'll live with it. And overall I'm happy with today's deals

Maybe you can ask to trade it out for a similarly priced newly mad item that you can use?

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528

Now the leather jacket seems to have lost it's discount...

Yep, no intro discount. It's showing full price. indecision

I was tempted to get it to see if I could figure out how to rig it and then post the tutorial for others. But no way am I paying $20 for a product that I have to rig myself and that I may not be able to even figure out how to. I really hope that "rig it yourself" products aren't going to become common here. It was super disappointing to me to find that jacket isn't actually usable out of the box. I don't know anything about rigging clothing and I'm sure I'm not the only one. :(

Sheesh! This hobby takes up too much of my time as it is... If I had to rig my own clothing, the hobby would probably have to go.

Some clothing items like T-shirts, some shorts and pants need no or almost no extra work other than the transfer utility. I can tell just by having made a lot of clothing for use in Daz that this particular item is going to need post-transfer work to make it usable. The Daz transfer utility should really be thought of as a tool that does 90% of the work of rigging clothing for you, you still need to do the remaining 10% manually to make an outfit that looks good when you pose the figure. Depending on the outfit that remaining 10% can take a long while, especially for the novice user. This item is going to need a fair bit of work post-transfer in the neck area to prevent that high collar from doing all sorts of weird distortions when you pose the figure. For an advanced user such as myself it's not a difficult task to finish an item like that off but for a novice it's going to be a bit of a hassel.

Whoever made the item is obviously a skilled user and I'm perplexed why they didn't take the time to finish it off properly for Daz users rather than expecting the end user to do the work for them. It really wouldn't take an advanced user all that long to do it properly.

Now the leather jacket seems to have lost it's discount...

Yep, no intro discount. It's showing full price. indecision

I was tempted to get it to see if I could figure out how to rig it and then post the tutorial for others. But no way am I paying $20 for a product that I have to rig myself and that I may not be able to even figure out how to. I really hope that "rig it yourself" products aren't going to become common here. It was super disappointing to me to find that jacket isn't actually usable out of the box. I don't know anything about rigging clothing and I'm sure I'm not the only one. :(

Sheesh! This hobby takes up too much of my time as it is... If I had to rig my own clothing, the hobby would probably have to go.

Whoever made the item is obviously a skilled user and I'm perplexed why they didn't take the time to finish it off properly for Daz users rather than expecting the end user to do the work for them. It really wouldn't take an advanced user all that long to do it properly.

That's what I was thinking! The jacket looks AWESOME and I'm sure if they had teamed up with an experience rigger they both would make some good money on the item! It kiills me to see that the item is that PA's first item and they probably aren't going to sell nearlly as many copies of the jacket due to lack of rigging. It probably isn't going to give the PA a very good feeling - I DO hope they stick with it though and next time team up with an experienced clothing rigger. They're obviously QUITE tallented when it comes to clothing creation and I'm sure they will be very successful here if they rig the clothing or team up with a rigger. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,930
    edited March 2018

a collaboration with someone would have made all the difference even non PA's who rig stuff on this forum

damn I can even model rig and weightpaint stuff but don't consider myself PA level

there are plenty here like Ghastly and Wilmap who totally rock at it

a top I whipped up in about 5 mins in Carrara for G3M ( my prefered base)

Capture.JPG
    1936 x 1048 - 292K
    tops012.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 885K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,930
    edited March 2018

and here are my objs for those who want to practice using the transfer utility cheeky

are for genesis 3 male but you can refit to others after

the original and Zremeshed as seen on left  (yes I have Zbrush but suck at it) and my extruded cowl scarf (you may want to set its smoothing collision to the top not G3M)

import with Carrara preset chosen

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/5c/b69a816f5ee91fe0f4c77d4cfed4f4.zip

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/c4/1b9b6c0fef7142f34b240a236cd745.zip
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/c4/1b9b6c0fef7142f34b240a236cd745.zip

free to redistribute and use how you wish

shared so you can practice before buying that unrigged jacket!!!

zip
    zip
    atop.zip
    zip
    zip
    cowl scarf.zip
    zip
    zip
    zremeshed top.zip
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on