The "Complaints 'R' Us, complaint thread"

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,705

I like my touchscreen now that I found a game that it works with well.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,017

Non-complaint:  The last couple of weeks has been prime maple sap season.  Freezing nights and above freezing days, makes the sap rise during the day and fall back to the roots during the night.  Weather like this makes the trees produce a lot of sap.  Should be a good year for maple syrup if this type of weather lasts another couple of weeks.  I care because I have family in the business.  Some of my earliest memories from back in the early '50s were visiting the "sugar shack" and watching the huge trays of sap boiling down into thicker and thicker forms until it comes out of the last tray almost syrup, where it's taken into the house to finish boiling off into quality syrup under close watch.  Or continue boiling until it starts to crystalize and is poured into forms to make maple sugar candy.  Mmmm, yum!  smiley

I'm so old I remember the horse drawn sleds that carried the hundreds of galvanized buckets to the tapped trees in the forest, and the barrels of sap back to the sugar shack.  Then after being out in the snow for a couple of hours,walking into the sugar shack and being hit by the warm steam that smelled of maple.  Making a clean, pure, snowball and having hot maple syrup dripped on it. yes  "Wax on snow".

Now days of course tractors or snowmobiles take the place of the horses and some places have the trees literally plumbed to drip their collection through tubing directly down slope into collection vats.

Don't know why I'm waxing so nostalgic today. indecision

NVIATWAS said:

I like birds if they're outdoors, like the small group of mourning doves this morning. Very handsome birds, mourning doves.

As far as pets, I prefer, in order: freshwater tropical fish, lizards, snakes.  Then dogs. Hamsters might be interesting, too.

And they make good food for snakes. devil

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,584
    Tjohn said:
    kyoto kid said:

That Federal Building looks just like the Old Post Office in Washington, DC.  Unfortunately it's now the (*cringe*) Trump hotel within sight of the White House. indecision

...yeah the old Gimbels department store building (lots of memories there from growing up) is also now a hotel, but at least it's a Marriot Residence hotel.

In it's original form...

After Marriot bought the building...

Before and after the world clanged from black and white to color. smiley

..that too.  Amazing I could not find a good colour photo from a similar angle before the conversion  Didn't have all that highly reflective tinted glass back then.

Tjohn said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Tjohn said:

The old milwaukee architecture I'm most familiar with.

...one I keep trying to forget myself.  We used to call it "Old Swillwaukee"

To a college student in the 70's, the cheaper the beer, the better. Old Mil' was the cheapest around. wink

...never had "BEER"?

• NVIATWASNVIATWAS Posts: 1,242
    Tjohn said:
    DanaTA said:
    Tjohn said:
    DanaTA said:
    NVIATWAS said:
    DanaTA said:
    NVIATWAS said:
    kyoto kid said:
    NVIATWAS said:
    Mistara said:
    NVIATWAS said:

Another nor'easter on Tuesday.  This makes 3 in about 2 weeks. First one knocked out power for 5 days and came on just in time for the 2nd one.  I'm so over winter already.

Someon has ticked off Mother Nature... :-/

it not nice to fool mother nature.

heard a mourning dove this morning, was a mournful complaint about the cold.

Mourning doves are very successful birds around here.  There's a large tree outside my window that is a favorite location, right before dawn I get 3-4 of them cooing away.  Very pretty birds, as well. :-)

...I miss the sound of their cooing, very comforting. Heard only one in all the time I've lived here and it was near the business park where I used to work on the far west side of the metro area.

Awww. :-( Right now (8:05am) I hear mourning doves, a hawk in the distance, and a few crabby grackles.  The grackles ruin everything... :-/

They're kind of cool looking, with that irridecent blue, green or purple...but they swarm and eat all the seed in my bird feeder.  They seem to go away for the winter, but they're back now.

Dana

Ours here in Austin make odd noises, like shorting elecrical transformers.  Very alarming! Bzzzzt crackle CAW! :-O

Yes, sort of a metallic kind of klink.  Very odd.  They scare away nicer looking and smaller birds from the feeder.  But they scare easily themselves.  I just go to the kitchen window and wave an arm, off they go.  Once I saved one that was caught in my neighbor's stockade fence.  He apparently slipped off his perch on top of one of the pickets ans down between two of them.  His leg was caught.  I tried to reach for him to lift him up, but it pecked at me and tried to scratch me with the loose foot.  So I came back, got a table knife and a piece of cardboard (as a blinder) and slid his foot up and out from between the pickets.  Off he went, withough even a thank you!   cheeky

Dana

Dana

Here we just shoot grackles with a BB gun.

sad

Dana

Please understand when you grow up on a farm like I did, the family relies on a vegetable garden for much of the food we ate year-round. We canned and froze much of our summer crops. Some birds such as crows, starlings and grackles are garden pests and have to be controlled or they can cause great damage to crops. My brother and I still make a garden in the summer.

Sounds like my grandfather's farm in Michigan.  When I was there I helped keep the birds away after seeding, I had a BB gun and grandpa had a shotgun.

If it's birds or crops, adios birds.

No garden here, so they're just entertainment.

Tjohn said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Tjohn said:

The old milwaukee architecture I'm most familiar with.

...one I keep trying to forget myself.  We used to call it "Old Swillwaukee"

To a college student in the 70's, the cheaper the beer, the better. Old Mil' was the cheapest around. wink

The cheapest beer I've ever had was at a fraternity party at Virginia Tech, when my friend Gary invited me down.  Generic white can labeled 'BEER'. Dubious flavor but it had alcohol in it, so we drank it. :-|

..there was also LIGHT BEER

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,176
    edited March 2018
    Tjohn said:
    DanaTA said:
    Tjohn said:
    DanaTA said:
    NVIATWAS said:
    DanaTA said:
    NVIATWAS said:
    kyoto kid said:
    NVIATWAS said:
    Mistara said:
    NVIATWAS said:

Another nor'easter on Tuesday.  This makes 3 in about 2 weeks. First one knocked out power for 5 days and came on just in time for the 2nd one.  I'm so over winter already.

Mourning doves are very successful birds around here.  There's a large tree outside my window that is a favorite location, right before dawn I get 3-4 of them cooing away.  Very pretty birds, as well. :-)

...I miss the sound of their cooing, very comforting. Heard only one in all the time I've lived here and it was near the business park where I used to work on the far west side of the metro area.

Awww. :-( Right now (8:05am) I hear mourning doves, a hawk in the distance, and a few crabby grackles.  The grackles ruin everything... :-/

They're kind of cool looking, with that irridecent blue, green or purple...but they swarm and eat all the seed in my bird feeder.  They seem to go away for the winter, but they're back now.

Dana

Ours here in Austin make odd noises, like shorting elecrical transformers.  Very alarming! Bzzzzt crackle CAW! :-O

Yes, sort of a metallic kind of klink.  Very odd.  They scare away nicer looking and smaller birds from the feeder.  But they scare easily themselves.  I just go to the kitchen window and wave an arm, off they go.  Once I saved one that was caught in my neighbor's stockade fence.  He apparently slipped off his perch on top of one of the pickets ans down between two of them.  His leg was caught.  I tried to reach for him to lift him up, but it pecked at me and tried to scratch me with the loose foot.  So I came back, got a table knife and a piece of cardboard (as a blinder) and slid his foot up and out from between the pickets.  Off he went, withough even a thank you!   cheeky

Dana

Dana

sad

Dana

Please understand when you grow up on a farm like I did, the family relies on a vegetable garden for much of the food we ate year-round. We canned and froze much of our summer crops. Some birds such as crows, starlings and grackles are garden pests and have to be controlled or they can cause great damage to crops. My brother and I still make a garden in the summer.

And "Four and Twenty Blackbirds Baked in a Pie" wasn't just a line from a nursery rhyme. surprise

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    kyoto kid said:

My experience was in the mid-80s, I don't think we had LIGHT BEER, no loss though. :-/  Yecch, barf, puke, chunder...

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Chohole said:

Complaint  
    Pen y Fan is the highest mountain in the Brecon Beacons range. I live in what is poetically called "The foothills of the Brecon Beacons"

Pen y fan yesterday (taken  from the ski centre)

and today

must be an incredible downhill sleigh ride

wouldnt fancy the uphill return trip tho  lol

sunDAE dayheart

edited March 2018
    NVIATWAS said:
    kyoto kid said:

My experience was in the mid-80s, I don't think we had LIGHT BEER, no loss though. :-/  Yecch, barf, puke, chunder...

My experience was not with beer, but wine.  Went to a Thanksgiving Day party during my hippie era when none of us had much money, and the hosts were so happy to have gotten enough wine to have a party.  I don't know what it was but it came in a gallon jug with a screw top and tasted like oily kerosene or bitter cooking oil.  I did not finish the glass.  It was so bad that despite not remembering much from the late '60s and early '70s I remember that so-called wine. (*blech, yuk, ptoo*). indecision --- Then I vaguely remember that officer Obie came to the door askin' us 'bout a piece of paper found under a pile of garbage ... devil

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    NVIATWAS said:
    kyoto kid said:

My experience was not with beer, but wine.  Went to a Thanksgiving Day party during my hippie era and the hosts were so happy to have gotten enough wine to have a party.  I don't know what it was but it came in a gallon jug with a screw top and tasted like oily kerosene or bitter cooking oil.  I did not finish the glass.  It was so bad that despite not remembering much from the late '60s and early '70s I remember that so-called wine. (*blech, yuk, ptoo*). indecision --- Then officer Obie came to the door askin' us 'bout a piece of paper found under a pile of garbage ... devil

at Alices Restaurant?

kyoto kid said:
    carrie58 said:

I have a question ...can anybody complain here or is it a private complaint thread?

...complain away, that's what it's here for.

winj binj too smiley

Mistara said:
    NVIATWAS said:
    kyoto kid said:

My experience was not with beer, but wine.  Went to a Thanksgiving Day party during my hippie era and the hosts were so happy to have gotten enough wine to have a party.  I don't know what it was but it came in a gallon jug with a screw top and tasted like oily kerosene or bitter cooking oil.  I did not finish the glass.  It was so bad that despite not remembering much from the late '60s and early '70s I remember that so-called wine. (*blech, yuk, ptoo*). indecision --- Then officer Obie came to the door askin' us 'bout a piece of paper found under a pile of garbage ... devil

at Alices Restaurant?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m57gzA2JCcM

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,705

It is 3 PM and I am hungry.

I wanted to sleep in today,

sleepin in is always a good idea

snow on the ground outside - no go out theres

kyoto kid said:

...hey hey hey kids it's that day again.

orange peel on hid nose?

NVIATWAS said:
    kyoto kid said:

My experience was not with beer, but wine.  Went to a Thanksgiving Day party during my hippie era when none of us had much money, and the hosts were so happy to have gotten enough wine to have a party.  I don't know what it was but it came in a gallon jug with a screw top and tasted like oily kerosene or bitter cooking oil.  I did not finish the glass.  It was so bad that despite not remembering much from the late '60s and early '70s I remember that so-called wine. (*blech, yuk, ptoo*). indecision --- Then I vaguely remember that officer Obie came to the door askin' us 'bout a piece of paper found under a pile of garbage ... devil

I'd rather drink bad beer than bad wine... ugh...

Mistara said:
    Mistara said:
    NVIATWAS said:
    Mistara said:

ides of march

et tu brutus day?

I want to know what Brutus et two of.  Donuts? Tacos? :-/

Perhaps brutus is not the eater, but the eaten? surprise  i.e. I had a great breakfast, et tu brutus today.

wasnt he a character on popeye?

mebbe he was eatin that hamberger guy's hamburgers, and that's why he always needed to borrow money for hamburgers

"Bluto" vs "Brutus" https://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1548/is-popeyes-nemesis-named-bluto-or-brutus/

neither of those spell the same backwards and forwards

hannah

True, but they also have nothing to do with the price of tea in China. indecision

unless they're egg farmers in China,  Brute and Bluto dont seem the farmer type, but who knows what Bluto was doing before he heard the siren call of the sailor's life

edited March 2018
    Mistara said:
    NVIATWAS said:
    kyoto kid said:

at Alices Restaurant?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m57gzA2JCcM

yup, that the one!!!

a red vw microbus, not the chartrues one

Post edited by Mistara on
    NVIATWAS said:
    NVIATWAS said:
    kyoto kid said:

I'd rather drink bad beer than bad wine... ugh...

double ugh!!

NVIATWAS said:
    kyoto kid said:

Maybe Thunderbird™, Ripple™ or Night Train™. laugh

there are really tigers in Siberia?

tigers like the snow?

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    Tjohn said:
    DanaTA said:
    Tjohn said:
    DanaTA said:
    NVIATWAS said:
    DanaTA said:
    NVIATWAS said:
    kyoto kid said:
    NVIATWAS said:
    Mistara said:
    NVIATWAS said:

Dana

Dana

Dana

sad

Dana

I can understand that.

Dana

Tjohn said:
    NVIATWAS said:
    kyoto kid said:

Ripple was big when I was in high school...and Boone's Farm Apple!   laugh

Dana

DanaTA said:
    Tjohn said:
    DanaTA said:
    Tjohn said:
    DanaTA said:
    NVIATWAS said:
    DanaTA said:
    NVIATWAS said:
    kyoto kid said:
    NVIATWAS said:
    Mistara said:
    NVIATWAS said:

Dana

Dana

Dana

sad

Dana

I can understand that.

Dana

Tjohn said:
    NVIATWAS said:
    kyoto kid said:

Ripple was big when I was in high school...and Boone's Farm Apple!   laugh

Dana

Ripple, Boone's Farm, Night Train,Thunderbird, Mogen David (Mad Dog).. wow, I got a painful hangover just typing that!!! :-O

waitin for the deliveryman/person

garlic knots, penne pesto rosso, and a mini canoli

yup held back on the full size canoli

work to do, modeling a skooma bottle

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited March 2018
    Mistara said:

waitin for the deliveryman/person

garlic knots, penne pesto rosso, and a mini canoli

yup held back on the full size canoli

work to do, modeling a skooma bottle