What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

DAZ Studio does still have the 3Delight render engine so it supports 3Delight.  Products not having 3Delight presets is not a feature (or lack of) of the program but of the product.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142

I doubt (at least I hope) Daz won't drop 3Delight support any time soon. Having a biased renderer and an unbiased one is just well rounded. But who knows really what Daz will do? LOL.

Laurie

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,602
    cosmo71 said:

Still 3Delight support

...yes

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Petercat said:
    MistyMist said:

continued support manual downloads and offline computers

to quote black adder, haz a terrible feeling

If I recall, back during the DRM "discussions", the a DAZ rep said that they were not going to mandate that our computers go online more than once, to "verify" us. Then, addressing a different customer concern, they said "We have no plans to do X at this time." Something like that, at any rate. (Two weeks or so later, DAZ did exactly what they had said they had no plans to do. I can't remember what it was, but I remember the outrage and the "Well, we said 'not at that time'".) We'll see.

It's the once that is the problem; some are against it.

Yeh, that didn't bode well for the future - when the had no plans had the life expectancy of a mayfly.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,317
    edited September 2016
    scorpio said:

A fitting room for clothes. Its still a pain to convert high heels and Littlefox's older figures have lots of cute content. I am getting my V4 content over to G3 and its going great. I do like to make use of those older items. It kinda would keep me sane if heels could be fitted better and quicker. Also a few items get broken in autofit due to handles, like long skirts and dresses. Improvewments to autofit or expanding it would be nice.

In my experience improvements are made to autofit, since its first outing things have improved alot, it doesn't matter what you do automated conversion will always have some problems the best thing I believe is to rerig the items from scratch and you have that ability in DS

Oh, well excuse me for commenting on this thread. Won't bother in the future. People shouldn't ask questions then shoot people down for answering. Its not very nice. I stupidly thought the point was to find out what I wanted, not to tell me I shouldn't want that at all. People on the boards are very helpful with technical stuff, perhaps I'll ask how to rip those skirt handles off so auto fit doesn't chew up things. My thoughts will just be my own in the future however.

I was merely pointing out that Autofit is pretty good as it is and other conversion programs that have been around a lot longer also have problems, and that Autofit is improving, and that you have the tools to correct things already; not shooting you down- sorry you took it so personally, 

Post edited by scorpio on
    edited September 2016

Hmmm.

A replacement for Connect, and especially Encrypted Connect (Maybe calling it DRM would be a start.)

Post edited by nicstt on
  • PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    Petercat said:
    Ivy said:

It be nice if they changed the color of the aniblocks so you can read them when using dark style

Already replied in the other thread you posted this to.

Richard, how high would a Kickstarter have to go before you would agree to write a PDF manual for Studio 4.9? $50,000? $100,000?

At least I got the name of the program right.

Heh, there is a gaping gulf between answering (some) questions in the forum and writing a manual, even resticting myself to the areas I know.

But you do it so well!

Yes, I would be ecstatic to have a PDF manual that was limited to areas you know. It would still cover so many areas that I don't know! Maybe you and Will could collaborate. Hey, you both buy at DAZ, I know you both need the money!

• nicstt said:

Hmmm.

A replacement for Connect, and especially Encrypted Connect (Maybe calling it DRM would be a start.)

Encryption implies controlled access to whatever is so protected, be it a piece of software, the voice traffic on a police radio, or whatever. DRM is simply the name applied when said encryption is applied to a item that is some person or company's intellectual property.

• Linux support. That is all.

• Did this thread really start 4 years ago?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Did this thread really start 4 years ago?

Even before that, on the old old forums.

• I would like a tab for recently installed content whether the content comes from Daz or other sources. To be able to do a search for items added 1-7 days, 30 days, 60 days etc...

Linux support. That is all.

...yesyesyes

• Did this thread really start 4 years ago?

Even before that, on the old old forums.

Oh the days of the broken paging....

• Written manual. Above all else. I sincerely hate the video instructions, as I'm not a native English speaker, and I often don't understand fully what these people are talking about.

..for me it is a retention issue caused by short term memory loss.  So much simpler to have a book or PDF open to the page dealing with the matter at hand than having to replay a video over....and over....and over.....and over.....

• Oh, so Iray can be done in Linux, and QT can be done in linux. So, I want a Daz studio upgrade to Linux. Unbuntu Linux has a installer built in and it works great. It could be reworked to be the new software and content installer for Daz software and content. For the stuff Daz is adamant to not upgrade just fix it so we can run it in Wine.

• Easier to install 3rd party content. Because this is the LAST daz that I will install that does not support 3rd party content. I am sick of wasting hundreds of dollars and getting nothing in return. I have followed every tutorial I can find and they work for some, but not for others. This was supposed to be a program for the beginner, a way to get into this type of designing easily and fairly inexpensively, unfortunately it has changed from that.

A "drop" button that drops an object not just onto the floor but onto the surface directly beneath it.

Laurie

• Some sort of easy-to-use drag-and-drop tool/interface for adding metadata to create Smart Content. Or any tool that lets me quickly add my older content to the database. 

Also, some sort of print catalog option that lets me see what the heck I've got in my library.

When you say "images used in the file" do you mean you've been moving texture files? You should only be moving files in folders that are visible and accessible in the Content Library tab — moving anything else is a waste of time and effort, since the non-content files can't be seen anyway. The only purpose of doing this is to break your content.

That isn't how Connect works; it doesn't "search your HD" to find moved/missing files, it downloads a completely new copy of the product and installs it in a parallel content structure — your item is installed twice.

Yup. I was working on image maps in the past, and tended to put them in temp folders on the Desktop. Eventually, I moved the images into Runtime —> Textures and then deleted the Desktop folder they were in...so DAZ was still looking for the now-gone folder.  (If I was working with Poser CR2's & such, I'd likely go into a text editor and fix the links manually, if I needed to, but I'm still not totally sure on how the .DUF's are worded, so I'm not touching them outside of the program. sad )

I generally don't touch 'data', AGAIN since I don't know for sure how everything works and why, but I figure the problems I had with auto-adapted files showing up on the GreyBox as 'missing' may be due to the fact that I seperated my content for a while down into multiple Runtimes (in an attempt to organize/simplify...it didn't seem to work any better, so I was undoing it).

I likely DID break parts of it...but not intentionally. frown *facepalm*

Re: Connect — Oh, okay. I really didn't know anything about Connect, as I haven't used it. Thanks for clarifying, SpottedKitty. laugh

I just want DAZ Studio to give me an option in the 'grey box' so I can go search for the files it can't find...(however the links were broken). That 'find' function is available in
    a WHOLE bunch of programs: Adobe InDesign™...(it WAS available in Macromedia FreeHand™) I THINK it's available in Illustrator™, It's in Microsoft Word™...AND...most importantly, DAZ's competitor, Poser™. I think (hope) it would be a simple tweak to the DAZ Studio GUI to turn the 'Missing' grey box into a regular 'Find Links' box.

ORRRRR... wink

In LIEU of fixing the 'Grey box', maybe we could get an items palette, where we can go to to re-link textures or geometry? Sound good? :D

Be well and keep creating, guys. cheeky

Greg

There are tools by dimension3d for repair files connections. In the case of poser like files there is a batch tool in R store, in the case of duf you only can fix one file at time and the tool is in daz store

• Easier to install 3rd party content. Because this is the LAST daz that I will install that does not support 3rd party content. I am sick of wasting hundreds of dollars and getting nothing in return. I have followed every tutorial I can find and they work for some, but not for others. This was supposed to be a program for the beginner, a way to get into this type of designing easily and fairly inexpensively, unfortunately it has changed from that.

I have yet to find third party content that I've not been able to install and use. Sometimes its not laid out the same way as DAZ installed content is, but I can usually figure out the differences and get it to work.

And Daz cannot impose a packaging standard on content not sold through them.

Easier to install 3rd party content. Because this is the LAST daz that I will install that does not support 3rd party content. I am sick of wasting hundreds of dollars and getting nothing in return. I have followed every tutorial I can find and they work for some, but not for others. This was supposed to be a program for the beginner, a way to get into this type of designing easily and fairly inexpensively, unfortunately it has changed from that.

I have yet to find third party content that I've not been able to install and use. Sometimes its not laid out the same way as DAZ installed content is, but I can usually figure out the differences and get it to work.

This. I'm relatively new to DS and yet I have no trouble installing 3rd party content. Doesn't mean I can find it easily in the library once it's installed...but I can install and use it no problem. LOL.

I don't much care for the content system, but Poser's isn't that much better. Where Poser's libary shone was in that all references but geometries and textures were relative paths rather than absolute. That being said, you can edit a .duf file that's not compressed just as easily as you can a Poser file to change where the file is looking for the assets.

Laurie

All .duf files use relative addressing when things done right.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,892

I'd love a little more control of how collision works. Right now, depending on distance, a colliding surface sometimes 'stretches' and wicks over the collision target. This is more often not a behavior I want -- I want the colliding surface to 'pull back' from the colliding target.

I'd like some control over that.

• AllenArt said:
    Where Poser's libary shone was in that all references but geometries and textures were relative paths rather than absolute.

Erm... no, the Poser format works entirely by relative paths — every pointer to a geometry or texture file or anything else (usually a morph data file) is defined as its exact position inside a Runtime folder. It doesn't matter where this Runtime folder might be, since Poser knows where all your Runtimes are, and checks all of them for a folder path leading to the file it's looking for. D|S inherited this same system, and can use it to read both Poser-format and D|S-format content containing only relative paths.

The big problem is that it's always been possible to create content files incorrectly, so that their file references were all absolute paths. In the early days of non-DAZ content creation, many people stuffed all their working files for a project into folders that could be pretty much anywhere on their computer. If these folders weren't defined as Runtime or Content locations, then Poser or D|S wouldn't know how to find the file, so the path had to be an absolute folder location that existed only on that computer. Most content creators know better now, thankfully, but there's still a lot of otherwise very nice content out there that needs at least a bit of manual tweaking before it can be installed properly.

• dvitoladvitola Posts: 136

A direct connection to Bryce that works for Macs.

• A manual.

edited September 2016
    nicstt said:

Hmmm.

Encryption implies controlled access to whatever is so protected, be it a piece of software, the voice traffic on a police radio, or whatever. DRM is simply the name applied when said encryption is applied to a item that is some person or company's intellectual property.

Encryption means exactly that; it's encrypted. The reasons are irrelevant. DRM implies that access to this is protected and controlled (encryption is the means of the protection), and that authentication to use the item/product is verified before use.

And yeh, count me in for Linux support.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • I'd like a way to move things to zero. So many sets load with the floor up high, my character in the middle of a bulkhead and lights spread out through the mess. 

I'd like a way to designate something as zero and have my character in the center.

Designated the ground would also be great. Sometimes grounds load unevenly or up high, and I spend a lot of time adjusting feet, to go to that ground area.