Luxus for Carrara released! Intro sale price at 30% off.

Comments

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

Thnks rk66,

weirdly that thread wasn't showing up when I searched the forums using the plugin's name.

rk66 said:
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    I just tried a quick test of a prism to see some dispersion, but even with this checked there was no spectrum showing. I suspect I need a more complex Fresnel definition - any ideas?

This is one case where glass seems to be easier than glass2. Look in the Cauchy B section here:
    -> http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxRender_Materials_Glass

Also, make sure you set both reflection and transmission color to white. Once of them is incorrectly defaulting to black.

Cool - that did the trick!

• edited December 1969

Thanks for this great Plug-in! I do have one question though, does anyone know how to make an orthographic (isometric) render? The Isometric cameras in Carrara have no effect and I wish to try out some nice renders for my game.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

strobl said:
    Thanks for this great Plug-in! I do have one question though, does anyone know how to make an orthographic (isometric) render? The Isometric cameras in Carrara have no effect and I wish to try out some nice renders for my game.

I don't know about an iso camera, but try the zoom camera and set it as high (telephoto) as you can....
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

I thought I'd share my prism image to show the dispersed refraction effect, creating a spectrum. There is only one beam of light going in, from the left. The other rays are refracted and reflected from the external and internal surfaces. The Cauchy B parameter in the Glass material controls the spread of the dispersed light.

I will post this on my Rendo gallery tomorrow as a tribute to Storm Thorgerson, designer of the cover to Dark Side of the Moon and many other album covers, who died last month.

PrismFinal.jpg
    640 x 480 - 65K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    I thought I'd share my prism image to show the dispersed refraction effect, creating a spectrum. There is only one beam of light going in, from the left. The other rays are refracted and reflected from the external and internal surfaces. The Cauchy B parameter in the Glass material controls the spread of the dispersed light.

I will post this on my Rendo gallery tomorrow as a tribute to Storm Thorgerson, designer of the cover to Dark Side of the Moon and many other album covers, who died last month.

Not to derail the thread but did you know that if you place a spotlight in a scene, duplicate twice so that you have three of them oriented the same way. Next, change one spot to red, one to blue and one to green. set each intensity to 33%. The resulting light will look white. If you place a clear object in the scene with refraction and enable caustics in the render room, it will split the light back apart.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:

Not to derail the thread but did you know that if you place a spotlight in a scene, duplicate twice so that you have three of them oriented the same way. Next, change one spot to red, one to blue and one to green. set each intensity to 33%. The resulting light will look white. If you place a clear object in the scene with refraction and enable caustics in the render room, it will split the light back apart.
    TUTORIAL! TUTORIAL!!
    :cheese:

edited December 1969

PhilW said:

TUTORIAL! TUTORIAL!!

I'll see if I can work something up for the CarraraCafe in the next couple of days. I think it was Elele that put me onto it in the old forum. Apologies if I'm mistaken on the identity of who came up with it!

• edited December 1969

-Spheric

Thanks for posting the shader tree of Lux Metal2 and showing me how I can use a texture map in it. I was mistakenly under the impression that we could only put Lux Materials in the shader tree for a Lux Surface - now I understand how they work - I am free to use any of the Carrara methods inside the shader tree - now it makes sense.

• EleleElele Posts: 1,097
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:

TUTORIAL! TUTORIAL!!

I'll see if I can work something up for the CarraraCafe in the next couple of days. I think it was Elele that put me onto it in the old forum. Apologies if I'm mistaken on the identity of who came up with it!

I know it wasn't me, caus:
    TUTORIAL! TUTORIAL! TUTORIAL! :D

• EleleElele Posts: 1,097
    edited December 1969

BTW, i got the plugin too, but haven't had time to play with it yet.
    Hopefully soon, in the mean time thanks to spheric for the opportunities :D

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi tuckersaur :)

Some Carrara shader functions won't work,. but texture maps will.

things like fractal noise , mixers,. or terrain shaders won't work as expected,. but there are some Lux shader functions, like the Lux Mix, or marble which can be used to create a similar effect,. or you could export the Carrara shader,. to create a texture map, then use that in the Lux shader.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225
    edited December 1969

Yaaaay! Someone paid me for the stonework I did for them - so this is now MINE!!!
    (along with some cool, Free, Cargo Crates! :) )

• The Pencil NeckThe Pencil Neck Posts: 163
    edited December 1969

Here's a picture I'm working on using Luxus.

It's time consuming going in and cleaning up all the textures but I hadn't realized how fscked up so many textures are when they're pulled in from Daz/Poser.

The window is a Luxus Glass material with the original Gothic Study texture applied and then a Luxus Infinite light source poured through it.

I'm having frustration with the Oil Lamp. The base (which is a Metal2 with the original Texture applied) is fine. But I can't get the light to light up the way I want to. In this example, I've set it to Luxus Glass. I've set the Interior to an Area Light and the Exterior to clear. I had also tried setting it to Luxus Glass2 and putting a bulb inside but that got weird. I'm thinking about just creating a filament, applying an area light to that, and then placing that inside the glass globe.

BTW, I'm going to try to export some terrain shaders to texture maps. I haven't looked at it, yet. How do you guys do that?

test003.jpg
    1920 x 1440 - 691K
    edited May 2013

I'm thinking about just creating a filament, applying an area light to that, and then placing that inside the glass globe.Yeah. That should be just the ticket!

BTW, I'm going to try to export some terrain shaders to texture maps. I haven't looked at it, yet. How do you guys do that?

After you have a terrain with the shader that you want applied, export the terrain as an obj.
    Carrara will ask if you want to convert shaders to textures.

This darned forum...

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited May 2013

Here's a picture I'm working on using Luxus.

It's time consuming going in and cleaning up all the textures but I hadn't realized how fscked up so many textures are when they're pulled in from Daz/Poser.

The window is a Luxus Glass material with the original Gothic Study texture applied and then a Luxus Infinite light source poured through it.

I'm having frustration with the Oil Lamp. The base (which is a Metal2 with the original Texture applied) is fine. But I can't get the light to light up the way I want to. In this example, I've set it to Luxus Glass. I've set the Interior to an Area Light and the Exterior to clear. I had also tried setting it to Luxus Glass2 and putting a bulb inside but that got weird. I'm thinking about just creating a filament, applying an area light to that, and then placing that inside the glass globe.

In regards to the oil lamp you probably want to do something like this image, The outer is Glass2 with an Interior Clear Volume, leave Exterior none. Put an inner mesh that emits light, probably want it smaller than I have shown.

EDIT: oops you already figured this out.

fimg1.jpg
    600 x 344 - 20K
    Post edited by SphericLabs on
    edited December 1969

oh yeah, and very awesome image.

edited December 1969

oh yeah, and very awesome image.
    Yeah... I agree!
  • Orion_UkOrion_Uk Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I agree, an AWESOME image indeed.

Well, I am not having much luck with lights myself. Its mainly due to being away from Carrara for a while and I am stuck thinking in an Octane Render way I guess!

I can create a glowing sphere using area light but have no idea how to make it brighter or darker as adjusting the settings under area light have no effect for me what so ever! I change power to 1 and the sphere (for example) is the same brightness as when the power is set to something like 100! Efficacy changes result in the same thing! infact, when it comes to lights, the only things I can change is color/maps.. oh, and BB temp in the Lux GUI,LOL.

So basically, how do I adjust the brightness of the sphere/turn the light up (if you like) please people?

Also,

I have tried to set up a blackbody light (plane mesh) and hit the same problem, no matter what changes I make, I can not get the plane brighter or darker or change how far out the light sreads. I know I am missing a BIG point here and am gonna feel like such a fool when some kind person points me in the right direction, this a guarentee. I have had no issue with setting up blackbody lighting in Octane Render standalone or either of the plugins for Daz studio and Blender and Poser. Man am I gonna feel stupid when I find out how its done..

Could someone please show me a screen cap of a setup for Blackbody lights and give me a few hints on how to adjust the brightness for area lights and BB lights please?

edited December 1969

Orion_Uk said:

Well, I am not having much luck with lights myself. Its mainly due to being away from Carrara for a while and I am stuck thinking in an Octane Render way I guess!

I can create a glowing sphere using area light but have no idea how to make it brighter or darker as adjusting the settings under area light have no effect for me what so ever! I change power to 1 and the sphere (for example) is the same brightness as when the power is set to something like 100! Efficacy changes result in the same thing! infact, when it comes to lights, the only things I can change is color/maps.. oh, and BB temp in the Lux GUI,LOL.

So basically, how do I adjust the brightness of the sphere/turn the light up (if you like) please people?

Also,

I have tried to set up a blackbody light (plane mesh) and hit the same problem, no matter what changes I make, I can not get the plane brighter or darker or change how far out the light sreads. I know I am missing a BIG point here and am gonna feel like such a fool when some kind person points me in the right direction, this a guarentee. I have had no issue with setting up blackbody lighting in Octane Render standalone or either of the plugins for Daz studio and Blender and Poser. Man am I gonna feel stupid when I find out how its done..

Could someone please show me a screen cap of a setup for Blackbody lights and give me a few hints on how to adjust the brightness for area lights and BB lights please?

Change your topemapper to linear. The default, auto-linear, is adjusting the exposure of the film to maintain a certain brightness.

edited December 1969

PhilW said:

TUTORIAL! TUTORIAL!!

Since it's raining and I can't mow my swam- I mean yard, I have a small tutorial about splitting light using Carrara's caustics.I even have scene files! It's posted over at the CarraraCafe. ;-)

http://carraracafe.com/forum-3?cid=1&show=297

edited December 1969

Orion_Uk said:

When you go to Render, you need to get out of the Auto-Linear setting in the Tone Mapping area. I normally use Linear or the Reinhard/Non-linear. The Linear is cool because it's like the setup of a camera. (Also cool is to play around with the different film settings.)

THEN, select the Light Group tab. From there you can set each individual light's magnitude. Now, the place where you've been fiddling in the Textures with the Area Light, that sets the 'base' for the light but the real brightness of it is in this Light Group tab.

When you save, you can save by going File->Export To Image->Lightgroups to Tonemapped... and it will save each individual light group as a separate file. Then you can load them into GIMP or Photoshop as layers and composite them separately.

Also,

The whole thing is going into the Light Groups and varying the light setting in there, just like what I said above.

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 516
    edited December 1969

Speaking of light groups. Is there an option to create light groups? I have not been able to find it yet if it is there.

edited December 1969

Speaking of light groups. Is there an option to create light groups? I have not been able to find it yet if it is there.

It appears to be creating the groups automatically by the name of the light. I had hoped that by creating a group of lights it would create a light group but that hasn't worked.

And I haven't been able to break individual lights out of a group once they're in it.

I'm not really loving that.

edited December 1969

It appears to be creating the groups automatically by the name of the light. I had hoped that by creating a group of lights it would create a light group but that hasn't worked.

Up to now, I have always gone through Blender to Lux. In Blender, there is an option to add light groups (you select the light emitters, then simply add them into a Luxrender light group).

Probably need to make a request for light group option being added? (or there is a need to boolean the different emitter mesh together to create the group, which is not something I really want to have to do)

edited December 1969

Light groups are automatically added and are named the name of the light.

Some have been putting the AreaLight in the Material input of LuxSurface which does work by accident, but you wont get a light group for it. Area Light belongs in the AreaLight input of LuxSurface.

edited December 1969

But that is creating a group for a single area (mesh) light. There are many times where multiple lights are used and need to be placed within a single group for easy changes within the LUX GUI

• Orion_UkOrion_Uk Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Change your topemapper to linear. The default, auto-linear, is adjusting the exposure of the film to maintain a certain brightness.

Worked a charm, Thanks v-much indeed Spheric.

When you go to Render, you need to get out of the Auto-Linear setting in the Tone Mapping area. I normally use Linear or the Reinhard/Non-linear. The Linear is cool because it’s like the setup of a camera. (Also cool is to play around with the different film settings.)

THEN, select the Light Group tab. From there you can set each individual light’s magnitude. Now, the place where you’ve been fiddling in the Textures with the Area Light, that sets the ‘base’ for the light but the real brightness of it is in this Light Group tab.

When you save, you can save by going File->Export To Image->Lightgroups to Tonemapped… and it will save each individual light group as a separate file. Then you can load them into GIMP or Photoshop as layers and composite them separately.

@thepencilneck, Thank you for taking the time to help me and for those handy tips.. Between you and Spheric I am finally progressing, who knows, maybe I will be brave enough to post some results at some point..LOL.

Anyway, much gratitude to you both.

edited December 1969

But that is creating a group for a single area (mesh) light. There are many times where multiple lights are used and need to be placed within a single group for easy changes within the LUX GUI

Currently you could name the lights the same name, but I could also add the ability to override the default name with a specified name.

edited December 1969

Currently you could name the lights the same name, but I could also add the ability to override the default name with a specified name.

Is there any way you could detect that lights are part of a group and then treat them as a light group if they are?