Genesis Custom-Dialed Character Contest (WIP/Discussion thread - now with results posted!)

Comments

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
    edited December 1969

Still planning who will be my second entry.

Render_12.jpg
    924 x 1065 - 514K
    Render_2_(2).jpg
    924 x 1065 - 510K
    Render_7.jpg
    924 x 1065 - 405K
  • cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    They aren't in essentials, that was a mistake. They are in 'Creature Creator Heads' which is part of the Creature Creator Bundle.

Apologies, I am not very skilled with recognizing what's from which product :-D . But yes, I find that bundle very useful.

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

Vera

morph_potrait_child.jpg
    800 x 1035 - 347K
    morph_potrait_child_blanco.jpg
    618 x 800 - 67K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

middle one for me
  • Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

Fabulous! Thanks for letting us old stick in the muds have fun too :wink:

Ah, yes, that particular part of the fine print...I struggled a bit with that decision (as it is intended to be, first and foremost, a Genesis character competition). Ultimately I decided that if you have an interesting custom character to share, and your entry conforms to all the stated rules, that you shouldn't be disqualified due to your choice of figure. So yes: you can enter a Gen 4 character.

Thank you. I enjoy character creation contests.

I love your Lizard People from the planet Amoepush, and you did a great job with their skin.
    I hope its not just for Genesis, you create such wonderful and unique characters - I would love to see what you can come up with.

edited June 2013

This is Kisiki. I'm not totally happy with her feet. Creature Creator needed Gecko Toes. But, they are going to be hidden anyway in boots. Soo ... she's just going to have to live with thick ankles and dinky toes.

She uses
    Victoria 4.2 Morphs++
    Stephanie 4 Elite Base
    She Freak V4
    Victoria 4.2 Creature Creator Morphs
    Victoria 4.2 Muscle Morphs
    V4 Elite Body Shapes
    V4 Elite Ethnic Faces (International Faces)
    Aiko 4 Base

Since there are a lot of dialed morphs, I won't list them here, but in the entries thread.

Kisiki_Body.png
    711 x 949 - 429K
    Kisiki_Head_Front.png
    711 x 949 - 348K
    Kisiki_Head_Side.png
    711 x 949 - 283K
    Kisiki_Head_Side2.png
    711 x 949 - 288K
    Post edited by Satira Capriccio on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Yeah I wondered why we didn't get Gecko toes to go with the hands.

• lface8lface8 Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

This is Kisiki. I'm not totally happy with her feet. Creature Creator needed Gecko Toes. But, they are going to be hidden anyway in boots. Soo ... she's just going to have to live with thick ankles and dinky toes.

She uses
    Victoria 4.2 Morphs++
    Stephanie 4 Elite Base
    She Freak V4
    Victoria 4.2 Creature Creator Morphs
    Victoria 4.2 Muscle Morphs
    V4 Elite Body Shapes
    V4 Elite Ethnic Faces (International Faces)
    Aiko 4 Base

Since there are a lot of dialed morphs, I won't list them here, but in the entries thread.

That kind of reminds me of Dren from the movie Splice.
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760
    edited June 2013

Greycat said:
    I’m a big fan of Masamune Shirow. Here’s my take on one of his classic manga girls.

Nice! The one in blue really hits it on the head. Shirow’s proportions are tricky to nail down, as his girls are all legs, flat rears, unusually.. er... realistic in the chest department and equipped with chins that could open a can of coffee. ;)

Here’s my own take on the femme fatale I consider the ultimate Shirow girl: Commando/E-Swat Officer Deunan Knute from APPLESEED. I’ll be honest and say that a huge part of the reason this succeeds as well as it does is because of the skin: the marvelous Stalker Girl by Smay, which is by far the best “battle-tested” female texture I’ve ever come across. I’m not really satisfied with the hair, which is the A4 Bandanana hair from the old Daz free library, but it’s the closest I’ve found so far.

Morphs Used:

From DAZ:
    Stalker Girl
    Aiko 5
    Hitomi
    Satsuki
    Victoria 5 Supermodel
    Nata
    Bend Morphs for Genesis
    Glute and breast morphs for Genesis
    NGM for Genesis
    Genesis Evolution: Muscularity
    Genesis Evolution Head Morphs
    Genesis Evolution Body Morphs
    Fantasy Shapes for Genesis
    Feminine Touch for Genesis
    Genesis Creature Creator Heads
    A4
    A3
    H5
    V4

From ShareCG:
    Die Trying’s 182 V4 Morphs for Genesis

Deunan_Knuteral_Pose_TEST.jpg
    1545 x 2000 - 469K
    DK_Parameters_2.jpg
    2000 x 1009 - 974K
    DK_Parameters_1.jpg
    2000 x 1009 - 945K
    Deunan_2_TEST_N.jpg
    1000 x 1647 - 731K
    Deunan_Knute_F-B.jpg
    2000 x 1596 - 595K
    Post edited by Cybersox on
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760
    edited December 1969

I was pondering recently (while working on Lucy) what other real-world animals might be achievable with Genesis... Other apes and monkeys wouldn't be too difficult, I guess...but what about a bat? Or a frog? Gotta admit, the idea of a ground sloth never crossed my mind!

I've done a wide variety of Apes and Monkeys... the result of seeing Planet of the APes and King Kong way too many times as a kid, but I'm amazed at what vendors have made available for Genesis already. RawArt, in particular, makes up a large section of my runtime as he keeps knocking out new twists, and I'm very excited that Joe Quick's now here at DAZ and focusing on Genesis.

A bat, huh..?. The big problem I can see would be doing it realistically, with the wings made from the arms and fingers. The closest I've seen is Nathy and Hal1's Strigoi, but even that's a bit of a cheat as there are too many digits. Something to think about, though...

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

mmalbert said:
    And one more, though this one is still a work-in-progress. Started her last night. Aine uses Morphia and Morphs++.

I bought all those morph sets, including almost all the CDI sets, and figured I should do something with them. Also, I finally got around to using the DAZ Gargoyle, that weird tree branch hair I bought just...because, and all those elf/fairy outfits I keep buying and then don't use. :)

Edited to add that the texture is an old V3 one by samil, converted to V4.

Two very good characters there! With Nora I think you definitely succeeded in achieving the realistic proportions, and she definitely seems to have her own personality, too.

Aine is a very interesting and unique character...I think you found a good use for those products! I really like the scene you've put her in too, and the lighting. Looking forward to seeing more...

(If you do decide to enter either of these, keep in mind the rule about using a variety of morphs from different sources)

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Just wanted to say I checked the entry thread and WOW. You folks are making it hard on the judges! Your entries have so much personality that its unbelievable.

• mmalbertmmalbert Posts: 412
    edited December 1969

Sasje said:
    Vera

What a cutie!

That's an awesome character. I bought the Creature V4 and M4 morphs ages ago, but I've never done anything with them. This inspires me to try something.

(If you do decide to enter either of these, keep in mind the rule about using a variety of morphs from different sources)

Thanks for the feedback. Nora is pretty much the antithesis of the contest rules, isn't she? Hah, sorry about that! I was pleased with what I'd managed to do with the least amount of morphs packages, so...yeah. She's going to be a general freebie anyway, which means I wouldn't have entered her.

Morphia has a lot of options, but her injection situation isn't like the other Gen4 CDI sets. As far as I can tell, you can only inject V4's Morphs++ into the Morphia cr2.

Hmmm...maybe I can recreate Aine using the Faerime morphs instead, which means I could also use some A4, Elite, and S4 dials.

edited December 1969

Thank you mmalbert

edited December 1969

Does somebody know where I can find this for genesis eyes in daz studio ??

wallpaper_angelina-jolie_zoeken.jpg
    800 x 500 - 127K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Sasje said:
    Does somebody know where I can find this for genesis eyes in daz studio ??
    They are in this product http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-head-morph-resource-kit-4 I have all the kits.
    edited December 1969

Thank you Jaderail :))

• greysgreys Posts: 335
    edited December 1969

Question - how does the 'counts as commercial render' and 'Daz having the rights to reproduce the image' thing work with the lookalike portion of the contest? And do Daz only have rights to the render, or to the formula as well?

edited June 2013

Sasje said:
    This is fun to do to create different types :)

At first glance he looks rather kindly and jovial...but the longer I look at his face, I start getting suspicious that the source of his amusement is a joke at my (the viewer's) expense...kind of an uneasy feeling. [Edit: that's not a bad thing--it makes him more interesting in my opinion.] The lighting and skin in your render look very realistic, adding a lifelike feel to a character who otherwise strikes me as slightly surreal.
    Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    middle one for me
    I like the middle one a lot, and the top one also. On the third one, the best part for me is the facial expressions...they make me want to know more about who these characters are.
    edited June 2013

She has a very naturalistic, believable appearance for a fantasy character. Kind of reminds me of the characters in The Dark Crystal. I agree that the feet are unfortunate, though...get that girl some nice boots! :)
    Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

@Greycat and Cybersox13:

I think you've both done a good job capturing the Shirow look. I was really into anime and manga for a number of years...I still enjoy it, but don't watch/read much of it these days. To call myself a Masamune Shirow fan might be overstating things a bit, but I like Ghost in the Shell and am at least vaguely familiar with some of his other work; I know his style well enough to recognize the inspiration of your characters. Nice work!

edited December 1969

As promised, here's a list of some of the most helpful morph sets priced at more than $12...again, I'm just listing the ones that are intended for general use, rather than building on a specific character. Not because the more specialized ones aren't worth getting...just thought it was a logical way to limit the list.

At DAZ 3D:

Genesis Evolution: Morph Bundle
    Genesis Evolution: Muscularity
    Ethnicity for Genesis Bundle
    Genesis Creature Creator Bundle
    Genesis Body Morph Resource Kit 1
    Genesis Body Morph Resource Kit 2
    Feminine Touch for Genesis
    Aging Morphs for Genesis

I've used all of the above except for Muscularity and Body Morph Kit 1 (they're still on my wishlist), and I've heard enough good things about both to feel very comfortable recommending them.

At Renderosity:
    HFS Shapes for Genesis

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited June 2013

Not an entry (too many rules to follow)

The Walker (inspired by "The Void" game)

click for better resolution.

Walker.jpg
    1037 x 1414 - 811K
    Post edited by Kattey on
  • princessartemisprincessartemis Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

So, this is feedback and such, and I'm brand new and scared, so...be kind! I'm going to move the light to a less awful spot, and hopefully figure out how to make the M5 specular look a little less "dipped in grease". I'll post all the dials should I unfreakmyselfout and decide to enter in actuality.

Also, any ideas where I might find nasolabial crease morphs? I know Zev0(?) aging morphs have laugh lines, but that's not quite what I'm looking for.

littlefire.jpg
    1051 x 1063 - 659K
    edited December 1969

Thanks.

As an experiment, I used the Poser Morph Tool to slim down her ankles.

"Transferring" morphs from another is pretty cool using the Morph Tool. I duplicated Kisiki and zero'd the shins. Then for the Morph Tool, I set the copy of Kisiki with the zero'd shins as the source, and tightened the mesh around the ankles of the first copy of Kisiki. Worked like a dream!

Since I put her feet in boots (and as it turned out, the grasses I added completely hid those boots anyway), this version of Kisiki isn't an entry. (I still wish Creature Creator included Gecko Toes, though, I suppose the Morph Tool could be used to make the ends of her toes bigger. I may have to try that another day.)

She has a very naturalistic, believable appearance for a fantasy character. Kind of reminds me of the characters in The Dark Crystal. I agree that the feet are unfortunate, though...get that girl some nice boots! :)
    Kisiki_Body_Slimmer_Ankles.png
    711 x 949 - 431K
  • SzundownSzundown Posts: 16
    edited December 1969

So, this is feedback and such, and I'm brand new and scared, so...be kind! I'm going to move the light to a less awful spot, and hopefully figure out how to make the M5 specular look a little less "dipped in grease". I'll post all the dials should I unfreakmyselfout and decide to enter in actuality.

Also, any ideas where I might find nasolabial crease morphs? I know Zev0(?) aging morphs have laugh lines, but that's not quite what I'm looking for.

Excellent likeness, I recognized him right away...You should definitely enter. I don't know of any nasolabial morphs, sorry.

edited December 1969

Aside from the laugh lines morphs in Zev0's Aging set, the closest thing I know of is the CheekToMouthSlope morph contained in the Genesis Body Morph Resource Kit 2. Attached are two quick renders: one with each of the four laugh lines morphs dialed to 50% (illustrative only...obviously this isn't the right combination to use on M5 with no other aging morphs applied), and the other with CheekToMouthSlope dialed to 1.00.

Another thing to consider, instead of or in addition to morphs, is the effect of a displacement map.

In terms of the render, I like the expression and I think you're off to a good start. The face is a little shiny, but not more than I'd expect if he'd been sweating or just has greasy skin. I'm afraid I don't recognize the character yet, but since Szundown does, it's quite possible that I'm just being dense (or it's someone I'm not very familiar with).

m5-2cheektomouthslope.jpg
    463 x 600 - 121K
    m5-1laughlines.jpg
    463 x 600 - 121K
  • princessartemisprincessartemis Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Szundown, I would be very surprised indeed if you really do recognize the character I based this model off of, though there is always a chance--it's an obscure NPC in an old Star Wars computer game. However, that said, it also happens to look enough like Christopher Lambert (of Highlander fame) that I think I'll actually try to get a closer likeness to that actor. If you do recognize him as an obscure decade old Star Wars NPC, awesome.

Scott, thanks for the tips; I'll see if I can figure out anything about displacement maps at some point. The CheekToMouthSlope looks like the closest thing to what I'm looking for, might have to pick that set up some time.

• SzundownSzundown Posts: 16
    edited December 1969

Szundown, I would be very surprised indeed if you really do recognize the character I based this model off of, though there is always a chance--it's an obscure NPC in an old Star Wars computer game. However, that said, it also happens to look enough like Christopher Lambert (of Highlander fame) that I think I'll actually try to get a closer likeness to that actor. If you do recognize him as an obscure decade old Star Wars NPC, awesome.

Scott, thanks for the tips; I'll see if I can figure out anything about displacement maps at some point. The CheekToMouthSlope looks like the closest thing to what I'm looking for, might have to pick that set up some time.

Christopher Lambert is who I thought it looked like.

CL.jpg
    181 x 278 - 6K