What kind of clothing are you sorely missing?

Comments

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,702

I've only been doing 3D art for a couple of years now, but it seems like the V4 era had a lot of really big elaborate outfits and armour that I'd love to see brought to the newer gen. I've tried transferring some of those types of outfits to the newer gens but due to their "largeness", things get warped, even with really good transfer scripts like RiversoftArt and Sickleyield's.

We get awesome elaborate outfits like that every once in a while but they're very few and far between:

There are already some amazing V4 era pieces that would be great to be able to use on the new generations.

There are SO MANY great Victoria 4 era pieces and it's such a shame that they don't transfer well via clones or scripts. I think if some took the time to bring those already sculpted gorgeous outfits and updated them for the newer gen, it would be amazingly good! I think a lot of people would love to be able to use those highly detailed and elaborate outfits on the newer generations without the warps and misfits that often come with trying to transfer them ourselves via cones and such. Most automated transfer methods just don't do well with the larger, more elaborate, outfits. Not to mention fiddling with the mats and settings to get them Iray compatible. 

If some of the gorgeous, elaborate V4 outfits could be updated and brought to the newer gen, I think that would be AWESOME! :)

Agreed.  Arki updated The Sylph Outfit for Genesis 8 Female and I would love her to update her other ones as well

There's also the trick of using V4, hiding the head/hands, and using another generation and hiding the body. It helps if you have every morph kit available for V4.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,591

My only mournful note is that all these things would probably be for G8... sadly useless for me. crying  

...mine as well. 

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142

With Riversoft's script, G8 clothing is backward compatible with G3. Even without the script you can do it  yourself with just a little work.

Laurie

• These days, im particularly fond of dforce in both my outfits and hair. I tend to shop primarily for modern, but I love quality period costume. Im not particularly picky about what era the outfit comes from though, as long as its quality and dforce, though dforce is not 100% necessary all the time. A huge bonus for me, which is often the deciding factor in purchasing an oufit, is the inclusion of dirty, bloody, and torn textures. Even if an outfit is fairly basic, if it has distressed textures, its going in the cart.

• AllenArt said:

With Riversoft's script, G8 clothing is backward compatible with G3. Even without the script you can do it  yourself with just a little work.

Laurie

It is on my wishlist, but likely to stay there a while longer.  I still have to autofit back from G3 to G1, and the morphs seem to effectively vanish when I do that.  I read there was a way to transfer morphs, but I don't currently have the knowledge of it.  Usually just easier and quicker to use what already works.

...the G8 ➜ G3 converter will not work on "wearbles" as stated in the product's description.  A lot of PC+ and lower cost DO clothing falls in that category..  For those of us on extremely tight budgets, that is what we tend to purchase, along with heading to Daz's main competitor and haunting free sites (like Wilmap's [who cerates wonderful "everyday" and period clothing]) as we ca still find content that is compatible with older iterations of Genesis there. 

kyoto kid said:

...the G8 ➜ G3 converter will not work on "wearbles" as stated in the product's description.  A lot of PC+ and lower cost DO clothing falls in that category..  For those of us on extremely tight budgets, that is what we tend to purchase, along with heading to Daz's main competitor and haunting free sites (like Wilmap's [who cerates wonderful "everyday" and period clothing]) as we ca still find content that is compatible with older iterations of Genesis there. 

But what's to keep you from loading the "wearable" on Genesis 8 and then resaving as clothing? I'm not sure what you think you can't convert? Some things can't convert it's true....some accessories won't, high heels don't do too well (but can be serviceable), flat shoes convert fine and clothes convert fine too. Hair is even easier to convert.

Laurie

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,963

Are there items that only load the complete outfit and don't load the clothing items separately? I think DAZ shows "wearables" as the file type but that is different from the wearables that the product page talks about.

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,331

I know that Victorian clothing can be used, but they tend to be more “glamorous” outfits which are well suited to rich characters but less so to the average people of a frontier town. I’d like some that are more along the lines of outfits similar to the Netflix show Godless. They look lived in.

This site gives good examples of the costumes in that show: https://clothesonfilm.com/homecoming-betsy-heimann-on-costuming-godless/36539/

They may not appeal to everyone, but if these types of outfits hit the shop I’d snap them up in an instant. 

These clothes are fantastic; Betsy Heimann is really a great costume designer. If her clothes would appear in the Daz shop, it would be an instant buy for me.

Apart from that I would like to have some 18th century costumes for G8/G3/G2 m+f  - and (historical) sandals for G8M!

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    kyoto kid said:

KK  there are in most of the G3 and G8 clothing ,"wearables" that you click on and it loads the entire outfit onto the figure and yup the RSSY converters won't convert that but it does a great job converting the individual items ......ssometimes the older stuff was saved differently  as a scene  or scene subset ,those items just need to be resaved as a support asset/follower/wardrobe/(whtever the item is) and then converted .I've gotten all the converts and now have use of the majority of my older clothing on my newest figures and find the cost balanced out really good

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    kyoto kid said:

You just have to load the individual converted pieces and save as wearable preset.

AllenArt said:
    kyoto kid said:

But what's to keep you from loading the "wearable" on Genesis 8 and then resaving as clothing? I'm not sure what you think you can't convert? Some things can't convert it's true....some accessories won't, high heels don't do too well (but can be serviceable), flat shoes convert fine and clothes convert fine too. Hair is even easier to convert.

Laurie

AllenArt said:
    kyoto kid said:

...the G8 ➜ G3 converter will not work on "wearbles" as stated in the product's description.  A lot of PC+ and lower cost DO clothing falls in that category..  For those of us on extremely tight budgets, that is what we tend to purchase, along with heading to Daz's main competitor and haunting free sites (like Wilmap's [who cerates wonderful "everyday" and period clothing]) as we ca still find content that is compatible with older iterations of Genesis there. 

But what's to keep you from loading the "wearable" on Genesis 8 and then resaving as clothing? I'm not sure what you think you can't convert? Some things can't convert it's true....some accessories won't, high heels don't do too well (but can be serviceable), flat shoes convert fine and clothes convert fine too. Hair is even easier to convert.

Laurie

...I don;'t use G8, I have none of the morphs or shapes. One of the main differences is the change in "default pose" form the traditional "T" pose to "A". 

I am also going on what the converter says in the description: 

The Clothing Converter script does not work with props (e.g., swords, wands, etc) and wearables (e.g., outfits).

edited March 2019
    kyoto kid said:
    AllenArt said:
    kyoto kid said:

Laurie

AllenArt said:
    kyoto kid said:

...the G8 ➜ G3 converter will not work on "wearbles" as stated in the product's description.  A lot of PC+ and lower cost DO clothing falls in that category..  For those of us on extremely tight budgets, that is what we tend to purchase, along with heading to Daz's main competitor and haunting free sites (like Wilmap's [who cerates wonderful "everyday" and period clothing]) as we ca still find content that is compatible with older iterations of Genesis there. 

But what's to keep you from loading the "wearable" on Genesis 8 and then resaving as clothing? I'm not sure what you think you can't convert? Some things can't convert it's true....some accessories won't, high heels don't do too well (but can be serviceable), flat shoes convert fine and clothes convert fine too. Hair is even easier to convert.

Laurie

...I don;'t use G8, I have none of the morphs or shapes. One of the main differences is the change in "default pose" form the traditional "T" pose to "A". 

I am also going on what the converter says in the description: 

The Clothing Converter script does not work with props (e.g., swords, wands, etc) and wearables (e.g., outfits).

You may not use G8, but you HAVE it. All you need is the base to convert stuff over to G3. And there are free pose helpers out there (Sickleyield had some on her DeviantArt page) to help you pose for converting. And it works both directions. Just follow the instructions in reverse.

As far as wearables go, apply them to G8 (if you happen to buy one or have a free one). Then save each item back to the library as an article of clothing (except for props, obviously). All wearables are are a link to things like multiple items of clothing, etc rather than having to load each piece. But you can still load the wearable and then resave each piece. That way Riversoft's converter WILL convert it if you decide to go that route.

You're not stuck with just what's been made for G3. Anything that's been made for G8 also can be worn on G3 with few exceptions.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited March 2019

Although Kimono are awesome at store, I would love to see Korean Hanbak.  I've searched and never found one.

Hanbok.jpg
    1200 x 1420 - 331K
    Post edited by AJ2112 on
  • guitarecguitarec Posts: 43

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet or not - but a proper military styled coveralls / flight suit.  Options for over boots or tucked in for both male and female figures.

Something like this...

• jdavison67jdavison67 Posts: 587

Cool Male clothing across the board. for G2, G3 - G8

Look at video games such as Anthem, Destiny, Injustice 2  for ideas...

the biggest problem is clothing that does not look good in action poses...put your clothng through the sitting,standing, running, jumping, falling down test, if it fails at anyone, you have more work to do...

Men need more cool clothes, long coats, leather jackets, tee shirts that conform and move correctly. Jeans that fit and bend well, that fit over or under shirts and jackets, and can either tuck into boots or cover them.

Cool gear for men  -belts, harnesses, things that can carry stuff like back packs, or gun belts... that move with the character in extreme poses.

Cloaks with hoods that go up and down without distorting.

Cool sun glasses, Hats, Helmets, gauntlets,  shoulder, elbow, knee protectors, and gloves.

Basics - Tee Shirts, Jeans, boots or sneaker, combos...

Why do mens clothes usually sell badly?

Many times, they are poorly designed, and have too few material zones to be useful.

We all want our characters to look cool. 

JD

• jdavison67jdavison67 Posts: 587

Someone needs to solve the button problem in DAZ.

I usually turn the opacity off on any button on any outfit in DAZ, because they distort and destroy the realism in every image.

If i need buttons I make my own out of primitives, or I add them in post.

JD

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

Someone needs to solve the button problem in DAZ.

I usually turn the opacity off on any button on any outfit in DAZ, because they distort and destroy the realism in every image.

If i need buttons I make my own out of primitives, or I add them in post.

JD

Several vendors have 'fixed' this problem by using nodes, then attaching the buttons (and other bits) to the nodes, so they won't distort (one button to one node). This is usually very important for anything meant for dForce.

• LosingSignalLosingSignal Posts: 409
    edited March 2019

What I'm looking most for is a good schoolgirl uniform...

Not really. Actually, Fisty & Darc did a product called Jewelry Basics for Genesis 3. It was one of my favorites because it contained engagement rings, wedding rings, and combination sets, as well as less ornate necklaces than I seem to see. Just a little touch for visual storytelling. But since the rings are props instead of figures, they don't auto fit to Genesis 8 properly. That set, or something similar, for Gen 8 would be a must buy for me.

Post edited by LosingSignal on
  • Decent modern Naval (officer Khakis and enlisted duty blues) and Marine duty iniforms.  Not dress blues or whites but what they would wear shipboard.  Something that could work in a near future spaceship role too.  Also Enterprise/expanse style shipboard duty uniforms will work too

• IchibanIchiban Posts: 113

Pro Wrestling gear like Xena's gear for M4, there are some things on DA but they don't have enough material zones.

• Historical outfits are pretty sparce, often fantasy styledso not accurate. Mostly armour, which wasn't worn very much in reality. Very few 'day' clothes other than the vanilla dark-age tunic fantasy variety.

How about some renaissance merchants? Tudor court? Cavaliers and roundheads? Puritans? Post-reformation protestant clergy (not modern but pre-Victorian)? 18th C Britich Navy? Indian raj? Mughal empire? Chinese imperial court?

Outfits for servants and ordinary folk in Stuart/Georgian /Victorian periods. Appropriate underwear for that period too - starched skirts, shifts under corsets, no knickers - long shirts for men. Dull browns and greys.

Pretty much anything, in fact, as long as it's not another girl-warrior in useless, over-heavy, revealing, partial armour and battle knickers. As if.

• I want 18th century and 19th century fashion but plain. Not fantasy over the top items. But the creators have to go bang for the buck or go bust.

• namtar3dnamtar3d Posts: 243

I think there's a lot of variety, but i'm really mising the "non-DLC era" 

There's some products for V4 or even V3 that already look amazing through years.  I can think on Evenesk Elite ir any other Aery Soul's products, Leisure Suit, Barbarian and many others for V4.  Or Adventuress for V3. 

Those outfits already have amazing textures and detail. 

What we have in Genesis 8? Many times the clothes look poorly detailed, with just a base color or ugly textures and "paper cloth" look like.  

• I would love more non-skimpy Asian fantasy clothes, like the ones from Chinese wuxia films or serials, including armor, etc.

• GuidotoriusGuidotorius Posts: 11
    edited November 2019

I agree with AJ2112! The Korean wave has risen to the level of a tsunami due to the popularity of K-pop and Korean dramas, but somehow DAZ3D doesn't have a hanbok yet. A beautiful and stately form of attire, the hanbok qualifies as a "must-have" to do anything like an homage to Korean drama. The markedly different Chinese and Japanese traditional outfits--though beautiful--cannot be substituted. Anyone familiar with Korean culture can easily tell them apart. Please give us both male and female hanboks for Genesis 8! Thanks in advance!

Korean Family in Hanboks

Here is a link to a webpage explaining the hanbok and detailing a variety of types of hanbok.

http://koreadaebak123.blogspot.com/2016/09/the-traditional-costume-of-south-korea_26.html

Post edited by Guidotorius on
  • evacynevacyn Posts: 960
    I'd love an updated equestrian outfit for both G8F and G8M. Something with additional styles. I have the G3F version by IH Kang but I don't like the boots - anyone have any suggestions for alternatives?
  • To add to requests for uniforms both sci-fi and otherwise, I'd like to see more uniforms with reasonably easy to change rank insignia.

Ideally would like something in a non pajama sci-fi uniform set with the aforementioned insignia, a design that has a style difference between officer and enlisted, with perhaps accesories for specialized crew. As well as at least two textures, dress and standard. 

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

The most glaring omission I know of is a Baseball Uniform.  Then there's AUTHENTIC period wear

AJ2112 said:

Although Kimono are awesome at store, I would love to see Korean Hanbak.  I've searched and never found one.

There's a freebie hanbok for G2F, plus a matching shader package, by kang1hyun (IH Kang here at DAZ) in the Renderosity freebies section. Haven't tried fitting it to G8F, but I know I made it work on G3F and that was pre-d-force.  

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,254

I would like a classic turn of the 20th century Norfolk suit for G8M. The kind of thing that Watson would have worn when he went out into the countryside. 

PoserWorld used to have one for M3. This is it, autofit to G1, no smoothing modifier (obviously). The suit came with boots and stockings as part of the pants model, but those got mauled in the autofit, so were replaced. I'm not at all sure where the boots used came from, but that is another sort of period boot that I would like to be able to find a replacement for. Actually, the clothing modifier from Sickleyeild and Riversoft Art can about deal with the suit (not the boots), but I'm finding that conversions from pre-Genesis tend to be fairy gold and turn into grey boxes overnight. A model actually made for the figure would be welcome.

Norfolk.jpg
    361 x 990 - 51K