Luxus for Carrara released! Intro sale price at 30% off.

Comments

• Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    edited May 2013

The scene file is the LXS file, right? I can't find where the lxs file is being saved--I thought it was with the FLM files, but I only see an old luxout.lxs file. I'll run a search for LXS files to see if they are getting tucked away somewhere....

Edit: Doh! I see the LXS file is being updated after each render. I guess I can save that off with a new name and be ok?

Post edited by Salem2007 on
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Salem2007 said:
    The scene file is the LXS file, right? I can't find where the lxs file is being saved--I thought it was with the FLM files, but I only see an old luxout.lxs file. I'll run a search for LXS files to see if they are getting tucked away somewhere....

Edit: Doh! I see the LXS file is being updated after each render. I guess I can save that off with a new name and be ok?

Hmm. I remember discovering that the .lxs kept rewriting... It seems weird to me but I guess that is how LuxRender works...?
  • booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    No joy in Mudville. :(

This is the first item I've tried to purchase here at DAZ in ages and it's not going well. The purchase will not go through. The cart says I have 1 item in my cart but when I try to purchase it tells me my cart is empty.

Frustrating. Contacting support now.

So sad.

That's a known problem that has been around for a while. To get around it you need to add another item -- anything -- to the cart. After that the hidden item should show up along with the new one which can then be deleted.

Worked a treat! Thanks. Downloading now. :)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225
    edited December 1969

Just grasping at straws here, but do you have the Lux Render installed in your 8.5 the way it needs to be? Not sure what else it could be.

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

Just wondering -Why does the Daz Product page for lux renderer say at the bottom -

"Lux render is available for FREE from Luxrender.net "

obviously an oversight as I just checked and it's not

http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/index

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

It requires LuxRender Standalone which is free from LuxRender.net

http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/standalone

The Luxus plugin lets you export your scenes to it.

0oseven said:
    Just wondering -Why does the Daz Product page for lux renderer say at the bottom -

"Lux render is available for FREE from Luxrender.net "

obviously an oversight as I just checked and it's not

http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/index

• EleleElele Posts: 1,097
    edited December 1969

How does this compare to luxus for DS?
    Does it render faster? I assume that it doesn't since they use they same thinghy, then again i don't know anything bout programming. Maybe with carrara being so much faster than ds, this has some effect on the render speed...
    Can you use the same shaders in Luxus studio and carrara?

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited May 2013

Unfortunately only LuxRender can decide how fast it renders. ...well to an extent. Good optimisation can speed up render times.

Not sure why lux keeps updating the .lxs as Lux does its thing. I only noticed because I had one open in a text editor got told it had been updated, and asked if I would like to reload it.

Post edited by Jim_1831252 on
  • stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Can this render Carrara hair? If not can hair be renderered using Carraras Multipass rendering and composited later. Are the proportions of the rendered frames the same in Lux and Carrara?
    I usually now render with Multipass and it does seem to "cut out " the hair to a seperate layer.( if I can ever remember what layers to render!)

edited December 1969

Elele said:
    Does it render faster? I assume that it doesn't since they use they same thinghy, then again i don't know anything bout programming. Maybe with carrara being so much faster than ds, this has some effect on the render speed...

Aside from costing $10 more... from their product pages:

Luxus plugin for DAZ Studio
    12 Shader Presets
    4 Light Presets

Luxus Plugin for Carrara:
    19 LuxRender Textures as Shader Nodes
    17 LuxRender Materials as Shader Nodes
    01 Top Level Lux Surface Shader Node
    Support for Carrara's Spot, Bulb, and Distant lights
    05 LuxRender Specifc Lights:
    Infinite(HDRI/IBL)
    Projection
    Sun
    Sky 2
    Sun Sky 2

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,800
    edited May 2013

How good is Luxus exporting complex scenes like "CountryLane" by HowieFarkes ? Can Luxus handle all these arrayed plants?

Post edited by Masterstroke on
  • EleleElele Posts: 1,097
    edited December 1969

Elele said:

Aside from costing $10 more... from their product pages:

Luxus plugin for DAZ Studio
    12 Shader Presets
    4 Light Presets

Luxus Plugin for Carrara:
    19 LuxRender Textures as Shader Nodes
    17 LuxRender Materials as Shader Nodes
    01 Top Level Lux Surface Shader Node
    Support for Carrara's Spot, Bulb, and Distant lights
    05 LuxRender Specifc Lights:
    Infinite(HDRI/IBL)
    Projection
    Sun
    Sky 2
    Sun Sky 2

I don't really know what that means :red:

Say I built a gold shader in luxus carrara, can i then use that same shader (without any tweaking) in luxus studio?
    Or does it not work that way?
    Thanks Holly :)

Thanks jimzombie. I seem to remember you being a (luxus) studio user, how do you like the carrara version?

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

Can this render Carrara hair? If not can hair be renderered using Carraras Multipass rendering and composited later. Are the proportions of the rendered frames the same in Lux and Carrara?
    I usually now render with Multipass and it does seem to "cut out " the hair to a seperate layer.( if I can ever remember what layers to render!)

I would also like to know if it renders Carrara Hair (I'm guessing not from what I know, but you never know!) and I would also like to know if it deals with replicated objects. This last one would be a real plus, as neither DS or Poser have them. Again I am expecting a "no" but I know that LuxRender supports replicated objects so this would be a real possibility.

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:

I would also like to know if it renders Carrara Hair (I'm guessing not from what I know, but you never know!) and I would also like to know if it deals with replicated objects. This last one would be a real plus, as neither DS or Poser have them. Again I am expecting a "no" but I know that LuxRender supports replicated objects so this would be a real possibility.

It does not. Carrara Hair is a special shader in Carrara. LuxRender does not hair a hair primitive. When LuxRender supports a hair primitive, rumored to be soon, then I will look into trying to get hair to go accross.

edited May 2013

Elele said:

It is the same render engine so Rendering speeds are going to be the same.

Arguably Luxus for Carrara is as powerful as Luxus and Elixur(LuxRender shader mixer plugin) for DAZ Studio.

Getting the shaders sharable between apps would have been nice, but its not really possible at this point. This is probably something that could be added, but would require DAZ adding functionality and do it via duf/dsf.

The alternative and probably the route I will take Luxus is to support a Lmb2(LuxRender material database file) importer/exporter in both.

That being said, no one should misunderstand, the Carrara shader system here is pretty handy. You can save your LuxRender shader network to a shader file and reuse it all over the place.

Post edited by SphericLabs on
    edited December 1969

Elele said:

Thanks jimzombie. I seem to remember you being a (luxus) studio user, how do you like the carrara version?

Glad to help. Most of LuxRender’s capabilities are coded on the Lux side. All Luxus does is configure the Carrara scene and export it for use in the render engine. I have not bought it. I'm between a rock and a hard place right now, so I'm not buying any new toys for the foreseeable future. I would very much like to try it out though.

edited December 1969

PhilW said:

I think it deals with instanced geometry in most cases. I think it is only in some of the more broken/experimental GPU based options it is not yet working. DS does have some primitive instancing tools these days too.

edited May 2013

PhilW said:

It does not. Carrara Hair is a special shader in Carrara. LuxRender does not hair a hair primitive. When LuxRender supports a hair primitive, rumored to be soon, then I will look into trying to get hair to go accross.

Is that a "no" to replicated objects as well? If it does deal with replicated objects, does it use instanced objects in Lux, or does it output one object per instance in Carrara, which would lead to huge files and memory issues on rendering.

Does it support Carrara plants / trees?

Post edited by PhilW on
    edited December 1969

Render speed is dependent on LuxRender and not Carrara. Carrara is not involved in the render. Once the scene has started in LuxRender you can go use Carrara for other stuff. Luxus is just exporting the scene to the standalone version of Lux Render.

It can take a long time for a scene to load in LuxRender.

You can network render with LuxRender. See the link for details on doing this.

http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/Network_rendering

DS Luxus Shaders are not the same as Carrara Luxus Shaders.

Shaders have to be adjusted in the Carrara shader room for them to work in LuxRender.

I loaded up in Carrara World Gardens Japan Summer No GI and did a render via Luxus. I didn't adjust any of the shaders as I was just seeing if it would load. It took LuxRender. Took 15 minutes to load it in to LuxRender and I got an output stream error message and it never finished loading.

Tried it again and the same thing happened.

I'm using Windows 7 32-bit.

I suspect it is a Windows 32 issue as LuxRender is very resource intensive.

edited December 1969

Just a quick question where can I get information about the Elixur shader mixer plugin you mentioned for DAZ Sudio? Tried searching for it on Google and had no luck

Elixur(LuxRender shader mixer plugin) for DAZ Studio.

Elele said:

It is the same render engine so Rendering speeds are going to be the same.

Arguably Luxus for Carrara is as powerful as Luxus and Elixur(LuxRender shader mixer plugin) for DAZ Studio.

Getting the shaders sharable between apps would have been nice, but its not really possible at this point. This is probably something that could be added, but would require DAZ adding functionality and do it via duf/dsf.

The alternative and probably the route I will take Luxus is to support a Lmb2(LuxRender material database file) importer/exporter in both.

That being said, no one should misunderstand, the Carrara shader system here is pretty handy. You can save your LuxRender shader network to a shader file and reuse it all over the place.

• rk66rk66 Posts: 433
    edited December 1969
    edited May 2013

PhilW said:
    PhilW said:

Is that a "no" to replicated objects as well? If it does deal with replicated objects, does it use instanced objects in Lux, or does it output one object per instance in Carrara, which would lead to huge files and memory issues on rendering.

Does it support Carrara plants / trees?

I am pretty sure no on the Carrara plants and trees.

Yes to replicated objects. This is a cone that was deformed and then replicated. that was then replicated again. The replicated object are sent to LuxRender as instances, so it is very efficient.

luxus.jpg
    847 x 600 - 133K
    Post edited by SphericLabs on
    edited December 1969

Many thanks - the replication support may get me to buy this!

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited May 2013

Hi Spheric,. and PhilW :)

Carrara tree's plants work. but the shaders need to be set up for luxus,

Bad quick example:

edited to add : The tree's need to be set to show full detail,. otherwise the leaves will not show up.
    this can slow carrara down,.

So,. using something like one of Howies scenes, isn't as simple as Load and Render.

reptree_test1.jpg
    1193 x 890 - 281K
    reptree_test.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 348K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on
    edited December 1969

That's cool - with replicators and trees, we can render whole forests in Lux-style realism!

edited December 1969

If you still can't get LuxRender to launch (instead you get all the yellow 1's) try clicking the CHOOSE PATH option. Carrara asks me where to save the LUX file. LuxRender is not autolaunching for me, but double clicking the LUX file does work.

Screen_Shot_2013-05-27_at_2.27_.21_PM_.png
    227 x 111 - 16K
    edited December 1969

How do I get an HDR as background and lightsource?

edited December 1969

3dage - how did you set up the shaders for luxus on the trees? (please!)

• wcwilcoxwcwilcox Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi Hollie

On the mac, place the Luxus Folder in the extension folder, place the LuxRender folder in the application folder.

In Carrara go to the Render room and select LuxRender via Luxus

In Carrara select Edit and select Setup LexRender Path and find LuxRender in the application folder and select.

That worked for me.

Lux_settup_2.png
    292 x 466 - 34K
    Lux_settup_1.png
    340 x 598 - 75K
    edited December 1969

Hi Holly,

Add a Luxus Infinite lighttype and select an HDRI as the map in the parameters panel.