Octane vs IRAY

124»

Comments

• CGHipsterCGHipster Posts: 241
    edited August 2018
    kyoto kid said:
    j cade said:
    kyoto kid said:

...now that would be an improvement as Cycles isn't GPU "brand specific".  I've seen some very nice results with it, jsut that every time I install the latest version lender and see that same UI and workspace that I saw 9 years ago that still is not natively pointer driven (unlike just about all other 3D software), I close it and uninstall.

Okay I know you have a pechant for exaggerating when it comes to blender, but... 9 years ago was pre 2.5, which was when the whole software was pretty much completely redone... Including the UI. I

...when I open even the newest version of Blender I still get this, which looks very much like when I first encountered the programme.

...until it looks and functions more like this when first opened it just doesn't work for me.

Have you looked at the new themes yet?  The new color schemes are really good, plus the pie menus are really good now

Post edited by CGHipster on
  • jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

Enough with the app wars already.

:)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,678

...can't wait for Octane4.  At 20$ a month that is reasonable and then I don't have to keep the Daz programme and scene open when rendering which wastes system resources.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,944

I have not updated the DS Octane plugin from 2, but personally I still use it in preference to iray

when I use DAZ studio, which is only really with HD morphed creatures and other DS specific things etc, if I can get something out of DAZ studio into another software I will.

it is actually the only way I can use DAZ studio to render more than one Genesis 8 HD morphed character with clothing and fit it on my 980ti or most scenes thanks to out of core and texture reduction, iray will go as slow as a slug and often go to CPU and grind to a halt.

for animation in DS for me Octane is a must.

...same for the "epic" level scenes I create.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    th3Digit said:

I have not updated the DS Octane plugin from 2, but personally I still use it in preference to iray

when I use DAZ studio, which is only really with HD morphed creatures and other DS specific things etc, if I can get something out of DAZ studio into another software I will.

it is actually the only way I can use DAZ studio to render more than one Genesis 8 HD morphed character with clothing and fit it on my 980ti or most scenes thanks to out of core and texture reduction, iray will go as slow as a slug and often go to CPU and grind to a halt.

Damn, this is a deal breaker; can I not use Octane with the HD morphs?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,944
    nicstt said:
    th3Digit said:

Damn, this is a deal breaker; can I not use Octane with the HD morphs?

wow you totally misread that

I said I only use DAZ STUDIO for HDmorphs and use Octane as iray can only fit a couple on my card

ottherwise I use Carrara and iClone

• CyberdeneCyberdene Posts: 72
    edited November 2019
    Havos said:
    Padone said:

The least I needed is CYCLES.

I guess you don't make animations. If you did, then you couldn't live without CYCLES. I mean sure, you can use Iray than "only" takes 10x time (no denoiser) and 10x memory** (no micro-displacement) to do the same things. But why ??? Sure with Cycles you have to spend some time exporting and fitting assets, but you only do it just one time. Then you go light-speed compared to Iray.

Apart from Iray, DAZ Studio just does not fit animation for so many reasons anyway.

As for Octane AFAIK it doesn't support micro-displacement*** so again it's not good for animation. As for out-of-core memory I honestly believe it is a non sense. If the scene exceeds 4-8GB it only means one thing. IT IS TIME TO OPTIMIZE THE SCENE. Do you really believe a 20GB scene will render fast anyway ???

EDIT

** 10x memory is the case when a large scene is built using multiple instances of sculpted objects, that's a common case in production. If you only use small scenes with a few sculpted objects then micro-displacement may not be required. But it would still be useful for memory optimization. Micro-displacement uses adaptive subdivision to automatically generate the required geometry.

*** Of course Octane does support displacement the same as Iray. But it is not micro-displacement. That is, it does not have adaptive subdivision. That's what makes the difference between micro-displacement (adaptive subdivision) and standard displacement (standard subdivision).

In my book, out of core memory can be the difference between doing a render in one pass at a high detail level and doing it in two or three passes at the same level and merging those in post. A good example is a scene with multiple characters in a fantasy market scene where you want to be able to see the details of not only the figures and their outfits, but the market stalls and goods being sold. Iray can't handle more than 3, whereas Octane would (as would 3Delight) due to also being able to use system RAM to hold image and geometry data.

I can't agree with that. I could easily put many more than 3 characters into a scene, including an environment, and the final result would look exactly the same as one run using more resources. The real issue is whether or not you can be bothered to put in the time to optimise. If you can not be bothered, then you either need a large VRAM GPU, or use an out of core renderer like Octane.

This is what I wish IRAY would fix, the memory issue. It's 2020, there is no excuse for it to have those limitations what so ever. and as for high GPU, I have a GPU that has 16GB, unless there is one that has over 100000000GB on it, I doubt even Octane can have over 100 figures in a scene.

Post edited by Cyberdene on
  • hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited July 2021

Octane uses the GPU and RAM/VRAM way more efficiently than Iray which means you get ultra fast renders (talking about a 2080 Super RTX here) and no waiting time to lad textures in memory. But most if not all DAZ bundles are for Iray. So it feels a bit useless. 

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • davidtriunedavidtriune Posts: 452
    edited March 2020

based on my experience, iray seems to render faster than octane. 

I don't think octane has optix acceleration enabled which would speed it up even more (by like 2x) https://home.otoy.com/octanerender-2020-preview/

the next version will feature optix, ACES color mapping, and Random Walk SSS which will be super awesome.

The bad things about it  are frequency of crashes, no undo, and lack of conversion from Iray materials, which keep me from using it.

Post edited by davidtriune on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,696

Octane uses their own implementation of cuda for rendering not Nvidias, so they don't use Optix or Nvidias rendering library. They have their own version of RTX acceleration, which first showed up in beta almost a year ago, long before Iray got RTX support (https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=71067). If your interested in the performance boost of RTX vs no RTX in Octane, this article by Puget Systems will give you a good idea what to expect (https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/OctaneBench-2019-Preview-GeForce-RTX-Performance-Boost-1384/). Unless my memory is totally faulty, the performance increase with RTX in Octane is much greater than with Optix in Iray???

• davidtriunedavidtriune Posts: 452
    DustRider said:

Octane uses their own implementation of cuda for rendering not Nvidias, so they don't use Optix or Nvidias rendering library. They have their own version of RTX acceleration, which first showed up in beta almost a year ago, long before Iray got RTX support (https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=71067). If your interested in the performance boost of RTX vs no RTX in Octane, this article by Puget Systems will give you a good idea what to expect (https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/OctaneBench-2019-Preview-GeForce-RTX-Performance-Boost-1384/). Unless my memory is totally faulty, the performance increase with RTX in Octane is much greater than with Optix in Iray???

thats cool but it seems like they're using optix regardless 

"New Octane 2020 features include up to 2-5x speed gains using OptiX 7™ RTX acceleration for scenes with heavy instancing and scattering"

https://home.otoy.com/octanerender-2020-preview/

• SorelSorel Posts: 1,390

Random walk sss is already implemented as well.

...the nice thing about Octane4 is if you can't afford a pricey high VRAM GPU you can still render scenes in a much more reasonable amount of time due to out of core rendering as it doesn't dump the entire process to the CPU (which on an older system is no fun).