Octane vs IRAY

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,679
    DustRider said:
    xyer0 said:
    fastbike1 said:

@xyer0  "Octane (which obviously yields more aesthetically pleasing renders than Iray)"

Sorry, can you back that up? A lot of people post average or worse Iray renders. A number of people post wonderful Iray renders. Which do you have in mind?

I ask because the scene you commented in this post, while good, doesn't display anything that can't accomplished in Iray.

If by "back that up" you mean cite clinical data, double blind polls, or wavelength graphs, then, no, I cannot. But my opinion that OR is relatively aesthetically superior to Daz's implementation of Iray is not based upon the render that was posted. I started researching Octane in 2014 while trying to determine if I was going to make the switch, Reality, 3Delight and Firefly being my only options then. At the time, I felt that Octane competed well against Reality for image quality, and, of course, it blew Reality away in render time. I was poised to take the plunge when Daz premiered their Iray version. A while later, either TRRazor from redspec or Laticis (I forget which) did some head-to-head tests on deviantart.com and asked opinions. It was clear to me and the tester that if money were no object, Octane for Daz had a subtle je ne sais quoi appeal to its images which Daz Iray lacked, (though the difference could conceivably be approximated in post). This anecdotal testimony and my eyes are the only back up I have, but I feel confident (and I have no dog in this fight) that if you make comparisons, you will FEEL (for it is an artistic inner impression of quality) the same.

DustRider said:

Like Masterstroke noted, using Octane typically will require some shader tweaking. Some will convert extremely well and you may be satisfied with the results without modification. Others will just need one or two settings modified, while some may require a serious rework to get the results you want. One thing I have learned is that often the texture sets are much better (amazing details) than I thought they were from the promos, or from use in Iray/3delight. So that has been an unexpected plus from tweaking shaders in Octane.

Bottom lune, Octane will require more hands on shader work than Iray (even if your a compulsive shader tweaker like me).. So the downside is it can require more work than Iray, the upside is that you can end up with better results because you were "forced" to adjust shaders (but keep in mind you could do the same with Iray, it just sometimes you may not realize how poorly the shaders are designed for your environment).

The best way to know if it is for you or not is to give the demo a serious try.  Most of the time it's just a matter of adjusting specular, ior, roughness values. Sometimes the best thing is to just use one of the many shaders in the LiveDB. Other times you may want to completely rebuild the shader. For many people this process is not enjoyable, while for others it's a part of their workflow that they really enjoy, and always want to make everything look the best they can.

As I noted earlier in the thread, I use Iray more than Octane now, and the main reason is that I spend less time adjusting shaders in Iray than with Octane. But if Octane 4 turns out to be everything I think it will be, that is likely to change due to improved speed and other features (it will definitely change if Otoy implements MDL support, then shader/material conversions would be a non-issue).

Thanks, DustRider, for breaking it down for me. And now I understand why Octane renders look better to me than Daz Iray. Is LiveDB free, or does it require a fee? 

Are you using standalone or the Daz plug-in? I remember that the gentleman who made it took quite awhile to update it, and I was wondering if that (his consistency) had changed.

My choice is production volume versus quality. I'm already well past my envisioned deadline, and learning a new system might not be too efficient timewise. Since the proof of the pudding is in the eating, I will take your advice and jump right into the demo. Thanks again for taking the time to explain your own rationale amd make suggestions.

The LiveDB is free. It has some really nice shaders, which can be used as is, our as a starting point for your own. It's not only a great shader resource, but also a great learning resource.

I use the DS plugin, the Carrara plugin, and occasionally the stadealone (like now, when the plugins haven't been developed yet for the new version, or I want to just mess around with it). Like Masterstroke noted, since Paul (face-off) took over the development of the DS plugin, things have been great. We still don't have the plugin for 3.8 , but I'm sure it will be available fairly soon (the updates are usually very fast now, this one has taken a bit longer). Paul also does the Poser plugin, and IIRC a couple of others (the Carrara plugin is already at 3.8, it's done by a different developer), so that, possibly combined with some issues associated with integrating some of the new features into the plugin has slowed things down a bit. The DS plugin is quite stable now as well, and no longer a crash fest like it was prior to the current developer taking over.

If your production volume is the primary concern, and your not doing animations, my first thought would be to stick with Iray (or 3Delight??), because the integration of DS is so good with Iray, and most  products come with very good Iray materials/shaders now. But the longer I thought about it, I realized the Direct Lighting kernel in Octane is really fast (similar to using the interactive mode with Iray - but faster), so there might be some real time savings there if your doing a series of images where the actors/props are all the same (if SSS isn't needed, because the Direct Lighting Kernel doesn't have SSS). Actually, if your doing images where the actors/props are all basically the same, say for a comic or graphic novel, then there might be some time savings with Octane vs Iray, since Octane is a bit faster for similar quality. It's hard to say for sure, especially when I'm not sure what your doing, and your skill set. If Octane 4 was out, and had all of the noted features, then Octane might be the better choice in general, and definitely for image series type work (it's not that I don't think it will have all that has been promised, but over the years (30+ doing computer tech stuff) I have learned that it's best to go with the product the does what you need now, rather than "waiting" for the one that is "better", because "stuff" happens, and even the best of intentions and planning can miss small details that slow things to a crawl, or completely prevent the intended outcomes).

Hope this all makes sense, and helps a little smiley

Edit: Just thought I'd update my post to note that the developer of the DS plugin, Paul (face_off), also does the Modo, Revit, Inventor, and Autocad plugins, and of course the Poser plugin, which was his first Octane plugin.

...my issue with Iray is the memory usage as I have to keep the scene and Daz programme open which leaves me with very little remaining memory for rendering and  my system goes into swap mode which is even slower. At least with 3DL and Octane. I have a standalone I can use which means once the scene is submitted to the engine, I can shut it and the Daz programme down to conserve resources.

I would like to chime in and just state one thing: all of the render engines mentioned in this thread have their very strong arguments and sides and each and every one is useful. What subjective "which is better" falls upon is how much use a particular user can have of any. One would argue that 3Delight/Renderman is the top-of-the-industry easy-to-work-with rendering engine used in so many high production industries with very awesome results, whilst in Daz community 3Delight didn't meet majority of acceptance especially since the entrance of Iray.

To state which is better we could all individually take our *personal* experiences and put the on the table and compare endlessly. At the end of the day everyone would have a valid point, because it works for them.

Now, from technical end what one engine has and the other doesn't facts are out there, but how much of that would an average Daz Studio user use to make an output of the image that is aesthetically appealing to them (again personally and subjectively) and their targetted audience (which is again personally and subjectively oriented towards observing the art). Let's not make this a war between render engines because neither side will win or lose no matter how many arguments are stated and backed up.

Octane: has big attention right now, is very nicelly developed, gives great results with Daz Studio and Poser and variations of their figures. That's a fact. Learning Node Graph Editor is mandatory with Octane, for which I am not sure how many people would invest the time to inspect, learn and advance in, just for the output of the final image. Yes it is faster, yes it is shiny, yes it is all new.

Iray: it is as well still being developed and we cannot say what new features would bring. Iray was built by Nvidia which rings to its name quiet an echo, even if there's the other engine who can use the same specs faster. Everything in Daz store right now is Iray optimized and available within a click, as Daz has adopted Iray as its number one rendering solution, free of charge for regular users. Let's not forget this means A LOT to someone who wants to build a scene and hit render, even if time takes longer. 

I have no wide experience in Cycles (or Evee also new of Blender), or Reality/Lux that is still being used, but I am absolutely sure strong positive points can be stated for these engines as well.

To sum it up, what works for you, is your best choice, and other person can only take the facts and decide for themselves, what their aim is, how much extra effort needs added and what kind of an output is to be expected. There are people who also render up to 20% and then use photoshop to get great final result. And imo what you get in the end is the only thing that matters and the whole process behind it is up to a user to build, step by step. Things that work for me might not work for someone else and they won't use the extra features or find them useful or easy to handle, and vice versa.

Great thing for everyone involved though is that we have so many options to chose from.

..the issue with Iray is that unless you have a beefy Nvidia GPU card, you are stuck in the slow lane rendering on the CPU. 3DL is much faster however with most products being released with only Iray materials that kills the 3DL workflow having to do a lot of manual conversion (even after using the scripts).  In this respect, it feels as if Daz has turned it's back on 3DL rather than looking to open more of its possibilities (thankfully people like Parris, Kettu and Wowie are the ones doing that however it still does not help with Iray - 3DL conversion)

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,520
    edited March 2018
    DustRider said:

Just a couple of questions.

@DustRider, the information I posted is based on my personal experience and workflow. Below a couple of images showing Iray vs Cycles with equivalent materials and same hdri light. Both the images take about one minute to render so you can see yourself the difference in quality. To get the same quality with Iray you need about 10x time.

If you need proofs then Blender is free so you can do your own "apple to apple" comparisons yourself. Below some links to help your google-fu.

https://www.blender.org/
    http://diffeomorphic.blogspot.it/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRzzaRvVDng
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSZ3C5OTU2E

https://www.daz3d.com/scene-optimizer

I also agree with @valzheimer that each engine has its strong and weak points depending on what you need. For still pictures DAZ Studio + Iray + Photoshop is a good choice anyway. You can also use Photoshop for denoising.

pergola-iray-60s.JPG
    640 x 360 - 303K
    pergola-cycles-60s.JPG
    640 x 360 - 142K
    Post edited by Padone on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    kyoto kid said:
    Padone said:

Blender is worth a Sheldon Cooper award for UI design.

LOL .. Well honestly I was in the same shoes the first time I used Blender. It was v4 so a loong time ago. But I was lucky since I came from Lightwave so I was used to shortcuts to optimize the workflow. And actually, as odd as it may sound, the Blender interface is optimized for production. During production when I model an object, or when I do animation, I really can't waste my time selecting menus or switching widgets. Shortcuts are just the only way to go. I couldn't live without shortcuts.

...I have tried Blender every time a new version was released and still gave up when I saw the same clunky UI that needed keyboard commands to get around.

It doesnt NEED keyboard commands.

• kyoto kid said:

I would like to chime in and just state one thing: all of the render engines mentioned in this thread have their very strong arguments and sides and each and every one is useful. What subjective "which is better" falls upon is how much use a particular user can have of any. One would argue that 3Delight/Renderman is the top-of-the-industry easy-to-work-with rendering engine used in so many high production industries with very awesome results, whilst in Daz community 3Delight didn't meet majority of acceptance especially since the entrance of Iray.

To state which is better we could all individually take our *personal* experiences and put the on the table and compare endlessly. At the end of the day everyone would have a valid point, because it works for them.

Now, from technical end what one engine has and the other doesn't facts are out there, but how much of that would an average Daz Studio user use to make an output of the image that is aesthetically appealing to them (again personally and subjectively) and their targetted audience (which is again personally and subjectively oriented towards observing the art). Let's not make this a war between render engines because neither side will win or lose no matter how many arguments are stated and backed up.

Octane: has big attention right now, is very nicelly developed, gives great results with Daz Studio and Poser and variations of their figures. That's a fact. Learning Node Graph Editor is mandatory with Octane, for which I am not sure how many people would invest the time to inspect, learn and advance in, just for the output of the final image. Yes it is faster, yes it is shiny, yes it is all new.

Iray: it is as well still being developed and we cannot say what new features would bring. Iray was built by Nvidia which rings to its name quiet an echo, even if there's the other engine who can use the same specs faster. Everything in Daz store right now is Iray optimized and available within a click, as Daz has adopted Iray as its number one rendering solution, free of charge for regular users. Let's not forget this means A LOT to someone who wants to build a scene and hit render, even if time takes longer. 

I have no wide experience in Cycles (or Evee also new of Blender), or Reality/Lux that is still being used, but I am absolutely sure strong positive points can be stated for these engines as well.

To sum it up, what works for you, is your best choice, and other person can only take the facts and decide for themselves, what their aim is, how much extra effort needs added and what kind of an output is to be expected. There are people who also render up to 20% and then use photoshop to get great final result. And imo what you get in the end is the only thing that matters and the whole process behind it is up to a user to build, step by step. Things that work for me might not work for someone else and they won't use the extra features or find them useful or easy to handle, and vice versa.

Great thing for everyone involved though is that we have so many options to chose from.

..the issue with Iray is that unless you have a beefy Nvidia GPU card, you are stuck in the slow lane rendering on the CPU. 3DL is much faster however with most products being released with only Iray materials that kills the 3DL workflow having to do a lot of manual conversion (even after using the scripts).  In this respect, it feels as if Daz has turned it's back on 3DL rather than looking to open more of its possibilities (thankfully people like Parris, Kettu and Wowie are the ones doing that however it still does not help with Iray - 3DL conversion)

You might, however, note that in the IBL Master readme there are links to sample scripts, some of which are so new they aren't yet live links, so Daz is still working on the suport infrastructure that these third-party tools use.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,321
    kyoto kid said:
    Havos said:
    Padone said:

The least I needed is CYCLES.

I guess you don't make animations. If you did, then you couldn't live without CYCLES. I mean sure, you can use Iray than "only" takes 10x time (no denoiser) and 10x memory** (no micro-displacement) to do the same things. But why ??? Sure with Cycles you have to spend some time exporting and fitting assets, but you only do it just one time. Then you go light-speed compared to Iray.

Apart from Iray, DAZ Studio just does not fit animation for so many reasons anyway.

As for Octane AFAIK it doesn't support micro-displacement*** so again it's not good for animation. As for out-of-core memory I honestly believe it is a non sense. If the scene exceeds 4-8GB it only means one thing. IT IS TIME TO OPTIMIZE THE SCENE. Do you really believe a 20GB scene will render fast anyway ???

EDIT

** 10x memory is the case when a large scene is built using multiple instances of sculpted objects, that's a common case in production. If you only use small scenes with a few sculpted objects then micro-displacement may not be required. But it would still be useful for memory optimization. Micro-displacement uses adaptive subdivision to automatically generate the required geometry.

*** Of course Octane does support displacement the same as Iray. But it is not micro-displacement. That is, it does not have adaptive subdivision. That's what makes the difference between micro-displacement (adaptive subdivision) and standard displacement (standard subdivision).

In my book, out of core memory can be the difference between doing a render in one pass at a high detail level and doing it in two or three passes at the same level and merging those in post. A good example is a scene with multiple characters in a fantasy market scene where you want to be able to see the details of not only the figures and their outfits, but the market stalls and goods being sold. Iray can't handle more than 3, whereas Octane would (as would 3Delight) due to also being able to use system RAM to hold image and geometry data.

I can't agree with that. I could easily put many more than 3 characters into a scene, including an environment, and the final result would look exactly the same as one run using more resources. The real issue is whether or not you can be bothered to put in the time to optimise. If you can not be bothered, then you either need a large VRAM GPU, or use an out of core renderer like Octane.

...when the time to optimise results in diminishing returns compared to just letting the full scene render and you cannot afford a high memory GPU, that's when Octane has the advantage.

But with Octane you have to spend a lot of time manipulating the shaders, so either route involves work.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,696
    Padone said:
    DustRider said:

@DustRider, the information I posted is based on my personal experience and workflow. Below a couple of images showing Iray vs Cycles with equivalent materials and same hdri light. Both the images take about one minute to render so you can see yourself the difference in quality. To get the same quality with Iray you need about 10x time.

If you need proofs then Blender is free so you can do your own "apple to apple" comparisons yourself. Below some links to help your google-fu.

I also agree with @valzheimer that each engine has its strong and weak points depending on what you need. For still pictures DAZ Studio + Iray + Photoshop is a good choice anyway. You can also use Photoshop for denoising.

Hey, Thanks for the images!! That does help a lot, now I just wondering what was used for the Iray render, GPU or CPU?

Warning: FOSS software rant (sorry, just had to do it), for anyone wanting to avoid the rant, just jump down to "Rant off".

Yes, Blender is free (as in Beer, and Freedom), but it also suffers from the same problems that plague so many FOSS packages. There are many things that are just plain "over the top stupid counter intuitive" that even just using Blender as a render stage takes a serious time investment to even just evaluate it. The whole counter intuitive learning curve makes it not so "free". This is coming from someone who supports, uses, and teaches other FOSS packages. A few FOSS developers get it, and understand that making their software at least mimic how things are done in the top commercial packages, and intuitive, is important for adoption and support. Gimp and Inkscape come to mind as packages most people here might be familiar with where the developers have made them fairly intuitive and usable. One that I think is really at the top right now in terms of intuitive usability (i.e. if you know how to use and understand the most common commercial software of this type, you can quickly become functional with it) is QGIS (Geographic Information System software). Over the past few years it has gone from quirky sort of usable to very logically laid out and intuitive. My hope is that Blender 2.8 will put Blender on the path to mainstream intuitive, instead of geeky "do it my way, it's the best, besides, it free so don't complain". Sorry, but I couldn't help myself, I'm teaching a class that relies heavily on open source software, and have spent way too many hours (and hours, and hours) the last few months searching the web for the simplest things, that should be easy, and actually sort of are, after you finally come across the key bit of info or logic. Time that could have been better spent actually doing something if the developers, and long time users, had a clue what it's like to try to learn to use this awesome product (and no, QGIS isn't one of the packages driving me nuts, it's a welcome gem, and sooooo easy for students (and instructors) to come to grips with).

Rant off

Yes, blender is on my "to learn" list. Partially because of Cycles and Evee, but also due to all the other great things it has. But even though it is free as far as $$$, the cost in time and frustration of learning it makes Blender a lot more expensive. I think I'll wait for 2.8, seems like it might be a bit counter productive at this point to learn one UI, then a couple months later needing to learn the new UI.

Anyway, Thanks again Padone, much appreciated!!!

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    DustRider said:
    Padone said:
    DustRider said:

Hey, Thanks for the images!! That does help a lot, now I just wondering what was used for the Iray render, GPU or CPU?

Warning: FOSS software rant (sorry, just had to do it), for anyone wanting to avoid the rant, just jump down to "Rant off".

Yes, Blender is free (as in Beer, and Freedom), but it also suffers from the same problems that plague so many FOSS packages. There are many things that are just plain "over the top stupid counter intuitive" that even just using Blender as a render stage takes a serious time investment to even just evaluate it. The whole counter intuitive learning curve makes it not so "free". This is coming from someone who supports, uses, and teaches other FOSS packages. A few FOSS developers get it, and understand that making their software at least mimic how things are done in the top commercial packages, and intuitive, is important for adoption and support. Gimp and Inkscape come to mind as packages most people here might be familiar with where the developers have made them fairly intuitive and usable. One that I think is really at the top right now in terms of intuitive usability (i.e. if you know how to use and understand the most common commercial software of this type, you can quickly become functional with it) is QGIS (Geographic Information System software). Over the past few years it has gone from quirky sort of usable to very logically laid out and intuitive. My hope is that Blender 2.8 will put Blender on the path to mainstream intuitive, instead of geeky "do it my way, it's the best, besides, it free so don't complain". Sorry, but I couldn't help myself, I'm teaching a class that relies heavily on open source software, and have spent way too many hours (and hours, and hours) the last few months searching the web for the simplest things, that should be easy, and actually sort of are, after you finally come across the key bit of info or logic. Time that could have been better spent actually doing something if the developers, and long time users, had a clue what it's like to try to learn to use this awesome product (and no, QGIS isn't one of the packages driving me nuts, it's a welcome gem, and sooooo easy for students (and instructors) to come to grips with).

Rant off

Yes, blender is on my "to learn" list. Partially because of Cycles and Evee, but also due to all the other great things it has. But even though it is free as far as $$$, the cost in time and frustration of learning it makes Blender a lot more expensive. I think I'll wait for 2.8, seems like it might be a bit counter productive at this point to learn one UI, then a couple months later needing to learn the new UI.

You may want to keep in mind that UIs can be a rather personal thing. Some people (including but not limited to me) find it intuitive (no genuinely. Other software apparently doesn't do blender's thing of having shortcuts match up with the names of what there doing and as someone who is actually bad at remembering shortcuts its way easier to remember "g for grab" than "random allegedly ergonomic letter for grab") Not that blender doesn't have it's idiosyncrasies, but I often find when people complain about it's UI once you move beyond right click select there don't seem to be a lot of specifics

On the other hand I cannot stand gimp. It doesn't feel particularly intuitive to me,  it just feels like Photoshop but slightly clunkier and slower. On the other hand I love Krita which does more of its own thing and consequently has actual *advantages* over PS (like well integrated brush smoothing, guides, and symmetry). But of course if you're coming *from* PS I imagine gimp might feel more intuitive because it's more similar to what one is used to

Padone said:
    DustRider said:

...if you have PS.  Some of us don't.

edited March 2018
    Havos said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Havos said:
    Padone said:

I guess you don't make animations. If you did, then you couldn't live without CYCLES. I mean sure, you can use Iray than "only" takes 10x time (no denoiser) and 10x memory** (no micro-displacement) to do the same things. But why ??? Sure with Cycles you have to spend some time exporting and fitting assets, but you only do it just one time. Then you go light-speed compared to Iray.

Apart from Iray, DAZ Studio just does not fit animation for so many reasons anyway.

As for Octane AFAIK it doesn't support micro-displacement*** so again it's not good for animation. As for out-of-core memory I honestly believe it is a non sense. If the scene exceeds 4-8GB it only means one thing. IT IS TIME TO OPTIMIZE THE SCENE. Do you really believe a 20GB scene will render fast anyway ???

EDIT

** 10x memory is the case when a large scene is built using multiple instances of sculpted objects, that's a common case in production. If you only use small scenes with a few sculpted objects then micro-displacement may not be required. But it would still be useful for memory optimization. Micro-displacement uses adaptive subdivision to automatically generate the required geometry.

*** Of course Octane does support displacement the same as Iray. But it is not micro-displacement. That is, it does not have adaptive subdivision. That's what makes the difference between micro-displacement (adaptive subdivision) and standard displacement (standard subdivision).

In my book, out of core memory can be the difference between doing a render in one pass at a high detail level and doing it in two or three passes at the same level and merging those in post. A good example is a scene with multiple characters in a fantasy market scene where you want to be able to see the details of not only the figures and their outfits, but the market stalls and goods being sold. Iray can't handle more than 3, whereas Octane would (as would 3Delight) due to also being able to use system RAM to hold image and geometry data.

I can't agree with that. I could easily put many more than 3 characters into a scene, including an environment, and the final result would look exactly the same as one run using more resources. The real issue is whether or not you can be bothered to put in the time to optimise. If you can not be bothered, then you either need a large VRAM GPU, or use an out of core renderer like Octane.

...when the time to optimise results in diminishing returns compared to just letting the full scene render and you cannot afford a high memory GPU, that's when Octane has the advantage.

But with Octane you have to spend a lot of time manipulating the shaders, so either route involves work.

...been there with Lux/Reality and Carrara as well as even 3DL.  I find that has less impact on my workflow than having to "optimise" scenes to get them to fit in small amount of VRAM or post production to not have them come out grainy (as I mentioned above, I don't have PS with its Denoiser tool).

Octane's out of core rendering is faster than Iray in CPU mode. I can actually put my small VRAM card to use whereas it's almost pointless to do so with Iray as scenes pretty much will dump to the CPU anyway (then often to swap mode depending how much physical memory the scene takes up having to remain open in Daz during the process). If I can submit the scene to Octane in standalone mode and close out the Daz Programme (like I could with Lux and 3DL RIB), that means more system resources will be freed up for rendering and the job will remain on both the GPU and the physical memory I have.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited March 2018
    j cade said:
    DustRider said:
    Padone said:
    DustRider said:

Rant off

You may want to keep in mind that UIs can be a rather personal thing. Some people (including but not limited to me) find it intuitive (no genuinely. Other software apparently doesn't do blender's thing of having shortcuts match up with the names of what there doing and as someone who is actually bad at remembering shortcuts its way easier to remember "g for grab" than "random allegedly ergonomic letter for grab") Not that blender doesn't have it's idiosyncrasies, but I often find when people complain about it's UI once you move beyond right click select there don't seem to be a lot of specifics

On the other hand I cannot stand gimp. It doesn't feel particularly intuitive to me,  it just feels like Photoshop but slightly clunkier and slower. On the other hand I love Krita which does more of its own thing and consequently has actual *advantages* over PS (like well integrated brush smoothing, guides, and symmetry). But of course if you're coming *from* PS I imagine gimp might feel more intuitive because it's more similar to what one is used to

...my last experience with PS was Ver 2.5 (on a colour Mac II back in 1992).  Oddly even with that gap of 14 years, I found Gimp to be fairly easy to learn.  The one nice advantage, Gimp supports .abr brushes. You can't have them all loaded at once but you can set up brush folders that can be swapped in and out as need be. 

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,321
    kyoto kid said:
    Havos said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Havos said:
    Padone said:

EDIT

...been there with Lux/Reality and Carrara as well as even 3DL.  I find that has less impact on my workflow than having to "optimise" scenes to get them to fit in small amount of VRAM or post production to not have them come out grainy (as I mentioned above, I don't have PS with its Denoiser tool).

Octane's out of core rendering is faster than Iray in CPU mode. I can actually put my small VRAM card to use whereas it's almost pointless to do so with Iray as scenes pretty much will dump to the CPU anyway (then often to swap mode depending how much physical memory the scene takes up having to remain open in Daz during the process). If I can submit the scene to Octane in standalone mode and close out the Daz Programme (like I could with Lux and 3DL RIB), that means more system resources will be freed up for rendering and the job will remain on both the GPU and the physical memory I have.

I find optimising a scene often takes just a few minutes. Ultimately it is texture size that eat up RAM and VRAM, so that is what you concentrate on. Since you find converting to Reality/Octane shaders much easier for you, how come you are saying that Iray to 3DL is such a pain, I would have thought the conversion work was similar (albeit harder than 3DL to Iray).

j cade said:
    DustRider said:
    Padone said:
    DustRider said:

Rant off

Very true, different UI's work well with different people. My son picked up Blender in an afternoon back in 1999, I was pretty amazed, but he is a keyboard shortcut person, so it just clicked. I forgot to mention Open Office/Libre Office as being a good example of trying to make FOSS user friendly - very well done. It did take a bit of work to come to grips with Gimp, but it didn't make me go "wtf, how can I do anything in this" like when I first opened Blender.

Sorry again for the rant, I was a bit harsh on Blender in my last post. It just gets old dealing with usability issues in open source software, when it doesn't have to be that way. I fully understand it, and some of it is completely justified (someone makes a very useful piece of software to do things the way they work, and gives it to the world to use and modify, but doesn't want to spend countless hours making it easy for everyone else to use). However, for applications that are very popular, and receive a good deal of financial support from the user base, I think usability needs to be addressed better for continued support.

I do intend to learn Blender, because it is an awesome bit of kit. Hopefully I'll do it sooner than later. But waiting until 2.8 comes out seems the best course of action right now, no reason to learn the way things work now, only to have to re-learn it in a few months (of course I said that with the last big UI change too, lol).

edited March 2018
    Havos said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Havos said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Havos said:
    Padone said:

EDIT

I find optimising a scene often takes just a few minutes. Ultimately it is texture size that eat up RAM and VRAM, so that is what you concentrate on. Since you find converting to Reality/Octane shaders much easier for you, how come you are saying that Iray to 3DL is such a pain, I would have thought the conversion work was similar (albeit harder than 3DL to Iray).

..because some channels that exist in 3DL don't in Iray as well as the other way around.  Even Carrara addresses the same parameter channels as did Reality/Lux. A good part of such conversions also involved simply replacing one shader set with the other.  That exists for 3DL to Iray (via the Iray Uber presets) but there is nothing for going the other way.

• drzapdrzap Posts: 795
    edited March 2018

I tried to stay in Daz Studio and use iRay for my work.  I really tried.  The benefits are obvious:  Daz figures are designed for DS. There are loads of assets that work relatively seamless with it, and its a timesaver to work in as few apps as possible.  But as an aspiring animator, I eventually realized that I would be spinning my wheels in Daz Studio, and iRay is gimped for animation (motion blur is must for animation work).  So using another package is the only option for me. Redshift, being a biased render engine, has been surprisingly shader agnostic, making the transition easier.  For serious animators, a jump away from iRay is probably inevitable.  It's just a matter of choosing an interface that speaks to you as an artist.  Iray in Daz Studio was specially tuned for still frame renderers, thus there is little motive for changing by the community.  For me, deciding to finally change was the best creative decision I have made.

Post edited by drzap on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,781
    DustRider said:
    xyer0 said:
    fastbike1 said:
    The LiveDB is free. It has some really nice shaders, which can be used as is, our as a starting point for your own. It's not only a great shader resource, but also a great learning resource.

I use the DS plugin, the Carrara plugin, and occasionally the stadealone (like now, when the plugins haven't been developed yet for the new version, or I want to just mess around with it). Like Masterstroke noted, since Paul (face-off) took over the development of the DS plugin, things have been great. We still don't have the plugin for 3.8 , but I'm sure it will be available fairly soon (the updates are usually very fast now, this one has taken a bit longer). Paul also does the Poser plugin, and IIRC a couple of others (the Carrara plugin is already at 3.8, it's done by a different developer), so that, possibly combined with some issues associated with integrating some of the new features into the plugin has slowed things down a bit. The DS plugin is quite stable now as well, and no longer a crash fest like it was prior to the current developer taking over.

If your production volume is the primary concern, and your not doing animations, my first thought would be to stick with Iray (or 3Delight??), because the integration of DS is so good with Iray, and most  products come with very good Iray materials/shaders now. But the longer I thought about it, I realized the Direct Lighting kernel in Octane is really fast (similar to using the interactive mode with Iray - but faster), so there might be some real time savings there if your doing a series of images where the actors/props are all the same (if SSS isn't needed, because the Direct Lighting Kernel doesn't have SSS). Actually, if your doing images where the actors/props are all basically the same, say for a comic or graphic novel, then there might be some time savings with Octane vs Iray, since Octane is a bit faster for similar quality. It's hard to say for sure, especially when I'm not sure what your doing, and your skill set. If Octane 4 was out, and had all of the noted features, then Octane might be the better choice in general, and definitely for image series type work (it's not that I don't think it will have all that has been promised, but over the years (30+ doing computer tech stuff) I have learned that it's best to go with the product the does what you need now, rather than "waiting" for the one that is "better", because "stuff" happens, and even the best of intentions and planning can miss small details that slow things to a crawl, or completely prevent the intended outcomes).

Hope this all makes sense, and helps a little smiley

Edit: Just thought I'd update my post to note that the developer of the DS plugin, Paul (face_off), also does the Modo, Revit, Inventor, and Autocad plugins, and of course the Poser plugin, which was his first Octane plugin.

Wisdom from an OG. And Valzheimer too?! Thanks so much, mate. It all made perfect sense and was immensely helpful, answering my questions before I could even post them. My skill level is low, but Iray has lowered the bar to the point that most things will look great at [mostly] default settings unless I get too cute. I've found that ignorance can be an asset in that I don't know enough to quit before I attempt the improbable. Although I could just rule out the whole Octane affair since their logo employs six sixes, lol. Thanks for all the links, you guys.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,520
    DustRider said:

I just wondering what was used for the Iray render, GPU or CPU?

You're welcome. I also understand your "rant" on Blender. The interface is sometime not "common sense". But there are customization options in the preferences that do help. And after a while you get used to it eventually. Plus you will find really tons of tutorials on the web for Blender. So this helps a lot too.

As for my example, I tried to be as fair as possible. So of course I used the same GPU for Cycles and Iray and GPU rendering for both. I didn't specify it because it seemed obvious to me.

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 744
    edited March 2018
    kyoto kid said:

..Cycles means having to deal with Blender and it's clunky keyboard driven UI.

It is certainly true you'd have to deal with Blender if you decided you wanted to personally use Cycles today. But Blender and Cycles are separate things. There is no cosmic or legal reason why Cycles couldn't be a rendering option from within DS, either via a plugin or because DAZ integrated it. (Cycles is distributed under a license that permits commercial use, so don't fall for anybody's GPL fear-mongering.)

Clearly DAZ has some sort of licensing contract with Nvidia that makes it possible and financially feasible to distribute an Iray-based product freely for now. But if that agreement has to be periodically renewed, one day the terms may not be so favorable. Or Nvidia may abandon Iray for some reason. I suspect sooner or later, due to market forces, DAZ will at least consider integrating Cycles--or maybe even Eevee, if permitted by whatever license Eevee is eventually realeased under.

Post edited by Inkubo on
    edited March 2018

...now that would be an improvement as Cycles isn't GPU "brand specific".  I've seen some very nice results with it, jsut that every time I install the latest version blender and see that same UI and workspace that I saw 9 years ago that still is not natively pointer driven (unlike just about all other 3D software), I close it and uninstall.

kyoto kid said:

...now that would be an improvement as Cycles isn't GPU "brand specific".  I've seen some very nice results with it, jsut that every time I install the latest version lender and see that same UI and workspace that I saw 9 years ago that still is not natively pointer driven (unlike just about all other 3D software), I close it and uninstall.

Okay I know you have a pechant for exaggerating when it comes to blender, but... 9 years ago was pre 2.5, which was when the whole software was pretty much completely redone... Including the UI. If you can't see the difference between this:

And this:

I have to say I worry for your eyesight

• j cade said:
    kyoto kid said:

...now that would be an improvement as Cycles isn't GPU "brand specific".  I've seen some very nice results with it, jsut that every time I install the latest version lender and see that same UI and workspace that I saw 9 years ago that still is not natively pointer driven (unlike just about all other 3D software), I close it and uninstall.

Okay I know you have a pechant for exaggerating when it comes to blender, but... 9 years ago was pre 2.5, which was when the whole software was pretty much completely redone... Including the UI. If you can't see the difference between this:

And this:

Let me just say I could have most of a body morph done in zBrush in the time it took me to figure out how to move points around in either of those versions of blender, and it isn't exactly the most intuitive application either.
    j cade said:
    kyoto kid said:

And this:

Let me just say I could have most of a body morph done in zBrush in the time it took me to figure out how to move points around in either of those versions of blender, and it isn't exactly the most intuitive application either.

And I could have a body morph done in Blender before I loaded in an object and was able to move it to the center of the viewport in Zbrush.

I'm not claiming that Blender is perfect and everyone should use it and nothing else, I just think there's a pretty wide gulf between the statements "Blender's UI doesn't work well for me" and "Blender's UI hasn't changed in 9 years" one of those things is a perfectly reasonable opinion the other is objectively contradicted by reality. I feel the same about say "Blender is optimized for working with hotkeys, which doesn't suit my workflow" vs "The only way you can use Blender is if you memorize lists of hotkeys and you can't access those tools any other way"

Myself and others who use Blender have said in this forum multiple times that while they can speed things up you can get by with very minimal hotkey usage, but somehow it feels like everytime Blender gets mentioned even if its just in passing someone will reply to the effect of "Hey you said blender. Did you know the UI is terrible and you need to memorize lists of hotkeys to use it?" And I might be gettining just a bit frustrated :|

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,838
    j cade said:
    kyoto kid said:

And this:

Haha, that s excactley me. No clue moving an object in blender. Once succeeded it keeps sticking at your cursour like a piece of dog poop.

edited March 2018
    j cade said:
    kyoto kid said:

Okay I know you have a pechant for exaggerating when it comes to blender, but... 9 years ago was pre 2.5, which was when the whole software was pretty much completely redone... Including the UI. I

...when I open even the newest version of Blender I still get this, which looks very much like when I first encountered the programme.

...until it looks and functions more like this when first opened it just doesn't work for me.

Hex UI.png
    1405 x 863 - 109K
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    kyoto kid said:
    j cade said:
    kyoto kid said:

Okay I know you have a pechant for exaggerating when it comes to blender, but... 9 years ago was pre 2.5, which was when the whole software was pretty much completely redone... Including the UI. I

...when I open even the newest version of Blender I still get this, which looks very much like when I first encountered the programme.

...until it looks and functions more like this when first opened it just doesn't work for me.

We get you don't like Blender; you mention it at any and every opportunity it seems. I don't like Hexagon, and I try not to mention it every time you extoll its virtues.

• Enough with the app wars already.

...sure thing. 

Padone said:
    DustRider said:

I just wondering what was used for the Iray render, GPU or CPU?

You're welcome. I also understand your "rant" on Blender. The interface is sometime not "common sense". But there are customization options in the preferences that do help. And after a while you get used to it eventually. Plus you will find really tons of tutorials on the web for Blender. So this helps a lot too.

As for my example, I tried to be as fair as possible. So of course I used the same GPU for Cycles and Iray and GPU rendering for both. I didn't specify it because it seemed obvious to me.

Thanks again! Makes Blender and Cycles a bit more "interesting".

• Well, since the thread has derailed from Octane anyway, I don't feel bad about asking: Does anyone have any experience exporting to Marmoset Toolbag and using it to render?

• CGHipsterCGHipster Posts: 241
    edited August 2018

Soon Octane will be free for up to 2 GPU's and a single pc, I have Octane and like the speed of it, it is faster than Iray and very good if you don't have the fastest GPU's and want to save cash a simple subscription will improve your render times considerably.  Octane can also load textures to ram and not just GPU.  Cons - Not all materials from Iray translate ideally to Octane so be prepared for editing materials for Octane (lights and glass materials mainly) although selecting appropriate textures for Octane is extremely straightforward to do.  I also use Cycles and Arnold as well and have tried Luxrender in Blender,  The fastest render engine from my experience is Octane and next is Arnold which doesn't apply to this thread really since it is Maya, but it applies for what I am doing. 

Not sure if I can recommend anything here without being slapped by mods but there is a very good cycles library that sells for 80.00 USD and it gives you about 100 materials, another is about 40 USD made by a physicist who is into 3d rendering and his material bases are beyond realistic.  I bought those when they came onto the blender market and from there you can make any material.  I'm relatively new to Daz (under a year) but not new to Blender and have been using it for the past 4 years, it was sort of what started me in cg.

Out of all of the render engines I have used, I currently find Iray is my favorite for final render, the renders are always very good and realistic with the least effort due to its integration with Studio.  Although I am still waiting for Eevee on Blender and this might change a few opinions I have but that is just me following the hype.

The one big benefit with Iray is the relationship with Daz in that Iray and MDL materials for Iray are basically one click setups, a second for Iray is the realism.  Octane is good at translating Iray materials in Daz but sometimes you will want to tweak the resulting Octane material using the expansive database which is also a massive benefit of Octane again, it is faster than Iray but Iray OTB with Daz is pretty well integrated and lighting is fantastic and beats Octane with less tweaking.  

I think it is a trade for speed, Iray is more accurate than Octane but Octane is lightning fast and with tweaking can look as good and sometimes better than Iray.

As for blender, it is free but if you want a better interface you basically have to go to the marketplace and fill in the gaps be it appearance or functionality... over the past 3 years I have dropped 900 in the blender market to get my blender install where it is fluid and intuitive but I wouldn't trade any of it, in some ways it is no different than getting Studio free and then adding assets and shaders for cash, you build what you need and it can be extremely powerful when customized to focus on your goals.

Post edited by CGHipster on