Anybody else use the store as a quick librarian archive?

Sometimes, when I'm looking for the best product in my library, I'll search the store and see what I already own.

I find myself doing a lot of store searches.

Crazy how often you come across something you don't recognize and think "Oh my, I have to remember to use that!"

Other times- there's stuff in the cart and I'll search and discover I already have a product that fills that role.

But yeah, I do use the Store's search field several times a day. lol

Comments

• AtiAti Posts: 9,095
    edited January 2018

Yeah, I do that, too, all the time. It's very easy to filter by category, so if I'm looking for a building that I already own, for example, I can easily find what I'm looking for. Same for any other category, really.

Post edited by Ati on
  • I frequently use it as if i cant find somthing in DAZ as the inbuilt search function seems all but usless. Maybe i'm doing somthing wrong.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,944

it is always handy because if you don't have it your cart awaits 

th3Digit said:

I only list the ones I have to avoid this distraction. :D

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    edited January 2018
    Ati said:
    th3Digit said:

How's that working out for you? :D

Post edited by nicstt on
  • Pack58Pack58 Posts: 750

All the time, using Ati's "purchased" script (what ever it's proper name is)

If only DAZ would leave the shop pages of pulled products up for those that have bought them (bit of an ask).

edited January 2018
    nicstt said:
    Ati said:
    th3Digit said:

When searching for stuff that I know I already have, it's working perfectly. Buying stuff is a totally separate activity. :D

Post edited by Ati on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,148

Sometimes, when I'm looking for the best product in my library, I'll search the store and see what I already own.

Crazy how often you come across something you don't recognize and think "Oh my, I have to remember to use that!"

Other times- there's stuff in the cart and I'll search and discover I already have a product that fills that role.

I'm building a file right now with name, image, order date, sku number, etc. of everything I own from the Daz store. Gonna take awhile. LOL I exported from IM as a csv and opened it in Libre Office Calc.

Laurie

database.JPG
    1839 x 617 - 112K
  • OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

Product library here at the website and a desktop shortcut to the Windows Explorer folder for my content is how I find stuff I haven't categorized or can't quite remember the name of.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,569
    edited January 2018

Yes... I find the  search of studio to be fairly useless and quite slow. It’s  faster to search the store although you run into the same issue as Studio with props not being properly labeled.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • It would be nice if they had a search function to complement the "Hide Items I own" to "Only Show Items I Own."

Going one step further it would be superlative if they  then had an easily downloadable page with the product info and promos or a way for us to archive our owned products in a searchable pamphlet or book we could print out.

• I use the products library in the profile sometimes -  wish it would be more extensive in terms of search options. 

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

It would be nice if they had a search function to complement the "Hide Items I own" to "Only Show Items I Own."

Going one step further it would be superlative if they  then had an easily downloadable page with the product info and promos or a way for us to archive our owned products in a searchable pamphlet or book we could print out.

This would be wonderful.

• JessaiiJessaii Posts: 845

It would be nice if they had a search function to complement the "Hide Items I own" to "Only Show Items I Own."

If you use the Daz Deals browser addon it does this. I could not live without it now lol. Makes shopping for only items i own or only wishlisted items really handy. I really recommended it, I actually had forgotten about it until a few months ago after re-building my pc lol. 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/106296/announcing-daz-deals-browser-add-on/p1

• Tanis VoltaTanis Volta Posts: 550
    edited January 2018

I use a software called Inspiration Library, it works great. You can create categories for your projects, and fill them of promo images or webpages of Daz with a custom title of the product and a description text.http://www.beenokle.com/inspiration-library.html

I like to categorize all my purchased things from my product library, but also is useful to store wishlist for future purchases reminding me for what I want that. 

You could create a whole category for your render ideas and fill them with possible products you have or you need. Nothing can't beat that usefullness.

. .

Post edited by Tanis Volta on
  • I just go to my Wishlist and scroll through it, but it's only 3 pages long. And Product Library, though it does need better search options. 

• Pack58Pack58 Posts: 750
    edited January 2018

Also l rewiishlist products after purchasing them. So can use one or other of the wishlistify scripts and uncheck  hide owned to generate lists of what I have and what I've thought looks useful within categories.

Not always useful, exept when it is.

Post edited by Pack58 on
  • Yes... I find the  search of studio to be fairly useless and quite slow. It’s  faster to search the store although you run into the same issue as Studio with props not being properly labeled.

Which search - Content Library or Smart Content?

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,956
    Ati said:
    nicstt said:
    Ati said:
    th3Digit said:

When searching for stuff that I know I already have, it's working perfectly. Buying stuff is a totally separate activity. :D

What I would find could is if the DAZ Shopping plugin created offline webpages as they look on the DAZ Website local to our computer of our 'Product Library' in the DAZ Store on our My Account page for searching.

Alternatively it would be nice if the search funtion in DAZ 3D allowed the searcher to restrict the search to just the Products section tab of the content of the DS UI and also added a new section that was organized by DAZ Store Order #, similar to the DAZ Store My Account section 'Product Library'.

• Smart Content can only operate on items which have those tags that make it appear in Smart Content.

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

Well the Internal Daz product sorter (Smart Content) categories that are missing is .....

1) a true Favorites (that works with a simple right-click (add to Favorites))

2) Sort by Used Recently

3) Loaded in scene or (currently using)

Yes... I find the  search of studio to be fairly useless and quite slow. It’s  faster to search the store although you run into the same issue as Studio with props not being properly labeled.

Content library. I don't use smart content.

You know when you buy a set which contains all those little scene extras. You know for example you have a broom, but it may not be called that broom? Sometimes it is faster to check the website for broom, than to search library for the prop.

Ati said:
    nicstt said:
    Ati said:
    th3Digit said:

What I would find could is if the DAZ Shopping plugin created offline webpages as they look on the DAZ Website local to our computer of our 'Product Library' in the DAZ Store on our My Account page for searching.

Could you post an example of this in the addon's thread? https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/106296/announcing-daz-deals-browser-add-on

That's the best place to keep suggestions, because in other threads they will just get lost. Thanks. This is something that could be done, but some clarification would be nice as to what exactly you would find useful.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,789
    edited January 2018

I wish there was one perfect option.  As it is, I use a combination of the Store with the DAZ Deals Browser, Taosoft's DAZ Account Manager, the DAZ store's product library, DIM, and Google, as each one has one has advantages and disadvantages. 

The DAZ Deals Browser is generally the most useful when trying to find a specific type of product that I already own, as it's the only one that allows a more targeted search by category... just set the store to show a specific sub category, set of figures, artists, etc, then check the "Only Show Owned" option.  It even works with doing word search using the store's search funtion, though that brings you back to the limits of the store's own poor search function.  And the Browser adds a lot of additional functionality to the your store Product library page.  It's weak links, however, are that it is restricted by the limits of the store's own search parameters, and searches won't display products that are no longer in the store, products that used to be sold separately but is no available only as part of a bundle, or that have been improperly classified.  Also, if you have a large collection, it can be a pain to have to scroll through multiple pages of results... for example, with the store narrowed down to display only Genesis 3 Female products, I have to go through 14 pages of 60 items each... but that's still an order of magnitude better than having to dig through the 59 pages containing all 3510 G3F Products currently available in the store.  And needless to say, the browsers major weakness is that if the Store is down or your internet is out, this option goes out the window.  

Fortunately, Taosoft's Account Manager covers many of the DS Browser's weaknesses and has it's own strengths.  In format it's essentially souped up version of the DAZ Store's own product library, but with a lot of the features you wish the store had.  And since it pulls from that data, it shares the Product LIbrary's weakness of only being able to search for a keyword in the product name rather than by category.  So, if you search for "Hair" it will show you anything that has Hair in product name... including Chair... but won't display a product that doesn't actually have hair in the name.  Needless to say, there are quite a few of these and even dong multiple searchs using alternate words like Brows, Braids, Pony Tail and Beard won't catch all of them, as there are a good number of products in the store that include a hair item as part of the set but don't mention it at all in the name.  On the positive side, it does list EVERYTHING that's in your store product library, and you can sort by the date you bought it, the day it was entered in the store, the sku number and whether or not it's available via DIM.  Better yet, it displays the product's DAZ store page when you highlight each item, and you can save your history and the accompanying product data (including images, if they're still in the store) to a separate file and access them when you're offline, and you can also output the current database as a .csv file that opens in Excel.  The one thing that is a nuisance, however, is that the software is that you periodically have to upload new versions of the software in order to keep accessing even your old file, and there have been several occasions where the manager has been locked up for several days to a weak when the new update isn't ready by the time the old version expires.  Given that the Renderosity version of this product was torpedoed when Rendo re-did their store, I really wish that Taosoft would make the product go to Read Only when the expiration date hits rather than completely locking it up (thought you can, obviously, fool it by changing the date on your computer.) 

The pluses and minuses of the Store's Product Library have been noted by others, so I won't go into them other than to note again that the DAZ Products Bowser adds a lot of functions to the product library, and it can be quicker to use the PL to jump to the product read me or find an invoice date and purchase number. 

I actually find myself using the search function of DIM a lot as well.  It's pretty limited, but if I want to figure out where a product actually installed as opposed to where it theoretically should have installed if PAs didn't insist on creating subfolders with their names, putting sets in props, light presets under lights, etc., there's no fater way than to search for the item in DIM and then check the installation path.  

Finally, when all else fails, trust in Google.   I use it more for products bought at other stores, but when all you can remember is that there was a product that had a stick of butter with it, googling DAZ3d stick of butter will show the way... and then you can use one of the above methods to find out if you have it. 

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,159

Yes . more so now that daz does not include the read me's anymore.

• Yes... I find the  search of studio to be fairly useless and quite slow. It’s  faster to search the store although you run into the same issue as Studio with props not being properly labeled.

Content library. I don't use smart content.

You know when you buy a set which contains all those little scene extras. You know for example you have a broom, but it may not be called that broom? Sometimes it is faster to check the website for broom, than to search library for the prop.

The Smart Content pane's search is, however, more powerful and more configurable so - assuming the database is at least populated - it may be better to use that for searching even if you then right-click on an item in the results and elect to show in the Content Library.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,347
    AllenArt said:

I'm building a file right now with name, image, order date, sku number, etc. of everything I own from the Daz store. Gonna take awhile. LOL I exported from IM as a csv and opened it in Libre Office Calc.

Laurie

DIM will export all of that except the image in a nice CSV file.

The Smart Content pane's search is, however, more powerful and more configurable so - assuming the database is at least populated - it may be better to use that for searching even if you then right-click on an item in the results and elect to show in the Content Library.

I did not know that. Huh. Thanks for the tip. I'll test this out.

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,399

i do browse my product library quite often. usually it's because when i upload sth on devArt, i like to cite the sources/creators (exact name & PA), and it's faster to check the products in the store than to put together the bits of information from the panels in the DS interface, filenames etc.

also, i often remember having (or believe to have, haha) an item but can't pinpoint what it was exactly, in which package - just a vague idea. seeing the pictures in my product library helps me find them in my runtime. and yup i'm one of those who almost rediscovers products i bought ages ago and never used, too :D
    when not my product library, i also browse the store with the browser addon set on "my products" - actually i wish i could pdf print those lists with the thumbnails, would be awesome since i could even separate them by figure etc, but the format is not great once inside print edit...

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,956
    Ati said:
    Ati said:
    nicstt said:
    Ati said:
    th3Digit said:

Could you post an example of this in the addon's thread? https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/106296/announcing-daz-deals-browser-add-on

That's the best place to keep suggestions, because in other threads they will just get lost. Thanks. This is something that could be done, but some clarification would be nice as to what exactly you would find useful.

Thanks I weill paste examples from my DAZ Store My Account Product Library.