L'Adair's WIPs

Comments

• I actually like the non-postworked version better. I love how the DOF looks in it and I'm not crazy about the fact that her cheeks are a little too red. Just a personal preference though. I do love how you focused on the cake topper. Which figures did you use for those? Were those your own morphs? They look good. :)

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Thank you all for the feedback on the two versions. I really like the effect the NIK filter added to the image, it definitely took it out of the realm of "realistic" and made it look more like an artist's rendition with a photo reference. However, I still like the non-postworked version better myself. Say on a scale of 1 to 10, the original gets a 10, while the postworked gets a 9.

@Knittingmommy, Thank you. blush

As it turns out, all the figures are Genesis 3. In the background are Mousso's Celestia and Darwin's Damen, pretty much out-of-the-box. The bobbleheads were created from the base G3 figures, with various morphs, (and there were a lot of them,) to get the doll head look I was going for.

The female is actually two figures: a body and a head. I used DForms to create a bobblehead morph. and I removed the bulk of the mesh. I saved the morph first, but it didn't take, and now I can't get the morph onto the complete figure. (Major screw-up, imo.) I used the Patty for Star 2.0 textures, which look adorable when she's the only one in the viewport. The colors are actually too gray, and I had to warm them up to blend in better. I agree, though, they came out a bit too red. But that's better than the first attempt. She looked a bit blue, like she was low on blood, and he looked too pale. I just needed to add a pair of bloody fangs!

I created the female one day, and the male the next. I tried something different with the male, bouncing back and forth between DS and Hexagon. So I have a couple of bobblehead morphs that will work with any G3M, but there is an issue with the jaw I really don't like. I had to repair his jaw in post, where the morph pulled his neck up and created a "chink" in the jawline. I used Guy 7 materials on him, which were way too dark. I made changes in the translucency color settings to tone it down. and as mentioned above, went a bit too far! And there is quite a bit of Guy 7 in the morphs I used on him. I was originally planning on using G2M, but the tuxedo didn't take to the pose too well, and didn't work with dForce, either.

I'll add some images to the thread soon, showing details of the bobbleheads.

edited May 2021

Okay. Here are some images of the bobbleheads... First, the bride:

BobbleHead Bride, by L'Adair

BobbleHead Bride showing both parts, by L'Adair

Just the head, various views fo BobbleHead Bride, by L'Adair

I had to fix that hairline in post. the Aliza Hair has bangs, but they didn't give the feel of "molded in and painted on," so I removed them. I really liked the effect of the Patty materials, but in the end, they were too gray toned, and too shiny. The last image above is the bobblehead from the final image, after the texture settings were tweaked. In the first two images above, notice the area around the lips and how it looks different? The settings for the lips were different than for the rest of the face, but didn't use maps to complensate for the non-lip area. and a close look at those lips show that the cute little mouth is all texture, not a morph. A few tweaks, including making my own maps, and the line all but disappears. Patty for Star 2.0 really is a cutie.

Post edited by L'Adair on
    edited May 2021

And now the groom:

BobbleHead Groom, by L'Adair

I left off the shirt and jacket so you can see the morphs to the body. This is one figure, not two separate ones like the bride. I straightened out the jawline in Hexagaon, all the way to the back of the head, but when I brought the morph back into Daz, it lost the straight edge. Obviously, I don't really know what I'm doing. lol... but it was sufficient for the image. I straightened the jaw in Post.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Haha making one's own maps does not count as just a little tweaking lol.  I so admire that you do that lol.  They do look amazing and I think she is super cute!  You did a great job on these!

Haha making one's own maps does not count as just a little tweaking lol.  I so admire that you do that lol.  They do look amazing and I think she is super cute!  You did a great job on these!

Well, I made a map to go in the Top Coat setting for the lips by tweaking an existing face map. It's not like I started from scratch...

L'Adair said:

Well, I made a map to go in the Top Coat setting for the lips by tweaking an existing face map. It's not like I started from scratch...

Uh huh.  I can't even find the maps half the time lol.I consistently get the black does this, white does that confused. Like, every, single, time. lol.  And still really struggle with what each setting does.  Something else I will have to learn at some point.  Meanwhile, I will follow along and hope eventually something will stick lol.

edited January 2018
    L'Adair said:

Uh huh.  I can't even find the maps half the time lol.I consistently get the black does this, white does that confused. Like, every, single, time. lol.  And still really struggle with what each setting does.  Something else I will have to learn at some point.  Meanwhile, I will follow along and hope eventually something will stick lol.

Black and White. Just like masks in Photoshop. And I know you've got that down. So for example, you want the Top Coat Weight on the face to be at 1.0, but on the lips, 0.2. (Think of Top Coat as a layer and the value as the blend opacity. 1.0 is 100%, 0.2 is 20%.) So you need to create a mask to go into the Top Coat Weight parameter. The image is completely white, (100%,)  except for the lips, which are light gray, about 20% of black.

L'Adair said:
    L'Adair said:

Black and White. Just like masks in Photoshop. And I know you've got that down. So for example, you want the Top Coat Weight on the face to be at 1.0, but on the lips, 0.2. (Think of Top Coat as a layer and the value as the blend opacity. 1.0 is 100%, 0.2 is 20%.) So you need to create a mask to go into the Top Coat Weight parameter. The image is completely white, (100%,)  except for the lips, which are light gray, about 20% of black.

Ahhh now THAT I understand thank you!

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Love the bobbleheads!  Just think, you could FaceGen and then create bobbles of real people! 

Thank you, Novica.

The cool thing is, I can use the head morphs for various characters. Though removing limits is sometimes needed.

edited May 2021

Taking a quick side track from the bobbleheads for a moment, Llola Lane has set up an alternate Monthly Challenge thread on another forum, PFDLives. It's a member-only site, so stopping in to look around shows you pretty much nothing about them. It's free, though. I signed up to support Llola's "parallel universe" thread, so to speak. And those of us who are signed up both places can submit two images each month, if we'd like, one in each thread.

After finishing the wedding themed image, I had about a week to do a second image. I intended to do something quick. I told myself to use the KISS principle. I tried, I really tried. But I didn't like the results.

Here is the scene, before I started really working on it:

The original scene for Country Road, by L'Adair

(Links to the larger image.)

The first thing I noticed was the road material to blend the road over the tracks left much to be desired. I removed it via Cutout Opacity. immediately. Then I removed the rocks. I used an included morph on the road, and that may have caused the problem, but some of those rocks were floating. And a good rock can derail a train, so I decided to hide those, too.

I really like TerraDome 3, but it uses such large props, the pattern of the textures is readily apparent, especially on the main prop, which is virtually flat so road and tracks fit. To break that up on the closer hills, I added "some" trees, using Ultrascatter. And to break up the expanse of flat land on the right, I added a cattle pen. I also added emissives to the various lights on the props, put figures and hair in the two closer vehicles, (not sure they show up in the Car Ranger,) and made "a few" other modifications.

And here is the final render:

Country Road

Country Road, by L'Adair

(Links go to the gallery page, where you can see the full-size image and a list of products used.)

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

That making of the Bobbleheads is just incredible!  I'm in total awe of your modeling skills!

Linwelly said:

That making of the Bobbleheads is just incredible!  I'm in total awe of your modeling skills!

LOL... my "modeling" skills are pretty much non-existent at this point, but thank you. The female head is a morph created by combining FIVE DForm spheres and spawning them into a single morph. For the male, I used morphs in my runtime to make modifcations, sent it to hexagon, clicked on the figure and sent it back, which created a new morph independent of those I used initially. And I did some things in Hexagon, like select the head and make it larger, but I've since found I can do that easily enough with the Head Propogation Scale morph. And get better results. And both male and female work pretty well, as long as I don't try to close the eyes!

edited May 2021

Mr. Tumnus will fall off the Galleries scrolling banner soon, in the wee hours of Feb 1. His month in the spotlight has come to an end. I'd like to thank, again, everyone who gave him a like and got him up there in the first place. You guys are awesome.

I've been tinkering with Kagiso, and have Stryker on my radar, as well as a James. Phoenix1966 character bought at Rendo. So expect to be seeing some more images soon.
    smiley

edited May 2021

I'm just getting started with Stryker. This is way too early to say anything you see now will be in the final render, other than the character. But I liked what I saw in the viewport, so I snapped a quick shot to share. This is with the default HDRI that comes with DS.

Stryker for Owen 8  |  Renegade for G3M  |  Brendan Hair for G3M

Stryker for Owen 8, in an early WIP render, by L'Adair

I really like his eyes. And his face is very "stryking." Not great lighting, and yet you can see the translucency in the upper part of his nose. I can hardly wait for Stryker to tell me what to do next. I've a feeling this is going to be awesome.

• Looks interesting so far, and thank you!  If the translucency is too much (which it can be since he's so light skinnned), try the lower translucency setting and see how that works!

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Stryker's looking good.

Interesting doodling with the railroad tracks. I haven't tried Terradome (don't know why I even bought it, and all it's components) but I like your filled in tree area. 

With that hair he reminds me very much of Carl from the Walking Dead. He does look really good!

Looks interesting so far, and thank you!  If the translucency is too much (which it can be since he's so light skinnned), try the lower translucency setting and see how that works!

Thank you, Darwin. I'm impressed at how good he looks when I really haven't done anything yet.

Novica said:

Stryker's looking good.

Interesting doodling with the railroad tracks. I haven't tried Terradome (don't know why I even bought it, and all it's components) but I like your filled in tree area. 

Thank you, @Novica. I'm not sure where this is going yet, but I already love Stryker.

TerreDome didn't excite me when it first came out, but then I started seeing some great images using it. I picked it up several months later, (during the PA sale that year, I think,) and I've been adding to it whenever the addons are deeply discounted, even though I don't use it often. I have used the distance prop in scenes without the primary prop. And I've used the primary prop without the distance prop. But I use the HDRIs quite often. Most of the time, if you see TerraDome 3 listed on one of my gallery pages, it's because I used one of it's HDRIs.

With that hair he reminds me very much of Carl from the Walking Dead. He does look really good!

Thank you, @IceDragonArt.

I've never watched the Walking Dead. Up until a year ago, if it wasn't available via antenna, we didn't watch it. And even now, I don't spend a lot of time watching TV. The only reason I got cable was for the fast internet, and the TV bit was only a little more each month. I got it for the hubby. (He doesn't do computers!)

L'Adair said:

Looks interesting so far, and thank you!  If the translucency is too much (which it can be since he's so light skinnned), try the lower translucency setting and see how that works!

Thank you, Darwin. I'm impressed at how good he looks when I really haven't done anything yet.

Novica said:

Stryker's looking good.

Thank you, @Novica. I'm not sure where this is going yet, but I already love Stryker.

TerreDome didn't excite me when it first came out, but then I started seeing some great images using it. I picked it up several months later, (during the PA sale that year, I think,) and I've been adding to it whenever the addons are deeply discounted, even though I don't use it often. I have used the distance prop in scenes without the primary prop. And I've used the primary prop without the distance prop. But I use the HDRIs quite often. Most of the time, if you see TerraDome 3 listed on one of my gallery pages, it's because I used one of it's HDRIs.

Thank you, @IceDragonArt.

I've never watched the Walking Dead. Up until a year ago, if it wasn't available via antenna, we didn't watch it. And even now, I don't spend a lot of time watching TV. The only reason I got cable was for the fast internet, and the TV bit was only a little more each month. I got it for the hubby. (He doesn't do computers!)

That's so funny, my husband is the same way and even when he isn't home, if the tv is on its mostly background noise.

• I love the bobbleheads, too! Are they just strictly morphs? I wonder if you could package the morphs up to sell?  If not, you have to do a tutorial. I so want some of my own. They are so cool. I would definitely buy a product that let me make some easily.

edited May 2021

A couple more of Stryker. I was playing with his translucency settings and the pale look gave me the idea of an albino. I did modify the skin materials in LIE, but the rest of the materials come with Stryker, and the rest of the changes are all in the settings.

albinoid 04, wip render by L'Adair

Albinoid Angel, wip render by L'Adair

I really like that pose on him. It begs to be used up high, with Styrker watching over... something. Maybe watcing over people who need protection; or searching for someone/something evil.

• L'Adair said:

A couple more of Stryker. I was playing with his translucency settings and the pale look gave me the idea of an albino. I did modify the skin materials in LIE, but the rest of the materials come with Stryker, and the rest of the changes are all in the settings.

albinoid 04, wip render by L'Adair

Albinoid Angel, wip render by L'Adair

I really like that pose on him. It begs to be used up high, with Styrker watching over... something. Maybe watcing over people who need protection; or searching for someone/something evil.

He looks stunning!

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Looks great, love what you did with his skin as well as posing.

He looks really good with the pale skin.  Wonder what he would look like with pink eyes.  He is gorgeous!

He looks really good with the pale skin.  Wonder what he would look like with pink eyes.  He is gorgeous!

Thank you, Sonja.

I tried to create pink eyes, and I couldn't get them to look right. I even researched it. The pink color is due to the light reflecting off the retina at the back of the eye, with little or no pigment in the iris to block the light in or the reflecting light out. People with albinism can still have blue, green and brown eyes. (There are some very interesting images for albino eyes on Google Images.)

L'Adair said:

Thank you, Sonja.

I tried to create pink eyes, and I couldn't get them to look right. I even researched it. The pink color is due to the light reflecting off the retina at the back of the eye, with little or no pigment in the iris to block the light in or the reflecting light out. People with albinism can still have blue, green and brown eyes. (There are some very interesting images for albino eyes on Google Images.)

I didn't know that.  Although truthfully, I'm just a fan of exotic eyes lol.

edited February 2018
    L'Adair said:

Thank you, Sonja.

I didn't know that.  Although truthfully, I'm just a fan of exotic eyes lol.

I've read of lavender eyes, especially in fiction, but they aren't common in real life. After searching through google images, looking for albinoid eyes, I started to wonder if lavender eyes are really light blue on a person with mild albinism, where some pink of the reflection is mixing with the blue of the iris to appear lavender...?

L'Adair said:

I've read of lavender eyes, especially in fiction, but they aren't common in real life. After searching through google images, looking for albinoid eyes, I started to wonder if lavender eyes are really light blue on a person with mild albinism, where the some pink of the reflection is mixing with the blue of the iris to appear lavender.

That would make sense for sure.  I probably should have been a bit more clear, I am a big fan of exotic fantasy eyes lol.  Although also realistic exotic eyes.  Of course, if you are going for realism those won't work.