L'Adair's WIPs

Comments

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152

Lovely fuzzy friend you have there :D

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,731

Oh your cat is gorgeous!  Love the one in the bird feeder lol!

Now that's a smart way of feeding both the birds and the cat - birds eat bird food, cat eats birds.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited March 2018

Just foolin' around with some new toys…

Smile, by L'Adair

I started with Giuseppe and mixed in a bit of Ollie 8, spun a few dials, and finally added the HD morph at 100%. I also modified the material settings for the eyes and the teeth. I'm really happy with the way he turned out.

Guess I need to do something with him…

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

I saw that one on the gallery, very nice dialspinning here,  nice making of average person

Linwelly said:

I saw that one on the gallery, very nice dialspinning here,  nice making of average person

Thank you, @Linwelly. I like him so much, I'm going to save a preset of him! Guess I really need to find a name for him, too.

I'm working on a version using Giuseppe's materials, (but my own teeth settings,) using dark hair with a lot of gray. Something other than a simple head shot. I'll post a WIP soon. Maybe tomorrow. (Fingers crossed.)

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

LOL so that was what you were working on that almost made you forget to check out! WELL WORTH IT. (But glad you checked out in time.)  Looks very realistic. VERY. 

Some day I need to do something about teeth material as well, it pays of.  Waiting for the next work with Mr Nameless from you :D

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,074

He looks awesome, L'Adair- well done on this guy. 

• NoswenNoswen Posts: 358

Really well done character :)

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

You have been one very busy lady miss L'Adair!!

All those renders are looking amazing!!!

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    L'Adair said:

Smile, by L'Adair

I started with Giuseppe and mixed in a bit of Ollie 8, spun a few dials, and finally added the HD morph at 100%. I also modified the material settings for the eyes and the teeth. I'm really happy with the way he turned out.

Please allow me to stick my neck out and give you my 2 cents;) Very nice looking character, everything is spot on, expression, hair, brows, lighting, perfect! You did a great job on the eyes and teeth, but the skin is kind of waxy IMO.

L'Adair said:

Smile, by L'Adair

Please allow me to stick my neck out and give you my 2 cents;) Very nice looking character, everything is spot on, expression, hair, brows, lighting, perfect! You did a great job on the eyes and teeth, but the skin is kind of waxy IMO.

Thank you, Sven.

And I have to agree with you on the skin. That's Ollie's materials "out-of-the-box." I started out to contribute something to the Ollie thread, and I rendered a head shot and full-body shot with both Ollie's mats and Giuseppe's for the Ollie 8? thread in The Commons. Then I added the HD to one with Ollie's mats, and I really liked what it added to his face, so much so I published it in my gallery.

However, when I use this character in a "real" render, I'll either use other skin materials, or tweak these. (I need to tweak Ollie's materials at some point, as this is a really nice, lighter skin to use with blondes and redheads.).

@Novica, Thank you. Though what kept me from the checkout was the next image using this character. Working on one with Giuseppe's mats, and I'm going to do an actual scene with him.

@DarwinsMishap, "this guy" had a really good base to start with. wink I think he may be Giuseppe's long lost cousin on the Irish side, about three times removed.

@Noswen, Thank you.

@Saphirewild, Thank you.

Linwelly said:

Some day I need to do something about teeth material as well, it pays of.  Waiting for the next work with Mr Nameless from you :D

@Linwelly, I've noticed that a lot of teeth material settings have Translucency set to Scatter and Transmit. I change that to just Scatter and it gets rid of the odd outline around the teeth. After that, it's color tweaks to tone down the white. I don't think I've ever met an adult with truly white teeth. Another thing I do a lot is apply the Plain White wax shader from the Subsurface Workshop - SSS Shaders for Iray. Off the top of my head, I don't recall if it's the hard wax or soft wax shader, but it gives teeth a really natural look.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

He makes me think of a a backpacker or mountain climber, for whatever reason.  Nice mix.

He makes me think of a a backpacker or mountain climber, for whatever reason.  Nice mix.

Thank you, @Worlds_Edge. The rocks in the background don't hurt, but I think it's the pulled back hair and the plaid shirt. Made me think of a hiker or backpacker, too. lol Oh, and the apparently sunburnt nose!
    laugh

He's looking a lot different with Giuseppe's mats. I'll have to post a head shot here today. After I figure out how to make his eyes look a bit "rheumy"...

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Jeez, I must be going senile - I didn't even notice the background!

Jeez, I must be going senile - I didn't even notice the background!

I prefer to think the face was so captivating you noticed nothing else… wink

edited March 2018

Okay. Here's a sneak peek at the now named character:

Paolo

LA Paolo

This is with Giuseppe's skin materials. I also have Project EYEray, so I modified the sclera. I also combined the normal maps from Guiseppe and Ollie. First time ever I've used Hard Light as a blending mode in the 25+ years I've been using Photoshop, but it was perfect for blending Giuseppe's map into Ollie's without losing the details of either. No expression, just A-Pose and a bit of Eye Clock to have him look into the camera.

(Lighting is just the default HDRI.)

L'Adair said:
    Linwelly said:

@Linwelly, I've noticed that a lot of teeth material settings have Translucency set to Scatter and Transmit. I change that to just Scatter and it gets rid of the odd outline around the teeth. After that, it's color tweaks to tone down the white. I don't think I've ever met an adult with truly white teeth. Another thing I do a lot is apply the Plain White wax shader from the Subsurface Workshop - SSS Shaders for Iray. Off the top of my head, I don't recall if it's the hard wax or soft wax shader, but it gives teeth a really natural look.

Thanks a lot for the pointers, that looks like a good thing to start from!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

He looks great!  In both versions.  Very well done!

edited April 2018

Taking a quick detour from the men, here's my render for Llola's Render a month challenge, Daz Edition. The shape for March is a circle.

Dubious Welcome

Dubious Welcome

Between real life and Darwin's boys, I've been really busy this month. But I was determined to get something entered for March in support of Llola. and the above image is the result. Not my usual style and not as detailed as my scenes usually are, it shouldn't surprise anyone who knows me that I whipped this up in one afternoon. The Moon Gate is the circle, so I created a high-poly plane primitve to use as the ground. The original intent was uneven terrain in front and a hill or two behind, using dForm with weight maps to create morphs. The front went as planned (and it's a happy accident the rock from the shader landed on a raised area.) The back however, took a different turn as I was tinkering…

He looks great!  In both versions.  Very well done!

Thank you, Sonja. blush

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035

I see the orange tabby in your kitty. :) Nicely done renders! You make Ollie look pretty good :)

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,074
    L'Adair said:

Paolo

LA Paolo

This is with Giuseppe's skin materials. I also have Project EYEray, so I modified the sclera. I also combined the normal maps from Guiseppe and Ollie. First time ever I've used Hard Light as a blending mode in the 25+ years I've been using Photoshop, but it was perfect for blending Giuseppe's map into Ollie's without losing the details of either. No expression, just A-Pose and a bit of Eye Clock to have him look into the camera.

He's a great character- well done with the kitbashing on the materials. XD

Liana said:

I see the orange tabby in your kitty. :) Nicely done renders! You make Ollie look pretty good :)

Thank you, Liana.  And yes, the kitty has definitely got the coloring of an orange tabby in there. It gets darker every year, too. When I first saw him, it was so pale it looked more golden than orange.

The challenge now is going to do a 100% Ollie and make that look good! lol

L'Adair said:

Paolo

He's a great character- well done with the kitbashing on the materials. XD

Thank you, Darwin. I'm happy you approve. laugh

edited April 2018

I've been working on a render using Rawart's Feathered Dragon and RiverSoft Arts Dragon Master Bundle. Here's a little something until the real deal is done rendering and entered in the contest. (It means my image of Liam in the alley will become an NAE. I'm really nervous about that…)

Here's the "finished" image I'm using within another image:

Castle Dragons Postwork Large

The goal was to make the rendered image look more like a medieval "illuminated" image. I used ToonyCam Pro to get the outlines. The HDRI lighting is from the castle set. There is one dragon with two instances  The other "dragons" are actually one flock of crows with one instance, but at a great distance, (and massively scaled up.) As this image is part of the background of another image, I wasn't worried about using the crows. Otherwise, I probably would have used a couple more dragons and a couple dozen instances.

Here's the original image. You can see everything looks a bit washed out with that HDRI, very much like things at a distance look in the early morning or shortly before dusk, especially if there's a bit of mist in the air.

Castle Dragons Original Small

edited April 2018

Okay… I've posted the entry in the contest thread, so here's the image, (as yet untitled!)

Ignem Spirans Draconem

Entry: RiverSoft Art's contest

It seemed appropriate to give the image a Latin title as the text in the book is also Latin, courtesy of Google Translate. I actually wrote the beginning of a story, much like it would be told to a child from a great grandparent, or other villager of great age. And then ran it through Translate one sentence at a time. I used Latin and that particular font to give the impression of a book created before the printing press was invented. The image on the page, as mentioned previously, is intended to look like the "illuminated" images those books used. I rendered the columns separately and applied them to the page materials in Photoshop, but removed them from the image after deciding to use the columns in the final render, to support the idea the dragon flew out of the image. While I actually love the final image, I'm not sure it's obvious the dragon came out of the book. It really needs a second dragon climbing out of the image.

So what does the text say? In Latin it's

Ciceronis Duos Draco Scriptor

Scio vos non creditis sunt in dracones: sed sint vera, puer meus amicus. Ait autem amen dico vobis hac fabula, quam ex ipso erat, obsessam ab arce dracones intentus in exitium omnium, qui habitabat in terra.

Draco pinnata medii generis crudelia parvis. Et occidere per voluptatem et dolorem et timorem occidere vigemusque est et victimae eorum. Noli occidere et manducare, sed occidere saepius sunt, quia possunt.

Venientes procul defessa draconum obscurabant tanto sonitu aerem caelumque replevit. Decurrerat multitudo ad castra est magis quam in arce salus muros. Sed lapis comparari ad infirma et cæmento pennáta dracones sunt, perveniat optatum proximum occidendi, et mortuus est plura per noctem.

Sed in finem, salvus sumus per draco. Insignem animal uiuit, nec nisi ab illis qui vere.

As I mentioned above, I used Google Translate on the story, one sentence at a time. Here's the original:

A Story of two Dragons

I know you don't believe in dragons, but they are real, my young friend. Let me tell you a tale of how this very castle was besieged by dragons, intent on the destruction of all who lived in this land.

The feathered dragon is a mean race, petty and cruel. They kill for the pleasure of killing and thrive on both the fear and the pain of their victims. They do kill to eat, but more often they kill because they can.

They came from far away, a clutch of dragons so vast they darkened the sky and filled the air with the sound of thunder. The people ran for the castle, yet more died than made the safety of the castle walls. But stone and mortar are weak compared to the feathered dragons' desire to kill, and many more died by nightfall.

Yet in the end, we were saved by a dragon. A noble creature who lives here still, and can only be seen by those who truly believe.

Not my best writing by far, but sufficient for the purpose. smiley

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

LOVE the dragon render!  Really like the one of the castle as well. Are you aware that there is actually a flock (flight?) of dragons available in the store? 

LOVE the dragon render!  Really like the one of the castle as well. Are you aware that there is actually a flock (flight?) of dragons available in the store? 

Yes, from the same vendor as the Gulls and Crows. It's pretty cool, but I didn't buy it when it was released, as I don't do enough with the dragons to see the need. But I may go ahead and pick it up when it's on sale, if the price and budget align. As it is, you can't even make out the primary dragon on the book page, let alone the clutch in the background. I could have done that image with just the one dragon, or perhaps with no dragon at all!
    laugh

Thank you, too. I'm glad to hear you "love" the image. I always feel a bit nervous with images outside of my usual, or it there is significant postwork. This one is both! And considering how good you are with postwork, it feels really good you "love" it.
    blush heart