Facegen 2.0 Released- Now 2.1

Comments

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,146

That looks really good @deathbycanon  How do you get the update?  Most programs, you go to about, version, and it updates for you. I'm not seeing anything like that on the original facegen.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,422
    edited March 2018

That looks really good @deathbycanon  How do you get the update?  Most programs, you go to about, version, and it updates for you. I'm not seeing anything like that on the original facegen.

Assuming you bought it from DAZ, just go to your product library and download the new version.

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,146

Now I feel like an idiot, lol.  Thank you!

• deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227

Assuming you bought it from DAZ, just go to your product library and download the new version.

That would have been easier, I did what they said in the thread to do and sent an email to the facegen people. 

Now I feel like an idiot, lol.  Thank you!

I'll keep you company. lol 

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

Yeah the update is live in the store. All you need to do is download it manually and install. If you have the older versions of FaceGen, it may not replace them. So you may need to manually delete the old version.

I am a little disappointed that the update came with so little fanfare in the store. I had no idea the store had updated. I only knew because I bought FG directly, and I received an email from them about it. But people who bought from Daz never gave FG their email, so they have no way to be contacted. This thread is the only notification people who bought it from Daz currently have. Its a perfect time to have a FaceGen related sale. This update really tackled most of the nagging issues FG had, so it is well worth looking into. And if anybody is on the fence about buying, a free demo is available at FaceGen's website.

I emailed FG support about my suggestion to add an option to export only textures. I was really surprised how they emailed a response soon after, and on a Saturday at that. It wasn't an auto generated response, either. No promises, of course, but it is something they'll look into doing. I think this would be a fun option to have. It would let users experiment with a variety of textures without having to create a new head morph every time.

What I have done is use GIMP to alter the original textures, removing birthmarks, moles and shaving marks, and then use these altered textures for FG's exporting. That saves a lot of time, because I usually alter them a lot afterwards. 

• thanks for updating us about this just installed and started it up and just looking at the menus looks like we have a lot more options even remembers shows where I've saved to on my other drive. Got a question there is a custom section that has seperate? options for besides face, arms, legs and torso I clicked the buttons and it looks like you can do something to those textures? 

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    edited March 2018

I bought from Daz, but sent FG an email as the store hadn't yet received it.

... And I reported a bug, which the 2.1 version fixes. So cudos on rapidly sorting that out.

Edit

If interested, the bug related to exporting when one has a lot of custom libraries (I have nearly 30); some of the buttons were not accessible.

Post edited by nicstt on

thanks for updating us about this just installed and started it up and just looking at the menus looks like we have a lot more options even remembers shows where I've saved to on my other drive. Got a question there is a custom section that has seperate? options for besides face, arms, legs and torso I clicked the buttons and it looks like you can do something to those textures? 

You can load up any texture you want now! So you can use Victoria 8 textures instead of base Genesis 8. Or Greylien. Whatever you want, as long as the UV matches the base. I have not experimented much with this yet myself. FG still seems to work best with the base textures. But now you can edit the base textures to your liking and have FG use them instead.

edited March 2018

Here's another character mashup that started with facegen 

Lola1.jpg
    618 x 1000 - 62K
    Post edited by deathbycanon on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,754
    edited March 2018

This is one I did with just the FaceGen demo before I bought it. This was a texture that came with it and I think is one of the more realistic renders I've done (even with the blue demo mark in her hair LOL)  I haven't used it for a while. Hope I remember how! I wonder why Daz didn't inform us there was an update? 

Weird, now that I look at this again, I can't tell if there is an undershirt under the pink shirt, and if not, what is that weird neckline? 

EthnicGirl Beautiful Skin.png
    620 x 529 - 98K
    Post edited by Wonderland on
  • HorusRaHorusRa Posts: 1,662
    edited March 2019

Post edited by HorusRa on
  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,459

Thanks for the info! Mine isn't showing in my DIM. Maybe I've set something wrong... but downloaded it manually, so it's all good. TY!

I don't think it works in DIM as FG is a 3rd party program.

This is one I did with just the FaceGen demo before I bought it. This was a texture that came with it and I think is one of the more realistic renders I've done (even with the blue demo mark in her hair LOL)  I haven't used it for a while. Hope I remember how! I wonder why Daz didn't inform us there was an update? 

Weird, now that I look at this again, I can't tell if there is an undershirt under the pink shirt, and if not, what is that weird neckline? 

That must be the shirt. I've never seen FG do that, and the neck line would be in the upper middle of the torso texture. FG does not alter the torso texture, all it does is tint it to match the face color.

Is this Genesis 1 or 2 by chance? Genesis 1 and 2 have multiple surface sections, and divide the neck and the torso. So it is possible you have the texture or Iray settings only applied to the neck and missed the torso. If so, it is better to use the templates to apply skin textures to avoid that. Its quicker, too.
  • I tried the demo version of this tool, and the likeness of the target personality is really remarkable with very little effort. It seems to me that the Artist Pro version would be worth having, but has anyone ever known it to go on sale? It's a pricey little experiment.

• AtiAti Posts: 9,094
    masi3vee said:

I tried the demo version of this tool, and the likeness of the target personality is really remarkable with very little effort. It seems to me that the Artist Pro version would be worth having, but has anyone ever known it to go on sale? It's a pricey little experiment.

In the past it was on sale quite often:

fg.PNG
    1230 x 482 - 514K
  • RenderPretenderRenderPretender Posts: 1,034
    edited March 2018
    Ati said:
    masi3vee said:

I tried the demo version of this tool, and the likeness of the target personality is really remarkable with very little effort. It seems to me that the Artist Pro version would be worth having, but has anyone ever known it to go on sale? It's a pricey little experiment.

In the past it was on sale quite often:

Thank you... good to know!

Post edited by RenderPretender on
    On that note, the Daz deals browser add on is super helpful for knowing when and what is on sale. Get it, wishlist FaceGen, and you'll get emailed the moment it goes on sale.
  • On that note, the Daz deals browser add on is super helpful for knowing when and what is on sale. Get it, wishlist FaceGen, and you'll get emailed the moment it goes on sale.

Excellent, I'll try to find it... thank you!

edited April 2018

Just bringing the topic back up, I'm playing with the random dial this week. :) 

Random Guy #1 G8:

I like his asymmetricness, is that a word? The eye on our left is higher then the one on our right but the photographer in me still minimized with posing. :) 

Derik.jpg
    715 x 1000 - 74K
    edited April 2018

Randomly generated guy #2 G8m = I really like that he looks like a normal everyday guy you see around town, no super models here.

carlos2.jpg
    833 x 1000 - 48K
  • BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

Both of those came out really well, deathbycanon, but I particularly like the second one. I could so easily imagine him loading up his motor in the supermarket car park after getting the shopping in or walking across a pub beer garden with a pint in each hand. He wouldn't be at all difficult to invent stories for and would look as good in anybody's runtime as anything you could buy in the store.

Both of those came out really well, deathbycanon, but I particularly like the second one. I could so easily imagine him loading up his motor in the supermarket car park after getting the shopping in or walking across a pub beer garden with a pint in each hand. He wouldn't be at all difficult to invent stories for and would look as good in anybody's runtime as anything you could buy in the store.

Thanks Astracadia, I was thinking "He looks like some guy I've seen at the grocery store buying a 6 pack" So we are totally on the same page. lol 

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited April 2018

This product really needs to be updated to make it more clear that it's now compatible with Genesis 8 figures. In the "Compatible Figures" list it doesn't even mention Genesis 8, and in the product's description it says "Faces can be applied to Daz Genesis, Genesis 2 Male and Female, and Genesis 3 Male and Female meshes."  - with no mention of Genesis 8 there in the "details" section. 

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • No doubt.  Those new features are a pretty big selling point.

It does mention it in a section with the changelog, though it really needs the description. I wonder if that is Daz or FG themselves left that out. I'd contact Facegen to let them know. And they should update the description in general because they kind of sell it short. It could use a video or something.
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,956
    It does mention it in a section with the changelog, though it really needs the description. I wonder if that is Daz or FG themselves left that out. I'd contact Facegen to let them know. And they should update the description in general because they kind of sell it short. It could use a video or something.

Oh it's DAZ that is responsible for updating the capatibility in the store description. The FaceGen Author stated that it need to be updated as you can see in the changelog.

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

If I redownload it in the Daz store, will that be the updated version, or should I go to the creator's website?

edited April 2018
    The Daz store version has updated, yes. I also updated the opening post to show this.
    Post edited by outrider42 on
  • OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    The Daz store version has updated, yes. I also updated the opening post to show this.

Okay, thank you!

• xXQuatroXxxXQuatroXx Posts: 173

thanks for updating us about this just installed and started it up and just looking at the menus looks like we have a lot more options even remembers shows where I've saved to on my other drive. Got a question there is a custom section that has seperate? options for besides face, arms, legs and torso I clicked the buttons and it looks like you can do something to those textures? 

You can load up any texture you want now! So you can use Victoria 8 textures instead of base Genesis 8. Or Greylien. Whatever you want, as long as the UV matches the base. I have not experimented much with this yet myself. FG still seems to work best with the base textures. But now you can edit the base textures to your liking and have FG use them instead.

Does this mean i first load victoria 8. Then set the uv to base. The save it. Then load up FG with the face i want then set it to custom and load victoria textures and export then open the file i saved and load in the face dail and tExtures? Or is there another way? I find that if i use the genesis 8 basis model and load in FG textures the face loses its general sructure of the pores... so when you zoom in there is less detail then normal