Genesis Custom-Dialed Character Contest (WIP/Discussion thread - now with results posted!)

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited June 2013

Image removed

Post edited by Szark on
  • KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Saiyaness said:
    Kattey said:
    Just some attempt of morph mixing.

That's a really cool morph! Good job!
    Thank you :)

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

DaremoK3 said:
    scorpio64dragon:

Love your entry. Those "natives" are quite outstanding. Great work all around.

Thank you.

edited December 1969

DaremoK3 said:
    scorpio64dragon:

Love your entry. Those "natives" are quite outstanding. Great work all around.

Thank you.I agree great work and the background works to complement the characters. I do lust after those HFS Shapes though. They do look good.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    I am hoping this entry will do well in the Best Likeness category, although I can see so many problems that I just can't seem to fix with my current list of morphs. So, I am posting this WIP here for some feedback.

Love it! What type of morphs are you needing? Whatcha trying to do?

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited December 1969

This is what I'm working on so far. Actually HAD planned to make another render for the PC item contest... but somehow I started ended up playing with the morphs instead, and decided to keep this guy for this ^^

He could need some scars to fit my image of him, and he need finetuning... but so far so good, here is Aldrak (name might change along the way)

Aldrak1.jpg
    1747 x 896 - 335K
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Ok WIP test render and I DON'T CARE if others use my settings (when I post) for something else. I really don't care at all...honest I don't. :) Just don't use them for this comp or I will send the BWC around to tickle you until you pee your pants.

Very nice :)

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Nice idea, Carola. You may use shaders from this product to add scars and so on: http://www.daz3d.com/hybrid-grunge-bundle-for-daz-studio. Which PC item contest you're speaking of, if I may ask? Also, did you make the eyes and skin textures yourself?

edited June 2013

I have that bundle, but couldn't make scars out of it, might be missing something *ponders*

The skin texture is Brennan from RawArt, and the eyes (and part of his body) are from Jepe's Kenny. I didn't put up the morphs since I figured things might still change around a fair bit :)

Post edited by Carola O on
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2013

You can do scars with the cracks from http://www.daz3d.com/grime-inizer-for-daz-studio in that bundle, or even try using the stuff meant for clothing on his skin.

I'm not sure if they've been updated for 4.5+ though.

You can also take the texture maps from that bundle and use them with LIE to create overlays.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

uhm.. the LIE and overlays went straight over my head truth to be told... and the cracks and such will be all over the area I choose.. like if I mark the chest it will be the chest and the back etc.

I just want to be able to put a few scars at a few different places :) but I might see how it look with the cracks on him... and the bundle works quite fine for me in 4.6 :)

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2013

When you go to the surfaces tab for an item, click the texture on the diffuse and select Layered Image Editor. This works just like a layer panel in say photoshop or gimp. You select add layer, then choose one of the textures from that set. From there you can (iirc) change color, opacity, etc.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    Szark said:
    Ok WIP test render and I DON'T CARE if others use my settings (when I post) for something else. I really don't care at all...honest I don't. :) Just don't use them for this comp or I will send the BWC around to tickle you until you pee your pants.

Very nice :)Thank you Gedd

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Experimenting with mixtures of GenX morphs and regular Genesis morphs. Sadly, the dress hides most of the body figure changes, so I might have to reconsider it and use the daydream dress or similar figure hugging outfits. I quite like how the face came out, though I did have to make some alterations when I realised that one of the morphs I was including wasn't freely available (Hint: It was Wancow's Belle morph).

Competition.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
  • SzundownSzundown Posts: 16
    edited March 2014

Post edited by Szundown on
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

Szundown said:
    I've been working on my character and I have dialed in the body pretty much where I want it to be but the problem is the abs are way too defined. I only have the evolution morphs for the body so I would like to take it into zbrush and soften that area but I don't want to violate the rules. So would that be allowed or is there a work around solution? Worst case scenario I can just have a full length shirt or something I guess. TIA
    Why not simply tone down the percentage of the morph used?
    edited December 1969

Szundown said:
    I've been working on my character and I have dialed in the body pretty much where I want it to be but the problem is the abs are way too defined. I only have the evolution morphs for the body so I would like to take it into zbrush and soften that area but I don't want to violate the rules. So would that be allowed or is there a work around solution? Worst case scenario I can just have a full length shirt or something I guess. TIA

I could but I like the way the arms and legs etc look and I can't isolate it to just the abs. It's fitness details and body tone that are causing it and they morph all over. Unless there is a way to mask an area that I don't know about....?

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited June 2013

Some exciting news: DAZ 3D is going to sponsor this contest! The exact prizes they are contributing are yet to be determined. I've updated the first post and will do so again when we learn what their contribution will be.

I've added the following to the official rules: Addition to rules (2013/06/03): By entering this contest, you agree to allow DAZ3D to use any artwork you submit in any promotional materials they may choose. Entering this contest is considered a commercial use, so you should not use any content that is not licensed for commercial use.

(In many of the contests DAZ sponsors, they reserve the right to use submissions in promotional materials...they don't always use the art, but they like to have the option available)

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

Szundown said:
    Szundown said:

I could but I like the way the arms and legs etc look and I can't isolate it to just the abs. It's fitness details and body tone that are causing it and they morph all over. Unless there is a way to mask an area that I don't know about....?No, but if you get Ramwolf's free Genesis morphs, they include arm and leg muscle morphs that you should be able to use to "re"-augment the muscularity tone in the arms and legs, while toning down the abdomen by reducing the percentage of the Fitness or Body Tone morphs.

edited December 1969

Great work so far, everyone! :)

Remember if you are submitting an entry, please read the rules and make sure you include all the necessary information (including morph formula, software used, products used in creating the character, and the name of the character).

edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    I am hoping this entry will do well in the Best Likeness category, although I can see so many problems that I just can't seem to fix with my current list of morphs. So, I am posting this WIP here for some feedback.

Looking great so far! His skin is very smooth, though...consider some aging morphs (either Zev0's or others...there's an Old morph in the DieTrying set, for instance)....and/or use displacement to add some wrinkle. I'm assuming you want him to look like the movie version of the character.
    edited December 1969

DaremoK3 said:
    Thank you, Scott.

No issue with previously posting this image. This WIP thread was first place ever posted, but I hope that posting here does not constitute a breach since this is my final I was trying to enter last night (would have been first entry into contest, giving me at least one first place title).

If so, I can modify it slightly before official entry. Although, I would rather not.

Can I at least get "brownie points" for turning this (image below) into the Brownie Monster? :

Yes, posting your final entry in the WIP thread, and then posting it in the entry thread, is allowed.

That is an impressive transformation!

edited December 1969

Szundown said:
    Szundown said:

I could but I like the way the arms and legs etc look and I can't isolate it to just the abs. It's fitness details and body tone that are causing it and they morph all over. Unless there is a way to mask an area that I don't know about....?No, but if you get Ramwolf's free Genesis morphs, they include arm and leg muscle morphs that you should be able to use to "re"-augment the muscularity tone in the arms and legs, while toning down the abdomen by reducing the percentage of the Fitness or Body Tone morphs.

Thanks Tramp Graphics for the suggestion and the link, I'll check these out.

edited December 1969

Szundown said:

A couple of possibilities:
    1. Make a custom morph. If you release that morph as a freebie, and link to it in your entry, it's fine to use. I think an ab-smoothing freebie morph is something that a lot of people would probably find useful...
    2. If you own Michael 5, try dialing in the Michael 5 Smooth shape. It'll change the limbs somewhat, but (at least to me) it's most noticeable on the abs.
    edited December 1969

Szundown said:

A couple of possibilities:
    1. Make a custom morph. If you release that morph as a freebie, and link to it in your entry, it's fine to use. I think an ab-smoothing freebie morph is something that a lot of people would probably find useful...
    2. If you own Michael 5, try dialing in the Michael 5 Smooth shape. It'll change the limbs somewhat, but (at least to me) it's most noticeable on the abs.

I don't own M5 yet, but the ab smoothing morph sounds like an interesting project...I'm gonna experiment with that...thanks

edited December 1969

I made two ab smoothing morphs, one for fitness details and one for body builder details. I gotta say making a morph to counteract part of another morph is not so easy and they didn't turn out perfect but I think they work ok and really helped my character. I will put them up on renderosity as freebies and will post a link here when they are available.

I saved them on my computer so they show up under the parameters tab and morphs> morph loader. If anyone thinks they would be better somewhere else please give me your input and I'll try and make them so they are more user friendly.

Here are two posts showing before and after.

Capture2.JPG
    1394 x 880 - 96K
    Capture1.JPG
    1384 x 876 - 91K
  • ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

7. You must use a variety of morphs from different sources in the creation of your character.

Heh, this may take some getting used to after typically using only the DieTrying morphs with the occasional small adjustment. But I'm certainly looking forward to this contest.

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

Thank you Scott

nr:2

Morph_contest_Creature.jpg
    800 x 1035 - 286K
    morph_creature_blanco.jpg
    618 x 800 - 60K
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

Sasje - that's really cool

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835