Thank you, Sickleyield!

2»

Comments

• Wow thats amazing. Buying it right away!

• Bright ShadowBright Shadow Posts: 63
    edited February 2018

A few tests on clothing have worked great. But I'm having trouble with the standard Vertigo hair. If the charater's height, leg length, etc. are anything other than default, the ponytail is left hovering in the air.

Any suggestions for working around this?

example.png
    613 x 510 - 388K
    Post edited by Bright Shadow on
  • agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited February 2018

A few tests on clothing have worked great. But I'm having trouble with the standard Vertigo hair. If the charater's height, leg length, etc. are anything other than default, the ponytail is left hovering in the air.

Any suggestions for working around this?

You seriously don't ever want to use autofit on hair from G3 to G8 (and you want to avoid it in as many cases as possible otherwise as a matter of principle because it breaks bones and broken hair bones are bad).

What you do, is open a G8 hair without fitting it, select it, and do Edit/Object/Scene Identification. You can also so Edit/Scene Identification from the scene dropdown. Change Compatibility Base from G8F to G3F. Now you can fit it and everything will work perfectly. You can resave it as a G3F version to not have to refit it again.

Post edited by agent unawares on
  • Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038
    I'm so glad people are liking it. :) @gerster: All you can do at that point is add a smoothing modifier and up the samples. Autofit destroys jcms with or without a clone.

Hey SickleYield,

thank you for your answer.
    Adding a smoothin modifier and up the samples helps with visible skin but not with the strange cloth shape around the knee.

I converted the same short with your tutorial and got a much better result with the knee. Looks much more like on a genesis 8 figure.

https://sickleyield.deviantart.com/journal/Tutorial-Convert-Clothing-G3-to-G8-G8-to-G3-686682065

Screenshot (9).png
    913 x 514 - 294K
    edited February 2018
    gerster said:
    I'm so glad people are liking it. :) @gerster: All you can do at that point is add a smoothing modifier and up the samples. Autofit destroys jcms with or without a clone.

Hey SickleYield,

thank you for your answer.
    Adding a smoothin modifier and up the samples helps with visible skin but not with the strange cloth shape around the knee.

I converted the same short with your tutorial and got a much better result with the knee. Looks much more like on a genesis 8 figure.

https://sickleyield.deviantart.com/journal/Tutorial-Convert-Clothing-G3-to-G8-G8-to-G3-686682065

It's almost always going to look better to convert manually, because the rigging stays exactly the same as the PA originally made it, with all the work they did by hand to make the weight maps right for the clothing instead of generically from the figure.

In your autofit example it looks a lot like the lower part of the shorts got rigged to the shin bone, which is a problem for autofitting loose shorts that should only be rigged to thighs and above. Autofit doesn't know this of course. Check out the weight maps and see what's going on.

Post edited by agent unawares on
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629

Yep.  Manual conversion always looks better, no question.  That's why I didn't do a G8 clone for G3 when the figure was newer; I assumed no one needed it.  People repeatedly urging otherwise is what convinced me to do one anyway.

@Bright Shadow: The best practice with hair is 'parent, don't conform.'  Manual conversion by way of just changing the scene identification probably works well with hair, too.

@Odd_Platypus: Probably?  The clone itself goes in the G3 folders, but I don't know if Autofit actually refers back to any other figure when it applies clones (I assume not, but I'm not going to urge you to spend money based on my hunch either).  I can't test that on my system in its current state.

• nelm2010nelm2010 Posts: 45

Instabuy! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

• Purchased with pleasure!

And now, I believe I saw some dforce tunics on sale at rendo that I will also be purchasing.

Thanks SickleYieldlaugh

Purchased with pleasure!

And now, I believe I saw some dforce tunics on sale at rendo that I will also be purchasing.

Thanks SickleYieldlaugh

And I hope they will bring you much enjoyment!  I thought about trying to do them for Daz, but I didn't want to do a whole underwear set for them.

Thanks SickleYieldlaugh

And I hope they will bring you much enjoyment!  I thought about trying to do them for Daz, but I didn't want to do a whole underwear set for them.

You know what, as soon as the Roman togas you made go on sale im going to be all over those as well. I have a scene thats been sitting around in my runtime for about a year now. Ive never been able to complete it because im just not happy with autofit togas. Thanks for all your work.

...ever thought of making a utility that would add bones to long hair styles?... would be another day 1 purchase!

Purchased with pleasure!

Thanks SickleYieldlaugh

You know what, as soon as the Roman togas you made go on sale im going to be all over those as well. I have a scene thats been sitting around in my runtime for about a year now. Ive never been able to complete it because im just not happy with autofit togas. Thanks for all your work.

...ever thought of making a utility that would add bones to long hair styles?... would be another day 1 purchase!

I did consider it, but the thing is that hairs are so different from each other. I guess I could experiment with a hair template pack. I mean it'll still never work on ponytails.

Thanks SickleYieldlaugh

I did consider it, but the thing is that hairs are so different from each other. I guess I could experiment with a hair template pack. I mean it'll still never work on ponytails.

Ponytails im not really concerned with. Generally they do alright with morphs. Its the front hair and to a smaller degree the back hair of long draping styles that always causes me grief. If the utility provided enough bones to make posing more dynamic around the collar and shoulders, that would be cake. Small bones, even with easy pose with be fantastic for front hair strands. It would help hair posing so much!

Just a thought...wink

• What you do, is open a G8 hair without fitting it, select it, and do Edit/Object/Scene Identification. You can also so Edit/Scene Identification from the scene dropdown. Change Compatibility Base from G8F to G3F. Now you can fit it and everything will work perfectly. You can resave it as a G3F version to not have to refit it again.

Thanks for the suggestion, agent unawares.

Did you mean "preferred base" rather than "compatibility base"? When I do this:

1. Select Vertigo Ponytail
    2. Edit > Object > Scene Identification

I see this:

• Compatibility Base: /Vertigo Ponytail/Vertigo Ponytail
    • Preferred Base: /Genesis 8/Female

I've tried changing one, the other, and both settings to /Genesis 3/Female. But in all three cases, as soon as I autofit, the ponytail does the same floating-in-the-air thing.

Is there a way to make this work, or is the only solution "parent, don't confirm" as SY advises?

What you do, is open a G8 hair without fitting it, select it, and do Edit/Object/Scene Identification. You can also so Edit/Scene Identification from the scene dropdown. Change Compatibility Base from G8F to G3F. Now you can fit it and everything will work perfectly. You can resave it as a G3F version to not have to refit it again.

Thanks for the suggestion, agent unawares.

Did you mean "preferred base" rather than "compatibility base"?

Yes, I mistyped really wrongly.

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

Purchased with pleasure!

Thanks SickleYieldlaugh

i was so happy to see those turn up.  that was some fine march madness, right there.  :)

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758
    edited March 2018

Does Daz Studio need to be restarted after install? 

I'm loading the G8 clothing into the scene, but after FIT TO, there's no new choices- like you have in the Promo Shot.

Anyone.....?

-------------

Ahhh apparently, a restart is needed....proceeding.

Post edited by Griffin Avid on

You need to save your scene and restart DS, yes.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,151

Thank you hon for this product: https://www.daz3d.com/sy-ultra-templates-genesis-8-male-s and the one for the GF8 too.  I was figuring out how to make a more dynamic looking cape using my skills, D'force and then I came to the rigging part and low and behold the Cape template was there when I needed it.  I can't thank you enough.  Rigging is one of the banes of my existence.  I did have a question about the capes bones.  Is there a way to make an Easy slave dial for the Bend, the Twist and the Side to Side and have it in the upper most part of the cape for quick access??  Thanks again!

You're welcome!  I'm glad it's working for you.

What you want is an ERC freeze.  You pose the cape where you want the endpoint to be (all the way over, all the back, etc.) and then go to Property Hierarchy, right click, and choose ERC freeze.  Use create new on the window that pops up.  It will give you an opportunity to choose the property group.  Traditionally you create one called "Pose Controls."